Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

But they are forcing non-Britons to wear them, including a German, a Japanese and a number of Irish men in Celtics case. Its highly innappropriate to insist that people of other nationalities commerate your war dead, especially if they died fighting their nations.

I dont agree with anyone being forced to wear it. If anything Naka should be more offended than anyone else. Dont forget that it wasnt just the British soildiers that died during the wars.
    Thats before we get into what the poppy funds and stands for and how thats an anathema to most Celtic (and Hibs) fans.

I do agree with you here but i also think its high time we stopped making a mountain out of a molehill, its only a poopy for godness sake.#

I guess this isnt the place to discuss this either, i'm not really sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone brave enough to make a prediction on tonight? I obviously hope we win, but I think a 1-1 draw would be a real possibility assuming we don't give any sloppy goals away. I think they'll definitely score even with Boruc having a good game, but I think we can also sneak one (or two)?

I really think we need to salvage something from tonight and Villarreal at home to help us take 3rd spot.

Head says 1-1.
    Heart says 2-1 to the hoops.

Get into 'em Celtic!

Nervous as F**k CSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Killme00 wrote: »
    I dont agree with anyone being forced to wear it. If anything Naka should be more offended than anyone else. Dont forget that it wasnt just the British soildiers that died during the wars.

I do agree with you here but i also think its high time we stopped making a mountain out of a molehill, its only a poopy for godness sake.#

I guess this isnt the place to discuss this either, i'm not really sure.

Do you want to try and get off the fence?

You are saying that players shouldn't be forced to wear them but if they object its a mountain out of a molehill?

Its an uneccesary politicisation and polarisation of an already politicised and polarised Scottish game by the SFA. Why isn't this happening in England or Wales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Do you want to try and get off the fence?

You are saying that players shouldn't be forced to wear them but if they object its a mountain out of a molehill?

Its an uneccesary politicisation and polarisation of an already politicised and polarised Scottish game by the SFA. Why isn't this happening in England or Wales?

Good point and the answer is, i dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

im going to stick my head out and say 2-0 home win. ferguson has got to have one mind on bringing united to the emirates on saturday morning, reckon we'll get one from a set piece. saying that its up to us to get set pieces by playing mcgeady. numerous times his crosses are blocked and put out for a corner. getting nervous now tbh, c'mon the hoops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Killme00 wrote: »
    Huh, how is that exactly

because you first said "I dont think this should really be a problem for anyone with a brain" - so first you are saying that it would be brainless if anyone had a problem with it and then you said "I dont agree with anyone being forced to wear it" - I'd call that a turnaround! :rolleyes:

yer not the sharpest tool are you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ah well, the head was right in the end. Pisser in the end when we had held out so long, but honestly would have been happy enough with 1-1 before the game. It was a makeshift team given our injury crisis, and as weakened a team as United was, they still had Rooney, Tevez, Showboater :D and Berbatov on the park.

I hope we can make the UEFA Cup. I think it's a competition we can do much better in than in the CL. I think we tend to let teams like Utd play around us for fear of conceding - I don't think we'd give teams in the UEFA Cup - in general - the same time to play.

We were under the cosh for about 30 mins solid in that second half and a Utd goal was just waiting to happen. Would love to see us being a little bit more offensive in the 2nd half of games like that - we seem to tire quite early on. Was just like the Villarreal away game in how we sat so deep 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

well in the end im not too dissapointed with a draw. strachan set out with a gameplan and in fairness it worked for 83mins. i thought it was ineviatable utd would get one at some stage. despite our great battling abilities i would like to have seen more technical ability, ie: naka or mcgeady. ive never been a fan of wilson but i thought that was the best hes ever played in the hoops. robson was like a trojan, seemed to be everywhere. centre halves seemed inpenitrable. despite his slip at the end i thought my mate darren did well, must have won 5 headers within 2 mins of his introduction. at the end of the day football comes down to money, money comes from TV and in scotland we just cant compete on that side of things. What other team in the world plays in a league as bad as ours and can hold united to a draw. im proud to be a Celtic fan tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If we win in Aalborg and Man Utd win in Villarreal we would go into the final game at home needing to beat Villarreal by 2 to qualify! Wouldn't have thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Just wanted to congratulate Celtic. Thought you guys showed great heart, and in the cold light of day Boruc didnt have that many saves to make throughout the game, 3 or 4 tops despite all the possesion we enjoyed. So a well deserved point.

On a different note, I thought the pitch invader was very disturbing. Its not the first time something like this has happened at Parkhead. I think you need to get your house in order or it will cost you with Uefa.

As it stands, you have an outside chance of qualifying for CL, however defeat in Denmark will mean your out of Europe altogether with the Danes getting a point last night. You will have to end your appalling record in competition to stay alive in Europe. I think you will get a point over there to stay alive in Europe.

Congrats again.

• Advertisement

Brewster wrote: »
    On a different note, I thought the pitch invader was very disturbing. Its not the first time something like this has happened at Parkhead. I think you need to get your house in order or it will cost you with Uefa.

I'd forgotten about that clown actually, but I agree, something needs to be done about idiots like that. Seems to be too easy just to hop the hoarding - I'm not sure if that's something specific to Parkhead or pretty much the same at all grounds. Is it a simple case of adding more security? Who knows, but I agree that UEFA will take a dim view of it, especially after the Dida shenanigans not so long ago.

I wonder do those gob****es realise the danger they are putting the club in when they take it upon themselves to run onto the pitch? :mad:

Clueless idiots Paul... Goaded on by his mates for a dare and full of drink no doubt... Its very hard to stop this sort of behaviour, bit like the singing of certain songs but we wont go there!! It would be harsh on Celtic to be punished just because some idiot ran on pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yep, from what i hear it was certainly a spirited performance from Celtic last night if nothing else.
    I never saw the game so i cant really comment, a good result for you all the same considering the opposition.

SOunds like youve got yourself a cracking prospect in young sheridan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Eirebear wrote: »
    Yep, from what i hear it was certainly a spirited performance from Celtic last night if nothing else.
    I never saw the game so i cant really comment, a good result for you all the same considering the opposition.

SOunds like youve got yourself a cracking prospect in young sheridan too.

Yup young Sheridan loolks as though he could be a player and it was a spirited performance from them though I have to say when we played like that last year to get a result it was anti football in some quarters ;)

I can imagine the irony is not lost on Rangers fans who who were accused of playing anti-football on route to Uefa Cup final last season. Im sure the Celtic fans who were quick to jump on the bandwagen realise now that it was sensible football rather than anti football, much like Celtic played last night and which I commended them for...

I can imagine the irony is not lost on Rangers fans who who were accused of playing anti-football on route to Uefa Cup final last season. Im sure the Celtic fans who were quick to jump on the bandwagen realise now that it was sensible football rather than anti football, much like Celtic played last night and which I commended them for...

I would not hold your breath waiting on them to agree with you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

In fairness Celtic were playing the champions of Europe and probably the best club team in the world, I dont think Rangers came up against anyone quite up to that standard in the UEFA cup

In fairness Celtic were playing the champions of Europe and probably the best club team in the world, I dont think Rangers came up against anyone quite up to that standard in the UEFA cup

In fairness Celtic played with not 4 not 5 or 6 but 7 at times along the back line last night and yes they were playing the champions of europe but the bottom line is they played that way to get a result same as Rangers did last season and they were slated for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Blinkers off please.

Rangers stuck a lot of bodies behind the ball on their way to the UEFA Cup Final last season and Celtic heads vilified them for it.

But when Celtic do it it's ok because of the standard of the opposition? Weak argument, imo.

How far are Celtic going to get by utilising the tactic by the way?

Certainly not a european final anyway.

Des wrote: »
    Blinkers off please.

Rangers stuck a lot of bodies behind the ball on their way to the UEFA Cup Final last season and Celtic heads vilified them for it.

But when Celtic do it it's ok because of the standard of the opposition? Weak argument, imo.

How far are Celtic going to get by utilising the tactic by the way?

Certainly not a european final anyway.

Des I do live in the real world and I am very aware that Celtic have no chance of getting to a European Cup Final, they will finish 3rd in the group and then we will see what style of football they play in the UEFA cup oh and btw Celtic adopted this tactic, wisely imo, when they were defending a lead whereas Rangers last year deployed it from the very start of games.

• Advertisement

Des I do live in the real world and I am very aware that Celtic have no chance of getting to a European Cup Final, they will finish 3rd in the group and then we will see what style of football they play in the UEFA cup oh and btw Celtic adopted this tactic, wisely imo, when they were defending a lead whereas Rangers last year deployed it from the very start of games.

We may have deployed it from the start of games but if my memory serves me right we did reach a European final.
    As far as adopting this tactic wisely goes Smith went with this tatic because of the players he had at his disposal ie he knew Rangers were better in defence
    And you are far from certain at this point to finish third :rolleyes:

We may have deployed it from the start of games but if my memory serves me right we did reach a European final.
    As far as adopting this tactic wisely goes Smith went with this tatic because of the players he had at his disposal ie he knew Rangers were better in defence
    And you are far from certain at this point to finish third :rolleyes:

Agreed, we can still take second place from Villareal with a little help from Man Utd :D

There is absolute no difference in the way Celtic played last night and the way Rangers played last year, Celtic just happened to score a good goal from their one attack! It was Lionel Messi who coined the phrase last season after Barcelona couldnt break down the Rangers defence at Ibrox in a CL. (Opposition not too shabby you'll agree).Premierstone, whether the score was nil nil or 1 nil the tactic is the same, they played a certain way to get a result! On a few occasions the nil nil score line got Rangers through to next round. Its just funny that Rangers ememies used it to berate them and critice them last season, when in fact Walter Smith should have been commended for it. You play to your strenghts, and good defending is part of the game. United couldnt break Celtic down last night, and for this I congratulate Celtic as I did earlier in thread. They deserved their point, and for same reason Rangers deserved to get to Uefa Cup final last year where in turn Zenit deserved to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

jesus it was hardly the most comfortable of viewing was it?? I kept changing the channel to watch other programmes because the time seemed to be standing still when I was watchin the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There is absolute no difference in the way Celtic played last night and the way Rangers played last year, Celtic just happened to score a good goal from their one attack! It was Lionel Messi who coined the phrase last season after Barcelona couldnt break down the Rangers defence at Ibrox in a CL. (Opposition not too shabby you'll agree).Premierstone, whether the score was nil nil or 1 nil the tactic is the same, they played a certain way to get a result! On a few occasions the nil nil score line got Rangers through to next round. Its just funny that Rangers ememies used it to berate them and critice them last season, when in fact Walter Smith should have been commended for it. You play to your strenghts, and good defending is part of the game. United couldnt break Celtic down last night, and for this I congratulate Celtic as I did earlier in thread. They deserved their point, and for same reason Rangers deserved to get to Uefa Cup final last year where in turn Zenit deserved to win.

Are you on some kind of zen like quest? Celtic have played 1 game where they defend a lead and suddenly they are like Rangers who spent their entire campaign last year playing for 0-0's or 1-0's

Eh sorry? What is a zen like quest when its at home?!

Im not even going to start a petty online squable with you over this i.e.. Celtic only played anti-football in one game, while Rangers played it all last season blah blah blah and more blah....... Therefore Celtic are much better than Rangers blah blah... Im more mature than that.

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing with numbers behind the ball, nothing at all. It served Rangers well last season upto a point and it served Celtic well last night.

Good luck to any team who tries to get a result using the resources its got....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In fairness there's a big difference. Rangers only knew how to play as they did. They'd let the opposition have most of the possession even in most of their home games in Europe. Only the very, very best teams in the world would be allowed dominate possession at Celtic park. Although, we'll have to see a bit more of this defensive style with Ireland which to be perfectly honest I'm not happy with. Letting Cyprus have 56% possession in Dublin isn't on imo.

Eirebhoy, as a means to an end Id be quite happy with Ireland taking a cautious approach. I think its prudent. Over time then, and with the development of a couple of players hopefully we can see a more expansive game. By all accounts this has happened with Rangers this year, they seem to be playing a more attractive brand of football with Pedro Mendes key in pulling the strings. I think the emphasis last year in Rangers home games was not to conceed an away goal, something which worked well. This is not anti-football, its sensible football IMHO, it may not be entertaining but football is a results driven business primarily. If you can win playing well, thats an obvious bonus.

On a different note, anyone know why McGeady wasnt playing the other night? Hes a quality player and I think you missed him as an out ball.

On a different note, anyone know why McGeady wasnt playing the other night? Hes a quality player and I think you missed him as an out ball.

Depends who you listen to, or what you read.

Injured in training was the reason given, but another big McGeady/Strachan row of course is what's being read into it! :D

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Depends who you listen to, or what you read.

Injured in training was the reason given, but another big McGeady/Strachan row of course is what's being read into it! :D

Got to say I was surprised he was'nt playing also found it amusing when the commentator on sky said he had "phoned in sick" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Got to say I was surprised he was'nt playing also found it amusing when the commentator on sky said he had "phoned in sick" :confused:

Quite a few folk have commented on that...

My two cents on the poppy debate by the way... I posted this on another website but it stays true for here as well.

It's in response to a question posed about whether people would support a proposed protest against the forced wearing of poppies by Celtic players...

To me this whole protest is not about dishonouring dead people who fought for the British Army. I think it's unhelpful that many people are pushing this as a reason for why the poppy should not be worn.

To me it's about the hypocrisy of the Board, and of our War Criminal Chairman, who exclaim that we must leave our politics at the door. Hypocrites.

To me it's about the SFA deciding some 63 years after the ending of the Second World War to do something to commemorate the needless death of many young men.

To me it's using our players as political pawns. Has anybody thought of the hassle that Paddy McCourt might get for wearing a poppy which is rightly seen as a symbol of British imperialism on this island?
    Has anybody thought that maybe Andreas Hinkel might not feel comfortable being forced to wear a poppy commemorating men who killed countless innocent German people? What about Darren O'Dea? The British Army have a disgraceful record on this island, why should players like Darren help out a PR stunt for Little Englanders? What about all our other players, have they been asked about how they feel promoting an army that is responsible for the deaths of many millions of people throughout the world and continues to invade and further Britains imperialistic goals.

To me it's about raising money for an Army that should be looked after by their own Government but who are not seen as worthy enough by the masters that they serve - why is this? Proceeds from the sale of poppies go towards helping murderers who have pillaged lands across the world, there are no honourable wars that the Brits are fighting in, there are no wars where they are helping to liberate people, it is all for the benefit of Britain and the expense of others... including us. The British war machine is a "legal" gang of murderers, anything that helps promote the idea that this behaviour is acceptable and normal should be resisted.

To me it's about saying No, Murder is not a career choice, joining an invading imperialistic murder gang is not an ideal thing for a young child to do.

For those of you who are not too Republican minded, ask yourself this... are you now happy that the Board have decided that politics actually do have a place in this football club? For years we were told that there was no place. A line has been crossed. No longer can the Board complain about political songs being sung at matches by Celtic fans for this weekend we will be commemorating the largest band of vagabonds and mercenaries ever assembled.

Finally, for those of you supporting the poppy display this weekend, a British historian Mark Curtis claims that Britains foreign policy is responsible for the deaths of Ten Million people worldwide SINCE World War II - I hope you're proud of that and I hope you're proud of the fact that those Ten Million people will be ignored this weekend.

I hope everyone has a quiet moment this weekend to remember their dead, you have that right, but for all the reasons listed above don't make or expect me to do the same.

In all honesty i cant disagree with anything you have said there.

But to that point i have to say i really hope that Celtic fans dont stage a protest, walkout etc.

Because for me that would be disrupting every other person in that stadiums, Celtic fans included, right to have a moments silence to remember their dead.

Wether the majority of Celtic fans like it or not, they are British subjects, and wether they agree with the war in the North of Ireland or not, there is a bigger picture to look at in terms of how they go about things.

But to that point i have to say i really hope that Celtic fans dont stage a protest, walkout etc.

Because for me that would be disrupting every other person in that stadiums, Celtic fans included, right to have a moments silence to remember their dead.

Wether the majority of Celtic fans like it or not, they are British subjects, and wether they agree with the war in the North of Ireland or not, there is a bigger picture to look at in terms of how they go about things.

You come across as a fairly decent fella by the way.

shhhh! Someone might hear you! :p

If Celtic fans, or anyone else for that matter. want to protest this weekend then dont turn up for the game untill ten minutes after the kick off.
    Stay outside the stadium and let others do what they need to do.

Walking out, booing and all the rest just turns the attention onto them and takes other peoples rights away from them.

• Advertisement

I cant agree with your comments Bobby. Your anti-British sentiment comes across loud and clear in your posting. You think no innocent British soldiers ever lost their lives the way you rant on?? The SPL have made a decision, and Celtic as a Scottish Football club should honour that decision. Irish people died in the wars too you know. I think the irony is in the fact that you choose to see it as a symol of British Imperalism. Why is this? Is this a conscious choice you have made to see it this way? I personally see it as a tribute to people who lost their lives, including Irish people. Why cant you see it this way? People will similar views to your own, see the poppy as a symbol of British Imperalism. By doing this, they are politicising the symbol.

I dont know the inns and outs of every player in SPL, but I know there are other Irish players that play in the league. Wearing a poppy is a small "sacrifice" to pay for playing for a British Football team. Celtic should not be treated any differently.

Hands across the divide. It's beautiful. I think I'm going to cry.... :D

This place is gone to pot - I'm gonna come back on derby day. ;)

The SPL have made a decision, and Celtic as a Scottish Football club should honour that decision.

They shouldn't have made that decision. They should make football decisions. Nobody player should have to wear it. I respect those that do and will wear it, but people should not make a big deal of those who choose not to wear it.

Like I said, it's a personal thing, not something that an organisation like the SPL should blanket force on clubs and players. Let's just hope those who wear the poppy respect those who choose not to - and vice versa. I hope the players are not under pressure to wear the jerseys with it on it.

Well said EB you know my feelings on the wearing of the poppy well the red one anyway but there will be celtic fans that want to wear one and should be allowed to do so without any protest from other fans during the game

They shouldn't have made that decision. They should make football decisions. Nobody player should have to wear it. I respect those that do and will wear it, but people should not make a big deal of those who choose not to wear it.

Like I said, it's a personal thing, not something that an organisation like the SPL should blanket force on clubs and players. Let's just hope those who wear the poppy respect those who choose not to - and vice versa. I hope the players are not under pressure to wear the jerseys with it on it.

Paul, I agree with you on the personal choice issue. You or I can choose whether to wear one or not. However, if your orgasition/company decide its policy to wear one I think this should be honoured even though you may not agree with it. Celtic are no different to any other organisation such as Sky, or the BBC. They require their employees to wear a poppy.

• Advertisement

Paul, I agree with you on the personal choice issue. You or I can choose whether to wear one or not. However, if your orgasition/company decide its policy to wear one I think this should be honoured even though you may not agree with it. Celtic are no different to any other organisation such as Sky, or the BBC. They require their employees to wear a poppy.

Poppy Fascism

I would object and refuse to wear one if my company forced everyone to wear one. At what point to you think it is OK to refuse to wear a symbol that is forced onto you?

Politics and football do not mix?

Poppy Fascism

I would object and refuse to wear one if my company forced everyone to wear one. At what point to you think it is OK to refuse to wear a symbol that is forced onto you?

You guys keep missing the point im making? What is political about wearing a poppy? It is only political if you perceive it in this way. Why not view as a simple mark of respect to all those people who died in the war? Irish and British people I might add. That is what Remembrance Sunday is about. Can you not see this? You are way too quick to associate it with some sort of Britishness and take this view, there is no chance Ill been seen to be associated with anything British. Its absolutely pathetic to be honest. You are the folk bringing a political dimension into this. I commend Dr. John Reid for supporting this cause, fair play to the man for standing up to a section of the Celtic support that take such unhealthy views. I was walking down Baggot St today at lunchtime and I saw people displaying the poppy. Id ask you, are they any less Irish (assuming they were Irish) than you and I who choose not to wear one? I would think not....

Poppy Fascism

I agree fully with you politics and football don't mix.
    Why then does your chairman say it's ok for celtic fans to sing "Political songs" ;)

Why not view as a simple mark of respect to all those people who died in the war? Irish and British people I might add. That is what Remembrance Sunday is about.

Why not just have let the players decide if they wanted to display a poppy then? Why did the SPL feel the need to insist that all clubs and players take part?

A lot of people would choose to wear it, but a lot of others would choose not to. What the SPL have done could potentially have a negative effect on the whole poppy thing if the media and others make a big deal of certain players not wearing the poppy, or not being happy to wear it. I think the SPL have cheapened the poppy thing to be perfectly honest with this idea.

The wearing of the poppy is only a mark of respect if you truly want to wear it. If you don't, then the whole idea is cheapened - and the media will have a field day in typical Scottish fashion. Mark my words.

Why not just have let the players decide if they wanted to display a poppy then? Why did the SPL feel the need to insist that all clubs and players take part?

A lot of people would choose to wear it, but a lot of others would choose not to. What the SPL have done could potentially have a negative effect on the whole poppy thing if the media and others make a big deal of certain players not wearing the poppy, or not being happy to wear it. I think the SPL have cheapened the poppy thing to be perfectly honest with this idea.

The wearing of the poppy is only a mark of respect if you truly want to wear it. If you don't, then the whole idea is cheapened - and the media will have a field day in typical Scottish fashion. Mark my words.

Paul, I have no doubt the only reason Irish Celtic supporters have made an issue of this is because of the poppy's perceived association with British Imperalism. I am absolutely certain of this. Its not because of a reluctance to honour the war dead that they would express a reluctance to wear a poppy. I think this is very sad indeed. Its simply a vehicle to express opposition to anything considered remotely British and its pathetic beyond belief. Im not trying to be devisive on this issue, I just feel very strongly about it.

It is strange as a couple of my Celtic supporting work colleagues objected to the forced wearing of the poppy. They are not Irish at all, they are born and bred weegies!

Whether you like it or not, the red poppy represents militarism and supporting 'the troops' in the current wars in Afganistan & Iraq as well as all the imperial wars including the various ones in Africa, Middle East and Ireland.

If it was about remembering the futility and stupidity of war especially the slaughter of WW1 & 2, the SPL would offer the white poppy.

Edit: This is what tomorrow is about http://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/

Paul, I have no doubt the only reason Irish Celtic supporters have made an issue of this is because of the poppy's perceived association with British Imperalism. I am absolutely certain of this. Its not because of a reluctance to honour the war dead that they would express a reluctance to wear a poppy. I think this is very sad indeed. Its simply a vehicle to express opposition to anything considered remotely British and its pathetic beyond belief. Im not trying to be devisive on this issue, I just feel very strongly about it.

Of course there'll be some people who view it purely as a symbol of British imperialism. But there are many other who like myself are not bothered either way about people wearing the poppy, but who object to people being pressured into it by organisations like the SPL. It is simply wrong to pressurise people into something which by its very nature is personal.

I have to take issue with your belief that the only reason Irish Celtic supporters have an issue with it is because they view it as an imperialistic symbol. It's wrong to say that. You have been pretty vocal about blanket assertions on Rangers fans, so don't do the same with regard to Celtic fans.

The issue is not whether wearing poppies is right or wrong. It's not even so much what it stands for. It's definitely about how this is being handled by the SPL with their "we'll make every player wear it" attitude. For the record, if for example the LOI were to try and force all players to wear some symbol remembering the Easter Rising, I'd feel exactly the same.

It is strange as a couple of my Celtic supporting work colleagues objected to the forced wearing of the poppy. They are not Irish at all, they are born and bred weegies!

Whether you like it or not, the red poppy represents militarism and supporting 'the troops' in the current wars in Afganistan & Iraq as well as all the imperial wars including the various ones in Africa, Middle East and Ireland.

If it was about remembering the futility and stupidity of war especially the slaughter of WW1 & 2, the SPL would offer the white poppy.

Edit: This is what tomorrow is about http://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/

Im sure some Glaswegian Celtic fans are more than capable of the odd bit of anti-british sentiment now and again! I would have no issue with the white poppy at all, its a sign of peace. Colour is not important.

Dr. John Reid knew he had no choice but to support the campaign. He knew that Celtic would have been protrayed in a very very bad light should they have chosen to snub the event. Im glad for the sake of humanity and the memory of the brave men who lost their lives in active service that Dr. Reid has done the correct thing.

Of course there'll be some people who view it purely as a symbol of British imperialism. But there are many other who like myself are not bothered either way about people wearing the poppy, but who object to people being pressured into it by organisations like the SPL. It is simply wrong to pressurise people into something which by its very nature is personal.

I have to take issue with your belief that the only reason Irish Celtic supporters have an issue with it is because they view it as an imperialistic symbol. It's wrong to say that. You have been pretty vocal about blanket assertions on Rangers fans, so don't do the same with regard to Celtic fans.

The issue is not whether wearing poppies is right or wrong. It's not even so much what it stands for. It's definitely about how this is being handled by the SPL with their "we'll make every player wear it" attitude. For the record, if for example the LOI were to try and force all players to wear some symbol remembering the Easter Rising, I'd feel exactly the same.

Paul, the statement from the Irish Association of Celtics supporters clubs was very clear. I dont think its an unreasonable assumption to state they would speak for a large number of Irish Celtic fans? However, I agree not all Celtic fans would wish to be associated with this.

Im sure some Glaswegian Celtic fans are more than capable of the odd bit of anti-british sentiment now and again! I would have no issue with the white poppy at all, its a sign of peace. Colour is not important.

Dr. John Reid knew he had no choice but to support the campaign. He knew that Celtic would have been protrayed in a very very bad light should they have chosen to snub the event. Im glad for the sake of humanity and the memory of the brave men who lost their lives in active service that Dr. Reid has done the correct thing.

Colour is all important. Let the people choose what they want to wear. Are you seriously suggesting that British people who are anti war are anti British? :confused::confused:

Reid is a warmonger and it is no great surprse that this supporter of the illegal war in Iraq will insist that all the players should wear the red poppy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement