Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP for students in Dundalk?

Options
  • 03-08-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Howdy all.

I'm moving into a house with 4 other lads in Dundalk in September and we a are all kinda tech heads so will need the internet to keep our sanity.

Anyway, we have a landline (which isn't activated at the moment) so Wireless BB isn't the only option.

I recon that we need 2mb but I was just wondering if anyone knew any price comparison sites, or a site which shows which ISP are available in our area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

UTV have no cap for extra 5.99. IBB Breeze also have no cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Are you going to keep on the house for the summer? Most contracts are at least 12 months afaik.
    Would landlord let up put antanae on roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Do not sign up with Irish Broad Band. They were bought out and no longer have have unlimited products.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Go with smart if you're in Dundalk. They use ADSL2+ which will mean higher top speeds than if you go with eircom/resellers like UTV & BT. Cheaper too, and I've never heard of problems of contention with them.

The only issue might be the 12 month contract...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

my recollection is that BUNDLES are 12 months on ADSL but plain dsl on top of plain line rental is 6 months. Imagine and Perlico are always 12 month minimum but BT Eircom and UTV are not .

BT, confusingly , does a mixture of min 6 month and min 12 month contracts

http://www.btireland.ie/tncb.shtml
    'Minimum Period' means the minimum period of one year commencing on the Operational Service Date in the case of the Flat Rate Anytime and Flat Rate Evenings and Weekend Services, and the minimum period of six months commencing on the Operational Service Date in the case of BT Broadband, Broadband and Talk package and Broadband and Talk A Lot package. The minimum period for Broadband & Total Talk means one year commencing on the dates set out in the additional terms and conditions applicable to Broadband & Total Talk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

barnicles wrote: »
    UTV have no cap for extra 5.99. IBB Breeze also have no cap.

UTV also have a 6 month contract which would be suitable for students :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

HEANet ( the ISP for the Education sector ) have done a deal with O2 for broadband for students and staff.

There is a 9 month and 12 month offer, but only for the mobile broadband product.

Details from your college as the offer only opens on Sep. 1st, but http://www.o2.ie/heanet will have the info when it's all up ( not great infor there now )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

BT Ireland have a 6 month contract. It's not ADSL2+ in Dundalk, not yet anyhow, but it suits your needs for a short term contract. You can merge your line rental with them to receive cheap enough broadband.

This is the page to go to for putting your line rental + voice calls, along with broadband onto your BT bill:
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

DECEiFER wrote: »
    BT Ireland have a 6 month contract. It's not ADSL2+ in Dundalk, not yet anyhow, but it suits your needs for a short term contract. You can merge your line rental with them to receive cheap enough broadband.

This is the page to go to for putting your line rental + voice calls, along with broadband onto your BT bill:
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talk.shtml

This or Metro from Digiweb seems to be the best but I'd need permission from the landlord to install Metro and I I'm not sure if we'dd be allowed tbh.

BT seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

im...LOST wrote: »
    This or Metro from Digiweb seems to be the best but I'd need permission from the landlord to install Metro and I I'm not sure if we'dd be allowed tbh.

BT seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the help lads.

Just be careful with Digiweb Metro as they do enforce the download caps which might not be ideal for 5 students. They use a rolling cap and as soon as your limit is reached in the month your throttled until the end of the 30 days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement