Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai shut down Spraoi gig

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

the reason i heard is that travelling people were hanging around and was pick pcketing as well.

With all the fighting go on at the moment they should be locked up or better the army should move in with FLAME THROWERS and burn them out.

They are a disgrace to Waterford City

Congratulations - you have earned yourself a nice ban :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Sully wrote: »
    Seriously?

Damn guards. How DARE they enforce the law. How DARE THEY!

Its obvious now folks, that guards hate people who like dance music and clearly and deliberately shut down the event because of the music.

Anyone up for a protest?

Cop on Sully, the lad did something about what he felt was wrong by calling Garter Lane and Spraoi and stated in a factual manner what he heard.

Your response is utterly uncalled for and in no way relates to that particular post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Do any of these look like Chemical Brothers fans to you:pac:

<snip - see charter>

That doesn't mean they don't listen to the Chemical Brothers. I don't look like a Chemical Brothers fan but i like a few of their songs. And there is a big difference between people not liking music and actually going to the bother of shutting gigs down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Roen wrote: »
    Cop on Sully, the lad did something about what he felt was wrong by calling Garter Lane and Spraoi and stated in a factual manner what he heard.

Your response is utterly uncalled for and in no way relates to that particular post.

Perhaps I was a bit to harsh, but the OP has yet to apologise for accusing the guards of shutting the festival down because they don't like the music. He was wrong and was insistent he was right.

The OP needs to grow up and cop himself on.

EDIT: Its also worthwhile noting, this is not the first time the OP has made such accusations against the Guards on the Waterford Forum. Garda bashing is not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ec18 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they don't listen to the Chemical Brothers. I don't look like a Chemical Brothers fan but i like a few of their songs. And there is a big difference between people not liking music and actually going to the bother of shutting gigs down.

You've completley missed my point, What I was trying to say was that if the Garda know there is a Dance Music event and there are drugs there they will shut it down if possible, as this was such a small event it would have been easy to pull the plug without causing to much fuss.....I don't think this is what happend, I'd say it was got to do with health and saftey or something like that...
    I've been at plenty of gigs & partys the guards tried to shut down....it's not uncommon...

• Advertisement

It was shut down due to alchol being consumed on a premisses with no license and some damage was done to the building. The OP decided to actually ask the organisers after slamming the guardai. He got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fair Enough Sully, apologies for the tone of my post by the way. Hangovers can get the better of me sometimes :pac:

Roen wrote: »
    Fair Enough Sully, apologies for the tone of my post by the way. Hangovers can get the better of me sometimes :pac:

Nah your grand. Id agree with you normally but in this case, the OP needs to be the one to cop on hence my unusual comment :)

Drinking = Bold :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If the gig was shut down then something changed since it was previously approved by the local Supt or C/Supt. Ordinary guards only act under the orders of superiors.

To accuse gardaí of shutting a disco/gig down because they didn't like the music is childish and, quite frankly, insulting. There is no "killjoy" element to it.

I can't speculate on the whys of what happened, but there was a reason for it, be it drugs, capacity, public order offences or licensing issues that were not apparent at the outset.

Who told you it was over drugs?

EDIT: Just saw Sully's posts. Licensing issues were the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

seriously to whomever said the guards shut it down because of the style of music...

**just rolls eyes to heaven!

• Advertisement

Cleaned the topic. Off topic stuff about being above the law etc. moved to After Hours. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i just rang spraoi (garter lane numbers were ringing out) - person there said it could have been closed down because of drinking, which isn't allowed at garter lane because it's not a licensed premises and there was apparently some disrespect to the building.

This is 100% understandable, its just the Gardai doing their job

Frankly any comments made regarding the Gardai shutting it down because they don't like the music is pure bollox, anyone making such comments needs to grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ec18 wrote: »
    techno gig

Techno Music

Techno? has anyone called it that in the last decade? showing your age lad :P

and there seems to be a lot of "establishment" attitudes on this thread...wheres the outrage lads....... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Techno? has anyone called it that in the last decade? showing your age lad :P

and there seems to be a lot of "establishment" attitudes on this thread...wheres the outrage lads....... ;)

here's the outrage, back me up if you can against these redneck hicks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56780750&posted=1#post56780750

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

here's the outrage, back me up if you can against these redneck hicks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56780750&posted=1#post56780750

boards.ie has rules may I suggest that if you don't like them post somewhere else, otherwise take your complaint about sully to feedback or help desk as this forum or afterhours are not the places to do this

Anyway, may I suggest that you once again don't drag this thread or others off topic as it only pisses off other posters when you keep doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The OP needs to grow up and cop himself on.

EDIT: Its also worthwhile noting, this is not the first time the OP has made such accusations against the Guards on the Waterford Forum. Garda bashing is not cool.
    :rolleyes:
    It was shut down due to alchol being consumed on a premisses with no license and some damage was done to the building. The OP decided to actually ask the organisers after slamming the guardai. He got it wrong.
    a few people were drinking cans. i didn't see any people abusing the building but maybe there was. all i saw was everyone dancing. i don't think the gig needed to be shut down because of this, hence why i am still pissed off at the gardai. couldn't they just have arrested the few people who were doing damage instead. it was probably just a few kids or scumbags doing it, why punish everyone else who were behaving. and about the drink on an unlicensed premises, does that mean that anyone drinking on the plaza or in john roberts square would be reason for the gardai to turn off the music.

by the way, the person at spraoi who i spoke to was very clear to me that this was not the official reason the gig was shut down. that is what she heard but didn't know for certain.
    Techno? has anyone called it that in the last decade? showing your age lad tongue.gif
    techno music is a genre of dance music, so yes people still call it that.

So wait.. the premises had no license for alcohol yet it had it. They broke the law, and you wanted the Guards to let it slide? Its nothing to do with their like or dislike for the music - at least admit it and apologise for making such a retarded accusation.

EDIT: With regards to alcohol being consumed outside of private property - the Guards wavered the law for the event which is very common. Your fully permitted to drink at the Plaza or John Roberts Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

a few people were drinking cans. i didn't see any people abusing the building but maybe there was. all i saw was everyone dancing. i don't think the gig needed to be shut down because of this, hence why i am still pissed off at the gardai. couldn't they just have arrested the few people who were doing damage instead.

From a few people that I was talking to last night, there was property damage to Garter Lane itself, including windows being broken. They were saying that as far as they knew, Garter Lane rang the Gardai themselves. :)

So wait.. the premises had no license for alcohol yet it had it. They broke the law, and you wanted the Guards to let it slide? Its nothing to do with their like or dislike for the music - at least admit it and apologise for making such a retarded accusation.
    no, garter lane weren't selling the beer, some people just sneaked in a few cans. and what's with the attitude? why are you demanding an apology? you are being very confrontational for a mod, especially with the retard comment.

i said "I don’t know what their reason is, other than they hate dance music and people having a great time." Now i obviously didn't mean that 100% literally, but yes i think the gardai do have a problem with dance music and were only too happy to shut down the event. maybe they could have sent a garda in to make sure no one was doing any damage instead of shutting the whole thing down? there were about 3 garter lane security there too, where were they during the alleged incidents?
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    From a few people that I was talking to last night, there was property damage to Garter Lane itself, including windows being broken. They were saying that as far as they knew, Garter Lane rang the Gardai themselves. :)
    yeah it sounds like garter lane might have called the gardai if there was damage like that done. just a huge pity that this happened, the atmosphere at the event was absolutely brilliant, didn't see anything like that anywhere else during spraoi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

there were about 3 garter lane security there too, where were they during the alleged incidents?
    Tbh, if there was damage being done, calling the Gardai is the best thing to do - It could have turned out different if 3 chaps volunteering for Spraoi asked the troublemakers to stop, and 3 Gardai asked the troublemakers to stop. In a perfect world though, there wouldn't have been any trouble at all.

yeah it sounds like garter lane might have called the gardai if there was damage like that done. just a huge pity that this happened, the atmosphere at the event was absolutely brilliant, didn't see anything like that anywhere else during spraoi.
    It is a shame that it happened, but if it had to be done, it had to be done. Shutting down the gig isn't the easiest of options, and I'm pretty sure that the Gardai didn't enjoy doing it - I'm sure they got their fair share of stick over it, especially when they probably had better things to be doing - Even if that was taking a rest or whatever. I don't think 'shut down' is the first thing that pops into their mind, but because it was probably the only action that was visible to the public and effective in stopping the trouble, people jump to conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

at least admit it and apologise for making such a retarded accusation.

Out of respect to people with mental health diffilculties I would think that sort of language is not needed/appropiate here on the boards.
    Thanks

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Out of respect to people with mental health diffilculties I would think that sort of language is not needed/appropiate here on the boards.
    Thanks

Not sure about you but I would never refer to somebody with special needs as "retarded", that in itself is offensive,

Using the word retarded to refer to somebody thats acted the muppet and has clearly jumped the gun is very clearly different to somebody with special needs.

Frankly I'd be concerned that you appear to refer to somebody with special needs as retarded...atleast in your post anyway.....

no, garter lane weren't selling the beer, some people just sneaked in a few cans. and what's with the attitude? why are you demanding an apology? you are being very confrontational for a mod, especially with the retard comment.

Im posting as a user, not a mod. I am fully entitled to my views, as long as I obey the forum charter and board rules. This is not the first time you have accused the Guards of shutting down events because of the music type. Its silly. If your going to make such stupid accusations without proof, then at least be prepared to apologise when you have been proven wrong. The Guards did NOT shut down the event because of the music or because people were having such a good time (for god sake, they gave permission for the Sproai event to be run!). This bashing of the guards is silly and rude. Its also very immature and insulting to members of the force.
    i said "I don’t know what their reason is, other than they hate dance music and people having a great time." Now i obviously didn't mean that 100% literally, but yes i think the gardai do have a problem with dance music and were only too happy to shut down the event. maybe they could have sent a garda in to make sure no one was doing any damage instead of shutting the whole thing down? there were about 3 garter lane security there too, where were they during the alleged incidents?

Most of my comment above addresses the garda bashing, so ill move on and address the "Why" bit. Garter Lane is private property, so would not be usually guarded by members of the local Guardai. Management would usually arrange for such protection - which I assume was not requested. Moving on, a member of public or the staff themselves would have called the Guards to the event if it was becoming a problem. They don't enter the premisses on their own accord.

Well don't blame the Guards - blame Garter Lane.

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Thanks

The term "retarded" is an offensive / slang term used to refer to people with mental health problems. I think such terms are rude and inappropriate. I have never used the term to describe such people nor have I ever implied it. The term used in my post, which the OP used also (and was not asked to remove it), was used in the context to describe how stupid and pathetic the comments made by the OP are. It is not used to describe the OP as having any mental health problems. Sorry if it offends, but lets be fair about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

With regards to alcohol being consumed outside of private property - the Guards wavered the law for the event which is very common. Your fully permitted to drink at the Plaza or John Roberts Square.

They werent leaving people on to the plaza with drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jaysus Sully you're a busy man with all the law defending lately! Whats with all the law bashing here people? They obviously had a reason to shut it down - and despite what you may think, you do not have to be told that reason.

They werent leaving people on to the plaza with drink

Really? Wonder why. A lot of public places drink was being allowed to be consumed, I guess this is one area it wasnt!

Archimedes wrote: »
    Jaysus Sully you're a busy man with all the law defending lately!

I have a dislike for people who make stupid accusations and bash members of Guardai without a genuine complaint with proof. This isn't the first time the OP has done it, and the accusation about shutting it down because guards don't like people having fun makes me wonder!

i'm not bashing the law, more criticising the gardai's decision to shut the gig down.
    The term used in my post, which the OP used also (and was not asked to remove it),
    hang on now, i didn't use the word retard in an offensive manner like you did. i was merely referring to your comment.
    I am fully entitled to my views
    i never said you weren't entitled to your views. you don't seem to think i'm entitled to my views about the matter though.
    then at least be prepared to apologise when you have been proven wrong.
    :rolleyes: who are you to be demanding apologies eh.
    and the accusation about shutting it down because guards don't like people having fun makes me wonder!
    i explained this in my previous post.

• Advertisement

i'm not bashing the law, more criticising the gardai's decision to shut the gig down.

Ok so the Gardai are called by the owners of the property to sort out trouble, they Gardai make the decision to shutdown the venue as the best way to resolve the problems peacefully.

Would you prefer their was actual trouble and people's safetly was put at risk?, I certainly wouldn't!

The Gardai are trained to deal with situation were there's trouble, there most likely better suited to make such a decision then yourself :)

Advertisement