Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much for a small quad

• 03-08-2008 9:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

the parents want to buy a small 50cc quad for my 7 year old brother for his birthday. how much would you expect to pay for one and what should it have ie 4 stroke or two stroke engine etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

anyone please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi mate. great present to buy. im into motocross myself.

your best bet is to look at www.motocross.ie and if you look at the marketplace section im sure there will be plenty there. Id personally got for the 4 stroke. much smoother ride especially at that age.

One piece of advice dont buy of planet fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds stupid to give a mechanically propelled vehicle to a seven year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Get your parents to read the following article from last week before they make a decision.

Quad bike controls urged after toddler (3) is killed
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/quad-bike-controls-urged-after-toddler-3-is-killed-1443747.html

God how pathetic you guys are. the sport is much bigger and more fun ten a few sports I know. sure look at this video. plenty of ppl age 7 and younger doing this sport and leading to professionals. It gives a lot of confidence to a child

try doing wat tis kid does on a bike and ill give use 100 quid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxUJI0Ih7R0

german heres the quads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woolOJGOo4k

its a superb bonding experience

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

you can restrict the speed in them. its not for sport its more so just for fun as we live in a farm it will probably be the father most of the time driving up the cows in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If your getting one I would stick to a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki one, anything else would appear to be complete rubbish. Not sure if these manufacture anything at 50cc though.

god forbid any child could get knocked down tomorrow so allow them to live life. thats all we ever want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

blahblah06 wrote: »
    god forbid any child could get knocked down tomorrow so allow them to live life. thats all we ever want

Agreed, perfectly safe as long as you know it's extremely dangerous. The chap in the videos is well wrapped up in protective clothing and I'd say his folks were around bikes for years, that's where the difference is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'm with Victor on this. A 7 year old driver has not got the maturity and speed of response to be always in control. The accident in which the child was killed last week was allegedly where an older child lost control of a quad.

Accidents can and will happen but I certainly wouldn't be in favour of letting a 7 year old loose with a quad, no matter what the environment is in terms of control and safety.

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    I'm with Victor on this. A 7 year old driver has not got the maturity and speed of response to be always in control. The accident in which the child was killed last week was allegedly where an older child lost control of a quad.

Accidents can and will happen but I certainly wouldn't be in favour of letting a 7 year old loose with a quad, no matter what the environment is in terms of control and safety.

I totally disagree with your first comment. 7 year old kids who know how to ride a bike by the proper training are well able to handle bikes or quads. Id be safer putting a kid on a quad before a bike because 4 wheels and room for an adult to sit to show him or her the ropes.

Of course it depends on what the famlys background is and if the child would be interested in it. We cant all have them playing badminton although tem shuttle cocks are lethal at the best of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved from motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I totally disagree with your first comment. 7 year old kids who know how to ride a bike by the proper training are well able to handle bikes or quads. Id be safer putting a kid on a quad before a bike because 4 wheels and room for an adult to sit to show him or her the ropes.

Of course it depends on what the famlys background is and if the child would be interested in it. We cant all have them playing badminton although tem shuttle cocks are lethal at the best of times

Very true, you are allowed race a quad (200cc blaster) at 12 so when are you supposed to learn? i have one for my kids and they have great fun on it, no more dangerous than their bikes or the berg go kart or the trampoline.

@GERMAN ROCKS. A good friend of mine sells quads (Decent ones not chineese and korean sh1te), pm me if you want and ill put you in touch with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

well getting back to the point :rolleyes:, Hensim offer a nice 50cc bike for young children, they can be limited back to what ever you want and come with a remote so you can controll it from where you are standing. Kids grow fast so there is a 70cc to similar bike though. I Think http://www.hensimireland.ie/ should put on the right path,

Its true that a jap bike is better quality, but its only going to get a small amount of use, and the hensims are well built bikes with a dealer network and spare parts back up.

What ever make make sure there is a parts back up along with a gaurentee.

Care to comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Victor wrote: »
    Care to comment?

Care to explain why you're posting this?

At the moment we are assuming that the youngfella who is to be gifted with this quad will use it in a controlled and supervised environemnt, aren't we :D

7 years olds do what 7 year olds do, especially when in the company of their peers. The large muddy bit is from the quad being used by another kid to go around and around (and around and around ... aww go on Father!) in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'm not trying to fall back on the "parents" defense but those kids in the pic don't look supervised Victor (also have no clue what speed the thing is capable of, is it electric or petrol etc etc etc)

What age did Lewis Hamilton start driving a go-kart?

Just buying a kid a quad and giving him unrestricted acces with out setting boundaries or giving him proper instruction is looking for trouble though

Some kids can handle the responsibility and some cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

There seem to ba a load of smaller quads on ebay if you look.

I grew up on a farm and was steering tractors from my fathers knee at 4 years of age. By 14 I was allowed my own car under the condition that I keep it going. Things have progressed a lot since then with farm accidents and road deaths and It all depends on the level of supervision they will get on the quad.
    At that age I think kids have the attitude that they are invincible and will have little regard for any vehicle they are driving but if they are being supervised and coached along and not just handed the keys to keep them out of the house(like the scumbags kids in the pictures) I dont see why it could be anything but good experience for later life, good fun or at least something to brag about at school:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

These 50cc quads are €550 can be bought online. 50cc quads are very small and can be outgrown quickly

atv110-gt.jpg

http://quadbikes.ie/index.php/2008/01/24/rexton-50cc-quad/

• Advertisement
Advertisement