Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is feminism

Options
  • 03-08-2008 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

ok I'm after spending about 20 minutes typing this out to find the thread was locked when I tried to post it. Fair enough it's gone off topic so here's a new thread for it.
    Not really a "what is feminism" post at all - just a reference to majd's close upon closing the thread.
    The original thread is here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055346831&page=5
    (the "question for the guys" one)

edit: ok the relevant posts have been moved here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348238&page=2

---
    The idea that feminism is about sticking with all female viewpoints at any cost is a misinformed one.

i never mentioned feminism.
    I put the discussion into my own frame of reference by imagining men saying the things equivalent to what the women were saying, and vice-versa.
    if I had a quid for everytime a guy has said to me "We're not all like that"!!!!! if there's a guy saying or doing something out of order, I'd be a rich lady. If a guy acts like an idiot and all his mates agree with him because they share a penis then more fool them.

whooosh. Hear that? It's the sound of the point you just missed.
    If a guy is clearly doing something specific out of order then of course they'll be criticised. What I said was:
    if a girl said something really negative about men in general,
    "they're all the same yadda yadda yadda"... you know - the sh!te women talk,
    -guys generally would argue or dismiss her

The original comment by setantal was this:
    Well I used to think that woman were irrational emotional train wreckages interested in irrelevent things like soaps, celebrities and shiny things that the magpies wouuldn't take.

After threads about which shoulder you wear your handbag on, the correct way to apply horrible looking tan on beautiful white skin, and two infractions now I know they are.

he's saying pretty nasty sh!t about women in general and some of the female responses are to jump over each other to agree with him - about the other women of course.

Your frame of reference for the equivalent with guys was so off the mark because you probably don't have a correct one.

Here is my imaginary equivalent:

girliechannel: "I thought guys are all emotionally stinted and sexually repressed...after reading the soccer forum I know that is the case"
    dude: "oh I don't like soccer but I'll indicate my embarrassment for those that do."
    etc

it just doesn't happen. Women are bitchier than men. Show me a male gossip and I'll show you an effeminate man.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement