Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed limits

Options
  • 03-08-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

I've been driving for a little while now, I'm on my learners permit and have done a few lessons. Today I drove from Clare Hall to Portmarnock, Howth, East Wall and Donaghmede with my instructor and the whole time I was on the 50/60 speed limit and there was always people flying by me, seeming like I'm holding them up. My instructor said not to try and play keep up with them as some rules are specifically for learners or something like that. I'm just wondering would this be okay in a test or could I be done for Progression if I;m not seen to be keeping up with other drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

OLP wrote: »
    I've been driving for a little while now, I'm on my learners permit and have done a few lessons. Today I drove from Clare Hall to Portmarnock, Howth, East Wall and Donaghmede with my instructor and the whole time I was on the 50/60 speed limit and there was always people flying by me, seeming like I'm holding them up. My instructor said not to try and play keep up with them as some rules are specifically for learners or something like that. I'm just wondering would this be okay in a test or could I be done for Progression if I;m not seen to be keeping up with other drivers?

So your instructor is telling you to break the speed limit, something which is a penalty points offence and not tolerated at all in the driving test. Do not speed. Do not go above it, also remember its a limit and not a target as some people think.

Progression is just basically being able to move through the gears while driving.

My advice would be get a new instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Was the speed limit 50 or 60km/h the whole way or did it go up to 100km/h and you stayed below it?

If it stayed at 50 or 60km/h and cars are passing you, don't speed up. You will get marked for speeding on your test. You are legally obliged to stick to the speed limit, the other cars are in the wrong. Do not exceed the speed limit because other cars are passing you.

If the speed limit went up to 100km/h and you didn't reach this speed through nerves/lack of confidence then you will get marked for progression. You shouldn't aim to hit the max speed limit but you should drive at the speed that is correct for the road. E.g. if the road is 100km/h and has no traffic on it you shouldn't really crawl along at 50km/h as you will hold up traffic behind you. If the road is 100km/h and has heavy traffic then you should maintain a speed that does not cause you to drive to close too the car in front or hold up the traffic behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

No he was telling me not to go above the speed limit at all, because sometimes I was creeping over it. I just naivly taught most people actually obeyed the speed limit.

I was only on roads that where 50 km/h and 60 km/h and I dove mostly at them speeds respectivly. I've no problem with driving fast I just thought I might be doing something wrong as I was driving just on the speed limit and there was still people flying by me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

chris85 wrote: »
    So your instructor is telling you to break the speed limit, something which is a penalty points offence
    Read his/her post again chris85!
    chris85 wrote:
    Progression is just basically being able to move through the gears while driving.
    Moving through the gears would come under 'Proper use of vehicle controls'.

'Progression' would generally refer to moving off at junctions, keeping up with the traffic, overtaking where appropriate, changing lanes at the correct time etc.

OP - in most test situations you will be dealing with urban driving and it is unlikely that many vehicles will overtake you if you are obeying the speed limit.
    OLP wrote:
    I just naivly taught most people actually obeyed the speed limit.
    Many morans out there deliberately exceed the speed limit if they see a learner in an instructor's car. I think it makes them feel superior. :rolleyes: (Probably small penis syndrome! ;)).

Sorry, read it bit wrong first time. late one last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

late one last night
    even though it was 6pm! :D

even though it was 6pm! :D

Yeah still affected me at that stage. All day yesterday I was not thinking straight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Yeah still affected me at that stage. All day yesterday I was not thinking straight. :rolleyes:
    shovel.jpg

Advertisement