Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSDPA Wireless routers

Options
  • 03-08-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have seen a few references to wireless HSDPA compatible routers in various 3G threads but nobody that I have seen has confirmed if they have bought one and if so was it any good.

Google tells me there are a few out there alright but they are pretty expensive and not exactly from the mainstream brands.

I could do with getting something that would:

1. enable me to wirelessly connect to the net instead of having to plug in the modem everytime and enter the pin no and connect and blah blah

2. boost the 3G connection if at all possible!

Has anyone used one of these with their O2/Vodafone/Three 3G HSDPA modems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

1. enable me to wirelessly connect to the net instead of having to plug in the modem everytime and enter the pin no and connect and blah blah

They will never boost your 3g connection, because you still use the same PCMCIA/USB device to connect to the 3G service. You might just get a bit better signal, because you can place the router, where there is best signal.
    2. boost the 3G connection if at all possible!

Has anyone used one of these with their O2/Vodafone/Three 3G HSDPA modems?

Yes, they work with irish 3G services.

The Linksys router for the PCMCIA cards is actually sold by Vodafone themselfes. I've used the same route with Three no problems.

The Draytek router is pricy, but very good, too. That's been tested with various irish providers too.

Usually the PCMCIA version works out more stable !!

/Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

The draytek one looks straight forward enough - you just plug in your little Huawei usb modem and you are ready to go.

http://www.draytek.com/product/Dual_Wan_Security_Router/Vigor2910.php

However as you mentioned - you need PCMCIA cards for the Linksys one. What exactly is the purpose of these? I take it you do not need/use the Huawei modem in conjunction with the Linksys?

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=UK%2FLayout&cid=1133203163100&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Ok - after doing a little more research would i be correct in saying you would need one of these: http://cgi.ebay.ie/VODAFONE-MOBILE-CONNECT-GPRS-DATA-CARD_W0QQitemZ260268855913QQihZ016QQcategoryZ96912QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You take your sim card out of your Hauwei modem, put it into the vodafone card, plug this into the Linksys and then you can connect your laptop to the Linksys wirelessly and use the internet just as you would over a standard DSL connection? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The PCMCIA is exactly the same as the USB modem, just in a different packaging.

Huawai E630 is HSDPA (3.6 meg)
    Huawai E870 is H2UPA (7.2 meg/2meg ExpressCard with PCMCIA adaptor)

The reason for my recommendation on the PCMCIA ones is, that they are more stable and the radio is hell of a lot better than the USB thingy's.

The E630 also has a connector for an external antenna.

I don't recommend the card suggested by skywalker, as it's GPRS only (56kbit/s).

/Marlow

Advertisement