Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipts

Options
  • 03-08-2008 1:24pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or have others noticed the increase in retailers (usually supermarkets) asking you if you want your receipt or not? Aren't they required by law to provide a receipt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I suspect that if they have an exchange / refund policy based on having a receipt then they are obliged to give you a receipt or else they would have to drop their receipt based policy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hagar wrote: »
    I suspect that if they have an exchange / refund policy based on having a receipt then they are obliged to give you a receipt or else they would have to drop their receipt based policy.

AFAIK (and I am not a law person) the illegal-ness happens if a retailer refuses to provide a reciept for a transaction if asked.

If you walk out of the shop without a reciept and you never looked to get it it's basically tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

kbannon wrote: »
    Is it just me or have others noticed the increase in retailers (usually supermarkets) asking you if you want your receipt or not? Aren't they required by law to provide a receipt?
    But they are providing the receipt :confused: They are just not forcing it on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

SDooM wrote: »
    AFAIK (and I am not a law person) the illegal-ness happens if a retailer refuses to provide a reciept for a transaction if asked.

If you walk out of the shop without a reciept and you never looked to get it it's basically tough luck.
    Go in to law your spot on :D a shop has to have the facility to give a receipt although they don't legally have to give them out unless requested by the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Go in to law your spot on :D a shop has to have the facility to give a receipt although they don't legally have to give them out unless requested by the customer.
    Not according to a response from the NCA in a recent thread around here. The NCA maintain that retailers do not, by law, have to provide a receipt at all, but if they refuse after one is requested, the consumer is entitled to cancel the transaction (with refund) and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Maybe it's the cynicism of old age creeping in but I think a retailer who is un-reasonable enough to refuse a receipt is hardly the type of person to say "Yes of course you may have a full cash refund this minute sir."

Are the NCA in touch with the real world at all?

Hagar wrote: »
    Maybe it's the cynicism of old age creeping in but I think a retailer who is un-reasonable enough to refuse a receipt is hardly the type of person to say "Yes of course you may have a full cash refund this minute sir."

Are the NCA in touch with the real world at all?

God, the NCA...

Every Christmas they run ads with a tag line along the lines of "If you are refused a refund on a product point blank that is illegal."

I often wonder if these ads are deliberately misleading on purpose, because every year I used to get hundreds of people demanding a refund when they were weren't entitled because they say an ad saying "you HAVE to give me a refund".

Damn unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

kbannon wrote: »

No there not

Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding retailers issuing receipts.

There is no specific legislation as to what is required on a receipt, andit is down to the shops own discretion as to how they refer to the productbeing purchased.

There is no legal requirement on a retailer or service provider to providea receipt at the time of transaction. However, a consumer is entitled toask for a receipt and if one is refused they can decide not to go aheadwith the transaction.

Further information on your consumer rights may be accessed on our websiteat www.consumerconnect.ie. We hope you find this information helpful. Kind sincerely,

Maeve Lonergan

National Consumer Agency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You should take any supermarket ones. There's buy one get one free on Big Macs (Dunnes) on the back, and Quarter pounders with cheese (Tesco).

I give everyone their receipt, even if they're just buying an umbrella that'll barely make it down the street. Lots of people don't take a receipt for these and other small things, not my problem. I haven't noticed it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

what about being stopped by security on the way out,legal minefield?

dsane1 wrote: »
    what about being stopped by security on the way out,legal minefield?

Often wondered about that myself. Sometimes they look for a receipt, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Not really. Burden of proof is generally with the shop if they want to accuse you of shoplifting.

If they do ask you, it's really just a question of seeing what your reaction will be.

Any store which relies on receipts to manage shoplifting is going nowhere. I believe that there used to be a respected tradition in Dublin of buying a bottle of Coke, getting a receipt, going back into the shop, stealing another one and walking out with it in plain view, being stopped by security and producing the receipt from the earlier transaction.

Advertisement