Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeatFM News Presenter

• 03-08-2008 6:42pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ill post this here, as its still radio even if BeatFM is only broadcast in the South East! Plus, it might make interesting conversation.

Iv noticed a couple of times a news presenter on Beat often reads the news with a hoarse throat, finding it difficult to say some words or read longer sentences without the voice breaking. It sounds awful in general. I get the impression she has been out the night before, and came into work with a hangover. Its always around Bank Holidays/Events (like the Spraoi) when her voice is broken, which is where my theory of her being out the night before came from. She has been reading the news today for those curious.

Anyone else find this frustrating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Listen pal don't beat yourself up about it.

They couldn't give a fcuk, otherwise she would be told to take a hike, wouldn't she??

RTE don't give a bollix so why should they.

Just churn any auld shíte out to the punters and the vast majority won't even notice.No use expecting pigs to appreciate caviar is there?

There's your answer Bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Do what I do and switch channels. There's a godawful newsreader on newstalk who sounds like she's got a clothepeg on her nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

BeatFM? When has it ever been called that? The station is called Beat 102-103.

Its strange how people automatically append 'FM' to a radio station when it has never used that!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

Sully wrote: »
    Ill post this here, as its still radio even if BeatFM is only broadcast in the South East! Plus, it might make interesting conversation.

Iv noticed a couple of times a news presenter on Beat often reads the news with a hoarse throat, finding it difficult to say some words or read longer sentences without the voice breaking. It sounds awful in general. I get the impression she has been out the night before, and came into work with a hangover. Its always around Bank Holidays/Events (like the Spraoi) when her voice is broken, which is where my theory of her being out the night before came from. She has been reading the news today for those curious.

i heard her yesterday in the car and was like, what the hell? they cant be serious having her do the news, i heard her 2 hours in a row and she was as bad on both hours.

Email this thread to the station! Which presenter is it? http://www.beat102103.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

alinton wrote: »
    BeatFM? When has it ever been called that? The station is called Beat 102-103.

Its strange how people automatically append 'FM' to a radio station when it has never used that!

A.
    Makes sense to me. Do you actually go around calling it Beat 102-103? It's a bit unwieldy.

No, I call it Beat. Same as I call Spin 1038 'Spin'. Same as I call i102-104 'i'.

Not iFM, SpinFM or BeatFM.

And, If I'm listening on the internet, it ain't FM, is it?!

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some refer to it as a BeatFM, Beat, or Beat102103 (very rare tho).

I tuned into TodayFM instead. Was just supprised they had her doing the news in the first place!

Well should I refer to you as SullFM?

No, Sully of course, cos thats your name.

In the same way as Beat 102103 is their name - or Beat for short.

God I'm feeling pedantic today!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

So if I'm listening to FM104 or TodayFM on DAB or online I should drop the FM part?

News reading at the weekend can be shocking. It's almost like nobody wants to do it, so they accept it and just employ sub-standard or less experienced journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Alinton, please stop going off topic with your pedantry. If you have a comment to make that is relevant to original post please do so.

This warning is for everyone, continued off topic posting will get you an infraction, there's been much too much of it lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

do you remember sean archibald used to to present the news on weekends on todayfm? he always sounded like he never wanted to be there

Vaguely but I don't remember him sounding like that. Then again, my memory's wubbish sometimes.

I do think that it's important that newsreaders can speak properly and don't have irritating speech impediments though. Being able to speak properly should be a pre-requisite for the job, just the same as having good eyesight is needed for being a guard/pilot etc. I've lost count of the newsreaders I've heard who couldn't talk properly, had lisps, were extremely nasally. That sort of thing.

Being hoarse like the newsreader the OP was talking about is unprofessional. She was hired to read the news and to do it properly. Coming into work in a condition (possibly self-inflicted) where she can't do her job properly is unprofessional on her behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Sully wrote: »

Haven't heard her but there's one that does the death notices on WLR and her voice keeps cracking. Either needs to sip some water or the emotion is getting to her!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alinton wrote: »
    Well should I refer to you as SullFM?

No, Sully of course, cos thats your name.

In the same way as Beat 102103 is their name - or Beat for short.

God I'm feeling pedantic today!

A.

Well, Sully isn't my name... but okay, if you wish :p

Anyway, its all back to normal till the next session she goes out on. As for WLRFM, I never listen to it. "First for Waterford" - id love to know how true that statement actually is!

I don't mind Beat news at times, but TodayFM or 2fm tends to be better and more professional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Go on linton, give them hell!

Advertisement