Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing into parking spaces saves money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

plus its easier.

with a front lsd it is the only option!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

In theory, yes, maybe.

The fact is though that the vast majority of people I've witnessed trying to reverse into a parking space can not get it first-time-right even if their lives depended on it. The number of times they have to forwards and backwards before they eventually manage to get the car between the lines puts a definite end to this theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

If you are doing your's weeks shopping especially for the savages in this household , it is better to have the boot outside for easy ascees, any other time I reverse in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Drive in and drive out ftw! What is this reverse gear you speak of?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

snowman707 wrote: »
    If you are doing your's weeks shopping especially for the savages in this household , it is better to have the boot outside for easy ascees, any other time I reverse in.

Reversing in = boot closer to front door = less walking to unload the shopping. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bond-007 wrote: »

We don't all live in southfork...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

T-Maxx wrote: »
    In theory, yes, maybe.

The fact is though that the vast majority of people I've witnessed trying to reverse into a parking space can not get it first-time-right even if their lives depended on it. The number of times they have to forwards and backwards before they eventually manage to get the car between the lines puts a definite end to this theory.

And I am among them. I always reverse in and yet only about one time in five am I happy with my position. Still beats trying to reverse out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In theory, yes, maybe.

You're missing the essential point - the engine would already be warm and would therefore use much less fuel.

The same people would probably make several attempts to reverse out of a spot but would be doing so on a cold engine and therefore use much more fuel. ;)

You're missing the essential point - the engine would already be warm and would therefore use much less fuel.

The same people would probably make several attempts to reverse out of a spot but would be doing so on a cold engine and therefore use much more fuel. ;)

It depends on your driveway.
    If it faces uphill (as mine does) then you'd use less reversing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

snowman707 wrote: »
    SteveC wrote: »
    Reversing in = boot closer to front door = less walking to unload the shopping. :confused::confused:

I think snowman means at the supermarket.....access to boot with the trolley and all that....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It depends on your driveway.
    If it faces uphill (as mine does) then you'd use less reversing out.
    Presumably any type of scientific study would have to be done on a level surface. ;)

That reminds me of a Garda neighbour of ours back in the 1970s who used to push his car out of the garage every morning and then let it run down hill before starting it to save fuel. Money was tight and petrol was scarce then but I never thought it was worth putting one's back out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

In theory, yes, maybe.

Are you one of those people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

nipplenuts wrote: »
    And I am among them. I always reverse in and yet only about one time in five am I happy with my position. Still beats trying to reverse out!

Interesting logic :confused:

That reminds me of a Garda neighbour of ours back in the 1970s who used to push his car out of the garage every morning and then let it run down hill before starting it to save fuel. Money was tight and petrol was scarce then but I never thought it was worth putting one's back out!
    Happy times...
    I had an uncle who owned a Renault 12 which was devoid of both reverse gear and a starter motor.
    Strategic parking became something of an art form...

Happy times...
    I had an uncle who owned a Renault 12 which was devoid of both reverse gear and a starter motor.
    ....or those who used to disconnect the battery each night and charge it in the house and reconnect it each morning! :D

nipplenuts wrote:
    And I am among them. I always reverse in and yet only about one time in five am I happy with my position.
    Does you vehicle not have side morrors?

Does you vehicle not have side mirrors?

Haha. It does. My problem is always when coming in from a right angle. I seldom get it exactly right.

GrumPy wrote: »
    Interesting logic :confused:

My point being that driving out of a space is safer than reversing out :confused:

nipplenuts wrote: »
    My point being that driving out of a space is safer than reversing out :confused:
    :confused:

Totally depends on location.

Where I live there's a constant stream of kids and toddlers on the path in the evening and therefore it's safer to drive in than reverse in. They're not there in the morning so etc...

You can't generalise about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Happy times...
    The Land-Rover driver's dilemma:
    "Do I park at the bottom of the hill and trust the starter, or at the top of the hill and trust the handbrake?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Bond-007 wrote: »

Reliant or Peel P50 ?

www.bbc.co.uk/isleofman/content/articles/2007/11/01/peel_p50_feature.shtml

(Southfork my derriere:p)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I has an aversion to reversing. I will cruise around until I can find a drive in drive out space. Or if one is not available simply drive in. I find it easier to reverse out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

How is reversing out when cold less efficient than driving forward out when cold?

THat's the agrument of the article, isn't it? And I can't see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

wet-paint wrote: »
    How is reversing out when cold less efficient than driving forward out when cold?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing , it does not make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Single reversing gear not as good as being able to go through different ratio forward gears? I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What he said ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Assume it takes a couple of manoeuvres to reverse out, rather than a single one to drive out. The saving becomes more obvious if you have to turn your car around before you can drive away. Performing this manoeuvre with a warm engine is much more fuel-efficient than with a cold one.

Not your ornery onager

MYOB wrote: »
    Single reversing gear not as good as being able to go through different ratio forward gears? I guess...
    THe single reversing gear is not as good at what? Moving the car? You're doing two to four miles an hour for maybe twenty feet before engaging first, as opposed to putting it into first straight away, yet they claim a MASSIVE difference? It sounds and indeed reads like total horse sh1te.
    esel wrote: »
    Assume it takes a couple of manoeuvres to reverse out, rather than a single one to drive out. The saving becomes more obvious if you have to turn your car around before you can drive away. Performing this manoeuvre with a warm engine is much more fuel-efficient than with a cold one.

So it has more to do with the ineptitude of the driver than to do with the efficiency of the gears?

Now that I can believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

THe single reversing gear is not as good at what? Moving the car? You're doing two to four miles an hour for maybe twenty feet before engaging first, as opposed to putting it into first straight away, yet they claim a MASSIVE difference? It sounds and indeed reads like total horse sh1te.

Its not as efficient, it requires the engine to run harder while its still cold, versus being able to control the revs with the forward gears.

Wow, now I'm totally confused. I'll just leave it. How does putting it in reverse require the engine to run harder from cold than putting it in first?

You control the revs of the car with the acelerator, not the different forward gears. For moving out of a space it's not as if you'll use anything but first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So it has more to do with the ineptitude of the driver than to do with the efficiency of the gears?
    You quoted my post, but did you read it? Read this part again:

"The saving becomes more obvious if you have to turn your car around before you can drive away. Performing this manoeuvre with a warm engine is much more fuel-efficient than with a cold one."

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement