Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeaking floor boards

Options
  • 03-08-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have T & G floor boards upstairs. ( down about 10 years.)
    They have gradually been getting very noisy ( creaky) over the last while.
    Most noise comes from the landing area.
    What is the correct way to secure them and stop the noise for good.
    Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The is an old remedy for this that may sound a bit strange.

If you sprinkle talcum powder in between the boards where they are creaking this should solve your problem. Hope that helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Stick-dan is right.
    Try talcum powder... it works!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The link

Tks for that. Id say that will work grand under carpet but I have a floor without any covering. How long will the talc last and will the effect be gone each time floor is hoovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Should last for a while if you brush it into the joints where the hoover can't pick it up.

A more longer term solution may involve drilling a series of pilot holes, countersinking, then screwing the boards down onto the joists and finally filling/sanding over the screwholes - the creaking is probably because the original nails used have worked themselves loose over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If you do tighten boards ,always aim for the outer most sides of the boards. You get pipes/cables running through the middle of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The link wrote: »
    Tks for that. Id say that will work grand under carpet but I have a floor without any covering. How long will the talc last and will the effect be gone each time floor is hoovered.

It works... try it. Don't worry about the hoover!
    The talc works around the nail. Its not visible and you don't keep doing it every day.

Give it a go... suprise yourself.... just a little faith required!
    What have you got to loose?:D

311 gives good advise but its takes time to rescrew, countersink and plug.
    Plugs will be visible in floor. Its a good longterm solution but takes time and expertise, to look well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Let us know sure which way you decide to go sure and tell us the results. The talcum powder really does work and its cheap and effective. Plus i'd try it before you start drilling and nailing considering it can do no harm..Anyways let us know.

Advertisement