Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance change of location

Options
  • 03-08-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

in september im going back to college in carlow im currently living in monaghan and my insurance is down as monaghan i was wondering should i change my insurance to carlow as i will be there 90% of the time bar the odd weekend when i will go home, i know carlow has a lower insurance rating as when ive done online car quotes its comes out nearly €200 less then monaghan,if i change my location with insurance will the quote be reduced???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What's the address on your log book and your license? If its the one in monaghan then use that. If your stopped by the garda and they ask to see your details they'll ask why your address on your insurance doesn't match your license.

When your insurance ask where your car is mainly kept and used, you say Carlow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What's the address on your log book and your license? If its the one in monaghan then use that. If your stopped by the garda and they ask to see your details they'll ask why your address on your insurance doesn't match your license.

When your insurance ask where your car is mainly kept and used, you say Carlow.
    Thats very poor advice.
    The OPs permanent address is Monaghan so that can be retained for ownership reasons. A garda isn't going to say boo to this!
    However, the insurance company should know about the change of address because the risk element changes when your address changes. It is also specified IIRC on all policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

your insurance company will tell you to insure it at the address where it will spend 4 nights of the week

technically i guess you should change the address on the VRC.

as for your license, my address is my family home (KK), but i get letters from dept of trans to my dublin address!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats very poor advice.
    The OPs permanent address is Monaghan so that can be retained for ownership reasons. A garda isn't going to say boo to this!
    However, the insurance company should know about the change of address because the risk element changes when your address changes. It is also specified IIRC on all policies.

If that was the case then why don't insurance companies just assume that the address the proposer has provided is where the vehicle is mainly kept and used?

The risk element is where the vehicle is mainly kept and used not the address that the proposer gives.

An insurance schedule will have the name and address of proposer on top and then down further they will have "Area where car is mainly kept and sleeps"

ie: Joe Bloggs
    123 Main Street,
    Co. Monaghan

Car: Honda Civin 1.4 LS 4 door saloon

Reg: 02 D 12345

Area where vehicle is mainly used and sleeps: Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i think ill contact my insurance company before i go to carlow and see what they suggest prob best to change area of use to carlow because i with quinn till early next year when hopefully i change to a different insurer and i know quinn if any claim was to be made the slightest loop hole and they have you by the .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

This could be considered as a "material fact" so you are better to declare it.

Just tell the insurance company what you are doing and leave it to them to do what, if anything, they want.

You might like to ask them if there will be a reduction in premium.

Communicate with them in writing, preferably by e-mail. This leaves you with a trace or evidence of the communication to them. This is important as insurance companies are incompetent gits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Once your car spends over 150/160 (not sure but its close to that and should state which in your current policy.) days a year in one place then it should be down on your insurance as being there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If that was the case then why don't insurance companies just assume that the address the proposer has provided is where the vehicle is mainly kept and used?
    Insurance companys don't really assume anything other than you tell them the truth. They do frequently ask if the address given is where the car is normally kept and they also frequently ask which area the car will be driven in.
    My post was discouraging the idea of using the same address as whats on the log book/VLC which is what you appeared to have said.

Advertisement