Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB7 Shahbaz will sue Big Brother for his breakdown

Options
  • 03-08-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on DS
    Big Brother 7 contestant Shahbaz Chauhdry has threatened to sue Endemol, branding the reality television process "unethical".

Chauhdry threatened to kill himself while on the show, but claimed that his pleas went ignored by the producers.

He said: "I take responsibility for going to the auditions. But I do not accept responsibility for the ghastly aftermath. Big Brother took away two years of my life and I want Endemol to accept responsibility."

Talking about his life after the programme, he claimed: "I've had no work for a year, doors have been closed and I'm still on antidepressants and living on benefits. I wasn't made fully aware of the potential pitfalls beforehand - and I know the others weren't either."

The 37-year-old was heard to tell fellow contestants on the show: "I am a dead man walking. This is my last curtain call. I came here to die."

"I suffered in that house," he told The People. "I asked to leave and they said 'No'. I was under pressure but they didn't step in to help. They don't care if you're suffering as long as you have a personality and can help them boost ratings and callers to prime-rate phone numbers."

Of his imminent legal battle, he added: "I know it's like David v Goliath but I am very focused and bosses should be worried."

Endemol and Channel 4 said in a statement: "The welfare of all housemates is important to us. Robust procedures are in place to ensure a high level of care for housemates prior to, during and on leaving. We have not been contacted by Shahbaz saying he is now dissatisfied."

ShahbazC4010606_228x223.jpg

Hmm, can't see that working out too well for him. He made the decision to go in there and I find it hard to believe the producers refused to let him leave.

Be interesting to see if he gets anywhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

He'd have a job proving anything criminal if Endymol are as thorough and careful as they appear and I would think that all contestants would have been given a pile of disclaimers as a condition to getting on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Wow this is gonna be a tough one for him, i am sorry to hear that he has had a rough time with his life since, but im sure he was clearly aware after seen previous Big Brothers that some people do tend to end up as peoples hate figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

As far as I could tell he was broken-down before he entered the house. He shouldnt have been in there for sure but I think BB was the straw that broke the camels back.
    Anyway BB must be well protected, any contestant runs the risk of having their reputation destroyed and life being tough on the outside. Many previous HMs could claim that their life was ruined by the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, I don't think this is gonna work out too well for him. I can recall him saying he had been previously a "rent boy" before his time on Big brother and had been imprionsed because of it.

I'm sure his previous convictions are possible staining his reputation in employment as is, but I wonder why BB let him in in the first place when he had previous convictions. I thought British law was very tight on people with convictions taking limelight in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I remember seeing him on BBLB for BB8 as part of the BB street team going around Edinburgh (Spiral did Dublin) asking people's opinions on the show. He seemed ok, plus it was a year after BB7, if he was having these problems why would he work for them again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I thought British law was very tight on people with convictions taking limelight in the media?

I thought the same when it came to Alexandra this series. Surely when they did a background check on her they would have discovered that there was a restraining order against her. Although maybe that was more of a draw for them. *shrug*

I really can't see Shahbaz getting anywhere with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Wasn't he unemployed for years before going onto the show?

Guys a f**king plank anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I thought British law was very tight on people with convictions taking limelight in the media?

Eh ??.
    I'd have thought the opposite. When you have 'paid your debt to society' then your record should only be an issue if you are applying for a job that specifically asks for a clean record. Theres zero in the law to stop anyone convicted of just-about-anything working in TV. Leslie Grantham for starters?

By the way, What a great week of BB that was when Shabbaz was there - he took over the program like no-one else ever has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another BB attention-whore. I've no sympathy. If he'd appeared in
    Season 1 I might have some sympathy but by BB7 everyone knew
    the set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Eh ??.
    I'd have thought the opposite. When you have 'paid your debt to society' then your record should only be an issue if you are applying for a job that specifically asks for a clean record. Theres zero in the law to stop anyone convicted of just-about-anything working in TV. Leslie Grantham for starters?

By the way, What a great week of BB that was when Shabbaz was there - he took over the program like no-one else ever has.

I always thought it was something along the lines of you cant profit from a crime you commited, for example somebody commits murder and they go on to write a book that becomes a best seller they cant take any of the profits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its not big brothers fault hes a complete cracker.

Advertisement