Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roddy Doyle

Options
  • 03-08-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

What is your favourite Roddy Doyle novel?

Personally, I like 'The Van' best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Haven't read anything from him in a long, long time. I thought "A star called Henry" was his best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha.

I think everyone can relate to at least some part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The Van.

Although I've only read the Barrytown books, and Paddy Clarke Ha Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Has anyone read the sequel to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yep read it, 'Paula Spencer' its a good read, if a little depressing, also a little hard to get back into his style of writing - his short sentance conversation style paragraph's. I am sure thats not a good way to describe it, but anyway.

On Roddy Doyle in general, you can't but love the Barrytown triology, they are a real tribute to 80's/90's ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just to be different [the barrytown books are clearly brilliant, but this will be a crap thread if everyone just lists the same 1 or 2 books!] Im going to say, "oh play that thing"

It was a totally different book for him to write, set in 30's [?] America, not a northsider in sight!

I read it in a single weekend. Really very good indeed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

gogo wrote: »
    Yep read it, 'Paula Spencer' its a good read, if a little depressing, also a little hard to get back into his style of writing - his short sentance conversation style paragraph's. I am sure thats not a good way to describe it, but anyway.

On Roddy Doyle in general, you can't but love the Barrytown triology, they are a real tribute to 80's/90's ireland.

I think that was the one that was made into the BBC show, 'Family', was filmed in Dublin. It was great as I recall but quite gritty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I loved the Giggler Treatment when I read it. It's hilarious. I think I was about 11 when I first read it, and it made me laugh pretty much every page.

Advertisement