Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    McCourt scored Celtic's only goal for the reserves against a strong Aberdeen team tonight (finished 1-1). Apparently he beat 3 or 4 players before scoring!

What's all this talk of football??? Racism and sectarianism only in here folks, nothing else to see here. Move along with your football chat. :D

Good he scored, although I'm a bit worried about some of these lads in the reserves and wonder will they ever break through. I know he's only new and has had injury problems, but there's a few others that have been around a while and don't seem to be progressing.

Mizuno and Hutchinson are two examples, but Ferry and McGowan seem to have been around years. I don't often get to see the reserves games on Celtic TV, but are these guys not doing enough to even make the first team bench the odd time?

Would like to see more of Caddis and O'Dea also. Whatever about midfield, our defence is hardly bullet proof enough to be keeping these guys out (aside from Caldwell, who has been nothing short of excellent this season). Still can't believe I'm praising Caldwell :eek:, but fair dues, he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ferry's pretty much been injured since the U19 European Championships a couple of years ago. Same goes for Grant. Ferry was rated as a player with huge potential then. Tonight was the first time he's started in ages.

Mizuno and Hutchinson got unlucky in pre-season by getting injured.

There's just so too players in the squad tbh. One of Maloney or McGeady can't even make the team, never mind Mizuno. and Hutchinson won't be getting a chance while the strikers keep scoring.

McGowan looked good in pre-season. Reminded me of Maloney. Again, too much competition but I think Strachan might let him go anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lads, anyone know how long KDS is down for? It's been down all day with a message about conversion to a different forum software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    Lads, anyone know how long KDS is down for? It's been down all day with a message about conversion to a different forum software.

Awwwww naaaaaawwwww! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Looking forward to the action over the next week; a win in Inverness and Manchester :eek:

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Awwwww naaaaaawwwww! ;)

Not a hun sabotage or anything, is it?? :confused::confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Nah us "evil Huns" are all sitting writing new songs Paul ;):p:D

Not a hun sabotage or anything, is it?? :confused::confused::D

Nah im just worried this new software will mean you need to register to read.

Always gives me a giggle after OF games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Anyone see the Boruc clanger last night! Stop! Another million off price tag!

JVoH out for up to a month:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7674104.stm

:(

Big blow given our lack of quality strikers. The uphill struggle that was going to be the back to back against United is now an even more daunting task.

I hope McDonald, Samaras and Maloney can keep the goals coming (with maybe the odd McGeady/Naka/Brown peach). ;)

Anyway, regardless of the CL, the league is more important. Nervous about ICT away, always a tricky place to go. I'll go for a 1-2 win to Celtic, but a 2-2 draw would not surprise me at all.

• Advertisement

JVoH out for up to a month:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7674104.stm

:(

Big blow given our lack of quality strikers. The uphill struggle that was going to be the back to back against United is now an even more daunting task.
    Samaras out for 3 weeks now. :(:(:( That's us fecked for the Man U game now.

Today's team has Crosas, Brown and Robson in midfield. McGeady, Maloney and McDonald in attack. Probably close to what we'll see against Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Celtic
    • 01 Boruc
    • 05 Caldwell 04 McManus 22 Loovens 03 Naylor
    • 46 McGeady 08 Brown 17 Crosas 19 Robson 07 McDonald
    • 13 Maloney
    Substitutes
    • 21 Brown,
    • 11 Hartley,
    • 12 Wilson,
    • 20 McCourt,
    • 25 Nakamura,
    • 26 Sheridan,
    • 48 O'Dea
    Good chance of Mc Court and O Dea getting a run out if we go a couple of goals up and Strachan wants to save legs for the midweek game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

FT Inverness C.T. 1 - 2 Celtic

Why Rangers game is postponed?

FT Inverness C.T. 1 - 2 Celtic

Why Rangers game is postponed?

Because Eddie Thompson the Dundee Utd Chairman Died during last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Good to see young Cavan native Cillian Sheridan get on for a run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Because Eddie Thompson the Dundee Utd Chairman Died during last week

Ok,thanks,didnt know this....

Samaras out for 3 weeks now. :(:(:( That's us fecked for the Man U game now.

Today's team has Crosas, Brown and Robson in midfield. McGeady, Maloney and McDonald in attack. Probably close to what we'll see against Man Utd.

I hadn't heard a thing about Samaras until I watched the game today, thought I was hearing things when either Crocker or Knobend referred to the fact that we'd be without "the big striker Samaras". Was hoping they'd made a mistake and surely they'd meant JVoH.

How unlucky can you get? :( I'd be surprised if we ship less than 3 goals to Utd, but had hoped between Samaras and JVoH we might sneak one or two back. Can see this being a 3-0 or 4-0 to be honest. Can see it panning out just like the WBA game I'm watching at the mo. :(

Thought we were pretty dire today, some very sloppy passing, giving the ball away, and quite shakey in defence. Thought Maloney, Brown and Caldwell had good games (until Caldwell went off of course - is that another injury?). McDonald seemed a bit lost without a big striker up there with him, he was pretty ineffective. Without a couple of good saves from Boruc, that would have been a draw at least.

Can Naylor actually cross the ball without hitting opposition players?

Can Naylor actually cross the ball without hitting opposition players?

Come on Paul he has that down to an art form ;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

McCourt scored Celtic's only goal for the reserves against a strong Aberdeen team tonight (finished 1-1). Apparently he beat 3 or 4 players before scoring!
    Just after seeing the goal now. Very nice. If he scores a few more like that, Strachan will have to give him a run out in thr 1st team.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1677013/

Pighead wrote: »
    Just after seeing the goal now. Very nice. If he scores a few more like that, Strachan will have to give him a run out in thr 1st team.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1677013/

Apparently he was absolutely worse than useless in that game apart from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

no offence bobbysands but something tells me you'd take great joy in the him failing. perhaps im wrong.

no offence bobbysands but something tells me you'd take great joy in the him failing. perhaps im wrong.

How on earth have you come to that conclusion???

In fairness thats a fantastic strike by the lad by any standards.. With Celtic's injury crisis is there any chance he could face United on Tuesday even as a sub from the bench?

I think the only other threat from Celtic will be from McGeady......

Brewster wrote: »
    With Celtic's injury crisis is there any chance he could face United on Tuesday even as a sub from the bench?

Not a mission. The crisis is upfront, not in midfield.

4-5-1 for Tuesday, McDonald on his own with McGeady and Maloney providing support. I doubt we'll see any Celtic goals to be honest, just hope we can keep the score down to something respectable.

McGowan or Sheridan will be the sub for McDonald.

McGeady nakamura and maloney in midfield, cant see it. I would not be surprised if Aiden McGeady starts in the bench, with Nakamura, maloney, Ro=bson and Brown In Midifield with hartley playing just in fron of the back 4. I expect a very defensive display from celtic. I even think they may man mark Ronaldo.

sylvihno would be great, he really is a quality attacking full back, just wionder how much is left in the legs??

Did anyone hear the runour about Celtic playing in Croker, apparently Dermot desmond is trying to set it up.

im not watching the match if mcgeady doesnt play.

jesus, my spelling tonight is terrible, tired head.

I know how you feel, I love McGeady when he is on form, when he gets the ball and runs it can be magic. God knows what Strachan will do though, He may even consider bringing in Donati.

• Advertisement

wouldnt it be class if he played and really put on a performance.

I would love to see it, But I would bet my house that hartley will play in front of the back 4. Mc Donald will play up front with orders to collapse anytime ferdinand or Vidic come within 5 meters of him. maloney and nakamura are certs in my book. That leaves two spots in midfield for either Robson, Donati or Brown.
    Massimo might just slip in ahead of Robson, could be just what he needs, a big game. He may be better at neutralising Ronaldo than Robson????

wouldnt it be class if he played and really put on a performance.

Any chance you'd expand on your comment re Paddy McCourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Ronaldo isnt playing. Defend defend defend then score in the 89th minute Celtic Win 1-0

bobbysands...i like you as a poster, but when it comes to LOI I have seen you to be patronising to it. my logic was that mccourt failing at parkhead(even in the reserves) would be a sign that even though he was one of the most talented(not exactly best performers) in the LOI, he isn't upto the standard of the SPL.

bobbysands...i like you as a poster, but when it comes to LOI I have seen you to be patronising to it. my logic was that mccourt failing at parkhead(even in the reserves) would be a sign that even though he was one of the most talented(not exactly best performers) in the LOI, he isn't upto the standard of the SPL.

I think the problem with McCourt is that while his talent is definetly up to SPL standards, no one seems quite sure wether his attitude is.

For that reason i can understand it if certain people wouldnt be displeased if he didnt do all that well.

Personally i want him to fail miserably....but i may be biased :D

• Advertisement

See Glenn Roeder said John Kennedy is the best centre half he has ever worked with and it's no surprise AC Milan were preparing a bid before his horror injury a few years ago. News to all of us I think.

Think you might have me wrong pal. Quite enjoy LoI games, would watch them before EPL just hate the attitude of some LoI fans towards Celtic.

As for Shels... I hope they g to the wall!!!;):D

Love to see ex-LoI players do well wherever they go.

There could be a tanking tonight!!!

3-0 to Celtic!

Make that 3-1 then? ;)

Eirebear wrote: »
    Make that 3-1 then? ;)

I'll settle for 3-2 now!

• Advertisement

I'm flicking between the Villarreal game and ours. 4-2 to Villarreal at the moment, was 2-2 for a while there.

CL is gone, but I am getting seriously worried about our ability to quaify for the UEFA Cup. :(

Edit: 4-3 now.

Double edit: 5-3 now.

Much more exciting than the Celtic game. :)

Triple edit: 6-3

Can't believe the stick McGeady's getting on KDS. Didn't misplace a pass all game. If only the rest could have kept the ball as well. It's Strachan's number one issue. I've absolutely no doubt Trap would have been happy with McGeady tonight.

Think you might have me wrong pal. Quite enjoy LoI games, would watch them before EPL just hate the attitude of some LoI fans towards Celtic.

As for Shels... I hope they g to the wall!!!;):D

Love to see ex-LoI players do well wherever they go.

sorry bobby.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Can't believe the stick McGeady's getting on KDS. Didn't misplace a pass all game. If only the rest could have kept the ball as well. It's Strachan's number one issue. I've absolutely no doubt Trap would have been happy with McGeady tonight.
    I thought McGeady did the best he could, with the few crumbs he got, he knocked in a few decent crosses, made a few decent runs and held play up when he had to.

If Celtic fans want to attack a player, they should go for the woeful Brown. I've never seen him play such a sloppy game.

Have to feel sorry for Strachan as well. He's a good coach, probably the best that Celtic can realistically get. And in reality, the likes of Naylor, McDonald and Robson are Championship level players, who are realistically the only players that Celtic can afford/attract. Huge gulf in class compared to Berbs, Rooney and Anderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

That was a woefully despressing performance by Celtic. We just have to admit we can't compete at this level! :( The team is definitely getting worse year on year. The SPL is no yardstick for measuring progression as its full of rubbish teams. If the sum total of our achivements is beating rubbish Rangers to the title, then that says a lot about the ambition (or lack thereof) of this club.
    Celtic were once a great European team, even just a few years back we weren't half bad but we have regressed significantly. Its time for a change of attitude and someone with loftier ambitions for the club to take over. The meek way we threw in the towel last night sickened me tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

ziggy wrote: »
    I'm sorry. but that's a ridiculous comment.

Strachan has won the SPL three times out of three so far. Ok, admittedly his first season in the Champions League was a disaster, but he's had Celtic punching far above their weight in the subsequent two seasons. Two second round appearances in the Champions League for a club like Celtic is a bloody good show in my mind, far more impressive than 3 SPL's in a row.

When Celtic fans do eventually drive Strachan out the door they'll realise just how much Strachan did for them when they're finishing 2nd in the league and are after getting knocked out in the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

For what we had i think it wasn;t as bad a performance as some people are saying, remember we were playing the European Champions, who's first 2 goals that killed us were both offside. We were strong in defence and passed the ball quite well in midfield, considering we had no Samaras or VoH i think we did ok.

If you actually believed Celtic could have got a result or played much better in my opinion you don't have a clue what is going on in modern football. I hoped we played well, not to make a show of ourselves and i think the bhoys did that.

The differnce is simply money, we can't afford to keep up with the rest of the teams in the CL, even though we pack out 60,000 seats every second week we still have no transfer money:confused:

Since our day 1 draw with the mighty Aalborg i have been set on 3rd place an the Uefa Cup, fingers still crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Boruc fined for Old Firm gesture

Boruc has won three titles in a row with Celtic
    Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc has been found guilty of improper conduct by the Scottish FA's disciplinary committee and warned about his future conduct.

Boruc, 28, was photographed gesturing towards Rangers fans during Celtic's Old Firm defeat at Parkhead in August.

And he was fined £500 and severely censured by the SFA review panel at a hearing at Hampden on Thursday.

The Poland international has been at the centre of a series of controversies since signing for Celtic in 2005.

In August 2006, he received a procurator fiscal's caution for breach of the peace as an alternative to prosecution after making gestures towards Rangers fans at Ibrox in February that year.

In March, he was shown a yellow card for making a gesture towards Hibernian fans after Celtic's 2-0 victory at Easter Road.

Then, in April, he wore a "God bless the Pope" t-shirt on the pitch after a 3-2 victory over Rangers.

Most recently, he was dropped from the international squad for alleged off-the-field misbehaviour in August.

Boruc made the latest gesture at Rangers fans after conceding four goals while Celtic's Glasgow rivals ran out comfortable winners at Celtic Park on 31 August.

His case was held over from 16 September in order to allow him to prepare for the following night's Champions League opener against Aalborg.

He was to be given the opportunity to explain his actions.

Boruc's fine is identical to that given to Dundee United goalkeeper and Lukasz Zaluska for gestures his fellow Pole made during a match against Aberdeen last season.

The Celtic goalkeeper has seven working days to appeal the SFA's decision.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement