Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fathering a child in a foreign country

Options
  • 03-08-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi i have just returned from a hoilday in peru and have discovered i am going to be a father.the mother is a local girl.i would like any advice, such as sending money, rights, benefits im entitled to (i am unemployed, the mother is a student) etc, from people who have been in a similar positon thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

well if your child stays with you for any time of the year you can claim sinle parent allowance when you get work - its double the normal tax free allowance. single dads have little or no rights in this country but you can get a form of the treoir website and become the childs guardian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IF the child is born over there you will have to look at what thier laws are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Thaedydal wrote: »
    IF the child is born over there you will have to look at what thier laws are.

I suggest you pay a vist to the embassy, they will probably be more than happy that you want to be involved and are not dumping the poor girl in it alone.

Kudos by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

levistubbs wrote: »
    hi i have just returned from a hoilday in peru and have discovered i am going to be a father.the mother is a local girl.i would like any advice, such as benefits im entitled to

None over here if the child does not spend at least part of her time in your care. The laws of Peru will apply - drop into the consulate for better advice.

Would she move here to be with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I'm not trying to stir here but are you sure the baby is yours or that this girl is pregnant at all?
    What does she expect you to do? Move there to be with her, bring her here or just send money?
    Check with the Citizens Advice if you are going to support her in Peru while you are living here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Bring her here, why not she and the baby could have a better life here with you?

PS: Are you happy? :)
    Congrat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

levistubbs wrote: »
    hi i have just returned from a hoilday in peru and have discovered i am going to be a father.the mother is a local girl.i would like any advice, such as sending money, rights, benefits im entitled to (i am unemployed, the mother is a student) etc, from people who have been in a similar positon thanks

Just as well you've got that $200,000 that you were asking about over on the Taxation Forum coming your way then isn't it! ;)

Oh and by the way, if you're unemployed, whatever about the tax issues, having 200k in the bank will affect your entitlement to any means tested SW payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I think any money coming now wouldn't have been much of a help over 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

liliq wrote: »
    I think any money coming now wouldn't have been much of a help over 2 years ago

:o Aw DAMN! Scarlet for myself! I never checked the date on the OP!

Now I can't help but wonder if the $200k is coming from South America, all very intriguing...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread Closed and warning issued to barneystinson

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement