Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have car sales picked up?

Options
  • 03-08-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭

I put my car up for sale 3 weeks ago, a 2000 reg Alfa 156 1.8, not perfect but running well. I priced it at €2,400 initially which was pretty competitive with other cars advertised on carzone at the time considering it was NCT'd for 2 years and taxed until december. I had no contact for the first two weeks barr the usual scam e-mails and the obligatory call from automatch or whatever they're calling themselves today (my god they're persistent trying to persuade me they were kosher even after I told them straight out that they were nothing but scam artists and personally insulted the guy on the other end of the phone).
    Last tuesday I said **** it and dropped the price to €2,000 in a bid to move it quickly. Sure enough I got a call on friday from somebody who wanted to view it yesterday. True to my previous experience, the first person to view a car I was selling, bought the car. I sold it for €1,900 which I was happy enough with.
    Now here's the thing, despite marking all my adds (carzone, adverts, alfaireland and ebay) as sold almost immediately, I've had a few more people getting in touch about the car later yesterday and today, not a sausage for a few weeks and then suddenly multiple calls. Did I just find the sweetspot on the price or have things started to pick up? Did anyone else who's selling at the moment notice an increase in interest this weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,439 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote: »
    have things started to pick up?

I hope so :)

Anyway the dude that bought your '00 156 for €1,900 got some car for his money!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

People still have money to spend but unlike up to recently they now are more shrewed at how and what they spend it on and are prepared to wait for what they consider the right price to be.

You also have to factor in the time of year too, most people are focused on holidays at this time of year rather than buying a car. Plus the recent uncertainty of the VRT change didn't help matters either.

I would expect from here on in to the end of the year things will pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote: »
    I hope so :)

Anyway the dude that bought your '00 156 for €1,900 got some car for his money!

It's a crime against motoring that your car can't sell. I'd have it myself if I had a permanent full time job. In the unlikey event you have it September 12 months I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Had a few (genuine) contacts about the allroad over the weekend, so Im hopeful things are picking up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Got more calls last night even though all the adds are cancelled. Must have been in the print edition of carzone or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement