Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a kite shop in Galway?

Options
  • 03-08-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Or a kite club.

Will be getting myself a power kite in October.

It will be deadly craic. For those of you that's don't know what it's all about...check out this link for example....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=semzVdaACTU&feature=related

That's kite jumping....there's also kite buggying, surfing and skating and we have the perfect weather for it!

Irelands rubbish weather has some positives (albeit few!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Looks like fun, What happens when the kite slips out of your hand?

Anyway, I doubt you will find anywhere in Galway that sells that kind of kit.

Edit: Could try ask these blokes http://www.kitesurfing.ie/
    But I think your best bet would be to shop online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Krieg wrote: »
    Looks like fun, What happens when the kite slips out of your hand?

Anyway, I doubt you will find anywhere in Galway that sells that kind of kit.

Edit: Could try ask these blokes http://www.kitesurfing.ie/
    But I think your best bet would be to shop online

Yeah I'm going to get it online...just wondering what there was around Galway that's all.

You actually use a harness when jumping.

I think It's Magic sell kites of some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Or a kite club.

Will be getting myself a power kite in October.

It will be deadly craic.

Workaccount powerkiting is great craic & highly addictive!! I've been doing it for over a year, mostly on a landboard but also on a buggy - I prefer the landboard. I'm moving up to kitesurfing soon.

There are no kiting clubs or shops in Galway, and the bad news is, Galway is pants for powerkiting we are lacking any good spots. The only spot that is any way usable is the Big park in Renmore (and this even sucks). You gotta travel to Lahinch, Mayo or Sligo for any kiting in the west.

Check out http://www.kitingireland.com/forum/index.php - some good guys over there that will answer any questions you may have.
    For those of you that's don't know what it's all about...
    check out this link for example....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=semzVdaACTU&feature=related

Ahhhh...yeah. I started out looking at those movies too :rolleyes: but to be honest that is not what powerkiting is about. Those guys in the movie are all due a extended stay in hospital :D Powerkiting is an great sport, BUT the wind MUST be respected - its damn easy to do yourself damage! Powerkites can pack a powerful punch.. the wrong kite in the wrong winds will kick your ass.

If you want to try out one of my kites before you buy let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Yea, I really didnt think anywhere in Galway would be suitable for powerkiting, theres no beach big enough!!

It very popular in Kerry also, but then, the beaches r superb
    !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Don't know if the guy is still based in Galway, but i bought a few bits off mobilekiteshop.ie i think its changed its name now to

http://www.kiteshop.ie/

I used to see the van around Lr Salthill all the time.

pencil wrote: »
    Workaccount powerkiting is great craic & highly addictive!! I've been doing it for over a year, mostly on a landboard but also on a buggy - I prefer the landboard. I'm moving up to kitesurfing soon.

There are no kiting clubs or shops in Galway, and the bad news is, Galway is pants for powerkiting we are lacking any good spots. The only spot that is any way usable is the Big park in Renmore (and this even sucks). You gotta travel to Lahinch, Mayo or Sligo for any kiting in the west.

Check out http://www.kitingireland.com/forum/index.php - some good guys over there that will answer any questions you may have.

Ahhhh...yeah. I started out looking at those movies too :rolleyes: but to be honest that is not what powerkiting is about. Those guys in the movie are all due a extended stay in hospital :D Powerkiting is an great sport, BUT the wind MUST be respected - its damn easy to do yourself damage! Powerkites can pack a powerful punch.. the wrong kite in the wrong winds will kick your ass.

If you want to try out one of my kites before you buy let me know.

Hmmm, I know the beaches are small in galway but for a beginner would they be ok because all I'm going to be doing is learning technique and dragging myself across the beach etc. No boards or buggies!

I'm usually in Mayo at the weekends anyway. What parts are good?
    I know Achill is one but that's an hour and a half away.

I was going to get the beamer 3 (3 metre) due to recommendations on another board. It's supposed to be safe and not too powerful. I am toying of going for the 4 metre one anyway though seeing as I know it won't be long before I have to upgrade. What do you think - would 4 metres be too powerful? I'm about 11 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I've got a Blade 3 3m and that can kick my arse

Yea, I really didnt think anywhere in Galway would be suitable for powerkiting, theres no beach big enough!!

It very popular in Kerry also, but then, the beaches r superb
    !!!

Yeah, the beaches in Kerry are class. You can get 6km runs on Banna - sweet.

Hmmm, I know the beaches are small in galway but for a beginner would they be ok because all I'm going to be doing is learning technique and dragging myself across the beach etc. No boards or buggies!

Yeah most beaches around are good for static flying.
    I'm usually in Mayo at the weekends anyway. What parts are good?
    I know Achill is one but that's an hour and a half away.

There are some great beacges just past Louisburg. Omey Island just past Cliften is good also. Dogs Bay near Roundstone is good also.
    I was going to get the beamer 3 (3 metre) due to recommendations on another board. It's supposed to be safe and not too powerful. I am toying of going for the 4 metre one anyway though seeing as I know it won't be long before I have to upgrade. What do you think - would 4 metres be too powerful? I'm about 11 stone.

The first kite I got was a four line 3.5 Flexfoil Rage, this would be much like the Beamer. I still love this kite.

Get a kite on handles to start with.

• Advertisement

Get a kite on handles to start with.

Dya reckon there worth it, yeah?

There a good bit extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Do argos do something like this? Maybe not..

Dya reckon there worth it, yeah?

There a good bit extra.

Good bit extra for handles????? Its usually cheaper as you don't need a harness.

Without a doubt, for your first kite you definitely want handles

1429_prolink_4_line_handles_tn.jpg

Powerkites are much more controllable with handles. By learning the basics on handles you really get a feel for kites & the wind window. You'll move on to using a bar & harness (which make it easier to fly) when you get moving.

Checkout the fun these guys are having with handles & buggies
    http://www.flyozone.com/landkites/downloads/vids/Cult.avi

Checkout the fun these guys are having with handles & buggies
    http://www.flyozone.com/landkites/downloads/vids/Cult.avi

Handles it is so.

So back to kite jumping then pencil. Can it be done safely if you are a good kiter?

Handles it is so.

So back to kite jumping then pencil. Can it be done safely if you are a good kiter?

Yep - with right kite & conditions. Not massively airborne myself yet (don't have a floaty kite).

MattKid wrote: »
    I've got a Blade 3 3m and that can kick my arse

3 metre it is so. You look big enough on your myspace profile.

The blade is supposed to be badass though anyway - for the more experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

The size you need depends very much on your weight as well as on the wind conditions.

For someone with a "standard" weight of about 12 stone a 3 meter fixed bridle kite like the HQ beamer or something similar could be a good kite to start - will keep you busy for the start in normal to strong winds but not punish you. However as this is not a particularly lifty kite you won't be able to get more than some minor hops out of it - but believe me, you don't want to be carried away and kicked around by a beast of a kite anyway in the beginning and it's important to learn the essentials first before progressing to mad jumping or stuff. There's a reason why the sport is called "POWERkiting".

Got myself some kites as well throughout the last few months, but I needed to get them online as there is no kiteshop in Galway at all; The mobilekiteshop guy has finished his business unfortunately, so if you want some quality stuff you better stick to online kiteshops.

Have a look on forums like community.flexifoil.com or racekites.com in regards to advice for buying your first kite - All the different opinions can be a bit overwhelming in the first place, but nevertheless you'll get a good idea of what is recommendable.

captainfuture speaks the truth.

the people over on www.kitingireland.com are a helpful knowledgable bunch.

Advertisement