Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dun Laoghaire test route

Options
  • 03-08-2008 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hey

So eventually I have managed to get a date for my test. Only thing is it has been moved over to SGS in Dun Laoghaire. As I am desperate I accepted it. I live in Harolds Cross, applied to Churchtown. So my questions are:

1. Anyone got experience of this test route with SGS and could recommend an instructor. I just want a couple of lessons to get used to the route.

2. Would the instructor pick me up from harolds cross so I could use my car.

3. Any ideas on how I can get to the test on the day (do not have anyone who can accompany me and would like to use my own car which I have been driving for the past 8 months).

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The SGS Dun Laoghaire test centre is discussed here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055212632 - and the route i took is in there, along with others.

And about getting there on the day, i'd say you would be ok to drive. If you get stopped by gardai on the way to your driving test it would want to be a very uptight garda to do anything about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's illegal to drive unaccompanied, but I think you should be OK getting to your test. Make sure you've L plates on though.

The Dun Laoghaire circuit is quite alright, and the SGS testers seem to be very professional and give a fair route. One of the hardest turns is actually in to and out of the test centre.

I used Better Drive for that route and found the guy (Peter) very helpful - I think there's at least three-four driving schools who do Dun Laoghaire in any case.

You've a high-ish probability of being brought out on the dual carriageway, so a bit of practice on any stretch of the Dual Carriageway would be a good idea. Make sure you can change lanes and have enough confidence to hold your place on the road. Also note the speed limits near Cornelscourt - they change from 80km/h to 60km/h on parts, and you'll be expected to make progress at full speed when it's safe to do so. Also get used to joining and leaving the dualler, and make sure you keep left normally except when to overtake.

Also a good few of the roads have ramps, and there's been a couple of reports of perfect tests but failed due to ramps seen here for the deansgrange route (which is quite nearby), so take it easy in ramped sections.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow joe

the routes in dun laoghaire dont go near cornelscourt (deansgrange routes do though).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

remember if your on a learner license, regardless of if your heading shopping or for your test, you are not legally on the road. as you are driving illegally, you are also not insured, so if a guard fines you he is completely right to do so.

i wouldnt drive on my own at all for the past month, regardless of how far im going. i got someone to drive with me to the test center and then got them a taxi to their work. so yea, you might get away with it, but its a big risk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

Hey,

Just for your own benefit you are insured even if you are a L driver. Not sure where you got your info from.

Cheers

fguihen wrote: »
    remember if your on a learner license, regardless of if your heading shopping or for your test, you are not legally on the road. as you are driving illegally, you are also not insured, so if a guard fines you he is completely right to do so.

i wouldnt drive on my own at all for the past month, regardless of how far im going. i got someone to drive with me to the test center and then got them a taxi to their work. so yea, you might get away with it, but its a big risk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Can we swap!?!?!?

I live in Dun Laoghaire and was really hoping to do the test locally but they've put me in Churchtown! You'd think they'd try to put people in the nearest centre to where they live.

I don't have anybody to accompany me either and am going to just have to take the chance and drive myself. If you don't want to do that then maybe somebody could accompany you there the evening before and take public transport? (not fun from Harold's Cross to Dun Laoghaire!)

You should definitely drive around the area for a while to get used to it before the test - it would be so much easier for me to do it there as I know the roads. I think most of the Southside driving schools cover Dun Laoghaire/Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fguihen wrote: »
    you are also not insured
    That is not correct. Insurance companies are obliged to honour all 3rd party claims regardless of whether the insured was breaking the law. Otherwise it would mean that, for example, motorists exceeding the speed limit would not be insured.

The insurance company would probably be entitled to recoup the monies from the client is they so chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Hi

You are not allowed drive yourself to the test, you can organise for your instructor to drive you in your own car to the test.

I'd do some practice for area and getting out of the test centre, it can be a little tricky sometimes on that road as narrow, hedges, high wall opposite, on steep hill.

No I cannot do that. As I pointed out I live in Harolds Cross and I was assigned to Dun Laoghaire. I have rang the instructors and they informed me its to much of a distance to get picked up. Also they said you will be fine driving over with your appointment letter.

I have no other option but to do this if I want to pass my test.
    Hi

You are not allowed drive yourself to the test, you can organise for your instructor to drive you in your own car to the test.

I'd do some practice for area and getting out of the test centre, it can be a little tricky sometimes on that road as narrow, hedges, high wall opposite, on steep hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

monkey24 wrote: »
    Also they said you will be fine driving over with your appointment letter.
    You probably will be grand but they can't tell you you will be fine driving by yourself. There is still a possibility of getting stopped and fined €1,000 on the way to the test. :(

• Advertisement

You are right. But I am out of options. I have exhausted every option to obide with the law but as they couldn't give me a test route where I live, this is the only option left. It is extremely frustrating. I bought myself a bike and haven't touched the car since June. I just want to get my licence so this nightmare will be over. If there was anyway of doing so without driving by myself I would.
    Caychadh wrote: »
    You probably will be grand but they can't tell you you will be fine driving by yourself. There is still a possibility of getting stopped and fined €1,000 on the way to the test. :(

Advertisement