Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ11 to RJ45 in-line adapter

Options
  • 03-08-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone know where to get an in-line adapter for connecting an Irish telephone plug to an RJ45 (in this case a patch panel)?

I know everyone says you can just plug an RJ11 into an RJ45 port, but I've found that an Irish telephone cable is a poor fit in both modules and patch panels, I assume because the plugs are smaller in this case (Belkin BTW).

What I'm looking for is a neat adapter to plug into the RJ45s and which I then plug the phone cables in to.

Thanks
    SSE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Would it be an idea to make up a cable with RJ11 Male at one end & RJ45 Male at the other?

Sth like: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99612 as the crimp tool, which even comes with some of both types of crimps &: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=6222 as the the telephone cable?

You could do a very neat job then...

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yep I tried to crimp on an RJ45 to a phone cable but it wouldn't grip for some reason.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Hmmm...should do - i've certainly done it in the past. Did you strip enough of the outer sheath that the 4 inner wires were pushed all the way to the end of the RJ45? I've found that you really have to push the 4 wires home...

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Firstly Ive only ever had problems plugging RJ11's into an RJ45 port once and that was becuase it was cheaper kit. Ive found over the last ten years that 11's have always plugged in nicely to 45's. Saying that one trick is to get an RJ45 patch cord (straight through) and chop one end off. Then strip back the cables and depending if its an analogue, digital, or priority phone you can crimp on an RJ11 using 2, 4 or 6 wires.. Not ideal but it'll get you out of a jam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sp1derman78

Sorry if I've misunderstood but could you not use an RJ11 to RJ45 Adaptor like http://www.shoppingcentre.net/shop/rj11-rj45-adapter-p-3807.html

%28RJ45-RJ11%29.jpg
    Converts RJ11 to RJ45 and Visa versa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

All the new laptops seem to only have RJ45 ports these days.
    Got a dell laptop for my father in law and his dial-up cable wont fit in the port.
    Although after reading this I will try a better quality cable, its a bit sad I would have to import one of these adapters if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

That'll be the Network port for Ethernet networking. The laptop may not have a dialup modem on it.

If so plugging a phone cable into it won't work.

Unless I've misunderstood you and the modem has an RJ45 port not RJ11.

SSE

That'll be the Network port for Ethernet networking. The laptop may not have a dialup modem on it.

If so plugging a phone cable into it won't work.

Unless I've misunderstood you and the modem has an RJ45 port not RJ11.

SSE

I am clueless on these things!
    There is one 'comms' port, its not the same size as a phone cable, but wider.
    So are you saying that no dial-up cable will fit?
    How do I get him connected?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

As above, that's an ethernet port. Not a modem. You don't use phone cables with an ethernet card (you use Cat3 or above network cable, with an RJ45 clip). If you want to get online, you'll need a termination device with an internal ethernet port (e.g. a broadband modem or router).

OP, I've never had a problem sticking an RJ11/14 jack in an RJ45 patch panel, nor have I had issues crimping phone cable in an RJ45 clip - might be worth trying different clips and/or cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭allybhoy

dobsdave wrote: »
    I am clueless on these things!
    There is one 'comms' port, its not the same size as a phone cable, but wider.
    So are you saying that no dial-up cable will fit?
    How do I get him connected?:(

Or the easiest thing would be to just buy him a USB 56k dial up modem,shud work grand for him

• Advertisement

allybhoy wrote: »
    Or the easiest thing would be to just buy him a USB 56k dial up modem,shud work grand for him

Thanks, thats what I did, didn't realise computers were sold without modems these days!

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Try :

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/RJ11toRJ45patchlead3M.html

In theory, you should be able to plug an RJ11 connector into an RJ45 socket and it should stay in place. However, the design of a lot of RJ45 sockets doesn't really allow it. They don't really follow the original 1970s specs that would have allowed for the easy connection of RJ11 plugs into an RJ45 socket. Eircom actually use such jacks on their ADSL splitter plates. The DSL side is an RJ45 socket, yet it fits and holds an RJ11 plug perfectly. In general though, patch panels and other such devices tend to be designed for networking gear rather than telephony. So, they don't get overly worried if it doesn't hold an RJ11 plug.

This might be better:
    http://pc.pcconnection.com/1/1/96927-test-um-rj45-plug-rj11-jack-adapter-2-pack-tp60.html

I think Maplins stocks RJ45>BT connectors as they fail to recognise that they're in a different country.

Alternatively, just buy some RJ11 and RJ45 connectors and crimp an RJ45 on one end of the cable and RJ11 on the other end, just use flat telephone cord. It's pretty easy to do.

Advertisement