Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reffered sinus pain

• 03-08-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi all i dive a bit only ever done the padi open water and just go diving maybe 10 times a yr. only ever go on nice relaxed dives 10-15m in good vis and weather live in brisbane so perfect for someone like me whose no expert and inexpierenced and doesnt want dangerous or challegning dives you follow me.

anyway was diving couple months ago and got a pain behind my tooth like it was going to explode! had to surface was told it was reffered sinus pain, done one dive since and it didnt come back. visit dentist and had it xray got the all clear there, just wondering if anyone knows about refferred sinus pain theres no much on the net. going to fiji next week and want to make sure be ok

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

"The proximity of the upper molar and bicuspid teeth to the maxillary sinus frequently causes divers to experience referred pain from the sinus applying pressure to the roots of teeth near the affected sinuses. In fact the most frequent cause of barodontalgia is associated with maxillary sinus congestion and maxillary dental pain, otherwise known as sinus squeeze."

The above is straight from Scuba Doc online. A very rare condition, and one that will probably never repeat itself.

Would suggest some drops of Olbas or Eucalyptus Oil on a hankie to lay on your pillow as you sleep - a few nights before taking off for Fiji.

Nothing like some practical insurance!

Enjoy the diving

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

thanks for that i was only at bout 5m on a shore dive the pain was so bad just flew straight up, just been worried if i was at 18m or something and it happened.

i'm taking antibitocis and sudafed this week to clear out any fluid that is trapped in the middle ear they dont always equlaize when i yawn. and seeing a specilist in the morning. hopefully they'll be right. do you dive in ireland?

Yes, I am an Irish diver diving Ireland.

You should not expect your ears to clear while yawning. It doesn't work for everyone, incl. me.

There are many methods of ear clearing, or equalisation, and usually the common Val Salva (nose pinch) method works for all, with limited success on the others.

Once you have found one that you can comfortably use, why change?

BTW if you feel some ear pain coming up from 18m, or any depth, it could well be reverse block. This can happen after taking decongestants like Sudafed.
    The LAST thing you want to do is head straight up!
    You must head DOWN to allow the middle ear to slowly equalise, then do a slow ascent.

Heading directly up would exacerbate the problem, and may cause at least a ruptured eardrum with possible middle ear damage as well, round window etc.

Google reverse block in divers and see what I mean.

Seadeuce

thanks for that it was just that time with the tooth felt like it was going to explode soon as i surfaced the pain was gone. when to a specilist yesterday told me small blockage from in tube from middle ear to nose that what the problem not too bad he said and gave me stuff for it!

out of interest wat is the diving like in ireland, is it really only for the dedicated expierenced and people really into it?? i've read its more for the expierenced due to cold etc, home on holidays next summer and wouldnt mind doing a dive in ireland.

as i said i've been doing it a few years with bout 10 dives a year but would consider myself inexpierenced due to the easy conditions i only ever go diving in.

obviously i wouldnt have time to join club etc at home, but would like to go to a padi centre and do 2 dives next hol to ireland, is it suitable for people like me???? be nice to do it at home after doing it all over the pacific \

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

Hi,
    Diving in Ireland can be the best in the world if the conditions are right. Its not cold if you wear the right equipment and even if you don't have one the local dive center can equip you with a 7mm semi dry suit for your dives. Its just as easy to dive here as it is anywhere else - we just wear more neoprene so have to wear more weight thats all. The only other things is that there may not be as much colourful life as you will find in the Pacific but there is lots to see and what we lack in colour we make up for in other things. Hope you do get a dive in when you get back and make sure you post the experience here.

Regards
    Colin McBride
    First 4 Scuba Ltd
    www.first4scuba.com

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Diving in Ireland can be the best in the world if the conditions are right. Its not cold if you wear the right equipment and even if you don't have one the local dive center can equip you with a 7mm semi dry suit for your dives. Its just as easy to dive here as it is anywhere else - we just wear more neoprene so have to wear more weight thats all. The only other things is that there may not be as much colourful life as you will find in the Pacific but there is lots to see and what we lack in colour we make up for in other things. Hope you do get a dive in when you get back and make sure you post the experience here.

Regards
    Colin McBride
    First 4 Scuba Ltd
    www.first4scuba.com

thanks i will give it a go i had the impression you had to have training thru a club for home due to the conditions. i did hear that ireland was one of the best places in the world alright only it was more for the expierenced diver

well back from fiji had the ears looked at by specalist before i went, it was a slight blockage from the middle ear to the nose was the problem, had no problems with the referred sinus pain. the diving in fiji was out of this world! the resort stayed at had own dive centre 30c weather water was up to 29c one day no need for a wetsuit even!!! seen reef sharks manta rays lionfish etc etc would reccomend fiji to anyone perfect for the beginner diver too

Glad you enjoyed it and had no problems.

Water temp is a warm 14/15degsC here at the moment. Enough to wake one up!

You will def love diving here - if it's on the west coast esp. Apr/May/Sept best months for viz.

Stay wet

Seadeuce

seadeuce wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it and had no problems.

Water temp is a warm 14/15degsC here at the moment. Enough to wake one up!

You will def love diving here - if it's on the west coast esp. Apr/May/Sept best months for viz.

Stay wet

Seadeuce

looking forward to it, wats the maxiimum irish waters get up too. be home on hols next summer going to go diving. any reccomendations for a dive centre will go anywhere really as will be on hols in ireland for a month. dunno bout the water tho think the years in the australia have made me too soft for irish water temps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

k974 wrote: »
    well back from fiji had the ears looked at by specalist before i went, it was a slight blockage from the middle ear to the nose was the problem, had no problems with the referred sinus pain. the diving in fiji was out of this world! the resort stayed at had own dive centre 30c weather water was up to 29c one day no need for a wetsuit even!!! seen reef sharks manta rays lionfish etc etc would reccomend fiji to anyone perfect for the beginner diver too

There is some great diving in Fiji - I did a few weeks there a couple of years ago.

Where did you go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement