Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL or BT

Options
  • 03-08-2008 8:13pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the Swords exchange and subscribe to BT . But when I run Speedtest it shows that my IP is IOL .

Are they the same ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

IOL - ireland on line was owned by esat which became esatBT which then became BT.

yup they are the same

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Thanks Cremo , Hopefully this has something to do with them increasing the speeds . It says on the site that Swords is 24 Mb ready .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sharkman wrote: »
    Thanks Cremo , Hopefully this has something to do with them increasing the speeds . It says on the site that Swords is 24 Mb ready .

The exchange may be 24meg ready, that doesn't mean your line is. Post your line stats and we'll see if it's up to it.

What do you need me to post ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sharkman wrote: »
    What do you need me to post ?

Your router should have an info page showing your current line stats, attenuations, SNR margin etc.

• Advertisement

ADSL WPS Enabled
    Type Interleave
    Status Features
    Downstream Upstream
    Firewall Disabled
    Data Rate(Kbps) 3072 384
    Noise margin (dB) 12.4 16.0
    Output power (dBm) 1.8 10.7

Attenuation (dB) 41.0 24.0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You need to be living in or beside the exchange to get the full 24meg.

sharkman those stats are very poor. You'd be luckly to get 4 meg on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You need to be living in or beside the exchange to get the full 24meg.

sharkman those stats are very poor. You'd be luckly to get 4 meg on that.

On adsl probably but with adsl2+ his stats show;
    "Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 7250Kbps to 11000Kbps"
    taken from here. That site is only inaccurate for calculating your adsl speeds(gives too much weight to SNR), not adsl2 where it calculates your potential speeds by attenuation mainly.

Look at the chart on the following page-http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/extreme/

rc28 wrote: »
    On adsl probably but with adsl2+ his stats show;
    "Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 7250Kbps to 11000Kbps"
    taken from here. That site is only inaccurate for calculating your adsl speeds(gives too much weight to SNR), not adsl2 where it calculates your potential speeds by attenuation mainly.

Look at the chart on the following page-http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/extreme/

This one backs that up as well, saying about 9 meg.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Wish those figures were correct !

307010235.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Hi, I did those two tests to see my max speed and one said 9MB and one said 11MB on ASDL 2. I'm gettin the 24MB package from BT, and live very lose to the exchange, less than half a mile as the crow files, and aparently my line is not too far off it either, according to a BT agent.

These are my stats off my eircom router (I'm on wireless btw)

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 8.50 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 5631 777

Could someone tell me if they are any good? I've been upgraded to 3MBs today, and my line can handle it, I'm maxing out my connection, any help would be great :)

Advertisement