Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Warranty Help

Options
  • 03-08-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help me out here.

I purchased a Philips 42" LCD tv in early December 2006. In October 2007 I noticed a high pitched tone coming from the tv. I called Philips support and initially they tried to charge me €200 for a courier to collect, I kicked up as it was less than a ear old and was then told that the charge would be reduced to €50. I asked to speak to a Manager and then the fee was cancelled.
    They collected it and repaired some tube and something else free of charge.

Now I have a new problem, the tv wont respond to the remote control. It will work on a second Philips tv I own but the second remote and my Sky remote wont work on it. I have replaced the battery and tried reprogramming the Sky Remote but no joy.

Am I covered by warranty for this type of thing. I'm just looking for advice as the first experience I had was a bit dodgy and I'm afraid they'll try charging me again and I'm not as sure as I was the first time.

Thanks a million

Jarvis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The short answer is yes, however, it can be difficult to get a manufacturer to honour a warranty like this. Since it's more than 12 months old, and if it only came with a 12 month warranty, they will probably tell you that they'll charge for repairs.

What most people don't know, and what a lot of shops either don't know or don't say, is that by law, all purchases must last for a reasonable time period. Reasonable is not defined though, and it's often up to a judge to decide, which means you might have to prepare to take the case to the small claims court.

First step, contact Philips and see what they say. If they want to charge for repairs, get the quote in writing from them. Contact the National consumer Association or Citizens Advice Centre for more information on your statutory rights, and then get back to Philips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jor El you of all people would I think would give the right answer here :)

His contract is not with Philips but with the store where he bought it. Go to the store and I'm quite certain that it will go a lot smoother then trying to raise hell with Philips who (short of you buying from a Philips store which I don't believe exist) have no contract with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Nody wrote: »

His contract is not with Philips but with the store where he bought it. Go to the store and I'm quite certain that it will go a lot smoother then trying to raise hell with Philips who (short of you buying from a Philips store which I don't believe exist) have no contract with the OP.

Not sure if this is true as after the 28 day initial warranty the store will then refer the case to the manufacturer, this means they will just be acting as a middle man as such. Surely it'll be faster to cut out the middle man?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jarvis wrote: »
    Not sure if this is true as after the 28 day initial warranty the store will then refer the case to the manufacturer, this means they will just be acting as a middle man as such. Surely it'll be faster to cut out the middle man?
    Well for starters the store can refer you to the manufacturer all they want but the actual contract is with the store and they are the only one you have to deal with. Of course if the manufacturer is reasonable/good to deal with you deal with them but if it don't work out going to the store is by far a better solution then talking small claims court etc. (which iirc would not work as you don't have a contract with them short of the shop closing up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there is NO 28day warranty! this is simply a guideline dreamt up by shopkeepers to get you onto the manufacturers so they do not have to do the work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nody wrote: »

He can deal with Philips, and should because he already has been for a previous fault. Since he has already gone around the shop, I think he should continue to deal directly with Philips.

I'm not sure how dealing with the manufacturer effects your shop warranty, but I'd imagine that it does in some way. The shop could claim that the customer has already waived their rights to deal with the shop by going to the manufacturer, and since the manufacturer has completed a repair, this could be argued to be the cause of the new fault, which the manufacturer should deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jor el wrote: »
    I'm not sure how dealing with the manufacturer effects your shop warranty, but I'd imagine that it does in some way. The shop could claim that the customer has already waived their rights to deal with the shop by going to the manufacturer, and since the manufacturer has completed a repair, this could be argued to be the cause of the new fault, which the manufacturer should deal with.
    I was reading up on that before and it seems that you can still claim off of the shop for the TV even though you went to the manufacturer. The only time you cannot claim off of the shop is when you claim from an insurance policy (e.g. like the insurance argos sell). After claiming from the insurance policy once then all subsequent claims must be made on the insurance policy.

I think since philips repaired the TV then it would be assumed that the TV was repaired properly by a qualified technician thus this extra fault should not be attributed to the inital repair.

OP: It would have been better to deal with the shop from the begining (remember that in future). The only times not to go to the shop is if they have closed down since or if it would cost you money to get to the shop e.g. if you moved away. So this time go to the shop and get it sorted out that way (if possible). If they tell you to contact philips or that your warranty is over then tell them you are entitled for the goods to last a reasonable period of time (which <2 years is definitely not) by law and that your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.

Then if all else fails (e.g. letters to the manager etc) then go down the small claims court route. The courts should always be a last resort.

At all times be courteous and reasonable. Don't go in all law guns ablazing.

Advertisement