Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Welcome aboard Bmcgov8....and dont worry, you still get my overinflated opinion...sure whats in a thread title eh? :D
    SB67 your resident uber fenian calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

prup prupppp!!! SB67 your resident uber fenian calling.

How we all feelin about the "wearin of the green poppy" by the bhoys?

I dont think this should really be a problem for anyone with a brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Killme00 wrote: »
    I dont think this should really be a problem for anyone with a brain

why not?

I have a problem with it.

are you saying that I am brainless?

why not?

I have a problem with it.

are you saying that I am brainless?

Well, how about you tell us what your problem is with it, then we can maybe have a sensible discussion.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Well, how about you tell us what your problem is with it, then we can maybe have a sensible discussion.

rational - I like that.

I've plenty of problems. Lets start with Celtics asertions that we are supposed to be keeping politics out of football!

Thats a fair enough point, and while i agree that politics should not be part of fotball....did you not start this conversation by introducing yourself as an "uber fenian"?

Thats a fair enough point, and while i agree that politics should not be part of fotball....did you not start this conversation by introducing yourself as an "uber fenian"?

I think that if that statement was prefraced with a "prupp pruppp" then usually it would be seen that it was not to be taken as a serious statement.

p.s. I am not saying that politics should be kept out of football. I was saying that Celtic and being pretty hypocritical by asways saying that politics should be kept out and then pull this "stunt"

I think that if that statement was prefraced with a "prupp pruppp" then usually it would be seen that it was not to be taken as a serious statement.

lol....you'd be surprised around these parts! ;)

Fair enough point though, but if i recall correctly did Celtic not have Charlie and the Bhoys playing before the first game of the season?
    Knowing Charlie personally, i know they are a highly political band.

lol....you'd be surprised around these parts! ;)

Fair enough point though, but if i recall correctly did Celtic not have Charlie and the Bhoys playing before the first game of the season?
    Knowing Charlie personally, i know they are a highly political band.

I have a CD of theirs alright and wouldnt disagree. What songs did they play?

I have a CD of theirs alright and wouldnt disagree. What songs did they play?

I dont know, i wasnt there..for obvious reasons!

I'm sure there was nothing overly republican/nationalist, but at the end of the day they are what they are, and im fairly sure were brought in for that reason....its not like they are the most talented band on the planet! :D

• Advertisement

I dont know, i wasnt there..for obvious reasons!

I'm sure there was nothing overly republican/nationalist, but at the end of the day they are what they are, and im fairly sure were brought in for that reason....its not like they are the most talented band on the planet! :D

they arnt the worst to be fair and have probably played infront of bigger crowds than most bands - they dont just play rebel songs and play a lot of Celtic and traditional Irish songs as well. So yer not really making much of a point unless they were playing political songs - and even if they were it would only go to show that CFC PLC are being even more hypocritical.

Anyway we disgress - back to the forcing of the poppy down "our" throats"

TBH, i dont think Celtic really have much of a choice in the situation.

If they refused they would be villified in the press, by the public and probably by many of their own fans.

So you shove the poppy on your shirt for a few weeks, and get on with it.

Lets face it, many of the fans, players and management staff will have had some kind of connection to someone involved in WWII.

Personally im not a fan of the poppy appeal, but not because of the remembrance part.

It's the political side of it that i dont particularly like.

TBH, i dont think Celtic really have much of a choice in the situation.

If they refused they would be villified in the press, by the public and probably by many of their own fans.

So you shove the poppy on your shirt for a few weeks, and get on with it.

Lets face it, many of the fans, players and management staff will have had some kind of connection to someone involved in WWII.

Personally im not a fan of the poppy appeal, but not because of the remembrance part.

It's the political side of it that i dont particularly like.

its is association with the Troubles, the War of Independence and the current war in Iraq that I have a problem nots its association with WWI and II.

its is association with the Troubles, the War of Independence and the current war in Iraq that I have a problem nots its association with WWI and II.

I understand that, but its still hard for Celtic to do anything about it, at the end of the day...wether people like it or not, they are a UK club.

If they refused there would be hell to pay on Celtic's part.

I understand that, but its still hard for Celtic to do anything about it, at the end of the day...wether people like it or not, they are a UK club.

If they refused there would be hell to pay on Celtic's part.

to true. Can you imagine the abuse if they did - pure and simple its Poppy facism.

What I dont like is that the meaning of the poppy is purposefully twisted to mean one thing when it commemorates another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dreadul decision by the SPL. It would be fantastic if Celtic wore a white poppy instead of being forced to wear the red. Politics and football do mix... when it suits people.

Dreadul decision by the SPL. It would be fantastic if Celtic wore a white poppy instead of being forced to wear the red. Politics and football do mix... when it suits people.

In all honesty i'd rather see all the teams wear a white poppy, but that was never going to happen.

Totally agree with you there

2-2 at Ibrox, sounds like some game in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I wondered how long the poppy issue would take to raise its head on here. ;) Personally, I think it's wrong for the SPL to be organising this. I think the wearing of the poppy is a personal thing, and I don't think any organisation should be trying to get an across-the-board adherence to something like this. I've absolutely no problem with people wearing the poppy I should add - in fact I respect those who choose to wear it - but I think trying to get everyone to wear it actually devalues the idea behind it as some people certainly will be wearing it just to keep the media quiet. That should not be the reason for wearing a poppy.

Many players - regardless of who they play for, their nationality or their religion may feel they don't want to wear one for whatever reason. This idea from the SPL to get every player to wear them puts people under unnecessary pressure. Guarantee the media will have a field day over it in some form.

2-2 at Ibrox, sounds like some game in all honesty.

make that 2-3 - chuckle chuckle chortle!!

Yep 3-2...some friggin game though, could easily be 8 each

Yep 3-2...some friggin game though, could easily be 8 each

where ya watchin it?

where ya watchin it?

Im not mate, its not getting streamed anywhere so im listening to the radio.

I hate the radio.....and Dundee utd.....

Im not mate, its not getting streamed anywhere so im listening to the radio.

I hate the radio.....and Dundee utd.....

I'm not a big fan of either team ;) hence the reason I am watchin boxin!

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of either team ;) hence the reason I am watchin boxin!

lol i might just join you!

Honestly though, Utd seem to have had the measure of us over the past few years, they really are our "bogey" team now.

3-3 Kevin Thomson in the 92nd minute.

We just done a bit of a Celtic there! :D

Draw seems a fair result, sounded like a cracking game and well played to Utd

dont tell me there was a penalty involved?!!

dont tell me there was a penalty involved?!!

Nope, from all accounts a fantastic solo effort from KT.

why is this thread called "Glasgow Celtic" when the name of the club is Celtic??

• Advertisement

A confused Op I think

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well I can't argue with that. To be 2 points up on Rangers now after being humped by them in the first derby is not a bad result. :)

Think I can put my Arabs jersey back in the drawer now. ;)

Obviously haven't seen the game, but Utd really should be doing better in the league overall. Their results against Rangers in the past couple of seasons show they can raise their game, and they're not afraid of playing the big teams. Let's face it, Celtic would be delighted with a draw in Ibrox these days.

Although I do predict a big Celtic win in Ibrox this season. ;):D

At least its not the SPL thread ;)

PauloMN wrote: »

Think I can put my Arabs jersey back in the drawer now. ;)

PauloMN in Orange Jersey Shocker!
    "It's Tangerine" Says Embarrased Poster

A confused Op I think

i'll let it slide then.

is this TA?

is this TA?

Sorry?

PauloMN in Orange Jersey Shocker!
    "It's Tangerine" Says Embarrased Poster

Tut tut... I was thinking of the away one (for minimal exposure to orange)... :D

dundee-united-away.gif

Anyway.... it IS tangerine.... :D

Sorry?

chinese for a Sue Do Nim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

why is this thread called "Glasgow Celtic" when the name of the club is Celtic??

To distinguish it from Donegal Celtic, an Irish football club :P
    It could get very confusing.

I've heard this over the tannoy every time I've been in CP:
    Sure it's a grand old team to play for,
    Sure it's a grand old team be dad,
    When you know the history,
    It's enough to make your heart go sad,
    God bless them.
    We don't care if we win lose or draw,
    Darn the hair do we care,
    For we only know that there's going to be a show,
    And the Glasgow Celtic will be there,
    And the Glasgow Celtic will be there.

I wouldn't get hung up about it. Or poppies.

• Advertisement

Tut tut... I was thinking of the away one (for minimal exposure to orange)... :D

dundee-united-away.gif

Anyway.... it IS tangerine.... :D

I thought you'd have went for the centenary strip from a few years back....that was green. ;)
    chinese for a Sue Do Nim!

Ah ok gotya now

I've heard this over the tannoy every time I've been in CP:

I wouldn't get hung up about it. Or poppies.

:rolleyes:

Darn The Hair.

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Darn The Hair.

It's Sellick speak for "f**k the Rangers" :pac:

Darn The Hair.

its an Old Skoll "WTF"

its an Old Skoll "WTF"

yes, i do spend too much time on "teh internetz"

I hate Dundee too, its an awful kip of a place. I spent a new years there when i lived in Scotland many moons ago.

With regards to the poppy issue, i think that some people are being uber sensitive (sp?). I dont agree with the SPL forcing teams to use it but i also dont think too much should be made of it regardless of opinions on the various war and their dead.

I hate Dundee too, its an awful kip of a place. I spent a new years there when i lived in Scotland many moons ago.

With regards to the poppy issue, i think that some people are being uber sensitive (sp?). I dont agree with the SPL forcing teams to use it but i also dont think too much should be made of it regardless of opinions on the various war and their dead.

Bit of a turnaround from yer first post on the subject :cool:

"but i also dont think too much should be made of it regardless of opinions on the various war and their dead" - that just sounds like ****e talk tbh.

Bit of a turnaround from yer first post on the subject :cool: .

Huh, how is that exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

But they are forcing non-Britons to wear them, including a German, a Japanese and a number of Irish men in Celtics case. Its highly innappropriate to insist that people of other nationalities commerate your war dead, especially if they died fighting their nations.

Thats before we get into what the poppy funds and stands for and how thats an anathema to most Celtic (and Hibs) fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement