Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai shut down Spraoi gig

• 03-08-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Saturday, 2nd August - Garter Lane courtyard - about 6.15pm

There was a good crowd of maybe 200 people at “Tech Park”, a dance music event which was part of the official Spraoi programme, and was featured in the Spraoi booklet. So why was this gig shut down by the local Gardai? They showed up and asked local DJ Alan Harris to turn off the music and told everyone to go away! I don’t know what their reason is, other than they hate dance music and people having a great time. There was nothing illegal being committed. Everyone was just dancing, enjoying themselves. The crowd was made up of people from about 12 to 30 years old. I didn’t see any underage drinking or people on drugs. In fact this event had a few security guards not letting people in with drink, the reason being because it was a “family event.” Of course some people managed to get a drink in, but that’s hardly reason enough for a dozen Gardai to raid the place. No one was arrested, searched or questioned. There were a few detectives included in the Gardai, and I recognised the man who made the DJ turn off the music is with the DS, which would suggest that the gig was shut down for drug related reasons.

There was a lot of booing and chants for one more tune when the music stopped. Everyone eventually made their way out of Garter Lane courtyard to see a paddy wagon and another bunch of Gardai outside on O’Connell Street. More chanting by the crowd before everyone gradually dispersed.

It’s an absolute disgrace that the Gardai can just shut down an event that is part of Spraoi. Imagine if they closed down any other event? Don’t the Gardai have more important things to be doing than ruining a Spraoi event?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

First I heard of it, but the guards dont usually shut down anything without authorisation from higher authorities and without good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It’s an absolute disgrace that the Gardai can just shut down an event that is part of Spraoi. Imagine if they closed down any other event? Don’t the Gardai have more important things to be doing than ruining a Spraoi event?

To be honest, I doubt they did it for the laugh. Reasons are not always apparent, but to say they closed it because they hate dance music is just silly.

Not everything has full authorisation to go ahead for the week, and a lot of things are taken for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i can't think of any reason why this event had to be stopped. nothing illegal was happening.
    Not everything has full authorisation to go ahead for the week

this event was in the spraoi brochure - check it out on www.spraoi.com - this would surely mean the event had the authority to go ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

i can't think of any reason why this event had to be stopped. nothing illegal was happening.

Can you honestly say that you know for a fact that everybody who was at that gig was doing nothing illegal? You say that there was no drugs did you personally search everyone to be sure of that fact?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There could be many reasons why the gig was shutdown. You have made the accusation before that Gardai are out to get those into dance and shut any event playing dance down. You dont know the facts, dont go spouting stuff you dont know anything about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

200 people you say? Garter Lane courtyard you say?

From being there, I think the courtyard is fairly small for a capacity like this. Can't be 100% sure though.

Maybe the event was shut down for safety reasons, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sounds like they were trying to pass off a rave as a family event.....Garda don't like dance music that's a well know fact, more than 120bpm and they'll shut you down...:rolleyes:

sounds like they were trying to pass off a rave as a family event.....

I doubt Sparoi would do it, they need the Guards permission to run any such event.
    Garda don't like dance music that's a well know fact, more than 120bpm and they'll shut you down...:rolleyes:

Fact? Where is your proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Can you honestly say that you know for a fact that everybody who was at that gig was doing nothing illegal? You say that there was no drugs did you personally search everyone to be sure of that fact?

then we should shut down schools because can you honestly say that you know for a fact that everybody who was at that school was doing nothing illegal? You say that there was no drugs did you personally search everyone to be sure of that fact?

What time was the event shut down by the gardaí?

• Advertisement

Phototoxin wrote: »
    then we should shut down schools because can you honestly say that you know for a fact that everybody who was at that school was doing nothing illegal? You say that there was no drugs did you personally search everyone to be sure of that fact?

If a school was being used to deal drugs or to get pissed, the Guards would be in there pretty fast and root out the cause of shut it down.

Illegal activities in a school is very serious business.

could have been well less than that, i'm not sure to be honest but there was a good crowd there.
    sure the city centre was full of other events and people could easliy be on drugs or whatever. could you imagine the gardai shutting down the AOL stage in John Roberts Square because of a few people they suspected someone doing something illegal, and then telling the whole crowd to leave? it's madness, really is.

Chochese wrote: »

Anybody??

sure the city centre was full of other events and people could easliy be on drugs or whatever. could you imagine the gardai shutting down the AOL stage in John Roberts Square because of a few people they suspected someone doing something illegal, and then telling the whole crowd to leave? it's madness, really is.

It depends how bad it is - usually they will arrest on site but if its getting fairly bad in a confined area I would expect them to move in and shut it down for safety reasons.

From being there, I think the courtyard is fairly small for a capacity like this. Can't be 100% sure though.

Maybe the event was shut down for safety reasons, no?

Exactly. The might have booked the venue for indoors too, and brought it outdoors. It might even have been Garter Lane that rang the gardai looking for assistance.

Who knows?

And fwiw, I'm sure there are more than a handful of gardai that like dance music. Muscial taste is hardly drilled into them. Fact my arse.

i don't think there were any health & safety issues. the courtyard wasn't rammed with people. plenty of room to move around.
    about 6.15pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I refer to the OP where it was stated that it didn't look like there were people doing drugs. And there is a difference between the AOL stage and a techno gig in garter lane.

1. AOL stage is out in the open and the main square of town so there is a lot more casual foot traffic. The acts are more diverse and attract a more varied crowd. I'm not saying that there is not a chance that some people who go to the AOL stage are on drugs.

2. Techno Music has a reputation for being synonymous with drug use. So they are monitored more closely than other types of gigs.

Just cause you didn't see anything illegal doesn't mean it wasn't happening. You don't know the reasons for the gig being shut down, so please refrain from giving out about the gardai.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Exactly. The might have booked the venue for indoors too, and brought it outdoors. It might even have been Garter Lane that rang the gardai looking for assistance.

Who knows?
    the event was booked for the courtyard. it says so in the spraoi brochure.

why and what would garter lane need assistance for?

Im very confident, as in in put money on it, that the guards didnt turn around and decide "Ah this music sucks, fecking dance people. Right lads, lets shut it down".

Also note that Waterford was fully of Gardai from various different stations around Ireland. They were not all Waterford.

ec18 wrote: »
    Just cause you didn't see anything illegal doesn't mean it wasn't happening. You don't know the reasons for the gig being shut down, so please refrain from giving out about the gardai.

Also, a lot of drug use and swapping is very secretive. Not noticeable to the casual eye.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    so let's say for argument sake that someone was dealing drugs there - is that reason to shut the whole event down?

i won't stop giving out about the gardai until i hear the official explanation.
    Im very confident, as in in put money on it, that the guards didnt turn around and decide "Ah this music sucks, fecking dance people. Right lads, lets shut it down".
    i don't think they shut it down based on their taste in music, but they are known for having a bad attitude towards dance music.

Also note that Waterford was fully of Gardai from various different stations around Ireland. They were not all Waterford[/quote]
    the main man who got the dj to turn off the decks is based in waterford.

the event was booked for the courtyard. it says so in the spraoi brochure.

why and what would garter lane need assistance for?

I'm making a guess. As I said at the end of the post, who knows.

There could have been too many people there, putting the area over it's limit, introducing a fire/health hazard. Maybe something was going on that wasn't obvious to the public. Again, who knows.

But it wasn't because the gardai don't like dance/techno etc. Though if you really think it is, you should probably get onto the Garda Ombudsman right away. He'll sort them out...

so let's say for argument sake that someone was dealing drugs there - is that reason to shut the whole event down?

Stupid argument put forward when we don't know that was the reason, or ever might be the reason.
    i won't stop giving out about the gardai until i hear the official explanation.

I guess you don't get on well with the Guards so. The bashing of Guards when you have absolutely no idea AT ALL why it was closed down is just silly.

Go ask the Guards yourself.
    i don't think they shut it down based on their taste in music, but they are known for having a bad attitude towards dance music.

And you have proof of this I assume?
    the main man who got the dj to turn off the decks is based in waterford.

He needs to get permission from higher authorities before he can shut down an event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

If you've got a complaint about them why not ring them and ask them why it was stopped. We don't know the reason so there's no point asking us as to why it was shut down. That or else ring Garter Lane and question them.

i just rang spraoi (garter lane numbers were ringing out) - person there said it could have been closed down because of drinking, which isn't allowed at garter lane because it's not a licensed premises and there was apparently some disrespect to the building.

That's 100% understandable.

Fellah in the background. Without a shadow of a doubt, could be a CB fan.

Now, run up to the charter, and check point No. 5 about image sizes, and get that down to something that I can see in a single screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Sully wrote: »
    Also, a lot of drug use and swapping is very secretive. Not noticeable to the casual eye.

You would be surprised what you would pick up by just browsing past a crowd.

I was driving past City sqaure yesterday and a certain shop had loud dance music going with a big crowd out side (not a crowd you would like around most places :p). Caught a glimps of lads passing a bottle around and sniffing it not caring if people saw or not. Now it was probably only poppers or something like that. But ya think they would have been a bit more discreet with the ammount of kids and that around.

i just rang spraoi (garter lane numbers were ringing out) - person there said it could have been closed down because of drinking, which isn't allowed at garter lane because it's not a licensed premises and there was apparently some disrespect to the building.

Seriously?

Damn guards. How DARE they enforce the law. How DARE THEY!

Its obvious now folks, that guards hate people who like dance music and clearly and deliberately shut down the event because of the music.

Anyone up for a protest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the leader 64

the reason i heard is that travelling people were hanging around and was pick pcketing as well.

With all the fighting go on at the moment they should be locked up or better the army should move in with FLAME THROWERS and burn them out.

They are a disgrace to Waterford City

Advertisement