Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And we thought signage in Ireland could get no worse.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Can i ask whats wrong with it?
    Do you not like Volvos or something??;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

me neither.... unless its some local geography thing...

or is that 8 upside down ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Looks photoshopped ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

jhegarty wrote: »

or is that 8 upside down ?

+1 - the 8 is upside down - and not just on that sign apparently. This is a new low.

Its not photoshopped I dont think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ehh yes signs can get worse than this tbh.

very disappointed with thread but it would of been something with a bit more ooompph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

christ, if thats the biggest problem you can find with the roads, get a life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

christ, if thats the biggest problem you can find with the roads, get a life.

Its not the only problem. The most unusual though. You will notice yet again the signs dont fit the gantries and the text is not even centered properly. *shock* :rolleyes: An end of motorway sign supposedly for a slip road? Of course if thats acceptable fair enough. I think it is careless stupidity. Think about it - did no one spot these things at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

green signage on a 'motorway' (I take it its the N6) is the other issue, shouldn't be end of motorway signs if theres green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There's practically nothing wrong with the sign.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed - ALL directional signs on the mainline of a motorway, other than standalone brown tourist signs and terminal junctions, should be blue.

In this instance though, isn't this the terminal junction of the M6? So green signs would be allowed? But if this is the case, where are the end of motorway signs on the mainline?

Edit: After checking the pictures on SABRE, this is indeed the terminal junction. So green is fine in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Sign should be blue I think as its still on the motorway?? The chopsticks sign is the tiny little sign you see in the picture, which should be after the off-slip.

Arg theres so much wrong with that pic its not funny :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I don't think the photo is authentic. The image quality of the sign is less than that of the rest of the picture. Also, its colour is slightly wrong -- unlike the rest of the photo. Lastly, green N signage is not to be found on any motorway gantries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Furet wrote: »
    I don't think the photo is authentic. The image quality of the sign is less than that of the rest of the picture. Also, its colour is slightly wrong -- unlike the rest of the photo. Lastly, green N signage is not to be found on any motorway gantries.
    The picture is real and un-doctored. It's just more of the same shocking signage which shows how little the powers that be care about OUR friggin money being wasted on dross like this.

Someone said there was "practically nothing wrong with the sign" but ffs it's a very simple sign in the first place. There should be NOTHING wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The sign may not be perfect but I'm sure that it will not cause any confusion. I'd also safely say that, with the exception of those with engineering backgrounds, 99% of motorists would fail to find anything wrong with it.

I'd be a lot more concerned about signs like these:

BatterLaneSignage-3.jpg

StopYieldSigns-3.jpg

SlowSign1-2.jpg

WarningMandatorySigns-1.jpg

STOP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

murphaph wrote: »
    The picture is real and un-doctored. It's just more of the same shocking signage which shows how little the powers that be care about OUR friggin money being wasted on dross like this.

Someone said there was "practically nothing wrong with the sign" but ffs it's a very simple sign in the first place. There should be NOTHING wrong with it.

True. But in comparison to the numerous gantry signs on motorways and main dual/triple carriageways that point to the left (driving) lane and give the destinations of the next exit while directing main line traffic onto the overtaking lanes it is a minor fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Being bored, I put it into Graphics Converter and blew it up to 1000% and had a good goo at the pixels; yes I know but I was bored. I don't think it is doctored to be honest. That said, I know a chap in this business and signs are laid in mirror image on sings like these so it can happen the odd time that some figures are laid incorrectly; I'd rather an 8 wrong than an arrow :)

Incidentally, when blown up, you can see that all the other letters are exactly correctly lined up so it was well made in spite of one error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be a lot more concerned about signs like these:

If it wasn't for the fact that someones turned the sign around and the council haven't fixed it (and ignore emails telling them about it - and the 8 streetlights in a half a mile that are broken on the R406) I could post identical Stop sign / Yield line photos to your first two photos from outside my house...

The upside-down eight is just a cosmetic thing* - not worried about that, but coming the other way (eastbound) at that junction (N6 leading to the M6, with the N62 exit) there is a "start of motorway" sign before the junction!

Technically making it impossible for non-motorway traffic to exit the N6 without driving on a section of motorway. edit: I think that is where the "non-motorway traffic exit here" sign should have gone, or will be placed in a few weeks.

*Careless not dangerous or illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The upside-down eight is just a cosmetic thing* - not worried about that, but coming the other way (eastbound) at that junction (N6 leading to the M6, with the N62 exit) there is a "start of motorway" sign before the junction!

Technically making it impossible for non-motorway traffic to exit the N6 without driving on a section of motorway. edit: I think that is where the "non-motorway traffic exit here" sign should have gone, or will be placed in a few weeks.

*Careless not dangerous or illegal

There is no "End of Motorway" sign on the slip road leading to the N62 so technically you are under motorway regs all the way to Birr and beyond. :eek:

Also has the N62 been extended from its' old terminal with the former N6 east of the services roundabout? Does it now cover the old N6 up to the new road? Also what R number should the old N6 to Moate be under? None of the signs have been changed to reflect the change in status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

I love that photo of the Stop sign with "SLOW" on it. As far as I am aware, the 8 sided red sign is the one road sign that is standardised in every country in the world. The text might not be the same, but everywhere it means "STOP", except for this place in Ireland .... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Is the blue sign on the slip road coming off - an end of motorway sign & further on up, you can see another green sign.

definitely some mixed messaging - would confuse with speed limits

queen-mise wrote: »
    Is the blue sign on the slip road coming off - an end of motorway sign & further on up, you can see another green sign.

definitely some mixed messaging - would confuse with speed limits

Yes, just past that point the M6 becomes the N6 going west. Strictly speaking both end of motorway signs are in the wrong place, they should be at the roundabout entry as the whole slip road is still part of the motorway, also the M-N6 end is at the point where the westbound slip road joins the road not under the bridge where it was placed.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is no "End of Motorway" sign on the slip road leading to the N62 so technically you are under motorway regs all the way to Birr and beyond. :eek:
    Edit: actually there is it's just in the wrong place. but going east you apparantly join the motorway just before turning off!
    Using that logic roads like this are also motorway :D
    ruralroad.jpg

Advertisement