Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

JimiTime wrote: »
    Great to hear. I suppose its like the element that blight England fans. Like the ones that were booing Ashley Cole on Saturday. In my ignorance, from the stories I hear, I would have thought I'd be killed if I watched a Rangers match in Glasgow and exposed my Irish accent. Any Rangers fan I've ever met, bar one, have been sound. No anti Irish sentiments etc. However, if I was to take a generic approach, half of the people I see with Celtic shirts in this country are scumbags. If I was to generalise them I could say that 'Celtic fans are scumbags'. But I know thats not the case, its just that there are muppets that think Celtic jerseys make them more Oirish etc. I think Celtic are a great club. Rangers are a great club, with a very dubious history. however, Rangers have moved in the right direction and as I said, it'd be great if everyone put the past behind and moved on.

Jimi, well said. Ill drink to that! We might get back to starting to talk football on this board now! FYI, There are siblings in Scotland where the son might support Rangers and the sister support Celtic. This is a lot more common than you might have realised. To be honest, as an Irish person I would have shared the same views about being fearful of exposing an Irish accent in the blue half of Glasgow etc. However, this couldnt be further from truth. I have lived and experienced this and educated myself to know this is the case. If you respect people, people will have respect for you in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »

I fully acknowledge there are a number of Rangers fans who are anti Irish, no doubt what so ever.

...yet still Irish people choose to follow a team that has a very large % of supporters that hate them???

You don't think that's odd?

Jimi, well said. Ill drink to that! We might get back to starting to talk football on this board now!

It's kind of hard to do that when you follow a soccer team that has picked it's players based on non-football reasons.

...yet still Irish people choose to follow a team that has a very large % of supporters that hate them???

You don't think that's odd?

No Bobby, a number of Rangers fans are anti Irish. I dont doubt this for a second. A number Bobby i.e. some, not a very large % Bobby. Problem is Bobby you dont want to acknowledge this truth and the real life experiences of people in the real world. Peddle a lie often enough and people will listen is it? Im afraid to shatter your dreams on this subject Bobby about the big bad Rangers fans, I would say a majority of Rangers fans dont hate Irish people. Or maybe ive just been lucky the ones Ive met or my pal has met!! This pathetic attitude has obviously being ingrained in you from an early age. Do you think people would seriously want to support a team if they experienced this so called 'hate' all the time from every fan when they went over? Its laughable what your posting.

It's kind of hard to do that when you follow a soccer team that has picked it's players based on non-football reasons.

No Bobby, I am Manchester United fan and am really looking forward to putting Celtic to the sword now. Never was I looking foward to a game as much. The only Rangers game I ever attended was the Uefa Cup final when I received tickets through the UEFA ballot. I have cheered Rangers in the past, as I have cheered Celtic depending on circumstances. There are Irish people like me who can take a reasoned balanced approach to these issues and use our brains to form our own opinions based on personal experience rather than populist nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

In all fairness, I've acknowledged that. And that is a hugely valid point. However, is it not true that Rangers have moved on as a club since then? Would you say they have put their bigotted past behind them, as a CLUB?

In all fairness, I've acknowledged that. And that is a hugely valid point. However, is it not true that Rangers have moved on as a club since then? Would you say they have put their bigotted past behind them, as a CLUB?

I think Jimi that jibe was aimed at me and not you! Yet neither of us follow Rangers. Yet on here, saying something positive about Rangers as an Irish person is forbidden according to some and your automatically assumed to be a fan.......

Nacho Novo has played for Rangers for a number of years. He is a Spanish Roman Catholic. You should google him sometime and see what he says about Rangers supporters. Lorenzo Amoruso was another high profile Catholic player for Rangers, another Rangers hero who was adored by the Rangers legions and is a regular visitor back at Ibrox. As was Jorge Albertz, strangely enough another Catholic! Shock horror! And there only the ones I know about, im sure there are many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

BOBBYS ANGELS

starring.........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63q1olMxTQ
    - On a Shuttle Bus On The Way To The Game In Milan - Clear Shouts Of Sinn Fein/IRA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGsENm9Q4GI
    - Celtic Soccer Crew Well Known Hooligan Element Of Celtic Football Club In London Singing many Pro-IRA Songs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4f2Ezm6cc
    - The Wolfetones (A Pro-IRA Band) sing at Celtic Park

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6zce01Zd4k
    - Shebeen (Pro-IRA Band) lead singer is wearing a Celtic Top

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe5k2B4A4hg
    - The So Called "Greatest Celtic Band In The World" Clear chants of SinnFein/IRA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnawLEvWIBM
    - "Up the IRA" and FTQ chants

www.youtube.com/watch?v=khiRtJK6w8Y
    - Celtic fans singing a song about joining the IRA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsliBaff1w
    - Celtic fans calling Rangers fans 'huns' in huge number at Celtic Park during an old firm game

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3xyMxf5AE
    - Gattuso being called a "Hun B******" by bile-spouting hate-filled Celtic fans

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZUqIV0ZEQ
    - "Dirty Orange Bastards" references

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtKuFAt6vk
    - Disrupting minutes silence for 9/11

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccOTgubZe2o
    - IRA chants and singing Soldiers Song (referring to IRA) in public square in Milan

- More "IRA" add-ons on the shuttle bus to the San Siro, Milan,

- Celtic Soccer Crew - a hooligan group comprised of Celtic supporters in London singing numerous IRA Songs, including "Say Hello To The Provos" and "PIRA"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhQgykDPcyU
    - IRA folk song being sung Aidan McGinty or something

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdpd-3RJE-E
    - Singing that IRA folk song Aidan something at Pittodrie

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxRukfD3pT8
    - IRA anthem "Roll of Honour" sung at Pittodrie

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzhokY9_jRI
    - Another dodgy song at Pittodrie but needs identification

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvUF7nxKVw
    - Celtic players including John Hartson joining in chants of "IRA!"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGsB1UEo-_I
    - Celtic fans revel in a live performance of PIRA chanting

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-m49T5mfeY
    - "Oo-ah up the 'ra" at Celtic Supporters Party, Manchester

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aDC4OZwMLI
    - Rangers players and manager abused on arrival at Celtic's ground - the only large Glasgow stadium NOT to be rated by UEFA as 5 star!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrjM9zPAEFY
    - Boys of the Od Brigade at Inverness, feat. line "We joined the IRA!"

- Celtic fans party with cries of "IRA"

In summary, both fans have very serious issues within their fan base that need to be addressed, both clubs are taking steps all the time to do this.

However Bobby and people like him, like to put Rangers down by bringing up their discriminatory policies in regards to the religion of potential players, DESIPTE the fact that those policies are in the past

In the same way in the past Celtic encouraged the singing of Wolfe Tones tunes in Celtic Park and had the band perform there on numerous occassions despite them being Pro IRA, an organisation that was at the time regularly murdering people in Ireland and England for decades.

Great things about both clubs, shocking things about both clubs. Both pretty much as bad as the other in regards to bigotry imo.

*note i am unable to check out the above links as i am in work, but i pulled them from another site*

Mr Alan wrote: »

Great things about both clubs, shocking things about both clubs. Both pretty much as bad as the other in regards to bigotry imo.

I think that may be the frustration for certain Celtic fans though. I don't think Celtic ever had a sectarian policy at their club. So saying they are just the same would obviously get under a Celtic supporters skin. However, as you rightly say, its in the past. Wouldn't it be great if it just became a football rivalry instead, and those clinging to those old dark days could leave it be and move on.

Also, in the Milan bus video, it sounds like a minority doing the Sinn Fein/IRA chant. So I think we can safely say that there are idiots on both sides. To talk about 'Celtic fans' being pro IRA is not fair, just as calling 'Rangers fans' Anti-Irish is not fair. Sure, they seem to attract bigots from either side of the divide, but lets not tar them all with the same brush. I have to say, Rangers seem to have the dodgy past more than Celtic do, but at its the past.
    Bobby,
    Does the world still exclude South Africa because of their Aparthaid past? No, because it turned a corner. So lets not use the past as a noose to hang Rangers with neither. What do you reckon? Or do you think Rangers still are a bigotted club? If so, why?

BOBBYS ANGELS

starring.........

- On a Shuttle Bus On The Way To The Game In Milan - Clear Shouts Of Sinn Fein/IRA

- Celtic Soccer Crew Well Known Hooligan Element Of Celtic Football Club In London Singing many Pro-IRA Songs

- The So Called "Greatest Celtic Band In The World" Clear chants of SinnFein/IRA

- Celtic fans calling Rangers fans 'huns' in huge number at Celtic Park during an old firm game

- IRA chants and singing Soldiers Song (referring to IRA) in public square in Milan

- Celtic Soccer Crew - a hooligan group comprised of Celtic supporters in London singing numerous IRA Songs, including "Say Hello To The Provos" and "PIRA"

- Rangers players and manager abused on arrival at Celtic's ground - the only large Glasgow stadium NOT to be rated by UEFA as 5 star!

In summary, both fans have very serious issues within their fan base that need to be addressed, both clubs are taking steps all the time to do this.

However Bobby and people like him, like to put Rangers down by bringing up their discriminatory policies in regards to the religion of potential players, DESIPTE the fact that those policies are in the past

In the same way in the past Celtic encouraged the singing of Wolfe Tones tunes in Celtic Park and had the band perform there on numerous occassions despite them being Pro IRA, an organisation that was at the time regularly murdering people in Ireland and England for decades.

*note i am unable to check out the above links as i am in work, but i pulled them from another site*

Pretty appalling stuff... Enough said....... Although its easy to pull vidoes off the net which would protray Rangers fans in a bad light too. However, I wouldnt dare say because of these vidoes all Celtic fans are pro IRA... Far from it... Unfortunately, for some reason Bobby and his likes cannot admit that the majority of Rangers fans are not indeed anti Irish/anti catholic and are decent law abiding citizens. This is despite the thousands of Gers fans married to Catholics, despite the fact that they worship Catholic players at Ibrox. Paulo in fairness to you, you seem more reasonable, would you share the same views as Bobby that all Rangers fans are anti-Irish? A genuine question. Not anti Celtic now, thats a reasonable assumption to do with footballing rivalry, but anti Irish people who have little or no interest in football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Jimi, well said. Ill drink to that! We might get back to starting to talk football on this board now! FYI, There are siblings in Scotland where the son might support Rangers and the sister support Celtic. This is a lot more common than you might have realised. To be honest, as an Irish person I would have shared the same views about being fearful of exposing an Irish accent in the blue half of Glasgow etc. However, this couldnt be further from truth. I have lived and experienced this and educated myself to know this is the case. If you respect people, people will have respect for you in many cases.

Does'nt just happen in Glasgow Brewster my youngest daughter is a fanatical celtic fan with three brothers and a dad who are fanatical gers fans in fact I have taken her over to parkhead myself a few times because I felt she had the right to see her heroes as much as my boys did(can't say I enjoyed it very much though :P )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If we're getting down to the level of pulling tons of videos of YouTube, let me take the opportunity to balance it out a bit. Like I've said numerous time before, a club cannot control what "fans" do outside the football stadiums. I'd say less than a quarter of those YouTube videos of Celtic fans are within stadiums.

Some recent comments from both clubs:

Celtic (John Reid):
    I would again condemn, without equivocation, the use of any chants or songs which can be interpreted as support for religious or ethnic hatred, or for acts of violence.
    We recognise that there have been reports of elements of inappropriate behaviour at last weekend’s match at Fir Park, and clearly this is something which the Club opposes completely.

We have worked tirelessly to encourage positive support for the Club, we have taken action against individuals in the past when offensive behaviour has arisen and we will continue to treat this matter very seriously.

Here's what Rangers FC (Bain) had to say on the famine ditty:
    Clearly some supporters feel aggrieved that a song they believe to be no more than a tit for tat 'wind up' of Celtic supporters should be singled out in this way and merit the attention of police, governments and anti-racism organisations. In recent times, the absence of sanction or attention directed at any other club supports the contention that this is very much a one-way street. This is despite the best efforts of this Club to highlight such issues in constructive discussion with the relevant authorities.

The Club shares supporters' frustration that offensive and wholly unacceptable songs such as those 'celebrating' the Ibrox disasters or inciting death threats to our players are sung by supporters of other clubs on a regular basis with little or no comment or reprimand from any quarter.
    The Club also believes that the issue of unacceptable conduct and anti-social behaviour at football matches has at times been used by individuals or groups to pursue their own agendas and there have been instances of this in the recent past.

That said, the Club has a duty to ensure the interests of our supporters are protected. It is not in the interests of any supporter to stand accused of racism or sectarianism or face the prospect of being arrested.

That is why the Club took the view that the interests of our supporters would be best served by refraining from singing The Famine Song.

The Club is wholly committed to acting in the interests of our supporters at all times.

We also remain committed to our long-established policy of not condoning any sectarian, racist or anti-social behaviour.

Not condoning is what Rangers FC do. Condemning is what Celtic do.

Bit of a difference in how the two clubs handle the undesireable elements in their support. The reason for this is that in the case of Rangers FC, it's unfortunately not a minority. All Bain does is finger-point at everyone else.

As for YouTube video links, all of these are inside stadiums:

Nazi salute... I mean Red Hand salute... on live TV:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=MTKFFXzXCtY

A "minority" belt out the famine song in Parkhead:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=975ksUA6dqQ&feature=related

Rangers in Europe letting the locals know what they think of the Pope (in a mainly Catholic country of course):
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2uIISSrt4U4

ITV enjoying some more classy 'Gers wit - this time a racist banner against Naka:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=jESq6lxha_U

More Naka:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw4i8GpT7Ls&feature=related

Fenian blood:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFlGZhTfUY&feature=related

Rangers fans "dignified" response to Boruc blessing himself:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=onGa9BuNkwo

Celtic fans got an award last time they were in the UEFA Cup final. Here's what the teddy bears got up to:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=TJIm7dDl1DQ
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=c8zOQjbyI7s&feature=related
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=fsjF5Wcdbf4&feature=related
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=iegz2yHSzHA&feature=related

There's too many more to post. If, like that poster above did and concentrated on videos outside the stadiums, I'd find plenty more. How anyone can say the two clubs are two sides of the same coin is beyond me.

Paulo You read my post I agree with you wholeheartedly about the videos. Its pretty futile stuff. However, where we disagree is the two sides of the one coin lark... Its pretty irrelevant where the events happen, whether at stadium or not. Its pretty pathetic justification for the behaviour in those vidoes. Are you saying these people dont follow Celtic and take an active interest in the club?

I repeat my question earlier to you. Its a yes or no answer. Would you share the same views as Bobby that all Rangers fans are anti-Irish? A genuine question. Not anti Celtic now, thats a reasonable assumption to do with footballing rivalry, but anti Irish people who have little or no interest in football?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Paulo You read my post I agree with you wholeheartedly about the videos. Its pretty futile stuff. However, where we disagree is the two sides of the one coin lark... Its pretty irrelevant where the events happen, whether at stadium or not. Its pretty pathetic justification for the behaviour in those vidoes. Are you saying these people dont follow Celtic and take an active interest in the club?

I totally disagree. Whether these things occur inside or outside a stadium is completely and absolutely relevant.

Lot of the "Celtic" videos are shots from supporters' buses or outside on the street etc.. What happens out in public is a matter for the police. The videos I linked to - excepting the riots - are inside stadiums. It's the duty of the clubs to ensure that people visiting stadiums and paying them money are not subjected to racism and sectarianism.

If you think I'm trying to justify the actions of those Celtic "fans", you are very much mistaken. All through this debate I have made it clear that incidents outside the stadiums are of no concern to me. I don't care what happens outside the grounds. I don't care if people in Celtic jerseys sing "IRA" on the streets. I think they are twats, but I don't care about them. Equally Rangers fans - I couldn't care less if they sing loyalist crap out on the streets etc.. What I do care about is how the clubs react to fan behaviour within the grounds that is deemed to be racist or sectarian. My point all along has been to compare (look at the club statements) how both clubs have handled their respective incidents.
    I repeat my question earlier to you. Its a yes or no answer. Would you share the same views as Bobby that all Rangers fans are anti-Irish? A genuine question. Not anti Celtic now, thats a reasonable assumption to do with footballing rivalry, but anti Irish people who have little or no interest in football?

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Again it's getting away from the point I have been making that not one person has been able to contradict - which is the difference in how the clubs are handling their problem fans.

Anyway in defence of Bobby - he never said all Rangers fans are anti-Irish. He said a large %age of them are. I don't agree with everything Bobby says, and I'm sure he'll say the same about me, but I have to agree with him on that one. When you see the abuse the like of McGeady gets (and wait for poor McCarthy - the traitor ;) ), it's hard not to think that way.

I have to say, it does seem that Rangers are worse. I think Rangers fans have the worse reputations too. I think that there is a certain amount of people who try to be 'balanced' when talking about the Old Firm, but sometimes this can lead to a; if I say Rangers did this and it was awful, I must say that Celtic are no angels neither', when it isn't justified. As I mentioned earlier, if Rangers are causing trouble, the word Celtic usually comes up. Unjustly most of the time. I think the Condemn versus not condone quotes were very good. I do think we have to look at the 2 CLUBS, and in fairness, that Rangers quote about the famine song is definately out of order. It shows tbh, that they still haven't really moved on from their bigotted days. There should be absolutely no toerance of this type of sectarianism. While it may be hard to control, there should be strong words from the clubs 'condemning' it.

Pwould you share the same views as Bobby that all Rangers fans are anti-Irish? A genuine question. Not anti Celtic now, thats a reasonable assumption to do with footballing rivalry, but anti Irish people who have little or no interest in football?

I'll take this argument seriously when you point out where I said this, you've misrepresented what I've said a couple of times now - I can only posit that you are so doing to be intentionally facetious.

I have asked questions as to why have Rangers not signed any Irish internationals in the last 60 years? or why their whole stadium rocks to racist and sectarian songs over the last god knows how many years?

BOBBYS ANGELS

starring.........

Many lies and innacuracies there mate.
    Calling Aidan MacInespie a pro-IRA song??? (Aidan was a GAA man who was murdered by the British Army walking across the border to watch a GAA game, his story is in the media again at the moment.)
    Even our own National Anthem is derided in your list!

Yes 50,000 people singing to an ethnic minority to go home is so far back in the past. Listen out for it next week, you'll hear it, sure as a Shels fan you and crew probably know the words.

You mightn't like the songs but most republican songs are songs of hope, history and remembrance... not sick songs wading knee deep in someone elses blood. Amazing that you posted without checking the contents.:rolleyes:

I see no racism or anti-Protestantism there mate - perhaps you might point it out. My whole point is that the sectarianism and racism which is extremely prevalent at Rangers does not exist to anywhere the same degree at Celtic. Of course we have our idiots who are anti-Protestant, but they're just that, idiots and thankfully there are very few. I have NEVER heard an anti-Protestant comment, never mind a song in Celtic Park. You don't see our stadium rocking to discriminatory racist and sectarian songs as at Ibrox, and other away grounds in Scotland, wherever Rangers visit does - that is my entire point.

One team gets lauded by football's governing bodies, the other gets slated.

Then you have the great Shels fans on here who associate themselves with Rangers to have a go at Celtic fans... how quickly you forget, you had to play them in a foreign country as their fans couldn't be trusted to behave themselves. Amazing that you guys associate yourselves with a club that loathes you just for a childish bit of attention seeking.

No Bobby, I am Manchester United fan and am really looking forward to putting Celtic to the sword now. Never was I looking foward to a game as much.

You will destroy us, we won't destroy your city though.

Man U are in a totally different class to us.

One of the most one sided games I saw was when we beat you 1-0 in the CL two years ago with Naka's wonderful free kick. That you didn't beat us by 4 or 5 that night remains an enigma.

Paulo, the confirmation of your prejudiced views that the majority of Rangers fans are anti Irish/anti catholic means there is no point in debating the issue any longer. Despite all the evidence pointed out to you by myself, your views are so engrained that you cannot see the failings of what you are saying. This is the reason Paulo so many people tar Celtic and Rangers with the same brush and say they are two sides of the one coin, because people like you cannot separate out the decent Rangers fans from the idiots. Its astonishing. This is such an important issue. It must be so hard for you to admit that even 1% of Rangers fans are not irish/anti catholic?

• Advertisement

I have NEVER heard an anti-Protestant comment, never mind a song in Celtic Park. You don't see our stadium rocking to discriminatory racist and sectarian songs as at Ibrox, and other away grounds in Scotland, wherever Rangers visit does - that is my entire point.

Interesting point ok....... I give you....Cheer up Alex McLeish, oh what can it be, to a sad Orange B*****d and a sh**e football team. Song ad naseum at Celtic park on many occasions when McLeish was Rangers manager.

I have NEVER heard an anti-Protestant comment, never mind a song in Celtic Park. You don't see our stadium rocking to discriminatory racist and sectarian songs as at Ibrox, and other away grounds in Scotland, wherever Rangers visit does - that is my entire point.

Interesting point ok....... I give you....Cheer up Alex McLeish, oh what can it be, to a sad Orange B*****d and a sh**e football team. Song ad naseum at Celtic park on many occasions when McLeish was Rangers manager.

The Orange Order is not a religion, it is a discriminatory anti-Catholic organisation.

If they sang "Cheer up Alex McLeish, oh what can it be, to a sad Protestant B*****d and a sh**e football team" then I would agree with you.

I repeat... I have NEVER heard an anti-Protestant comment, never mind a song, in Celtic Park.

Many lies and innacuracies there mate.
    Calling Aidan MacInespie a pro-IRA song??? (Aidan was a GAA man who was murdered by the British Army walking across the border to watch a GAA game, his story is in the media again at the moment.)
    Even our own National Anthem is derided in your list!

Yes 50,000 people singing to an ethnic minority to go home is so far back in the past. Listen out for it next week, you'll hear it, sure as a Shels fan you and crew probably know the words.

You mightn't like the songs but most republican songs are songs of hope, history and remembrance... not sick songs wading knee deep in someone elses blood. Amazing that you posted without checking the contents.:rolleyes:

I see no racism or anti-Protestantism there mate - perhaps you might point it out. My whole point is that the sectarianism and racism which is extremely prevalent at Rangers does not exist to anywhere the same degree at Celtic. Of course we have our idiots who are anti-Protestant, but they're just that, idiots and thankfully there are very few. I have NEVER heard an anti-Protestant comment, never mind a song in Celtic Park. You don't see our stadium rocking to discriminatory racist and sectarian songs as at Ibrox, and other away grounds in Scotland, wherever Rangers visit does - that is my entire point.

One team gets lauded by football's governing bodies, the other gets slated.

Then you have the great Shels fans on here who associate themselves with Rangers to have a go at Celtic fans... how quickly you forget, you had to play them in a foreign country as their fans couldn't be trusted to behave themselves. Amazing that you guys associate yourselves with a club that loathes you just for a childish bit of attention seeking.

First off, where the **** did you gather i'm a Shels fan!??!?:eek::mad::( I'm not.

second of all, i was simply pointing out that although some Rangers fans have issues with irish immigrants in Glasgow...i wouldnt rate this any worse than some Celtic fans being Pro-IRA. T

he songs of hope/rememberence etc that you quote are well and good, but i wouldnt deem "uh ah up the RA" as being that, would you? This was after all the lyric in a song that used to sang all the time at Celtic park (and probably still is to a lesser extent), it was also the lyric sang by a band that has played at Celtic Park, surely that can be deemed the club giving the song a seal of approval?
    I am aware they longer do, but to say that Celtic never lended their support to anything other than football is simply not true imo.

I dont associate myself with Rangers, never have tbh. Couldnt really give a ****e about them.
    Truth be known, when Rangers play Celtic, i'm up for Celtic more than likely, as mates of mine are Celtic fans.
    I just dont like listening to people try and paint Rangers out as being the devil, in comparrison to Celtics "perfect" support.
    Its nonsense, both clubs have idiotic supporters among their ranks who are more interested in religion/nationality than the football.

Just to re-iterate, i have no issues with Celtic or Rangers, and i have never even seen a Shels match :)
    Just an OT point, this thread used to be about football all the time- with a number of Rangers fans posting regularly like Eirebear and O'Donnell and excellent Celtic fans posting (Eirebhoy for example), it was a great thread to read and never/rarely descended into petty sectarian arguments, it was a shining example of how rival fans should be able to interact with eachother on this site. This doesnt seem to be the case anymore, which in my opinion, is very sad.

Good try there Bobby.....

Unfortunately in Celtics fans eyes, Protestant/Orange are the same thing... Nice attempt though!

Why do some Celtic fans refer to Rangers fans as DOB? When in fact the majority of fans are not members of that organisation?

Mr Alan and I are probably representative of the views of many Irish people. Its this whiter than white attitude of the Celtic support that you continue to display. You are so determined you cannot even acknowledge that 'orange' is another word for Protestant in that song. Its amazing logic.

Just an OT point, this thread used to be about football all the time- with a number of Rangers fans posting regularly like Eirebear and O'Donnell and excellent Celtic fans posting (Eirebhoy for example), it was a great thread to read and never/rarely descended into petty sectarian arguments, it was a shining example of how rival fans should be able to interact with eachother on this site. This doesnt seem to be the case anymore, which in my opinion, is very sad.

This coming from the guy who isn't a Celtic supporter, nor a supporter of any SPL side from what I can see and posted a pile of YouTube links to Celtic fans singing 'RA songs? Then complains about how the thread has descended into sectarian arguments? :rolleyes:

Get a grip on yourself FFS.

Brewster - fine, throw the toys out of the pram. I'm tired of discussing this anyway, and instead of you trying to counter the argument in an intelligent way, you just accuse myself and others like Bobby of saying that ALL Rangers fans are this and that. I suggest you read the posts before you accuse myself and others of believing this and that.

My original argument all along still has not been countered. It's irrelevant what me and others think of Rangers or Celtic fans. What is relevant to this discussion is how both clubs are handling the behaviour of their fans. I don't know how many times I have to say it. (Jimitime seemed to get my point and he just came into the discussion). Rangers FC are failing to admit there is even a problem. That, in a nutshell, is why I cannot have any respect for that club. My opinion of the fans is irrelevant, as is yours.

For the record, I have always had time for the input from O'Donnell and Eirebear. And I'd say there's plenty more than 1% of Rangers fans who are sound/not anti-Catholic/not anti-Irish. There.... wasn't that hard to say. :p

Unfortunately in Celtics fans eyes, Protestant/Orange are the same thing... Nice attempt though!

That is so incredibly WAAAYYYY off the mark mate. ****ing WAY off.

I'm so tempted to lose it and take a ban, I really am...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

PauloMN wrote: »

Do any other clubs threads have this sort of garbage? :confused: Anyone on the Arsenal thread telling them to like Tottenham?

This coming from the guy who isn't a Celtic supporter, nor a supporter of any SPL side from what I can see and posted a pile of YouTube links to Celtic fans singing 'RA songs? Then complains about how the thread has descended into sectarian arguments?

This thread had taken a nose dive long before i came in.

I was simply voicing the other side of an argument as opposed to BobbySands (is the user name a hint?) giving his somewhat warped version of the truth, and people eating it up as "ohhh those dirty rangers fans!!"

I'll bow out and just hope this thread can regain some the class it seems to have lost. As i said, this thread used to be better than all the other superthreads on this site, much better. The petty arguments engageged in on other threads were rarely voiced here, now its worse than all the others.

Do any other clubs threads have this sort of garbage? :confused: Anyone on the Arsenal thread telling them to like Tottenham?

Thats the thing though. If Arsenal went away and were involved in a fracas, Spurs would never be brought up. It seems that if there is trouble with Rangers, the word Celtic for some reason is soon to follow. Its a bizarre scenario.

Brewster: From a CLUB perspective, what did you think of the Rangers response to the famine song? It certainly seems like there may be a bit of the old ways lingering around to me.

BTW, sorry for derailing your football talk to discuss this cr@p. Its been educational though, thanks for all the input.

My conclusion, and I'm trying to be fair, is that there are fans on both sides who are football fans, and some who are just sectarian bigots. However, I think Celtic fans have earned alot of respect on their travels, whereas Rangers fans have had the opposite, be it a minority or not, its not happened with Celtic in such a manner. As someone said, Celtic actually getting a reward from UEFA. Fans however, can't really be controlled by a club. However, a club can take steps to prevent and discourage cartain behaviour. Rangers, judging by their lightweight response to the famine song, have come up short in tackling the problem. All in all I thing Rangers the club, have a bit to go in tackling their old sectarian ways, and I think its unfair and unfortunate that when they get into trouble, something about Celtic is usually brought up. At least Rangers got rid of their sectarian policies, now if they just keep going in the right direction....

Thats my 2 cent. Thanks again for the education:)

This coming from the guy who isn't a Celtic supporter, nor a supporter of any SPL side from what I can see and posted a pile of YouTube links to Celtic fans singing 'RA songs? Then complains about how the thread has descended into sectarian arguments? :rolleyes:

Get a grip on yourself FFS.

Brewster - fine, throw the toys out of the pram. I'm tired of discussing this anyway, and instead of you trying to counter the argument in an intelligent way, you just accuse myself and others like Bobby of saying that ALL Rangers fans are this and that. I suggest you read the posts before you accuse myself and others of believing this and that.

My original argument all along still has not been countered. It's irrelevant what me and others think of Rangers or Celtic fans. What is relevant to this discussion is how both clubs are handling the behaviour of their fans. I don't know how many times I have to say it. (Jimitime seemed to get my point and he just came into the discussion). Rangers FC are failing to admit there is even a problem. That, in a nutshell, is why I cannot have any respect for that club. My opinion of the fans is irrelevant, as is yours.

For the record, I have always had time for the input from O'Donnell and Eirebear. And I'd say there's plenty more than 1% of Rangers fans who are sound/not anti-Catholic/not anti-Irish. There.... wasn't that hard to say. :p

Thats fair enough Paulo. I disagree with your statement that Rangers dont even admit there is a problem with some of their fans. Apparently at their AGM last week, most of the topic was on the issue and Sir David Murray was very critical of the fans who behave in an irresponsible manner. So thats just not true. There is only so much the man can do.

All I was looking for was an acknowlegment that it is possible to meet thoroughly decent Rangers fans, you have done this so I am happy to leave it at that. My respect for you as a Celtic fan has also increased.

Dont get a ban Paulo, that wouldnt help! I am a bit lost why I seemed to annoy you so much? Do you believe it is acceptable for Celtic fans to call a Rangers manager, who may or may not be a member of the Orange Order, a sad orange bast**d?

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough Paulo. I disagree with your statement that Rangers dont even admit there is a problem with some of their fans. Apparently at their AGM last week, most of the topic was on the issue and Sir David Murray was very critical of the fans who behave in an irresponsible manner. So thats just not true. There is only so much the man can do.

Read what David Murray said at the AGM. There was no mention of the famine song, or the fact that it is racist, and recognised as such.

They do not admit there is a problem with the song. That is what is getting to people so much. I really don't know what more I can say on this, I've even quoted statements from both clubs to compare how they handle this stuff.
    Brewster wrote:
    Dont get a ban Paulo, that wouldnt help! I am a bit lost why I seemed to annoy you so much? Do you believe it is acceptable for Celtic fans to call a Rangers manager, who may or may not be a member of the Orange Order, a sad orange bast**d?

The OO comment annoyed me I must say. I have great friends who are Protestants, I've been to their weddings, their kids Christenings etc. in their churchs and been welcomed by their families into their homes. I have Protestant friends in the PSNI. Those folk are far removed from the OO and what that organisation stands for. They are far from being the same thing, and that's in the eyes of a Celtic fan.

I don't think it acceptable to call anyone a "sad orange bastard" at a football match. Again, I make the point about Celtic FC's view on that sort of stuff. See the statements above - they condemn it outright. All I want is to see Rangers FC do the same wrt the famine song.

I'll leave it at that, don't want to go any further on this. Roll on the football next week..... :D

Good try there Bobby.....

You are so determined you cannot even acknowledge that 'orange' is another word for Protestant in that song. Its amazing logic.

Stunning ignorance.

Thats the thing though. If Arsenal went away and were involved in a fracas, Spurs would never be brought up. It seems that if there is trouble with Rangers, the word Celtic for some reason is soon to follow. Its a bizarre scenario.

Brewster: From a CLUB perspective, what did you think of the Rangers response to the famine song? It certainly seems like there may be a bit of the old ways lingering around to me.

BTW, sorry for derailing your football talk to discuss this cr@p. Its been educational though, thanks for all the input.

My conclusion, and I'm trying to be fair, is that there are fans on both sides who are football fans, and some who are just sectarian bigots. However, I think Celtic fans have earned alot of respect on their travels, whereas Rangers fans have had the opposite, be it a minority or not, its not happened with Celtic in such a manner. As someone said, Celtic actually getting a reward from UEFA. Fans however, can't really be controlled by a club. However, a club can take steps to prevent and discourage cartain behaviour. Rangers, judging by their lightweight response to the famine song, have come up short in tackling the problem. All in all I thing Rangers the club, have a bit to go in tackling their old sectarian ways, and I think its unfair and unfortunate that when they get into trouble, something about Celtic is usually brought up. At least Rangers got rid of their sectarian policies, now if they just keep going in the right direction....

Thats my 2 cent. Thanks again for the education:)

A very sensible and accurate post.

All I was looking for was an acknowlegment that it is possible to meet thoroughly decent Rangers fans, you have done this so I am happy to leave it at that. My respect for you as a Celtic fan has also increased.

They have the name and address of practically every fan that sings discriminatory songs in their stadium, they could do so much more... if they wanted to.

Stunning ignorance.

Why are you bothering? This is the Celtic section of an Irish forum. He has nothing to to contribute other than whataboutery.

JimiTime summed it up. Huns go beserk as per usual on their travels or sing racist songs and Celtic are analysed. No other clubs are held up as a counter to their rivals like that and I don't see why Celtic should be.

Read what David Murray said at the AGM. There was no mention of the famine song, or the fact that it is racist, and recognised as such.

They do not admit there is a problem with the song. That is what is getting to people so much. I really don't know what more I can say on this, I've even quoted statements from both clubs to compare how they handle this stuff.

The OO comment annoyed me I must say. I have great friends who are Protestants, I've been to their weddings, their kids Christenings etc. in their churchs and been welcomed by their families into their homes. I have Protestant friends in the PSNI. Those folk are far removed from the OO and what that organisation stands for. They are far from being the same thing, and that's in the eyes of a Celtic fan.

I don't think it acceptable to call anyone a "sad orange bastard" at a football match. Again, I make the point about Celtic FC's view on that sort of stuff. See the statements above - they condemn it outright. All I want is to see Rangers FC do the same wrt the famine song.

I'll leave it at that, don't want to go any further on this. Roll on the football next week..... :D

Fair enough Paulo, im quite happy to leave it at that. I understand where you are coming from and you have acknowleged there are many many decent Rangers people out there as my many examples have testified. That was my point from early doors. Hopefully you might get to meet them some day and enjoy a beer with them. A good discussion of views!

They have the name and address of practically every fan that sings discriminatory songs in their stadium, they could do so much more... if they wanted to.

Rangers have handed out lifetime bans to hundreds of bigots who follow them
    But I agree with paul lets get back to football matters:D

Rangers have handed out lifetime bans to hundreds of bigots who follow them
    But I agree with paul lets get back to football matters:D

A good start but there are thousands more still at it.

A good start but there are thousands more still at it.

you are determined to keep it going why dont you just get on with talking about football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

you are determined to keep it going why dont you just get on with talking about football

Not worth the bother, there are certain posters on here who dont bother entering either this thread or the SPL thread while there are football discussions happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

whataboutery.

:D:D Thats possibly the best word i've read in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

No other clubs are held up as a counter to their rivals like that
    Cough.

SectionF wrote: »
    Cough.

not to the same extent - it does happen, but when your pals ran riot in Derry I was pleasently surprised that Rovers weren't mentioned once in the meejia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What exactly is this thread doing in the soccer forum anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

monkey9 wrote: »
    What exactly is this thread doing in the soccer forum anyway?
    Thread? :confused: Or this recent debate?

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Thread? :confused: Or this recent debate?

But it seems to be ongoing! Every time i come in here. I dont really give a **** about Scottish football in general. I just like seeing what fans are saying about their clubs. The Villa thread is decent, i think. But this one is ridiculous.

But it seems to be ongoing! Every time i come in here. I dont really give a **** about Scottish football in general. I just like seeing what fans are saying about their clubs. The Villa thread is decent, i think. But this one is ridiculous.

Then why post on it?

It's only recently.

Then why post on it?

Yeah, valid point. I suppose its like a car crash, i just cant help looking.

• Advertisement

McCourt scored Celtic's only goal for the reserves against a strong Aberdeen team tonight (finished 1-1). Apparently he beat 3 or 4 players before scoring!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement