Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I migrate ?

Options
  • 03-08-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've just taken possession of Windows Vista Ultimate. Its an upgrade version so will it upgrade over Windows XP Prof.

Will I see any benefits in my pc which is a Quad Core with 4 Gigs of memory ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Connrang wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've just taken possession of Windows Vista Ultimate. Its an upgrade version so will it upgrade over Windows XP Prof.

Will I see any benefits in my pc which is a Quad Core with 4 Gigs of memory ?

Thanks,

DirectX10 support, that's it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Games run a little slower on Vista than Xp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It looks kinda nicer for awhile... :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies, seems the con's may outweigh the pro's. I'll have to read some articles and see how to proceed, I do intend to add an extra 4 gigs so that was my main reason to upgrade, that and my video card is a bit outdated and I'm hoping to pickup an ATI HD4580 this week.....hmmm, decisions decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Only 64-bit OS's can reference more than 4 gigs of memory, including video memory. You can't upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, it requires a fresh installation. So unless you are running XP pro 64 you will need to buy a new copy of Vista 64 to get the benefit of more than 4 gb of memory.

I don't like upgrading from one OS to another, I would usually format and install afresh but the upgrade Vista editions don't allow for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

sink wrote: »
    ......................to get the benefit of more than 4 gb of memory.

More than 3.25GB actually, 4GB total, less what Vista assigns to devices, gpu etc

Advertisement