Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

One thing that annoys me is the free kick in the first place. It should never have been it totally changed the game. The way villareal were playing tho it was only a matter of time. Having said that thought boruc was brilliant. One small mistake in his positioning for the free kick undone us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

MREGAN wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me is the free kick in the first place. It should never have been it totally changed the game. The way villareal were playing tho it was only a matter of time. Having said that thought boruc was brilliant. One small mistake in his positioning for the free kick undone us.

Actually I cannot fault Boruc for the goal. The wall did not do it's job, if they jumped the ball would have rebounded off them. The amount of times you see a player attempt to put the ball on the deck to go under a jumping wall is tiny. I know Alan Thompson done it against Liverpool in the UEFA cup run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

MREGAN wrote: »

Dear me how can you complain about the free kick the guy has probably just been watching how many Nakamura gets for Celtic just like that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Dear me how can you complain about the free kick the guy has probably just been watching how many Nakamura gets for Celtic just like that :p

We thoroughly deserved to lose (thanks to Strachan's usual ineptitude), no complaints (apart from wanting Strachan out).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

FT Celtic 4 - 0 Hamilton

• Advertisement

Nice win today, now for St Mirren to take something off Rangers tomorrow

I doubt that...

Anyway,its not going so bad in the league so far although that loss against Rangers still heart....I think its gonna be forgot after we beat them on Ibrox:D

I am dissapointed a bit with CL performance but anyway its better to fight for 3rd place and try to make something bigger in UEFA Cup than to get 2nd place and get eliminated in next round.I am not saying 3rd place is better than playing in top 16 but in this situation it offers more chances for Celtic to make something in Europe.Anyway they blew up in these 2 rounds so expectations for next round are probably down to 0% so they should just fight for the 3rd place and win over Aaalborg will be enough for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

How about all 3 points. ;) 1-0 win for St Mirren.

The bhoys are top of the league again on goal difference. Great goal that won the game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I doubt that...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Love it.

• Advertisement

:):):)

Would have to be McGinn as well :)

Jesus i thought St.Mirren is not capable to get even a draw but to win???? Sheesh what a great score:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I see Dermot Desmond is getting cosy with the Tories.

That 'article' is a really pathetic attempt at spin.

You guys are laughable. The Celtic support in Ireland is not a recent phenomenon. Passive goodwill involved the fortnightly trip from Dublin to Belfast then ferry to Stranraer and then a bus on the long rural road to Glasgow? The love of English teams is not recent either and predates the EPL.

I do not think anybody can stop a person buying shares in a PLC and once bought the PLC has no control over what said person does with their money.

Why don't you just link to the original article rather than that guff on some guys chipped shoulder website?

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=36494-qqqx=1.asp

That 'article' is a really pathetic attempt at spin.

You guys are laughable. The Celtic support in Ireland is not a recent phenomenon. Passive goodwill involved the fortnightly trip from Dublin to Belfast then ferry to Stranraer and then a bus on the long rural road to Glasgow? The love of English teams is not recent either and predates the EPL.

I do not think anybody can stop a person buying shares in a PLC and once bought the PLC has no control over what said person does with their money.

Why don't you just link to the original article rather than that guff on some guys chipped shoulder website?

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=36494-qqqx=1.asp

To borrow some of your language, that's a laughably pathetic defence. The post puts your club owner's doings in football context, as the original article only barely mentions Celtic. Clearly not comfortable reading for you.
    You can go on a nostalgia trip all you want about Dublin 'Bhoys', but I've been around long enough to know that people involved in all that Stranraer palaver were rare indeed. There may have been support, but it was nothing like the greenwashing that exists today. We were happy to see Celtic do ok, because they had some Irish connection. We weren't obsessed with them. Much healthier, IMO.

Celtic back at the top - happy days!

V surprised that Rangers lost to St Mirren today though I was reading somewhere that they had 24 attempts on goal - that's an incredible amount of shots.

SectionF wrote: »
    To borrow some of your language, that's a laughably pathetic defence. The post puts your club owner's doings in football context, as the original article only barely mentions Celtic. Clearly not comfortable reading for you.
    You can go on a nostalgia trip all you want about Dublin 'Bhoys', but I've been around long enough to know that people involved in all that Stranraer palaver were rare indeed. There may have been support, but it was nothing like the greenwashing that exists today. We were happy to see Celtic do ok, because they had some Irish connection. We weren't obsessed with them. Much healthier, IMO.

Again, you are deluded. I defend nothing in what some shareholder does with his own cash. In fact, I am more pissed off that Celtic appointed a war monger as Chairman than this non event.

You talked about passive goodwill when it was not like that years ago, well before the EPL. Celtic always had a lot of people who travelled over from Ireland to attend games. You are pissed off about that but I cannot help that and neither can I instruct a shareholder of Celtic not to give some of his money to the Tories.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I see Dermot Desmond is getting cosy with the Tories.

Wow. Tell us some more interesting stuff.

..%5C..%5Cimages%5Cscience_image%5Ccommonscience_image%5Cyawn.gif

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wow. Tell us some more interesting stuff.

..%5C..%5Cimages%5Cscience_image%5Ccommonscience_image%5Cyawn.gif

You think a major shareholder of Celtic doing political business with the leader of a unionist party is not interesting?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You think a major shareholder of Celtic doing political business with the leader of a unionist party is not interesting?

No, couldn't care less. It's his business who he gives his money to.

Do you think it's interesting?

• Advertisement

Do you think it's interesting?
    Yes I do.

It's always interesting when money and power bring together opposing values.

I don't subscribe to the 'Oh, but he's just the owner' school of football fandom currently prevalent in mainland UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

'Unionist party'? The Tories are a british political party, it goes without saying they are unionist. Just like labour, Lib dem etc. They are also Nationalist, as britain is their Nation. Celtic are a british club, so Britain is their Nation too, and they are part of the union. Why does it matter that their chairman supports the Tories? I'm also assuming you mean unionist in the context of Scottish nationalism not Irish nationalism, as Celtic are british. His political views about Scotland remaining part of Britain, is none of Celtics fans business tbh. Just like its none of their business what he has for breakfast.

If your 'unionist' remark was about Irish unionism though, well, I don't think I'd bother with a response. Celtic is a football club, not a political entity. It may be supported as one by some people, but its still just a football club.

Yes I do.

It's always interesting when money and power bring together opposing values.

I don't subscribe to the 'Oh, but he's just the owner' school of football fandom currently prevalent in mainland UK.

I honestly don't see what's interesting about Desmond giving a political party a donation. People with money do it all the time. If he gave money to the BNP or the DUP or anyone as abhorrent as those, it might raise an eyebrow with me, but the Tories? I can't think of anything to say except "so what"?

What are the opposing values in the situation as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Rich guy with British business interests gives money to British party of the rich shocker. :eek:

As a DubinGlasgow says, Reid's appointment is of far more concern to Celtic fans than what DD does, legally, with his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Rich guy with British business interests gives money to British party of the rich shocker. :eek:

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Especially in the current climate where Labour struggle to get a vote in their most hardened areas of support.

JimiTime wrote: »
    It may be supported as one by some people, but its still just a football club.

No it's not, it never has been and (hopefully) never will be.

I could give you many examples of how it's not through our cross community work, charity work, anti-alcohol and drug initiatives etc... but I get the impression that you've your mind made up already.

As a DubinGlasgow says, Reid's appointment is of far more concern to Celtic fans than what DD does, legally, with his money.

I too would back that statement.

No it's not, it never has been and (hopefully) never will be.

I could give you many examples of how it's not through our cross community work, charity work, anti-alcohol and drug initiatives etc... but I get the impression that you've your mind made up already.

I think your taking his comments the wrong way here.

To Desmond, Celtic are a business, he may have supported the team and all the rest but they are still a "Just" a football club and he will keep his politics and ideals seperate.

Yes they do a lot in the community, as do Rangers and many other clubs in the UK. But that isnt what the poster was talking about in this case.

Question put down today in the Dail by Deputy Alan Shatter:

"To ask the Minister for Foreign Affairs if his attention has been drawn to the fact that offensive anti-Irish songs were sung by supporters of Glasgow Rangers Football Club attending the match that took place between Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers on 31 August 2008 and that the singing of such songs is a regular event and has caused both fear and concern to Irish residents and their children who on occasion visit Glasgow for such football matches; if he will take an initiative with the relevant authorities in Scotland in the interest of Irish/Scottish relations to bring this behaviour to an end; and if he will make a statement on the matter"

Question number 55 if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/o...s/pq091008.pdf

• Advertisement

Maybe, since he lives and matters in the 'real' world (or has that changed since the financial meltdown), mere rich bloke Dermot might have a word with mere representative-of-rich-blokes David.

Question put down today in the Dail by Deputy Alan Shatter:

"To ask the Minister for Foreign Affairs if his attention has been drawn to the fact that offensive anti-Irish songs were sung by supporters of Glasgow Rangers Football Club attending the match that took place between Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers on 31 August 2008 and that the singing of such songs is a regular event and has caused both fear and concern to Irish residents and their children who on occasion visit Glasgow for such football matches; if he will take an initiative with the relevant authorities in Scotland in the interest of Irish/Scottish relations to bring this behaviour to an end; and if he will make a statement on the matter"

Question number 55 if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/o...s/pq091008.pdf
    Why do Irish people go to Glasgow to be offended? If Glasgow and Glaswegians (or one half of them) are so vile, surely they should stay at home? Last time I checked, there are no famine-celebrating songs sung at League of Ireland grounds.

Why do Irish people go to Glasgow to be offended? If Glasgow and Glaswegians (or one half of them) are so vile, surely they should stay at home? Last time I checked, there are no famine-celebrating songs sung at League of Ireland grounds.

I don't even know where to start on that... that's the same as saying why do black people come to Europe to be racially abused? Because they know they're going to be abused so they should stay in Africa.

You are blaming the victims for the prejudice and racism of others.

Racism is racism no matter what your anti-Celtic prejudice tells you. If this was happening the other way around I would be on here condemning it strongly. All forms of racism and religious sectarianism should be roundly condemned by all, not excused like you are doing.

...and for the record both Tolka Park and the Brandywell have borne witness to the Famine Song in the last couple of months.

Personally if i was paying taxes in Ireland these days i'd be pretty annoyed that one of my politicians was wasting time over this.

FACT: One verse of this song is disgusting, racist and just plain wrong
    FACT: Only the chorus has ever been sung at Ibrox, or at any other Rangers game.

As someone with strong Irish roots personally, i find myself continually offended by the "Plastic Paddies" who populate Glasgow.
    I find it hard to take when i go home to Donegal, visit my parents and find out that my 14 year old brother who was born and bred in Donegal has had a bottle thrown at him in the street for being a "Dirty Orange Bastard".

Who threw this bottle? A slimy wee ned from Glasgow. Sorry, a slimy wee ned from Glasgow who the Irish Government seem to want to make their own.

So if this the kind of population that the Irish would like to identify with, then go ahead and have them.

Glasgow will be at least 50% nicer without them.

Now we just need to find a way of getting rid of the scumbags on the opposite side.

I don't even know where to start on that... that's the same as saying why do black people come to Europe to be racially abused? Because they know they're going to be abused so they should stay in Africa.
    Surely you are not seriously equating the two.
    Black people come to Europe generally because they have no choice, as did Irish emigrants to Scotland historically. But Irish people going to Glasgow to support a foreign football team are hardly in the same boat. If they don't like what they hear, they don't have to go. And it's questionable why they go and whether they should go in the first place. Certainly, they should have no claim on our sympathies. As has been said by some Celtic supporters already in this tread, Celtic is a business. If so, aren't its fans are merely consumers?
    ...and for the record both Tolka Park and the Brandywell have borne witness to the Famine Song in the last couple of months.
    I assume you're referring to Linfield, but don't want to spell that out, because as we all know, as Rangers wannabees they are part of the same dsyfunctional Old Firm nonsense. Sectarianism in Irish football is a pale shadow of Scottish bigotry.

Surely you are not seriously equating the two.
    Black people come to Europe generally because they have no choice, as did Irish emigrants to Scotland historically. But Irish people going to Glasgow to support a foreign football team are hardly in the same boat. If they don't like what they hear, they don't have to go. And it's questionable why they go and whether they should go in the first place. Certainly, they should have no claim on our sympathies. As has been said by some Celtic supporters already in this tread, Celtic is a business. If so, aren't its fans are merely consumers?

You think it's okay for Irish people visiting Scotland to get that abuse then??? By that logic then you think it's okay to racially abuse black people in Europe who are tourists? After all if they "don't like what they hear, they don't have to go. And it's questionable why they go and whether they should go in the first place. Certainly, they should have no claim on our sympathies."

Do you honestly realise what you're saying?
    Sectarianism in Irish football is a pale shadow of Scottish bigotry.

But still enough for Shels fans and Linfield fans to sing a vile racist song. Mick Neville would tell you that he got plenty of sectarian abuse over the years in the LoI.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Personally if i was paying taxes in Ireland these days i'd be pretty annoyed that one of my politicians was wasting time over this.

FACT: Only the chorus has ever been sung at Ibrox, or at any other Rangers game.

As someone with strong Irish roots personally, i find myself continually offended by the "Plastic Paddies" who populate Glasgow.
    I find it hard to take when i go home to Donegal, visit my parents and find out that my 14 year old brother who was born and bred in Donegal has had a bottle thrown at him in the street for being a "Dirty Orange Bastard".

Who threw this bottle? A slimy wee ned from Glasgow. Sorry, a slimy wee ned from Glasgow who the Irish Government seem to want to make their own.

So if this the kind of population that the Irish would like to identify with, then go ahead and have them.

Now we just need to find a way of getting rid of the scumbags on the opposite side.

Eirebear,

As an Irish tax payer, I'm delighted that our politicians are getting involved in this. I'm not delighted that they have had to get involved in this, but the fact of the matter is that this issue is not being dealt with in Scotland by the relevant authorities - the SFA, the SPL, Nil By Mouth, Rangers FC and the British Government. Certain sections of the media are making the problem worse, like the recent Record (spit spit) article telling people offended by the racist song that maybe they should go home.

I'm sick to the teeth of Rangers fans only countering this issue with the "well you did this to me, you're as bad" line. Celtic are NOT another side of the same coin here, and anyone who opens their eyes and ears and sees the culture of the two clubs will know exactly what I mean.

If Irish politicians and the Irish media have to get involved to show this issue for what it is rather than the "banter" it's portrayed as by the general Scottish media, then so be it.

This stuff should not be sung at football matches. We're living in multi-cultural societies now and our children need to be brought up understanding those societies and the different cultures of people, not listening to Rangers fans singing racist crap about Irish people and their decendants.

And it's questionable why they go and whether they should go in the first place.

WTF???? :confused:

So it's questionable as to why I should go to the home ground of the team I support to watch them play football?

Tell you what, I've read some crap on here, but that's right up there with the best of it.

I suppose you think Neil Lennon shouldn't be out and about in Glasgow. Might be his own fault for getting knocked out by two spineless arseholes.

Eirebear wrote: »

Everyone should stand up to racism regardless of where it takes place.

A TD is a representative of his/her constituents. I would imagine that Deputy Shatter is doing his job as a public representative by ensuring this matter is brought to the attention of the relevant authorities both here and in Scotland as he was probably asked to do so by a constituent.

The chorus that is sung is inherently racist in itself. As I've already stated tell black people to go back to Africa that slavery is over, tell Jewish people to go back to Israel as the Holocaust is over and see what kind of public outcry there is.

For many years Rangers fans were never challenged in Scotland for their attitudes towards Catholics and/or the Irish. Thankfully that is starting to change but for some reason Rangers fans see themselves "under siege" as a result. For too long sections of society in Scotland have promoted anti-Irish and Catholic intolerance. Racism and sectarianism has no place in sport whether it's Shels fans, Linfield fans, Rangers fans or Celtic fans.

You think it's okay for Irish people visiting Scotland to get that abuse then???
    No. And I didn't say that. I actually think, as any right-thinking person would, that it is disgusting and vile. But the solution is not to put yourself in that situation.

We get all kinds of reasons why Irish people don't support Irish football. One is that the match day experience isn't as great as that in Britain. Well, I'd hardly class having to put up with that abuse as a great match day experience. Unless some people like that kind of atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Eirebear,

As an Irish tax payer, I'm delighted that our politicians are getting involved in this. I'm not delighted that they have had to get involved in this, but the fact of the matter is that this issue is not being dealt with in Scotland by the relevant authorities - the SFA, the SPL, Nil By Mouth, Rangers FC and the British Government. Certain sections of the media are making the problem worse, like the recent Record (spit spit) article telling people offended by the racist song that maybe they should go home.

I'm sick to the teeth of Rangers fans only countering this issue with the "well you did this to me, you're as bad" line. Celtic are NOT another side of the same coin here, and anyone who opens their eyes and ears and sees the culture of the two clubs will know exactly what I mean.

If Irish politicians and the Irish media have to get involved to show this issue for what it is rather than the "banter" it's portrayed as by the general Scottish media, then so be it.

This stuff should not be sung at football matches. We're living in multi-cultural societies now and our children need to be brought up understanding those societies and the different cultures of people, not listening to Rangers fans singing racist crap about Irish people and their decendants.

I notice you did not mention anything about his young brother getting a bottle thrown at him by a wee plastic paddy over here on holiday suppose thats ok is it by the way EB and his brother are my sons. Lets put an end to this myth that celtic fans are little angels yes Rangers have a serious problem trying to get rid of the sectarian element in the fanbase but so do Celtic as someone who has been at both teams study centres to see the work they are doing everyone I spoke to at both clubs admitted they had lots of work to to but were making inroads into the problem. Another thing that annoys me is the fact if you are a rangers fan you are also a dirty orange bastard its pathetic because most gers fans have nothing to do with the orange order

• Advertisement

We get all kinds of reasons why Irish people don't support Irish football. One is that the match day experience isn't as great as that in Britain. Well, I'd hardly class having to put up with that abuse as a great match day experience. Unless some people like that kind of atmosphere.

you are right. they should all go to Dalymount and listen to you lot sing songs about Tony O'Dowds kid brother or Pat Scully and Niall Quinns wives :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

That literally takes the biscuit.... The country is officially in recession and parliamentary questions are being aired in Dail Eireann about a wind up football chant? And from a Fine Gaeler too! Tell me this really didnt happen? Please someone tell me this a wind-up....

I notice you did not mention anything about his young brother getting a bottle thrown at him by a wee plastic paddy over here on holiday suppose thats ok is it by the way EB and his brother are my sons. Lets put an end to this myth that celtic fans are little angels yes Rangers have a serious problem trying to get rid of the sectarian element in the fanbase but so do Celtic as someone who has been at both teams study centres to see the work they are doing everyone I spoke to at both clubs admitted they had lots of work to to but were making inroads into the problem. Another thing that annoys me is the fact if you are a rangers fan you are also a dirty orange bastard its pathetic because most gers fans have nothing to do with the orange order

I didn't mention it, but for you to insinuate that I think it's ok by saying "suppose thats ok is it" is plain out of order. You might want to talk to Eirebear, and ask him about the PMs I've sent him before. Even though I've never met the chap, I respect his views and opinions on here even if I disagree with him sometimes. I'm pretty sure he'll say likewise about me. So, just for the record, I don't think what happened to Eirebear's brother is "ok". I think it's pretty awful infact.

Brewster wrote: »
    That literally takes the biscuit.... The country is officially in recession and parliamentary questions are being aired in Dail Eireann about a wind up football chant? And from a Fine Gaeler too! Tell me this really didnt happen? Please someone tell me this a wind-up....

No. No wind up. Racism is taken pretty seriously in Ireland nowadays. Unlike in Scotland.

This would never have even made page 40 of the papers over here if it had been handled as it should have been in Scotland.

Why is that? Does racism in a country cease as soon as that country goes into recession?

I just don't get this racism is banter tripe that fellas like you come out with.

It is the job of a politician to represent their constituents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

The song is a disgrace, no doubt about it. But personally, I have just stopped giving a crap about what they spew out their mouths at matches. All I am concerned about now is Celtic football club and its pursuit of greatness both on the pitch and off it, and while we are heading in that direction - I have no doubt that we will leave the other lot light years behind in that regard (Manchester / Barcelona / Ossasuna being cases of note).

Here's the response to the PQ:

Minister for Foreign Affairs (Deputy Micheál Martin): I am aware of the concern, and indeed the intimidation, that can arise from slogans and songs during and after Celtic-Rangers matches.

Since its opening in 1998, the Consulate General of Ireland in Edinburgh has maintained a wide-ranging dialogue with the Scottish Government on all relevant issues. In September, for instance, the Consul-General met with senior officials in the Scottish Government to discuss recent incidents of sectarianism. Following from these and other on-going discussions, I am assured that tangible new steps to tackle sectarianism are currently being reviewed by the Scottish Government and I am hopeful that the proposed measures will help to improve the situation. The Consulate General will continue to monitor closely developments in this regard.

He is my TD and I'm personally very happy he brought it up. One of the functions of government is to look after Irish and Irish diaspora abroad and thanks to Shatter they are pressuring the British to sort this out.

The song is a disgrace, no doubt about it. But personally, I have just stopped giving a crap about what they spew out their mouths at matches. All I am concerned about now is Celtic football club and its pursuit of greatness both on the pitch and off it, and while we are heading in that direction - I have no doubt that we will leave the other lot light years behind in that regard (Manchester / Barcelona / Ossasuna being cases of note).

LL, I agree with this for the most part and before this kicked off I was switching off when I heard this song.

My anger is not with the idiots singing it. Couldn't care less about those gob****es. My anger is how it has been handled by officialdom - Rangers FC and the other organisations. Interestingly, the Celtic away support IRA singing was pointed out by certain people at the time (pure coincidence of course) when this all blew up and John Reid came out and completely condemned the chants and the fans chanting them. No ifs, no buts.

Read Bain's statement on the racist singing from Rangers FC fans. Bit of a difference, eh? More of an "ah lads, probably best if yiz don't sing the famine ditty, even though it's only banter, 'cos yiz might be arrested".

LL, I agree with this for the most part and before this kicked off I was switching off when I heard this song.

My anger is not with the idiots singing it. Couldn't care less about those gob****es. My anger is how it has been handled by officialdom - Rangers FC and the other organisations. Interestingly, the Celtic away support IRA singing was pointed out by certain people at the time (pure coincidence of course) when this all blew up and John Reid came out and completely condemned the chants and the fans chanting them. No ifs, no buts.

Read Bain's statement on the racist singing from Rangers FC fans. Bit of a difference, eh? More of an "ah lads, probably best if yiz don't sing the famine ditty, even though it's only banter, 'cos yiz might be arrested".

Rangers have the name and address of the overwhelming majority of supporters that attend each game (because of season tickets). If they were serious about stamping out this racism it could be done instantly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement