Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

number 17 bus??

Options
  • 03-08-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

just wondering, how bad is the number 17 bus exactly? like im lookin for an honest response for people who have personal experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's not too bad if you're trying to get in early, but it becomes very irregular at non-peak times, and the timetable is somewhat of a piece of fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

It's not too bad if you're trying to get in early, but it becomes very irregular at non-peak times, and the timetable is somewhat of a piece of fantasy.
    lol that is indeed an honest comment but i say ye are being too kind for 17 bus.

17 bus is the biggest turn down when i need to go blackrock/dundrum,i would rather just sit at home.It really is absolutely dire.

you will need to turn up for about (at least) 30mins then maybe ,one bus will show up,unless you are lucky.i dont have exams in blackrock since 1st yr (we had exam at 7pm we at the bus stop at 5pm lol still at the risk of not getting in on time) - what i will do is check the timetable online before you heading to the bus stop ,and pray.good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I personally believe the existance of the number 17 is just a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The 17 is a disgrace. Cycle to Blackrock or Dundrum. It rarely comes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I used to get the 17 from rialto to UCD

The 17 time table at the bus stop was out of date when I was in UCD, but from the website it was about right. Allow 10 mins either side of the stated time. ie be there 10 mins before its supposed to come, though it might arrive 10 mins late.

I used to get the last bus from UCD to Rialto and it took about 30 mins, but during rush hour it could take 2 hours

• Advertisement

I've been waiting at a bus stop for an hour before for it, and have just given up in the end (and walked through UCD and flagged down a taxi on the other side).

But in the morning it was OK getting it at Rathfarnham, but I suppose that is the first 17 of the day and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The first 17 is on time, usually. After that, it's at the mercy of traffic, and the horrendously long crosstown route quickly renders the timetable a work of fiction... During peak times, you can almost outrun it on foot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the early ones are ok but after that its anyones guess. the timetable is a work of fiction, pure and simple. I got the 17 to school for years, complete disaster of a service. just cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I found that if you're getting it from the Blackrock terminal, it's okay. Usually within ten minutes of the timetable. But I never get it from UCD home, it's just too unreliable. Try and see if there's another bus route, even it requires some walking. I'd rather walk a long way to a reliable bus to be honest.
    That said, I never missed a lecture because of the 17, and if you have no other option, though it can be stressful, you will eventually get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Have to agree with most of the above. The service is dodgey at best. Wouldn't depend on it, especially for exams. During exams in 1st and 2nd year we the majority in Blackrock. People would que 2 hours+ before the exam to get a bus but they wouldn't come till 30mins before the start. I remember invigulators letting people into the exams 30 mins late due to this problem.

The problem is easily avoidable though, both Blackrock and Dundrum are within cycling distance, no more than 20mins either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Your best bet is to cycle to UCD (much faster, and a lot more reliable ad cheap) and lock your bike good and proper.

Advertisement