Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how many sniper/sniper teams is there out there in the community

• 03-08-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

iv been thinking up some scenarios for a sniper themed event in mind i would love to see an event of this sort go ahead but before i start planning anything i would just like to see how many would be up for this

how many snipers/sniper teams 17 votes

sniper team
    0%
    sniper
    23%
    SniperSightA.T.FamaughanTactical 4 votes
    i use my aeg as a sniper
    76%
    TzetzetonkyKentarJonAndertonpeter-pantslezxFROSTY GxflashinbluelitevkchrisYougart15lil daveRhinochargeprivate.Gsean.carolan100 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just started sniping yesterday haha, but its very interesting role and id be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

sniper
    Myself and my buddy are setting up as a sniper team.
    1 x VSR 10 with scope
    2 x MP5A2 (for when the crap hits the fan)
    2 x KJW P226
    1 x 20x to 60x spotting scope with tripod
    1 x set of comms (License exempt equipment)
    Patience x lots;)

We'd be very interested in what senarios could come about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i use my aeg as a sniper
    iv started sniping on my own. would be in to buddying up though

i have

1 x M14 (Kryloned)
    1 x sig p229
    1 x M4 cqb for extraction out of hot situations
    and most importantly fully ghuille suit

well if we are listing equipment

1 x JG bar 10
    1 x MP5K
    1 x WE 1911
    1 x KJ works m9

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭vkchris

i use my aeg as a sniper
    just a lone sniper for now tried a sniper team but it didnt work to well:D

VSR-10 G-SPEC 3-9x scope(much to much money spent on it)
    TM Tactical Master/KSC USP
    TM MP7 (if i need it)

I need to play as a sniper more but ill work on that.

Could i just suggest to anyone setting up a sniper team I think the sniper should try and move with just a rifle and a pistol the spotter should be able to suppress enemy fire as you move and believe me one less airsoft gun on you helps a lot with movement and speed. Just what i think try what works with you best and practice a lot!!

• Advertisement

sniper
    vkchris wrote: »
    just a lone sniper for now tried a sniper team but it didnt work to well:D

VSR-10 G-SPEC 3-9x scope(much to much money spent on it)
    TM Tactical Master/KSC USP
    TM MP7 (if i need it)

I need to play as a sniper more but ill work on that.

Could i just suggest to anyone setting up a sniper team I think the sniper should try and move with just a rifle and a pistol the spotter should be able to suppress enemy fire as you move and believe me one less airsoft gun on you helps a lot with movement and speed. Just what i think try what works with you best and practice a lot!!

This is an interesting observation Chris.

I'll be discussing it with my buddy and I suspect for operations where the spotter is close enough to provide covering fire for the sniper that the approach will be adopted. Nice one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭A.T.F

sniper
    The Airsoft Tactical Force have a Sniper squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Ive a VSR myself.
    I would dearly like to see a single-fire sniper rifle only game/event/whatever.
    Obviously bring along ur pistols. (essentially a no fully-auto allowed event)

Its just not practical to have a sniper rifle against AEGs in normal games when we all have the 1 joule limit to impede us.

It would be a slow game but hell it would be fun. Patience is a virtue!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Conor-Mr2 wrote: »
    Ive a VSR myself.
    I would dearly like to see a single-fire sniper rifle only game/event/whatever.
    Obviously bring along ur pistols. (essentially a no fully-auto allowed event)

Its just not practical to have a sniper rifle against AEGs in normal games when we all have the 1 joule limit to impede us.

It would be a slow game but hell it would be fun. Patience is a virtue!! :)

I disagree,
    Ive seen plenty of occasions where a good sniper can overcome single shot limitations and the 1 joule limit to go up agaisnt aegs,
    From personal experience much of it is down to field craft as has been pointed out before, also communication goes a long way,

Ive found that sniping is very possible and can be practical despite having the same 1 joule limit as everyone else, just many dont have the patience:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

although you have the 1j limit snipers just need to play to the strength for me that is consistency of shot and the sound generated when shooting ( or in this case the lack of it :) ) add that to good field craft and snipers can be very successful

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

A game with only snipers would be the most boring game imaginable., nobody would move anywhere and it wouldnt work out anything like "enemy at the gates" with our limits.,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

A game with only snipers would be the most boring game imaginable., nobody would move anywhere and it wouldnt work out anything like "enemy at the gates" with our limits.,lol

:rolleyes: sounds a but like some online fps multiplayer games i know :D but yes sniping in airsoft has no connection to the movies

i;ve seen some sniper skills competitions in airsoft but i don;t think the airsoft only games would work to well

Maybe I just havent seen many good airsoft snipers yet. :) I find its also too easy to attack a sniper position with an aeg when you find them. Granted its the when you find them part that can be difficult.

and this coming from the same conor who fell pray like many others to my bar 10 on saturday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

sniper
    Killinator wrote: »
    I disagree,
    Ive seen plenty of occasions where a good sniper can overcome single shot limitations and the 1 joule limit to go up agaisnt aegs,
    From personal experience much of it is down to field craft as has been pointed out before, also communication goes a long way,

Ive found that sniping is very possible and can be practical despite having the same 1 joule limit as everyone else, just many dont have the patience:)
    i totally agree just ask chuck the book about the time i took out there team of 4 on my own after major sims got shot at the start after i took out paul the other3 knew where i was and i still won:D
    vtec wrote: »

i disagree there vtec maybe it would turn out like that in a game where all you do is run around shootin wildly but in a game with objectives and a good storyline it would be well scary just taking a footsteep and the heart would be pumping trust me weve done little testers like this before wherew i play and it was great fun
    Puding wrote: »
    :rolleyes: sounds a but like some online fps multiplayer games i know :D but yes sniping in airsoft has no connection to the movies

i;ve seen some sniper skills competitions in airsoft but i don;t think the airsoft only games would work to well
    Maybe I just havent seen many good airsoft snipers yet. :) I find its also too easy to attack a sniper position with an aeg when you find them. Granted its the when you find them part that can be difficult.
    when you come across a dedicated sniper you'll know all about the damage we can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

I think sniper vs sniper would be well boreing, but hunting the sniper where the hunter team has a restriction on the amount of ammo it brings out? The sniper team would have a sniper with a sniper rifle/pistol, and the spotter a aeg? The hunter team would have 6 members? Plus it has to be held in woodland?

Hunt the sniper games can be vey tense, yesterday we played one, the sniper with an L96 watched as we came down a trail and shot me,
    I never heard a shot, just the bb hitting me, people were systematically being taken out with very little chance due to a well concealed sniper with a pretty good shot

sniper
    I think sniper vs sniper would be well boreing, but hunting the sniper where the hunter team has a restriction on the amount of ammo it brings out? The sniper team would have a sniper with a sniper rifle/pistol, and the spotter a aeg? The hunter team would have 6 members? Plus it has to be held in woodland?

totallly agree with you the sniper has the choise tho of weither there spotter has an aeg or not.

also this event is not limited to just snipers there will also be a limited number of assualtsmen on hand but as stated this is a sniper event so the majority of players have to be snipers/sniper teams.

of coarse this has to be held in woodland it would be crap playin this in a field haha.

another thing the lads with the aegs are limited to low and mid cap mags and a 500 rounds per person odiously this event will be a mil sim event it wouldn't work any other way.

"hunt the sniper" is a completely different game though., that is a great game and i play it regularly, obviously the sniper is at a dissadvantage with the fact that he can only have semi auto or bolt action, but they have the advantage of concealment over the hunters,

playing sniper against sniper would be like having a gang oh americans on xbox live....

sniper
    playing sniper against sniper would be like having a gang oh americans on xbox live....

huh?

• Advertisement

you've abviously never heard about irratating americans on xbox live no?

sniper
    vtec wrote: »
    you've abviously never heard about irratating americans on xbox live no?

no iv been tring to get online but it aint working haha

well basically, when your playing ghost recon the bastids just hide in a bush or something and camp there for the whole game, then the game doesnt go anywhere., really annoying stuff.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I think this is a good idea.

Its always good to try new game styles, remember the pistol games at gtac?

Limits on firepower can improve a game, today's milsim at hrta benefited greatly from a limit on spray and pray gaming.

Motosam wrote: »

Limits on firepower can improve a game, today's milsim at hrta benefited greatly from a limit on spray and pray gaming.

When i was at Gtac last march. (this was the last time i was out:() we played a game like this. When we got hit up by the sniper, their was panic and about 1000 bbs let off in about 40 secounds. Plus it was over in 2 mins. With the ammo limit, people have think about where their putting bbs. Also this gives the sniper time to move and this would make the game more intense. With each side trying to outwit each other. Or to have two sniper teams on comms, Mayhem.:eek:

sniper
    amaughan wrote: »
    totallly agree with you the sniper has the choise tho of weither there spotter has an aeg or not.

also this event is not limited to just snipers there will also be a limited number of assualtsmen on hand but as stated this is a sniper event so the majority of players have to be snipers/sniper teams.

of coarse this has to be held in woodland it would be crap playin this in a field haha.

another thing the lads with the aegs are limited to low and mid cap mags and a 500 rounds per person odiously this event will be a mil sim event it wouldn't work any other way.

Hunting the sniper is an interesting concept.

Yes, full auto gives the sniper very little chance so why not limit to semi-auto mode only?

I'm a great believer in making every shot count, so an ammo limit is not a bad idea at all. Say 50 to 100 rounds? Then back to a pre-determined point to reload perhaps?

There is no requirement for the sniper to remain static either, the sniper could perhaps have to move through a course to a pre-determined goal? Loads of possibilities. E.g. sniper move through a course and perhaps shoot at a particular target to win. This is where a sniper and spotter could work together as a team but with the spotter being disallowed from shooting the objective target.

Don't see why this type of game would have to be only played in woodland, an urban environment would also make for a very interesting senario (CQB or building taking exercise).

Remember its about accuracy rather than firepower. We're all limited (thankully) to the 1 Joule limit so everyone is on a level playing pitch. So its about knowing your chosen airsoft device and knowing how to get the best out of it, not spraying off 100's of rounds.

sniper
    agree.

one thing tho hunt the sniper is alright but i was thinking more along the line of the reble forces (lads with aegs) would have to complete set objectives while protecting there v.i.p
    and the snipers would be given similar objectives and the last objective would to take out the v.i.p and get to the evac point without getting spotted or killed

sniper
    All sounds good to me.

I'd be willing to try each senario in the field rather than writing anything off on paper without experiencing it first.

The VIP role sounds quite good.

Can the VIP defend themselves?

Tactical wrote: »
    All sounds good to me.

I'd be willing to try each senario in the field rather than writing anything off on paper without experiencing it first.

The VIP role sounds quite good.

Can the VIP defend themselves?

When i played this the VIP was armed with a pistol or two:D. A sniper can play a big role in this game also. The sniper can be hidden along the route. This is were fieldcraft comes into play. The sniper can stay and wait for the VIP to arrive and then take the VIP out. HOpefully! Also if the sniper had a number 2, they can keep a eye on the flanks just incase the VIPs team has a few tricks up its sleeves.:p

• Advertisement

we played a 'downed pilot' game at GTAC on sunday, where a rescue squad was sent in to rescue the pilot and his crew chiefs, while the attackers searched for the pilot to capture him,
    we didnt know where the pilot had 'crashed' so we had to communicate via comms, knowing every second the attackers were getting closer,
    when our two teams met up, we set out a plan to extract safely, I checked to make sure we werent going to be ambushed from behind and while I was scouting, the rest of the squad was ambushed from another direction,
    In the fray our team got split, and I headed for a treeline for a sniping spot, where i could communicate enemy movements,
    I saw the enemy try a flanking move and warned my squad via radio what was coming,
    I then proceeded to crawl through the trees and long grass around the enemy, and shot them as they were in pursuit of the pilot and his crew,

My experience from this one game leads me to believe that being a scout/sniper is just as valuable a position in airsofting as a heavy machine gunner, its just about how you put it into practice

sniper
    Excellent description.

Another point worth noting is that radio comms cannot be considered secure. An additional job of a spotter can be interception of "enemy" comms.

Excellent description.

Another point worth noting is that radio comms cannot be considered secure. An additional job of a spotter can be interception of "enemy" comms.

Thats true,
    although in our game it was a rule that no scanning was aloud, this was so people would actually make decisions based on their own judjement, otherwise it would be one team listening to the other and vice versa, with next to no movment,or people not using comms becasue the other team would be listening,

our game lasted about an hour and 20 minutes, yet every minute seemed vital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Excellent description.

We need an Airsoft U2 spy plane then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lumengrid

Motosam wrote: »

I agree with Motosam. Snipers make sense in MilSim's as they know (In most cases) where they BB will hit.
    And you if you limited on ammo it makes you think before you lash out on Sniper.

we played a 'downed pilot' game at GTAC on sunday, where a rescue squad was sent in to rescue the pilot and his crew chiefs, while the attackers searched for the pilot to capture him,
    we didnt know where the pilot had 'crashed' so we had to communicate via comms, knowing every second the attackers were getting closer,
    when our two teams met up, we set out a plan to extract safely, I checked to make sure we werent going to be ambushed from behind and while I was scouting, the rest of the squad was ambushed from another direction,
    In the fray our team got split, and I headed for a treeline for a sniping spot, where i could communicate enemy movements,
    I saw the enemy try a flanking move and warned my squad via radio what was coming,
    I then proceeded to crawl through the trees and long grass around the enemy, and shot them as they were in pursuit of the pilot and his crew,

My experience from this one game leads me to believe that being a scout/sniper is just as valuable a position in airsofting as a heavy machine gunner, its just about how you put it into practice

That sounds like a well cool game. Would the game have been made better with a, ammo limit? God i have to get out soon, dam this no car crap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lumengrid

Yesterday in HRTA we could call in mortar/air strike on enemy position.
    That could make a sniper life much more interesting... :D

That sounds like a well cool game. Would the game have been made better with a, ammo limit? God i have to get out soon, dam this no car crap!

I dont think it wudda made much difference, becasue as I see it if the enemy cant see you then it dosnt matter how much ammo theyve got, and I also think an ammo limit may spoil it for others who dont go for the one shot one kill approach, its not all about catering for snipers

Hey Killinator,

Did you get the A&K sr25?
    Im after bringing mine back today as the barrel was crooked and it was firing off to the left. I also found that the build quality wasnt very good. I checked the other SR25 that came in and wasnt too happy with that one either so ended up getting a g&g m4 cqb instead. Im gonna target the G&G sr25 as Im not impressed with the A&K one. Ill have to wait for Tony to get them in.

Hey Killinator,

Did you get the A&K sr25?
    Im after bringing mine back today as the barrel was crooked and it was firing off to the left. I also found that the build quality wasnt very good. I checked the other SR25 that came in and wasnt too happy with that one either so ended up getting a g&g m4 cqb instead. Im gonna target the G&G sr25 as Im not impressed with the A&K one. Ill have to wait for Tony to get them in.

I got mine and it shoots straight and true every time,
    Ive adjusted the sights and the hop up so that its perfect,
    I did find a few manufacturing faults,ie: the small circular cap that covers the safety unit on thr right side is missing, and the upper and lower reciever are serperated slightly, and there was no book,
    these are all things i accept due to it being lower cost and are all fixible anyway, and they pale in comparision to how well i thought the gun performed overall, 320fps and highly accurate, as much as i could want from a sniper rifle

Thats good to hear. Sounds like you got a decent one there. I was so looking forward to getting it and am disappointed. :(

• Advertisement

I dont think it wudda made much difference, becasue as I see it if the enemy cant see you then it dosnt matter how much ammo theyve got, and I also think an ammo limit may spoil it for others who dont go for the one shot one kill approach, its not all about catering for snipers

true, not going down the line of catering for the sniper. Just saying if you only had 500 +/- BB's for each team member with a AEG, plus a bit more for members with support weapons. It would cut out the 40 round bursts ect. You dont always have to go for the one kill one shot approach. you could use your support/Sniper teams a bit more to surpress, while the rest of the team can move and try to take out the other team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭major sims

its called "mil sim":D

sniper
    lets not loose sight on what this type of game is about.....SNIPERING.

the main thing in this sort of event is sniping the rebel forces are basicly a prop ha.this event would be a themed milsim event and to be honest from the games i have been planning for this i am getting excited haha.

some of the types are

assassination
    observe/gather intell
    sniper behind enemy lines
    sniper rescue(which could end up being a long game)
    and a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

i use my aeg as a sniper
    I had a spotter... had to fire him.. Only saw in black and white... and his shooting was well RUFF....

2739305889_c7ff994c02_o.jpg

Might hire these two instead....

2740144356_889e187855_o.jpg

i use my aeg as a sniper
    There's nothing as tight as the bond bewteen a sniper and his spotter....

What would yours do for you???

2740144460_6ff1322780_o.jpg

ps. Anyone who's read 'Sniper One' will know what I mean when I say every good spotter should have a roll of cling film and be prepared to catch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

ps. Anyone who's read 'Sniper One' will know what I mean when I say every good spotter should have a roll of cling film and be prepared to catch...

lol, great book. Don't fancy having to be the spotter with the clingfilm though, mind you better than soiling your position I suppose.

I actually became quite interested in trying out a sniper role after reading that book, don't think I have the patience for it though, I'm a damn twitchy ADHD kid me...

i use my aeg as a sniper
    Patience... let me tell you about patience... two hours in the same spot.. not moving an inch... Held my position... Gotta keep that containment on!!!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Yeah I was there, saw the whole thing....well not really cos I couldn't see him. not a budge out of him.

sniper
    what a propose is that everyone who has shown interest in this form of game to join forces for operation broad sword and it can be a sniper vs aeg war for most of the operation and the rest of it we can all split into diff teams for some other games working as a unit with teams havin all sections a team should such as support assault SNIPER and team leader anyone interested? to the mods this is not a chance to ''pimp'' sac or broad sword its simply a good chance to get this style of game up and runnin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

amaughan wrote: »
    what a propose is that everyone who has shown interest in this form of game to join forces for operation broad sword and it can be a sniper vs aeg war for most of the operation and the rest of it we can all split into diff teams for some other games working as a unit with teams havin all sections a team should such as support assault SNIPER and team leader anyone interested? to the mods this is not a chance to ''pimp'' sac or broad sword its simply a good chance to get this style of game up and runnin

Keep the posts about Broad Sword that thead and leave it to us to decde what pimping is. Im sure the peopel running broad sword would have something to say about you deciding what the game play will be...

• Advertisement
Advertisement