Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar central development

• 03-08-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Does anyone know when work on the central development is going to start? After all the big hoo-haa about it, when is it likely to see daylight? What's holding it up and also, while I'm at it, when are we going to get the new leisure centre in Robinstown? *fumes quitely* - God knows we could do with some decent (and cheap) leisure facilities in Mullingar. Or do we have to wait 'til they have finished another couple of housing estates first?!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 wetminger

I dont think it will see the light of day for quite a while if ever mate. They will be working on securing an anchor before breaking ground and given that shoppers are tightening their belts stores wont have agressive expansion plans at the moment. M&S is already in Mullingar as is Dunnes so unless they can get Tescos to open another store (which they want to) and they can attract a new anchor like Debenhams (which Mullingar couldnt support), then i dont see how it is ever going to start. Some of the retailers in Athlone TC are apparently struggling and given that thats the case, they wont want second Midland stores which will also struggle. The Council should never have allowed the Fairgreen centre to develop if they wanted Central to materialize as it has targetted and poached potential Central tenants weakening the position of Central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Does anyone know when work on the central development is going to start? After all the big hoo-haa about it, when is it likely to see daylight? What's holding it up and also, while I'm at it, when are we going to get the new leisure centre in Robinstown? *fumes quitely* - God knows we could do with some decent (and cheap) leisure facilities in Mullingar. Or do we have to wait 'til they have finished another couple of housing estates first?!!

there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes on the Central development, not sure on the exact starting date at the moment.

leisure facilitys in Robinstown? do tell more, where they are going to be?
    I hope they have better gym facilitys than the Park Hotel which I'm a member of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

Rumour has it that there are plans for a new leisure centre out at Robinstown, with a decent size pool and community gym *whoops of joy!* that hopefully won't cost the earth to use! Isn't the football stadium and dog track moving there as well? Anyone know anything about this?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I've heard that rumour myself but Robinstown would be a terrible place to put the GAA stadium as there's no pubs near it and it's a hell of a walk from the main town. But they can't develop Cusack park or the dog track due to constraints of the surrounding buildings, that and I hear Dunnes want to extend a warehouse onto where Cusack park is.

Have to admit I like Cusack park and the size of it is fine for the crowds that turn up, they could do with some new seats though, maybe a completely new stand and some shelter on the terraces.

Central looks to be flying along, I doubt they would build it without an anchor tenant. By all accounts Debenhams are struggling badly since they bought over Roches. Maybe Tescos want a more central location. They could do with some more space allright and it would get them away from the flooding they had at the weekend.

Advertisement