Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening present?

Options
  • 03-08-2008 2:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Morning Ladies (and gents!),
    A two fold question here that Id appreciate some help on.

Ive been invited to a christening in a few weeks and am slightly stressed thinking about it as its the first time Ill be meeting his family - new bf senario....stressy enough as it is and hes not really my boyfriend as such on a mutually exclusive basis but that a whole other story sortathing!

Its a daytime affair...linen? Smart casual or the whole blow? What was the last outfit you wore to a christening?

Also, do I bring a present? I dont know the family and am coming from an invite having never met these people, but Id never turn up to someones house without a bottle of wine or some little thing and I think Id feel bad at turning up empty handed. Any suggestions?

Dammit I shouldnt have said yes. Its stressing me out.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dellgirl2 wrote: »
    Its a daytime affair...linen? Smart casual or the whole blow?
    Go for 'Sunday Best' - its not a fashion show.
    Also, do I bring a present?
    No - if you want, get something between you and your might be boyfriend. Alcohol is hardly the right gift for a christening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jesus don't stress it Dellgirl! :) Nothing at all to be stressed about and I'm sure his family would hate to find out it's causing you all this anxiety.

Outfit-wise - really no need for anything too formal but looking nicely enough presented would do the trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

It is Victor! Any sort of family gathering for an occasion is a fashion show of sorts! I just think Ill be judged on how I look. I really do. This is the guys first foray into a relationship after a disasterous marriage and I knwo his whole family and friends are very protective of him. Im seriously not looking forward to meeting his sisters!

I didnt mean that I would roll up with a bottle, I was just using that as an example. :) "hi family and friends, meet my new gf, the raging alcoholic!". I was thinking more along teh lines of maybe baking some biiscuits or something? Or is that totally sad?

Dudess, youre right but I cant help it. Im meeting the whole lot at once and now regret saying yes. Its like walking into the lions den. :eek:

Right, scrubbed up and presentable. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

nice thought but baking biscuits for a family you dont know and are trying to impress is prob a little too much bree vandercamp for me! last christining i went to (close friend) i gave a cash gift of fifty euro (i had given them a v expensive birth gift) most people would give maybe a silver photo frame, vouchers for photo sittings etc, my guess is to talk to the bf and ask would he like you to contribute a gift together. if you cannot do that then a card with a gift woucher for boots, next, debenhams ect would be thoughtful without being 'too much'.

im totally with you on the mini fashion parade bit! i wore a casual maxi dress, and even though this was on in the night time, i would of still worn it in the day. a nice skirt and top always works for me (girly but not vixen iykwim)

dont worry bout his family assessing you, if they are so possessive then they will want you to be nice so you are already half way there. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Hey there. I think there's no need to go over the top. Was at a christening a few months back and I wore a smart grey fitted dress, a bit like an office style outfit, which was dressy but sensible too. But I was a godmammy so I had to look grown up!!!

Most of the crowd were in their sunday best, like another poster suggested, but none were made up to the nines. There was another family with a christening in the same church and the parents were very young so there was a young crowd there. I can tell you the entire church's eyes were out in their heads - 17 year old girls that looked like they were heading clubbing for the night! One was in a mutli-print dress that barely covered her bum and six inch heels. major orange tan and hair extensions aplenty. I had to bite my lip when they queued up after on the altar for pics. The poor priest!! It just looked silly and OTT.

I would recommend a nice pencil skirt and fitted shirt with medium heels - I wouldn't go too fussy with a dress that you'd wear to a club or anything.

Go halves with the boyfriend on a gift - there are lots of token christening gifts out there so it shouldn't be too tough. Failing that a cute outfit for the baby would be welcomed I'm sure. I'd go with smartly dressed if you want to impress his family.

And I think the baked biscuits would be a lovely touch!!! But that's just me, maybe some feel it would be too OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If you're buying baby clothes you could try get something for Autumn and in a bigger size. My cousin was born in the summer and all the gifts my aunty was given were pink, summery and would just fit the child at the time, so she had dozens of dresses that were void after about a month!

Okay. Thanks for the replies.

Im not Bree-ish but biccies are my usual solution to "I dont quite know what to do here" situations. I dont think Ill make any for it though. Doesnt sit right as I dont know them....and with my luck there be a nut allergyor wheat kick-off and ruin the whole day!

"How was the christening X?"

"Oh fine except for Uncle Jims anaphalactic shock incident"

"Aw well, at least Auntie Mary can look after him"

"No she cant. Shes having her intestine removed due to *wheat poisioning"

:eek:

I might stick up a few photos of one or two outfits Im thinking about and maybe get some opinions? A mini straw poll?

One is a skirt and top and heels. The other is a dress and heels.

Pics to follow this evening. I know already whats going to happen. Im going to end up racing to somewhere where Ill spend a stupid ammount of money because Im panicing and then regret it after. This is what Im trying tot avoid as well.

I still dont know what to bring. Any more suggestions?

* I dont know the name for wheat poisioning :)

Most of the crowd were in their sunday best, like another poster suggested, but none were made up to the nines. There was another family with a christening in the same church and the parents were very young so there was a young crowd there. I can tell you the entire church's eyes were out in their heads - 17 year old girls that looked like they were heading clubbing for the night! One was in a mutli-print dress that barely covered her bum and six inch heels. major orange tan and hair extensions aplenty. I had to bite my lip when they queued up after on the altar for pics. The poor priest!! It just looked silly and OTT.

Hahahahaha!!! THats brilliant! Had something similar happen to me before. I had never been to a multi - christening before, they dont do them in Mayo and the outfits were very interesting indeed on the young ladies. :)

nice thought but baking biscuits for a family you dont know and are trying to impress is prob a little too much bree vandercamp for me! last christining i went to (close friend) i gave a cash gift of fifty euro (i had given them a v expensive birth gift) most people would give maybe a silver photo frame, vouchers for photo sittings etc, my guess is to talk to the bf and ask would he like you to contribute a gift together. if you cannot do that then a card with a gift woucher for boots, next, debenhams ect would be thoughtful without being 'too much'.

Bingo! I have a Newbridge silver frame that I was given about a year ago. Still in it box as well! Ill post a pic of it with the out fits and see if ye think its too much maybe...or not.

God! Im such a stressball!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

For clothes, I would go fairly dressy, classy and classic. The kind of outfit I would wear to a christening would be the same outfit I would wear out to dinner in a nice restaurant. Make sure it's comfy though, you will already be nervous so you don't want to be worried about flashing a boob or falling over on your 6" heels!

As for a pressie, it is a babies christening, so you bring a pressie for the baby. I think it is way too soon to be going in on BF's pressie, that could send him the wrong message! I think the frame is perfect and it'll save you a few quid!

Def 'NO' on baking cookies! I think it'll look like you're trying to hard!

Don't stress, I'm sure they won't be ogres, just make sure ahead of time that your BF doesn't go off for hours and leave you with people you don't know. Also, remember that the baby will be the main attraction, I'm sure they'll go easy on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just spent Sat last at my one of best mates (first kids) christening...

Like the OP, I'd never show up at a mates house for the weekend without a bottle of vino or at a "person I barely know's" party without a card. It's just bad manners.

As one poster said - dress was Sunday best and not "clubbing" attire. Girls dressed for dinner. Lot of lads (myself included) in pants and shirts. Jeans must have been in the wash for Sat night!

Funnily, a frame is exactly what I bought - and a little money box for all those other cards filled with money for the bambino.

No baking cookies - You'll never get invited to dinner in case you show up with a pot of boiling water in one hand and a bunny in the other...

Just my Euro .02

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Dellgirl2 wrote: »
    Okay. Thanks for the replies.

Im not Bree-ish but biccies are my usual solution to "I dont quite know what to do here" situations. I dont think Ill make any for it though. Doesnt sit right as I dont know them....and with my luck there be a nut allergyor wheat kick-off and ruin the whole day!

Just like me. I bake for everything :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If there's a surplus of baked goods going please feel free to pm me for my address. :)

My niece's christening was on Sunday. Attire was generally suits or jacket and trousers without a tie for the men. The women dressed as if they were going out for a nice meal, elegant and well presented but not OTT. Silver picture frames are very acceptable presents for a christening, while closer family members opened bank accounts or gave things like prize bonds.

Advertisement