Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help my sanity...another new bike thread

Options
  • 03-08-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Why is it that I can buy houses/cars/holidays etc without losing any sleep but as soon as I think about new bikes I procrastinate worse than Hamlet!

budget €2500 but could go a bit more
    requirement: TT bike for IM

other info.
    Going to be in the states in November. I'm humming and ha-ing about getting a European bike now and using it in the November race or holding out for the (inevitable) better value in the USA.

I like the look of the felt B12 in the first instance (with upgraded wheels) but I keep hearing what good value planet X are? Then again as soon as I look elsewhere I like almost everything I see.

Current ride is a specialized Ruby pro (51cm) and a hack for getting around.

I know most of the irish shops and UK sites. Does anyone know good german bike sites. We're in Germany quite often so easy to get a bike home even if they only deliver nationally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Felt's are a very aggressive ride, well that is any felt with the bayonet fork, very very aggresive. The bayonet fork is one of the best features of the felts however. If can't generate power in a very aggresive position, or aren't superbly flexible I don't thing that these are the bikes for you.

Planet-X??? Tut tut Hunnymonster, I would have thought that you'd have know better than to be tempted by a nice group set and wheels. Its all about the frame - get the best frame you're money can buy and you're set for years.

2500 euro - is that for complete bike or do you have components that you can reuse? i.e. aerobars, wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You're dead right Tunney, that Planet X Stealth is a hopeless frame, that Cadel Evans bloke was fluked to win that TT in the 2007 Tour De France on it......

The Felt is probably the better frame, but not 500 euro's better. I'm going to get the Planet X and with the money I save, build up one of their 82mm rims (only £99 in the 32 hole version at the moment - I have a new Record Hub that would suit), get a Corima Disk and then a few Dura Ace bits and some cheap Easton Attack bars on Ebay.... should be good enough for a fred like me !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Current ride is a specialized Ruby pro.

Me Too! Ruby Pro 2008 ( sz 44 though ) Great ride! Bought from R&A cycles in Brooklyn.

I would definately wait and get a bikes from the US, if you can ... better value :)

However, why don't you just get a nice set of Zipp 808 or even 909 and some nice aero bars to fit on your Ruby when you need it? The ruby is an amazing bike and defo lighter and better equiped than any TT bike you can find for 2500quid.

G:pac:t the Zipps!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Does anyone know good german bike sites. We're in Germany quite often so easy to get a bike home even if they only deliver nationally?
    I've had good experience with http://www.starbike.com (Germany) - only parts, so far though.

Advertisement