Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood in dog's faeces

Options
  • 03-08-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

My shih-tzu has had a skin allergy most of her life. Recently it became much worse and I had to take her to the vet several times. She had a steroid injection a few weeks ago, and has been on anti-histamine tablets ever since. I also wash her twice a week with a special skin allergy shampoo. She seems much better, but today I noticed she had alot of blood in her faeces. The faeces also seemed mucusy. She does not seem unwell though. Does anyone know what this could be? I cannot afford to keep taking her to the vet. Also her back legs seem to just give way occasionally for no apparent reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fresh blood would suggest the lower intestinal tract and the dog equivalent of hamorroids. Congealed or semi-digested blood would suggest the upper intestinal tract and could be more serious.

Go to vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Do you think the vet will aks for a sample? Any idea if tests, etc will be necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Also, do you think blood in the faeces could be a sign that the dog needs to be wormed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I fostered a dog which had colitis which I brought to the vet and it cleared up see link http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/colitis.html thanks to the vet.

Go to the vet to get your dog properly diagnosed.

Advertisement