Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

• 04-08-2008 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I see the super celts are in to sign this young spanish lad marc crosas, by all accounts he's decent enough, but still had problems breaking into Lyon during his loan last year, though he is still young.

Great result in Holland tonight beating feynord 3-1. Didnt see it, but sound like samaras and Big jan did the buisness, did anyone catch it?

Does anyone think we are relying on McGeady a bit too much, if he gets injurted we are FUBARed IMO.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

So were ditching the SPL thread then?

Am i still allowed to talk to you guys?
    My feelings are so hurt....really.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

eh not sure what you mean....

anyone can contribute, but just wanted to focus on the day to day celtic stuff. i get fed up with the constant bickering and back and forth on the SPL one, would rather like to keep debate going about how the Celtic team and club are going. There should be a seperate rangers and celtic super thread anyway, there is defo enough fans for each, and that way people can give their views without the thread descending into slagging and spoiling, as the super threads are protected by being specifically team orientated.

having celtic fans and rangers fans posting on the same thread about their clubs is be a bit like man u and liverpool fans sharing a thread, it defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I always wondered why there was no specific celtic and Rangers superthreads, saw nothing in the rules to stop it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Eire bear would just be talking to himself in the rangers one if it existed, The old Celtic thread was renamed as the SPL one iirc because well outside of the Celtic thread nobody talked about the SPL

did anyone try to set up a rangers specific thread, i think it would defo get support and there could not be any spoiling or slagging due to the rules.

The combat can take place in other general news threads that pop up (specifically old firm game threads)

Anyway, what about Mcgeady, are we too reliant?

Also, do you think koki mizuno will come through this year?

Sorry Vincenzo but have a read of the SPL thread, there is very little bickering back and forth on that, a point that many people have commented on in the past.

I couldnt care what the thread was called, the way i see it most of the Celtic fans on here are as interested in what my views are on Rangers (and O'Donnell's if he starts posting again) as we are in theirs on Celtic (and vice versa if im honest).

Splitting it into a different Celtic thread is just pointless.

EDIT: There are only a handfull of us who really give enough of a crap about either team to talk about them on a regular basis, so the chances are that I am just gonna come in here and talk about Rangers to the Celtic guys because this is where they will post more regularly.
    Which kind of defeats the purpouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

did anyone try to set up a rangers specific thread, i think it would defo get support and there could not be any spoiling or slagging due to the rules.

The combat can take place in other general news threads that pop up (specifically old firm game threads)

Anyway, what about Mcgeady, are we too reliant?

Also, do you think koki mizuno will come through this year?

We are definitely too reliant on McGeady. Saw the whole game tonight. Feyenoord dominated for long periods of time and were probably the better team over the 90 minutes, Celtic were just more clinical in their finishing.

Caldwell was my motm by a country mile (I genuinely can't believe I said that).

Crossas and Tamas to sign on Tuesday.

I think without McGeady we are very ordinary... but should still be way too good for Rangers this year.

at least we are winning, the spurs game was not good.

Caldwell MOM holy moley. who played left back?

strach looks like he wants to keep Brown Robson and hartley in the same team, If Naka is to be included when he is back, that means 1 up front, or either brown or Robson making way.

Did pat Mc Court or darren O Dea get a run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Has Pat McCourt seen any action yet?

but should still be way too good for Rangers this year.

I doubt that would be too hard for most teams at the moment....

at least we are winning, the spurs game was not good.

Caldwell MOM holy moley. who played left back?

strach looks like he wants to keep Brown Robson and hartley in the same team, If Naka is to be included when he is back, that means 1 up front, or either brown or Robson making way.

Did pat Mc Court get a run out?

McCourt not been available yet but I hear he might be on the bench against Man City midweek.

Robson was injured today, Naylor was left back and (surprisingly) played very well. Caldwell moved into midfield when Bobo came on. Caddis didn't appear at all, he was an unused sub. Scott Brown was ok.

Mark Brown made 3 or 4 excellent saves in the second half... that might be enough to ensure he doesn't get sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

How did O'Dea play at centre half? He was woeful when I saw him against Middlesbrough

How did O'Dea play at centre half? He was woeful when I saw him against Middlesbrough

He was ok, not great but not bad.

I think he's good enough to be a top quality centre half, I've really liked him there but he will never ever be a full back.

He needs 20+ games at centre half to give us a proper long look at him. IMO himself and Bobo should have been the first choice centre halves last season. Every time O'Dea has played centre half for us in a proper game he has looked immense.

He's good in the air, an excellent reader of the game, utterly fearless in the tackle - puts his whole weight into every tackle, very good passer, great temperment and has been known to score goals, has a better strike rate at Celtic than Kenny Miller!!!

His negatives - lacks pace, Starchan rates too many people above him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We are definitely too reliant on McGeady. Saw the whole game tonight. Feyenoord dominated for long periods of time and were probably the better team over the 90 minutes, Celtic were just more clinical in their finishing.
    I thought Celtic dominated the first half. Feyenoord had the better of the 2nd.
    His negatives - lacks pace, Starchan rates too many people above him.
    Strachan see's O'Dea as a left sided centre half and so is back up to McManus. If McManus got injured last year O'Dea would have stepped in. I don't know why though because they did very well together twice against Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I reckon it'll be Hibs who'll walk away with the SPL this year lads, we've developed a bond with that club after playing them two pre-seasons in a row... We are giving them Messi/ Etoo/ Yaya/ Puyol for the season... :P

I really hope Barca don't sell ye Crosas. He is an amazing talent, and we'll get f*ck all money for him seeing as he is still in relative obscurity... Its not that I don't like Celtic, its just I'd rather keep him, alot of Fabregas qualities about him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

What's this? A Celtic thread? Didn't we have one of these before, and someone renamed it even though it was - I'd say - 90%+ Celtic discussion?

Anyway, that aside, I agree we rely on McGeady too much. We're a little bit predictable sometimes with just constantly passing to him and looking for the magic. Naka being out of course doesn't help matters.

I think squad-wise we're ok for the SPL at the moment, aside from left-back which is really beginning to worry me now as there seems to have been little or no mention of left-backs aside from Paul Robinson. For Europe though, I think we'll do well to replicate the last couple of years relative success in Europe with the last 16 unless we can secure a few new signings to strengthen the squad. Tamas seems like a good option with his international experience, but I know nothing of Crosas.

This week should be interesting, I can't believe the new season kicks off on Sunday. Where has the summer (what summer) gone? :eek:

Barcelona have announced that Celtic have agreed a fee for Crosas.

€500k initial fee which could rise to €1.4m.
    25% sell on clause.
    There'll be a clause in his contract allowing him to join Barca for €2m in the summer of 2010.

That clause is a strange one but a good idea by Barca. They want to loan him. Crosas and Celtic want a permanent deal. If he really doesn't want to leave in 2010 then I doubt they'd want to buy him anyway. They obviously rate him highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Eirebhoy, trust me, he is a very very impressive player. He has alot of Fabregasesque talents. 1.4 million is potentially nothing, but Im glad we have a buy back option.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Rangers announce a new sponsorship deal with Easyjet.........
    In and out of Europe in just 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Rangers announce a new sponsorship deal with Easyjet.........
    In and out of Europe in just 3 hours

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Barcelona have announced that Celtic have agreed a fee for Crosas.

BBC link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7544311.stm

If this guy is as good as people say, that's a great bit of business. I think we'll see a lot more of these type of deals (buy back options, portions of future transfers etc.) as they allow Celtic to get players they probably wouldn't be able to get normally.

Wondering about this bit though:
    Meanwhile, Celtic are also believed to have ended their interest in Auxerre defender Gabriel Tamas in order to pursue other defensive targets.

That Tamas deal has been on and off, back on and now off again. Is Marko Basa back on the cards I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Hi Guys,
    Apologies for going off topic. I'm going over to Old Firm on 31st, normally stay in Jurys Inn but fancy staying on the West end for a change, can anyone recommend a not too expensive hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thats actually really quite funny....bastard!

Haha good one:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Pat McCourt on the bench tonight vs Man City.

Hope he gets a run

O'Dea playing really well. Hartley doing very well off the ball. Crap game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Im impressed with the new digital advertisement hoarding around the pitch

makes the stadium more modern.

Celtic67 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Apologies for going off topic. I'm going over to Old Firm on 31st, normally stay in Jurys Inn but fancy staying on the West end for a change, can anyone recommend a not too expensive hotel?

There used to be a Jury's along Great Western Rd, almost at Anniesland....not sure what its called now though. Check that one out

TBH most of the hotels in the West End will be fairly pricy...because its the west end... i would say the City Centre is your best bet, your close to everything then.

What about Paul Caddis? :eek: He ripped the piss out of City every time he got the ball (should have had a stonewall peno, superb cross for McCourt, set up McGowan to hit the bar... all incidents after beating a player or 2). He seems to win man of the match more often than not at reserve and youth level where he plays right back.

Every man by man review of Caddis' performance I could find on celticfcblog...

April 2007 vs Rangers:
    Paul Caddis: Captain and key player, but was well shut out of the game by Rangers. Kept going to the end and was not culpable for any of the goals. A certain starter for the Reserves next season.

December 2006 vs Inverness:
    Another inspiring display by Captain Marvel, who continues to power forward with skill, pace and courage. Still a bit on the small side, so Inverness put a giant up against him to win long crossballs - but Paul gave him nowt. One small moan: some of his younger, less confident teammates will react better to encouraging words rather than carping. That said, Paul continues to inspire by his example.

September 2006 vs Dunfermline:
    Captain Fantastic once again. Quite wonderful when powering forward on the overlap and made no mistakes defensively. Occasionally narky with his colleagues, but that's what being a skipper is all about. Links up well with Millar, but occasionally the pair give the impression of being a bit of a clique. Simply has to keep working hard and leading by example.

August 2006 vs Hibs:
    Captain Fantastic. A wonderful wee player with a first-rate attitude. Set up the second and third goals with crosses and continually bombed forward. A great right back but, given the players in this squad, I feel he could do a real job for this team at right of midfield, with Jason Marr or Brian McEwan at right back. On the ball, he reminds me of Danny McGrain. How's that for a compliment?

May 2006 vs Hearts:
    Stricken by cramp late in extra-time, this talented attacking full back displayed great courage by continuing to give 100 per cent while clearly in pain. Didn't get forward as much as he usually does, mainly due to him being against a tough customer in Andrew Driver, who had destroyed Rangers at Murray Park in the cup quarter-finals. But on two or three occasions Paul showed the great skill and blistering pace that has made him a stand-out all season. A great wee player, but Hearts used that "wee" bit to their advantage, aiming a lot of their high balls to his flank. Paul slipped to give away a great chance to Mole in the first half, then the same player easily outjumped him for a free header in the second half. Paul has another season at this level, and it is to be hoped he has a growth spurt of Charlie Mulgrew proportions. Otherwise, he may have to consider a switch to a midfield role.

April 2006 vs Motherwell:
    I believe young Paul has another year at this level, and he will be practically unstoppable by next season. Simply never stops surging down the right whenever Celtic have possession on that flank. Not his most productive afternoon, but played a key role in forcing Motherwell back towards their own goal. Wonderful ball control and a tireless runner. Just needs to grow and fill out a bit.

April 2006 vs Kilmarnock:
    Imagine if Danny McGrain had been able to shoot and score goals! Well, here's what he might have looked like. OK, the bold Daniel Fergus is a legend but this swashbuckling right back seems able to go past players at will. Very diligent in his defending, too. Scored a great goal and could have had two or three more. Man of the match by a mile.

March 2006 vs Livingston:
    Looked set for another McGrain-esque marauding performance from right back until McGowan's injury pushed him into midfield. Was hacked time and again, yet still kept trying to beat his man. Messed up one chance, then came close with a great shot. A class act. Looked a bit dazed after being taken off with 10 minutes to go.

November 2005 vs Queen of South:
    What a wonderful performance by this talented right back. Surged forward time after time, showing control, pace and intelligence. Put in some great crosses and hit some impressive 40 and 50-yard cross-field passes. Linked up extremely well with Ferry. Very rarely gives the ball away. Still got a bit of growing and filling out to do but this lad has a real chance. A joy to watch today.

October 2005 vs Kilmarnock:
    One of the younger lads, he looked smaller and slighter than most of the opposition. But after a quiet first half hour he came more and more into the game and did some tremendous work on the overlap. A natural right back with plenty of skill and a big heart. Now he needs to work on that physique.

September 2005 vs Aberdeen:
    Skinny right back with tons of composure and determination. A fearless tackler as well. Rarely wasted a ball. One to watch, but will certainly need a couple of years to develop physically. Steak, eggs and one pint of Guinness every two days for you, m'lad. Just the one, mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Badabing wrote: »
    Im impressed with the new digital advertisement hoarding around the pitch

makes the stadium more modern.

+1

So is Caddis the new Nakamura? ;):D

Have to agree Caddis was excellent tonight. I expect we'll be seeing plenty of him in the coming season. I like him in that midfield role.

His run and cross for McGowan when McGowan hit the crossbar was really superb.

JVoH appoached by Hamburg - £7m :eek::
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1042792/Hamburg-ready-Celtic-star-Jan-Birmingham-rich-Balde.html

£7m is serious dough, I'd still be reluctant to see him go unless we've a suitable replacement. Lots of people don't rate him, but to me he was as important upfront for 3-in-a-row as McDonald.

Looks like Bobo will be around for another year also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Expecting 3-0 Sunday and the Huns to draw tomorrow. Strange for us to have a reasonable pre season under GS, its got me slightly worried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The dawn of a new season! With Rangers out of europe already i expect they will certainly be targetting the SPL as their Number 1 priority this year, and should be a strong proposition.

Haven't seen any of the pre-seasons so will get my first look on Sunday. A good win, with a few goals in the bag is the way we want to start to set us up for 4 IN A ROW. C'mon the hoops!

• Advertisement

I think it will be a case of the wounded animal being the most dangerous, I expect a tight game but Rangers to win 2-1.

Celtic to win 2-0 hopefully.

HT Falkirk 0 - 0 Rangers

It would be ok to stay so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PauloMN wrote: »
    What's this? A Celtic thread? Didn't we have one of these before, and someone renamed it even though it was - I'd say - 90%+ Celtic discussion?

Whoever named this one got it wrong anyway, as the club was never named Glasgow Celtic link
    whilst outside Scotland they are often (incorrectly) referred to as Glasgow Celtic

FT Falkirk 0 - 1 Rangers

I thought the point of this thread was so that we didnt talk about Rangers.......;)

We were lucky today, Falkirk missed penalty, ouplayed us, and we managed to pick up a goal on the break.

• Advertisement

Hey,in our thread we can do whatever we want and mention whoever we want:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

your a Celtic fan now Delija... Celtic/Man utd & Red Star what a mix!

He supports EVERYONE!
    Except Rangers and Liverpool :D

You forgot to mention Olympiacos

Eirebear wrote: »
    He supports EVERYONE!
    Except Rangers and Liverpool :D

First sentence:not true
    second sentence:true

I support my red Star and thats the only club for me,the true one i support,but as i said from foreign teams there are Celtic and United i like and of course i support our Brothers from Greece we have brotherhood with for more than 20 years

I remember Celtic were linked with Saviola and Quaresma a few years ago. Peter Lawwell confirmed that Barca agreed to sell both players to Celtic but both players turned it down.

Feckin' Setanta.... is this what I pay a sub for? :mad::mad::mad:

Bad as listening to uber-hun Scott Booth is, no coverage at all is in fact worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I see now Celtic won 1-0 after penalty kick,how they played,not so good it seems?

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    It will be if Hartley's filling the most influential role in the team and Robson's playing wide right. Thankfully Naka has to come back and Crosas is exactly the type of player we need.

Brown was good today. McGeady made a few good runs, linking up with teammates.

McGeady - Brown - Crosas - Naka

Loads of potential for good football with that midfield. Just think of Celtic playing with Donati on form and Naka in the team (Celtic 5-0 Hearts). The football is excellent. Hopefully Crosas is a success because Donati doesn't perform like that too often.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement