Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    Boruc fined for Old Firm gesture

Boruc has won three titles in a row with Celtic
    Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc has been found guilty of improper conduct by the Scottish FA's disciplinary committee and warned about his future conduct.

Boruc, 28, was photographed gesturing towards Rangers fans during Celtic's Old Firm defeat at Parkhead in August.

And he was fined £500 and severely censured by the SFA review panel at a hearing at Hampden on Thursday.

The Poland international has been at the centre of a series of controversies since signing for Celtic in 2005.

In August 2006, he received a procurator fiscal's caution for breach of the peace as an alternative to prosecution after making gestures towards Rangers fans at Ibrox in February that year.

In March, he was shown a yellow card for making a gesture towards Hibernian fans after Celtic's 2-0 victory at Easter Road.

Then, in April, he wore a "God bless the Pope" t-shirt on the pitch after a 3-2 victory over Rangers.

Most recently, he was dropped from the international squad for alleged off-the-field misbehaviour in August.

Boruc made the latest gesture at Rangers fans after conceding four goals while Celtic's Glasgow rivals ran out comfortable winners at Celtic Park on 31 August.

His case was held over from 16 September in order to allow him to prepare for the following night's Champions League opener against Aalborg.

He was to be given the opportunity to explain his actions.

Boruc's fine is identical to that given to Dundee United goalkeeper and Lukasz Zaluska for gestures his fellow Pole made during a match against Aberdeen last season.

The Celtic goalkeeper has seven working days to appeal the SFA's decision.

Why would a t-shirt of the pope annoy anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Wouldnt annoy me Bobby! I think he was let off lightly. You cant give the finger to an opposition set of supporters. Hes on his last warning id imagine. Shame about his personality, cos hes a great keeper bar the odd blunder now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Why would a t-shirt of the pope annoy anyone?

I find it hilarious when people are happy to have their (and my) religion used as a way of "winding up" opposition fans.

Boruc is no better than the neds of the street IMHO, i dont particularly care what religion he, or anyone else practices.
    But to use it simply to wind up and have a go at people of other religions, and as little intelligence as him is just a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Whats this about Celtic fans??? If true, it is disgusting thats death threats have been issued against Healy. Talk about paranoia!

Thursday 23 October 2008 18:16

Healy threatened over comments

Northern Ireland record goal scorer David Healy says he is shocked and angry after death threats against him were posted on websites.

It follows comments he made after the World Cup win over San Marino when he said he was glad his `goal famine` was over.

Those remarks are now being seen as a reference to a Rangers fans’ chant titled ‘the famine is over, why don`t you go home?’

The interview has now been posted on YouTube, where Celtic fans have suggested that he is endorsing the Rangers chant, which is regarded as sectarian.

There have even been death threats.

Speaking to UTV on Thursday, Healey says he cannot believe the reaction to his comments.

“I made reference to famine and people have maliciously represented those comments. I am hugely disappointed in this. I am very angry.”

The UTV report on the website has had almost 15,000 hits and the story is also expected to make headlines in a national newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Had a look at the video. He says:

"I'm pleased to score. The famine, the drought, whatever people will call it, is over"

Goal famine isn't a popular phrase amongst footballers so you can understand the paranoid in any support thinking it has some (not so) hidden meaning with all the publicity about the lyrics "the famine is over, why don't you go home" recently.

Anyway, I had a look at the thread on the a Celtic forum which is linked to that video in the statistics. First post says:
    "get some of them silent guns out and shoot that wee orange bastard"

It's the only non-moderated Celtic forum that I know of and all the pro-IRA stuff is allowed so that's where they all hang out. It says more about the guy that wrote that article if he doesn't support Celtic and has an account there because you have to be registered to read.

Anyway, most of the comments in the thread are defending Healy. Just a couple of those:

"nah, having watched the clip, i dont believe he was at it at all.... funny how people leave out the 'drought' bit he said..."

--

"Honestly stop tryin to be offended **** sake.

Do you seriously think a person born and raised in IRELAND went out of his way to spout some piss the huns have been singing? Catch a grip.

He had to publicly appologise for the flute incident, but then he'll turn around and slag the famine while having to return to a Sunderland Team ran by and managed by two Irish men, not to mention a host of Irish players in the squad."

--

"I think he used a football cliche, no more or no less."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

And he was fined £500 and severely censured by the SFA review panel at a hearing at Hampden on Thursday.

£500? I'd pay that to give 7000 huns the finger in one go. That's only around 7p per enraged hun, a veritable bargain in these times of recession. :pac:

Wouldnt annoy me Bobby! I think he was let off lightly. You cant give the finger to an opposition set of supporters. Hes on his last warning id imagine. Shame about his personality, cos hes a great keeper bar the odd blunder now and again.

I agree mate, no way can he give the finger to huns and expect to get away with it.

Eirebear wrote: »
    I find it hilarious when people are happy to have their (and my) religion used as a way of "winding up" opposition fans.

Boruc is no better than the neds of the street IMHO, i dont particularly care what religion he, or anyone else practices.
    But to use it simply to wind up and have a go at people of other religions, and as little intelligence as him is just a bit sad.

Can't see how a picture of the pope would wind anyone up though... unless they had a hatred of Catholics in the first place.

I have no interest in any religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't see how a picture of the pope would wind anyone up though... unless they had a hatred of Catholics in the first place.

You know exactly why he wore it.

Take off the green specs there:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mate, of course they had a hatred of Catholics, some of them because they lack the intelligence to know any better, others because of the "90 minute bigot" effect that an old firm game has on people.

I make absolutely no excuse for that whatsoever, and i find it sad that it came down to this.

I also find it offensive though that Boruc would flaunt his religion in that way and Celtic fans will defend him for "practicing his religion".

You know as well as i do that he done it to wind up the morons in our support, and in all honesty that sums the man up for me.

I do however find the sad people who ran crying to the police because big bad Artur gave us the finger a bit laughable though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Naka possibly returning to Japan in Jan:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2008/1024/1224800294271.html

I think there'll be a lot of changes between now and the end of season. I'm pretty sure McGeady will leave at the end of this season if not in Jan. Strachan will go at the end of the season also I think.

Young Cavan man Cillian Sheridan starts up front for Celtic today!

Best of luck Cillian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Young Cavan man Cillian Sheridan starts up front for Celtic today!

This the 17 or 18 year old lad who came on against Man United mid-week? I don't know anything about him really, anyone able to fill me in a bit? (not really a huge Celtic fan to be honest, but I do keep an eye out for their results and on how any Irish players are getting on).

Also, what do yous make of Naylor? I've heard a few people saying Celtic need a new full back 'cos him and Wilson aren't good enough. I've always liked Naylor whenever I've seen him playing for Celtic, though I'm sure yous have seen him play more than me. Any thoughts/comments/insights on this?! Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Celtic 2 up

Sheridan scores on his debut. Sounds like he is having a good game. McManus scored the 1st

Now 2-1

Publin wrote: »
    This the 17 or 18 year old lad who came on against Man United mid-week? I don't know anything about him really, anyone able to fill me in a bit? (not really a huge Celtic fan to be honest, but I do keep an eye out for their results and on how any Irish players are getting on).

Also, what do yous make of Naylor? I've heard a few people saying Celtic need a new full back 'cos him and Wilson aren't good enough. I've always liked Naylor whenever I've seen him playing for Celtic, though I'm sure yous have seen him play more than me. Any thoughts/comments/insights on this?! Cheers.

Celtic 2-0 up already. Edit 2-1. McManus got the first from a corner, Sheridan got the second, lovely through ball, his pace kept him clear, he rounded the keeper and hit into an empty net. A lovely goal in his seventh appearance, but first league start I think, for Celtic.

He's had a bad time with injuries over the last couple of years and was all set for some run outs during pre-season but got injured again! Good in the air, good touch, strength and pace. Looks like he could be a decent player, we should know more after he gets a few runs. We're in trouble up front at the mo due to injuries so that's why he's getting a run at the moment but I do know he's highly thought of at the club.

Naylor has fallen out of favour with a lot of Celtic fans after an incredible first season. The main reason is that his crossing is atrocious. His pace is minimal as well and he's not the best defensive full back around. I don't think he's as bad as he's made out to be by some. There's talk of Celtic getting a few million for him, if true I'd bite anyone's hand off for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Thanks for that, plenty of info in there, cheers.

All square now :(

3-2 Loovens :)

4-2 Brown :):)

Terrible weather today

img7768lv4.jpg
    w800.png

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Pat McCourt makes his debut first team appearance all 5 mins of it. Thats all he will be getting wonder after a year of this will he think his move was worth while.

MREGAN wrote: »
    Pat McCourt makes his debut first team appearance all 5 mins of it. Thats all he will be getting wonder after a year of this will he think his move was worth while.

Im sure the extra few thousand £'s a week might soften the blow before he heads back to Ireland...

You can hardly have a go at him for signing for a club the size of Celtic while he played for Derry City can you?

• Advertisement

Im sure the extra few thousand £'s a week might soften the blow before he heads back to Ireland...

You can hardly have a go at him for signing for a club the size of Celtic while he played for Derry City can you?

I think he signed a three year deal as well so at the very least he'll be quids in!

Would LOVE to see him succeed though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

he was injured when he moved and missed pre-season so is only getting up to Strachans notoriously high levels of fitness now.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

I am not having a go at him at all. I would do the same I would be happy sitting on a bench for 3 years just to say I am a Celtic Player. But I am not a footballer and any footballer I know would want to be playing rather than saying I am here or there.

If he does do well fair play to him but I watched him through the years and good and all as he was I still dont think he is anywhere near Celtics standards but then again we have lee naylor still playing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I am not having a go at him at all. I would do the same I would be happy sitting on a bench for 3 years just to say I am a Celtic Player. But I am not a footballer and any footballer I know would want to be playing rather than saying I am here or there.

If he does do well fair play to him but I watched him through the years and good and all as he was I still dont think he is anywhere near Celtics standards but then again we have lee naylor still playing for us.

How do you know he's happy sitting on the bench?? Do you think he should have turned Celtic down and said '' oh hold on Gordon I dont think I'm as good as you do, maybe you should sign someone else'' :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think he signed a three year deal as well so at the very least he'll be quids in!

Would HATE to see him succeed though!

:D

Maybe I shouldn't mention the war but...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1028/1225061110725.html

Potential points docking, that's the way to punish clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I wouldn't agree with docking points for that. Fine Rangers yes, ban supporters yes, dock them points no. I would rather Celtic topped the league, and won the league on merit and not get an unfair advantage.

. I would rather Celtic topped the league, and won the league on merit and not get an unfair advantage.

Never gonna happen ;):P

Fines are pointless, absolutely pointless.

Docking points might make even the idiots think twice.

As for unfair advantage, we'll win the league again anyway. ;)

I wouldn't agree with docking points for that. Fine Rangers yes, ban supporters yes, dock them points no. I would rather Celtic topped the league, and won the league on merit and not get an unfair advantage.

Maybe if Rangers had taken some sort of stand against this and taken action against fans it wouldn't come to this.

Whatever happens the huns will happen us as well.

• Advertisement

Very good game last night, bar about the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half. Thought McGeady was motm. He's looking good the last couple of games now, coming inside more and playing the playmakers role. Maloney played well in an unfavored position. Brown played very well again, our player of the year so far imo. And Caldwell and O'Dea bossed at the back. Great to see Naka show some emotion like that. He took a battering leading up to it and it was typical that he got a free kick straight after his booking.

3rd goal was class and all to do with Brown. I think he received the ball 3 times in a 6 or 7 pass sequence and was excellent.

It'll be interesting to see who starts beside Brown on Sunday. Pity Crosas had to get injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Celtic cruising to a 2-0 win here, missed a penalty as well. Hearts down to ten men as a result of the penalty decision which I thought contact happened just outside the box.

Sheridan starting again and working very hard, not getting ball in good positions so it's hard to see how good he really is.

First goal was an absolute peach from Maloney.

16 minutes left.

Paddy McCourt due to get the last couple of minutes, Celtic playing keep ball at the moment.

LOL!!! What a reception he got coming on!!!

A great 2-0 for Celtic!

A great weekend for soccer in Glasgow with Rangers winning handy yesterday as well.:D

ziggy wrote: »

As a Republican there is not a sectarian bone in my body.:)

Sheridan starting again and working very hard, not getting ball in good positions so it's hard to see how good he really is.
    He'll need to improve big time. Easily shouldered off the ball a few times.

That was the best I've seen Hinkel in a long time. He's looking very confident now with a bit more aggression to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Paddy McCourt due to get the last couple of minutes, Celtic playing keep ball at the moment.

LOL!!! What a reception he got coming on!!!

Here's a goal he scored with Celtic reserves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdIgZLX0WK0

Great goal, great skill, one of the reasons why I love the game. I hope he'll cement a place in the first team.

ziggy wrote: »

Or Celtic in Away-Clean-Sheet shocker! :D

0-2 will do nicely thanks. How rubbish were Hearts though, hardly a shot on target.

We need to work on the penalty shooting.

A great weekend for soccer in Glasgow with Rangers winning handy yesterday as well.:D

I'll have a pint of what he's on!

In all honesty i was actually thinking about this today, as much as i would be happy at this stage to see Rangers a good 10 points clear of Rangers, there is also something kind of satisfying about seeing the Old Firm (at this stage anyway) properly dominating the league.

For the last few years people have been talking about the other teams getting stronger, but i honestly believe that was only because the Old Firm teams were getting worse, the standard of the SPL as a whole was as bad as ever.

This season though, both teams seem to be playing some exciting football, a good win against Dundee Utd should open up a 3pt gap again, but i can see this one going right down to the wire again lads.

to see Rangers a good 10 points clear of Rangers

Take off the blue tints Eirebear... :cool: :D at least admit we exist!

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He'll need to improve big time. Easily shouldered off the ball a few times.

That was the best I've seen Hinkel in a long time. He's looking very confident now with a bit more aggression to his game.

Sheridan needs to strengthen up a bit but he made intelligent runs, worked very hard winning a lot of throw ins by pressurising the full backs. His first touch also looked very good but I thought he tried to be too clever at times, sometimes the easy 5 yard ball is the one that unlocks defences. He tried to flick the ball around his marker a couple of times when taking it down and laying it off would probably have been the best option.

He is very highly thought of at Celtic but at the moment he's the fourth or fifth choice striker so when all are fit it will be quite difficult seeing him getting game time.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Take off the blue tints Eirebear... :cool: :D at least admit we exist!

LOL, 10 points behind ourselves...SMITH MUST GO! :mad::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

eirebhoy wrote: »

About time too - he has no more looked a German international of late than I do.

He started well and faded badly, a recurring theme with Strachans signings (Donati, Jarosek, Tommy G, Naylor and Scott Brown spring to mind). The ginger midget seems to sap their confidence.

About time too - he has no more looked a German international of late than I do.

He started well and faded badly, a recurring theme with Strachans signings (Donati, Jarosek, Tommy G, Naylor and Scott Brown spring to mind). The ginger midget seems to sap their confidence.

In fairness, Scott Brown? Have you watched him lately? Much improved over recent weeks, and last season his lack of spark was understandable.

Naylor's performances are down to himself - it's not like he's been asked to do anything differently or play out of position.

Donati and Gravesen I'll give you, not sure what happened with either of them, although Donati seems to be making a mini-comeback. :D I didn't want Jarosik to leave, I thought he could have been a very decent player given the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

Alright guys, I only found out about this site and thread a while ago, great to have a place to talk things celtic as most of my mates support teams in the premiership. Spent the last few days reading over all the old posts, even from the scotttish pl thread u had. Was great to have the opinion of eirebear the rangers fan so I personally thought the old thread was better. Anyway im happy at how things are at the club these days, take a lot of interest in the financial side of things as im a shareholder, peter lowwell has been a great asset to the club, was great to see him snub the advances of arsenal. On the pitch we’re going very strong despite our poor run in Europe but at the end of the day, as much as I hate saying it, clubs like villareal and man united are in a different class technically. Was at the game in old Trafford 2 weeks back, the passing from the home team just came naturally.i then went to the hibs game a few days later and it was the same story but this time it was us who looked like united had just days previous. I think this shows that the standard in our league is too low. But as I say to my mates all celtic can do is beat who’s put in front of them. I always dream of the day we play in an all brittish league or some sort of European league but that’s a discussion for another day. I see the proceeding discussion about the famine song, personally Im not too interested in that hold side of things, I think any song with sectarian/racist content should be banned totally full stop. Not great to hear the celtic fans singing the ‘celtic song’ either. I regard this minority of the crowd as idiots. As we all know celtic fc is a club with irish roots, and proud ones at that. But linking the club with chants such as ‘up the ra’ is against our clubs policy and should be kept separate to football in my opinion. As for the performance of players, boruc, despite a blip is still a world classs keeper. In defence iv never been a fan of Caldwell, although he is having a good season and seems to be improving. When it comes to Europe I think he gets shown up. Mc manus is a real Trojan and id always like to have him in my team. Loovens looks handy enough but only time will tell. Use to go to school with Darren O’Dea, good player and a sound chap, but hes still young and he’ll be going out on loan in January. Sad to see bobo sitting around, his wages are just a burden on the club at this stage so its better he goes now. Our main weakness is at full back in my opinion. Hinkel looks ok but needs to stay fit. Apart from that I think Wilson and Naylor are targeted by the opposition, they just play that ball into the slot between them and the centre backs, hopefully rumours of sylvinho coming in January are true. In midfield im a huge fan of naka, although with only this season left on his contract it might be better to take the reported 7 million being offered in January. Its good to see brown starting to perform, I haven’t been impressed with him since his big money signing, although I know he had troubles at home with his sisters death etc. Mcgeady hasn’t been up to his standard of last year but still think he warrants a starting place. Hartley and robson are spl players in my opinion, but good honest lads to have at the club. Hopefully crosas will be a success, looks technically sound but a bit on the light side. Good to have Maloney back at the club, great goal there against hearts. Up top samaras is doing well, although he annoys me at times. Big fan of hesselink and don’t approve of the abuse hes received. Again I think mc Donald is good in the spl but looks poor in Europe. Sheridan is a big lad and hopefully will turn out to be an important squad player for us. A lot of people seem to have it in for Strachan, im not his biggest fan but if you look at his record for us it is impressive. God ive been waffling on a bit to long now so its time to stop! One question, does anyone know the name of the song or artist of the song they always play at half time in Celtic park, it goes: going home, going down the London road’. Great song but I cant find it anywhere! That’s my essay finished. :rolleyes: critisiscm of my opinions welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

prup prupppp!!! SB67 your resident uber fenian calling.

How we all feelin about the "wearin of the green poppy" by the bhoys?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement