Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I saw bits of the Celtic game today, but it wasnt a great display. They sort of started off slowly and stayed that way and were lucky not to drop 2 pts. A win is a win though so we'll take it.

Sluggish lack-lustre starts such as this can be expected after winning a title and with the match being at home there was a sort of a party atmosphere. It was not tense, etc, and that is whats needed.

Hopefully the players will get more woken up for the next match.

In terms of personnel changes, there werent any. Gordy seems pleased with some improvements made by some players such as O'Dea so we'll see.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He definitely wants 2 more players. In fact he said last week that they were 9 players short. 6 due to injuries/olympics and the other 3 are signings he hopes to have made. I think we'll see a left back and centre half join before the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I would have Robson in the team ahead of Brown, Robson was outstanding in
    the last 6 or 7 games last season got stuck in around the pitch and takes a great corner and free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Badabing wrote: »
    the last 6 or 7 games last season got stuck in around the pitch and takes a great corner and free kick.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Reckon he's going to be a very important player over the next 2 years.

Felt he should have got to play more of a role last season than he did but maybe the fact that he was hungry from sitting on the bench is exactly why he put in such great performances in the closing stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

foto_304586_CAS.jpg

Good luck Marc!

Supposedly the move was the result of an agreement we had with Celtic for a while, both Quaresma and Saviola refused similar agreements. It looks like I have more reason to like Celtic, as our good relationship is essentially official.

Badabing wrote: »
    He's similar to Stephen Hunt imo. I'd rather better footballers in midfield. His touch is really poor. He regularly loses possession because of a heavy touch. I think and hope Brown will have a great season. For the football to improve a playmaker is needed in beside Brown and Robson aint that.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He's similar to Stephen Hunt imo. I'd rather better footballers in midfield. His touch is really poor. He regularly loses possession because of a heavy touch. I think and hope Brown will have a great season. For the football to improve a playmaker is needed in beside Brown and Robson aint that.

I hope Brown has a great season aswell don't get me wrong but so far he hasn't dominated a game and got stuck in.

He gets too many bookings for stupid things he needs to calm down and learn to choose his passes and runs and when to stay back, obiously that will come from expierence and please god it will happen for him this year.

I think Brown's much more intelligent than given credit for and also knows his limits. He regularly goes a bit mad but I don't think he loses his temper. He was terrific in the champions league against Benfica and Shakhtar at home. He wasn't bad against Spartak either. If anything he needs to take more risks and get forward more.

I think Brown and Crosas could be what Celtic need in the Champ league away from home, we might have to sacrafice Naka or Mcgeady tho by playing Robson or Donati , im sick to death of being beaten easily away in the Champ league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

1-0 in the end, it was said we played like it was a friendly, which was certainly true in the first half. As for the penalty, it was a bit soft I thought but a penalty nonetheless.

Robson didn't impress me today, and he's a player I do like. Brown was a little quiet especially early on. I thought Hartley did well though. Great save from Boruc to keep a clean sheet.

It's early days, I'm not too concerned yet. Remember last season we started with a home draw against Killie, so I'd not read too much into it. One thing that struck me today - and our real weakness today I think - was how poor the passing was. So many passes were off target, which broke the flow of the game.

Anyway here's hoping we sign a couple of new faces to add to Crosas and McCourt. Out of the whole squad, the one I'm most dissappointed we haven't freshened is left back with Naylor still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    . As for the penalty, it was a bit soft I thought but a penalty nonetheless.

Aye....right....;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UG7IW4PJ_4

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »

Yep, penalty, and a sending off. Being the last defender back he took a big risk and got caught out, pulling at JVoH from behind with his left arm, giving the ref a perfect view.

Don't believe everything Scott hun Booth blabbers on about on Setanta.

Yep, penalty, and a sending off. Being the last defender back he took a big risk and got caught out, pulling at JVoH from behind with his left arm, giving the ref a perfect view.

Don't believe everything Scott hun Booth blabbers on about on Setanta.

Paul....i dont have Setanta so id have a hard time hearing what Booth says.
    All i have to go on at the minute is that, admittedly awkward, angle on things.

JVOH has his arms stretched out backwards holding Haining off as he runs onto the ball.
    He then backs into Haining who has his arms outstretched as the keeper comes out.

The referee got it wrong here......but then he does have a track record doesnt he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Agree completely with Eirebear. Never ever a penalty. Vennegor simply fell over after fluffing his shot. Haining did absolutely nothing to warrant a foul.

The game itself was an absolute borefest with a lot of latargic performances. Fair enough it was the first game of the season but the football really was poor.

As i always believe that these things tend to even themselves out over the course of a season.
    I am going to type this so i can point to it later on in the campaign.

In the last 6 competitive matches at Parkhead, Celtic's opposition have had a man sent off.

Interesting stat IMO

• Advertisement

Plenty of stats can be pulled out to try and prove whatever you want to prove. Which of those sendings off are you disputing?

As for biased reffing, which you seem to be hinting at, you just have to look at the last meeting of Rangers and Dundee Utd. for the best example of that.

As for the penalty yesterday, sure it wasn't as obvious as some, or as deliberate as some, but the last player back tugging on a strikers jersey is leaving himself open to be sent off. Yeah it was harsh but the ref can call it as a penalty, and he did. End of story.

Plenty of stats can be pulled out to try and prove whatever you want to prove. Which of those sendings off are you disputing?

As for biased reffing, which you seem to be hinting at, you just have to look at the last meeting of Rangers and Dundee Utd. for the best example of that.

As for the penalty yesterday, sure it wasn't as obvious as some, or as deliberate as some, but the last player back tugging on a strikers jersey is leaving himself open to be sent off. Yeah it was harsh but the ref can call it as a penalty, and he did. End of story.

Not disputing anything paul, i think i quite clearly said i believe these things even themselves out over the course of things. I have made my feelings on yesterdays penalty known, and thats that.

I do however expect that before May, there will be a bunch of posts in this very thread complaining about hun referees and conspiracies against Celtic.
    It happened last season, it happened the season before and im pretty damn sure it will i happen again.

I simply posted it so i can point to it at a later date.

I mean lets face it, already your showing signs of paranoia....its only a matter of time....

I'm sure there will be plenty of posts about hun refs. That's not really the issue though. My point is that even though yesterday's penalty wasn't a Broadfoot-esque rugby tackle, or a Cuellar hand-ball, or anything nearly as blatant, it was a penalty.

I dont think it should have been, but there ya go.

As i said, just wait untill something similar happens at Ibrox, we'll see how certain people react then.

Gus needs to go to Specsavers, he must have got himself mixed up with Mixu on the refs PowerPoint slides... :D
    Following the defeat at Celtic Park, MacPherson also suggested he had been singled out at the Scottish referees' annual conference.

The Buddies boss claimed he had been one of two managers whose faces were shown on a screen at one point.

However, the Scottish FA's head of referee development, Donald McVicar, was quick to deny the allegations.

"What Gus said was not true. Gus MacPherson was not even mentioned, nor was his face up on any screen," said McVicar.

"What we do is look at video clips and DVDs and look at the good, bad and ugly part of the game to see what we want to improve upon.

"One of the clips we used was of a tackle in a Scottish Cup game (between Rangers and Hibs) and how the two managers, Walter Smith and Mixu Paatelainen, had got involved as a result of that.

"We were looking at the repercussions of the tackle.
    "We were not specifically looking at managers and that was the only time we talked about them - and Gus MacPherson wasn't one of them."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/7554548.stm

Mountain out of a molehill FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone hear anything about O' Dea and Scott Brown getting arrested outside a club last night?

Apparantly O'Dea was arrested. Brown got a few digs while trying to get a taxi. O'Dea got involved when trying to defend either Brown or McGeady.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about O' Dea and Scott Brown getting arrested outside a club last night?

Bloody Tims, always causing trouble... :D

Congratulations Celtic. You have just won 4, 5, possibly 6 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Paul....i dont have Setanta so id have a hard time hearing what Booth says.
    All i have to go on at the minute is that, admittedly awkward, angle on things.

JVOH has his arms stretched out backwards holding Haining off as he runs onto the ball.
    He then backs into Haining who has his arms outstretched as the keeper comes out.

The referee got it wrong here......but then he does have a track record doesnt he?

A shocking decision by the ref.

If anyone was fouling it was JVoH pawing Haining off. Never a peno, inexplicable that the defender was sent off as well. If Rangers got that peno I would be fuming.

Apparantly O'Dea was arrested. Brown got a few digs while trying to get a taxi. O'Dea got involved when trying to defend either Brown or McGeady.

Heard more or less the same.

***not claiming this is true, this is what I heard happened - this is a rumour***

What I heard was that the "famine song" got sung and McGeady, Brown and O'Dea started singing 3-in-a-row back. Brown got a thump from behind (which some say knocked him out cold), McGeady gave chase and O'Dea went mental.

O'Dea charged with breach of peace as well as a couple of teenagers.

Breaking news...Loovens leaves Cardiff for Celtic
    GLENN LOOVENS is joining Celtic in a £3million deal after Cardiff City agreed a fee with the Glasgow giants.

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan met the Bluebirds’ asking price for their Dutch defender following a day of negotiations yesterday.

Loovens has agreed personal terms with Celtic and has jumped at the chance to move north of the border, where he will play UEFA Champions League football.

That was quick if true. :eek: It was a fight between Celtic and Rangers to get him and it looks like Celtic win again. :D

Breaking news...Loovens leaves Cardiff for Celtic

That was quick if true. :eek: It was a fight between Celtic and Rangers to get him and it looks like Celtic win again. :D

One look at the state of our club and there wasnt really much choice.

Weve ****ed about with petty bids for ages and once again Strachan swooped.

once again Strachan swooped.

Well, not quite, the sharp-suited one swooped.

Murray is a bluffer, and a very transparent one at that. I'd be raging if he was running Celtic.

Well, not quite, the sharp-suited one swooped.

Murray is a bluffer, and a very transparent one at that. I'd be raging if he was running Celtic.

Lawell? As much as i cant stand him i cant help but wish Murray was more like him.... :(

• Advertisement

Lawell? As much as i cant stand him i cant help but wish Murray was more like him.... :(

Martin Bain is Lawwell's equivalent though and I think Lawwell is doing a brilliant job for Celtic

Martin Bain is Lawwell's equivalent though and I think Lawwell is doing a brilliant job for Celtic

Not really as Celtic are a PLC compared to Rangers Ltd.

Lawell is as much a spokesman as he is a money man, Bain is just a monkey.

looks like were about to sign Pedro Mendes from Portsmouth, i must admit i dont know enough about him to pass judgement, but he hasnt been without his injury problems has he?

Not really as Celtic are a PLC compared to Rangers Ltd.

Lawell is as much a spokesman as he is a money man, Bain is just a monkey.

No, they are both Chief Executives.

No, they are both Chief Executives.

but they play completely different roles within their clubs.
    celtic are structured differently from Rangers so they cant possibly be the same.

You dont here Bain giving interviews do you?

Lawell is a PR genius on the other hand and takes all the speakg parts when it comes to dealing with the press.

This is why i compared him to Murray, he does the talking for Rangers

I have to say I'm impressed with Rangers' signings in the last couple of days. Pedro Mendes (i thought he was older), that highly rated guy off Valencia and now Edu from the MLS aswell (subject to permit) as still being linked with Breschiano.

The Spanish seem to be make a lot of bad judgments with players at underage level. Real Madrid let De La Red go to Getafe last season with the option of buying him back in 2 years. He ended up getting into the Spain squad and they bought him back this summer. The potential of the Spanish players signed by Celtic and Rangers could be anything.

but they play completely different roles within their clubs.
    celtic are structured differently from Rangers so they cant possibly be the same.

You dont here Bain giving interviews do you?

Lawell is a PR genius on the other hand and takes all the speakg parts when it comes to dealing with the press.

This is why i compared him to Murray, he does the talking for Rangers

Murray is Ranger Spokesman, Lawwell is Celtic's but thats the only difference between Bain and Lawwell. Thats a small part of the job. John Reid is David Murray's equivalent.

If you read the financial reports of both clubs, Bain & Lawwell cover all the same aspects of their clubs because they over see everything. Their jobs are basically the same bar a few minor differences.

United deservedly got a share of the points today, and probably should have won it. No arguments from me today about penalties. United were robbed of a penalty today. We can count our blessings we got a point today.

2 league games in and not one striker on the scoresheet. Bit worrying I must say. Overall I thought we weren't great - not brutal - but nowhere near good enough except for the first period of the 2nd half where we had a great spell. It looked certain we'd score again and kill the game - Naka played great considering he's just back from injury. We wilted when he went off and the last 10 mins was squeaky bum time.

Sandaza looks like a player. I enjoy watching Dundee United play, was sorry to see them loose Hunt, but they might have found themselves a bit of a gem with Sandaza. Cannot wait to see them v Rangers. ;)

The more I hear about this, the more I hope it happens. We definitely need more attacking options. And a left-back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Another shocking decision today by all accounts, no conspiracy theories from me though.
    We all know how incompetent Richmond is, he will never change.

This season is in danger of becoming a real powder keg if someone doesnt step in and have a look at Referee's like him before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Celtic have looked awful in the last 2 games. And have had two rediculous decisions go their way. If that was Rangers I wouldn't like to see the reactions on here.
    disappointed not to see Caddis today. Don't no what Strtachan was thinkin givin Sammy 2 mins. McDonald(s) is lookin very fat at the moment. Gonna have to cut down on the fags too. Always panthin. Doesn't seem like the same nippy lad like before.
    I would really like to see Maloney back but wudn't pay more than we sold him for.
    Anyone else hearing these stories about Crespo??? We'd have to get rid of bobo and Graveson as their wages are just rediculous, but both just seem happy to sit on the bench or play with the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I have to say we have come stumbling out of the blocks this year. There does not seem to be any plan going forward, no ideas as to what to do with it. McDonald has been really below par. Instead of getting stuck in - he would moan a poor pass - and that header on 91 just shows that he is lacking confidence big time. Still, at least its this side of the season and we had 4 from 2 games last season at the opener. Plus Maloney may be on the way in next few days so fingers crossed. But we NEED to sign in some quality to bolster that squad.

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Anyone else hearing these stories about Crespo??? We'd have to get rid of bobo and Graveson as their wages are just rediculous, but both just seem happy to sit on the bench or play with the reserves.

Don't think Crespo would happen, I'm not sure he'd really be a solution either to be honest. As for Gravesen and Balde, I suspect one or both might be gone based on this from the financial report:
    Our profit before tax of £4.44m (2007: £15.04m) also reflects exceptional operating expenses of £3.19m that we have decided to take this year for the early termination of certain employment contracts

• Advertisement

I don't want Maloney back at Celtic, he chose to leave Celtic and get a better deal at Villa fair enough.

We don't need him he would only stifle Mcgeady progress imo as they play a similar role.

When Strachan got a chance to play his first choice midfield last season the team usually played some excellent football.

McGeady -- Brown -- Donati -- Naka

They played together almost every time they were all available up until April '08. They only played together 15 times though because of Naka's injury. In their first 13 games together, they won all 13, scoring 3 goals or more in 8 of them. Their final 2 games together were defeats to Aberdeen and then Motherwell. It was then that Hartley finally broke into the first team, along with Robson and Celtic won the league through grit, determination, work rate, energy and pretty poor football.

It's a pity Donati isn't up to the SPL. If Crosas can be consistent version of Donati on a good day then we could see some really decent football.

Anyway, Strachans teams struggle to win comfortably away from home. It's Celtic Park where the football is played with Naka strolling around.

Maloney's coming back! :D I'm over the moon.

Sno gone to Ajax. Pity. He could be a star. Hopefully a big sell on clause.

Maloney's coming back! :D I'm over the moon.

Sno gone to Ajax. Pity. He could be a star. Hopefully a big sell on clause.

Maloney is a superb player, don't like how he left us and he'll have to win over a lot of the fans. Genuinely can't believe he didn't make it at Villa, he is a superb player and Villa will regret letting him go.

I'd say A.Young is the reason he didn't make it Villa. I don't agree with those that say Maloney is versatile. The only position he's proven himself in is left midfield and imo he has to play there. McGeady's just as good on the right. To fit those 2 and Naka in the team we'd have to go with 1 striker which I'd be happy to do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement