Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Eirebear wrote: »
    I guess you have a fair point if that is the case. But its strange, if it had been under the same manager i would agree, but its went on far too long now.
    Well Strachan has lost all his away games in the CL proper which is still a fair few games. Also, the pressure comes from the fans and all the fans are talking about this 17 or 18 game streak with just the one draw. In fact football fans around Europe know about Celtic's terrible away form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Well Strachan has lost all his away games in the CL proper which is still a fair few games. Also, the pressure comes from the fans and all the fans are talking about this 17 or 18 game streak with just the one draw. In fact football fans around Europe know about Celtic's terrible away form.

I understand that the mental side of it is massive, but i think at this stage you could look just at Strachans away record rather than the whole thing, and take the pressure from there.

A change of manager would refresh the whole thing again IMO.

Its just strange the way its working out.

Anyway, long may it continue...it gives us one of the few chants we have that you cant complain about! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Who cares about clean sheets though? I don't, they're a nice to have but once you're scoring enough goals, clean sheets are not important.

I knew as did everyone that we'd concede at least a goal tonight. Therefore, we have to go in with the attitude of scoring more than 1 goal. We have to not let our attacking fade when we do lose a goal.

What I did see tonight which was a positive was us creating chances, especially in the first 20 mins. Haven't seen that in away CL games for a long time. When we didn't take those chances though I had a feeling it would come back and bite us. Yet we still scored first - that should have brought a second against a team like Aalborg.

This won't affect our league performances imo. We do need a fit JVoH, McGeady, Naka and Crosas though, and keep the Caldwell/McManus partnership together.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Who cares about clean sheets though?
    Should have been obvious. :) We couldn't keep a clean sheet away from home for over a year. The players knew about it, the media knew about it, the fans knew about it. Because of that the pressure was huge and because of that they shat themselves if they hadn't conceded by the last 10-15 minutes. As soon as they got that 1 clean sheet they got another 3 in their next 5 games.

The pressure's a lot bigger in this case because it's on such a bigger stage and every one knows about the record. A win tonight would have allowed the players to settle a lot more in the next few CL away games.

In fact, if tonight was a UEFA cup game it may have been a comfortable win for Celtic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ach, I dunno, I'd take the two results sandwiched in the middle any day (the two 1-5 results) over 0-1 wins against Falkirk and St. Mirren though!!! :D At least when you're 2 or 3 goals up you can play nice football rather than just waiting (like tonight) for 70+ minutes equalisers. :(

There's always missed chances, but we should at the very least come away from there with a 2-2 draw, and probably a 2-3 win. I'm so disappointed in Samaras, McDonald and Naka tonight. Robson was excellent as was Wilson, and Brown was solid. Sheridan was poor also, and as much as we had a couple of defensive slip-ups, our inability to score goals in big games remains the issue. 2 goals in 5 CL games is shocking, and is the worst scoring record in the whole CL this season.

Being 4th in a group with Aalborg is an embarrassment. I hope we can bring in some quality in January. We could do with some defensive backup for sure, but we need to be looking at a quality striker also. Sheridan is not up to CL yet. Assuming Naka and/or McGeady are for the off, we'll need to replace them also.

Ach, I dunno, I'd take the two results sandwiched in the middle any day (the two 1-5 results) over 0-1 wins against Falkirk and St. Mirren though!!! :D At least when you're 2 or 3 goals up you can play nice football rather than just waiting (like tonight) for 70+ minutes equalisers. :(
    Jaysus Paulo I didn't think I'd still have to explain it. :D I'm not saying there's pressure on our players to keep clean sheets away in the CL. I'm just comparing the pressure on the players after a terrible 14 month record and now the pressure on the players with this terrible CL away record. :) One clean sheet away from home led to a few more, one win away in the CL may lead to a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    I will debate with any man, anywhere. I posted 10 messages about Remembrance Sunday, this is hardly the actions of a man that wont debate. So like most of your postings on this site, yet again I get the awful stench of horse manure! Funny that eh?!
    Laughing, you are some case!! You continue to try and debate this issue even though Ive told you 1000 times that I and other people were fed up with you........

Spot the contradiction!!! "I'll debate anytime with any man... but I'm not answering your questions!!!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Jaysus Paulo I didn't think I'd still have to explain it. :D I'm not saying there's pressure on our players to keep clean sheets away in the CL. I'm just comparing the pressure on the players after a terrible 14 month record and now the pressure on the players with this terrible CL away record. :) One clean sheet away from home led to a few more, one win away in the CL may lead to a few more.

Dime bar moment. :D

I see what you're saying, but if our away duck was ever to be broken, last night was the opportunity to do it. I was convinced we'd get a win there given our recent league form, and even how the players were talking beforehand, like they'd had enough of the away losses and were determined to change it. And the fact that Aalborg are probably the poorest CL opposition we've had for a very long time. I mean compare them to Shakhtar - no comparison.

Regardless of how worrying our away form is, our CL home form has been poor this season which is an even bigger problem I think. The away performances we pretty much all expect will be gash, but we do always have expectations of 3 points at home, even against big teams. Had we taken 3 points from our first game, we'd not even be having this conversation.

There was a thread on here recently about Strachan and why is it that some Celtic fans hate him. Some of the less educated on here claimed it was because he didn't have a Celtic background and that their pals in Glasgow had told them that a lot of Celtic fans thought this - utter rhubarb.

Last night showed, once again, why Strachan is not liked by a large section of the Celtic support - he is just not up to the job.

Loovens started ahead of O'Dea at centre half. What does O'Dea need to do to get a run in the team? O'Dea might not be good enough for Celtic (I think he is though) but he deserves a run of about 20 games in the team to see if he is. He will never make it as a full back but every time I have seen him at centre half he has impressed. O'Dea and Caldwell need to be the centre half pairings.

Caldwell started centre-mid, our best defender (I genuinely can't believe I just said that!) is moved out of position to play in midfield... due to injuries. However, Hartley is on the bench and Robson played on the wing??? Why did Hartley or Robson not start in centre midfield with Caldwell and McManus at the back??? How McManus has not been dropped this season is beyond me, how he is club captain is an enigma.

Robson then is deployed wide left (and was motm imo) but surely he should have started in centre mid with Brown and Maloney played on the wing? We didn't need to play a few players out of position last night - we had the players fit to play in their strongest positions but Strachan refused to do so!

If last night's game was a GAA match Samaras would have been hooked after 20 minutes, a shockingly inept display from a player who has started very well at Celtic. For some reason soccer managers don't take players off before half time, that Samaras lasted until the 72nd minute shows Strachan up for being a joker.

Naka looked shattered at the start of the second half and offered us nothing. He should have been gone long before the hour mark but once again Starchan failed to see this.

Taking Mark Wilson off for Maloney with a minute to go was an insult to Maloney who should have been on (for Naka) long before that.

A terrible night for Celtic, an even worse one for Strachan... thank God he didn't make any jokes in his after match interview.

I agree with most of that Bobby. Samaras should have been hooked earlier, but to be honest Sheridan was no better so I don't think that would have made much difference in the end. Both were poor last night. I'm still trying to get my head around how poor Samaras actually was when everyone knows how much better he can be. Imagine if you were taking a look at him for the first time last night... you'd not have him anywhere near the first team, yet he's knocked in - what is it now - maybe 10 goals and with the guts of a month out with injury? Can't understand it.

Was surprised to see Loovens there last night. Maloney should have started, with Caldwell playing where he has been at his best.

Didn't see Strachan's post match interview as I just couldn't face it. What did he have to say for himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Loovens started ahead of O'Dea at centre half. What does O'Dea need to do to get a run in the team? O'Dea might not be good enough for Celtic (I think he is though) but he deserves a run of about 20 games in the team to see if he is. He will never make it as a full back but every time I have seen him at centre half he has impressed. O'Dea and Caldwell need to be the centre half pairings.

Im blue in the face from explaining to non-Celtic fans that Darren O'Dea is being shafted at Celtic and surely he'll leave in January bringing in this clown Loovens is surely the final straw, hopefully he''ll stick it out till the summer and Strachans replacement* gives him a fair crack of the whip.

Kneels on ground and prays to God

Didn't see Strachan's post match interview as I just couldn't face it. What did he have to say for himself?

Very litte,

"I thought it was all a bad dream and i'd wake up and we'd still be winning 1-0. But the footballing gods where against us today, that or our ability not to keep a clean sheet"

Thats pretty much all he gave.

Very litte,

"I thought it was all a bad dream and i'd wake up and we'd still be winning 1-0. But the footballing gods where against us today, that or our ability not to keep a clean sheet"

Thats pretty much all he gave.

Glad I didn't listen to it so. "Footballing gods, bad luck etc." - all bollocks.

Our inability to score goals is the issue, not our inability to keep a clean sheet. Villarreal didn't keep a clean sheet against Aalborg, they feckin' pumped them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thank f*ck Celtic didn't get into the UEFA Cup. After that disgrace of a performance against Utd at Parkhead, the last thing football needs is another Rangers getting to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

monkey9 wrote: »
    Thank f*ck Celtic didn't get into the UEFA Cup. After that disgrace of a performance against Utd at Parkhead, the last thing football needs is another Rangers getting to the final.

Go troll somewhere else, oh and by the way how many teams in the UEFA Cup would draw with what are widely recognised as Europes finest???

edit -GY this is a yellow card infraction not a red as appears. The soccer mods and admins will be made aware of this error

And the "Troll of the Week" award goes to...... ^^^^^^ :rolleyes:

Go troll somewhere else, oh and by the way how many teams in the UEFA Cup would draw with what are widely recognised as Europes finest???

Playing a five five zero formation, a few i'd say. 0r even the old seven three zero formation that Celtic had playing that night at times

What? Instead they have a completely inept Danish side who must be still pinching themselves that they managed beat a poor Celtic side?
    A side whos truggled to pass the ball, a side who gave Celtic at least 3 or four big chances?

Get a grip of yerself eh?

Playing a five five zero formation, a few i'd say. 0r even the old seven three zero formation that Celtic had playing that night at times

Who is this guy?

Is a major part of football not about playing to your strengths?

Man Utd are a far beter side than Celtic, just as Barca were against Rangers last year.
    When the better side is pushing you to the limits, it is inevitable that the weaker side will pull back and try and hold on.

Rangers got to the final last year because they deserved it, plain and simple. Just as Zenit deserved to win the tournament because they were the first team in it who managed to break down the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Eirebear, made the very same points a while back in relation to Rangers run to UEFA final.... You cant criticise Rangers or Celtic is playing in a particular manner to get a result... Anyone who does, hasnt a clue about soccer.

I would say that had Celtic adopted a more cautious approach last night they would still be in Europe. At 1-1, they should have shut up shop. With 20 mins to go, there was never going to be a goal in Villareal, even I got bored watching United. It looked like Celtic were pushing on for the winner from what I could see from a play back of game. I dont think it was a gamble worth taking in the circumstances, everyone should have known a 0-0 scoreline after 70 mins when it suited both teams was unlikely to change... Celtic should have protected their Uefa Cup place.

And i dont say this with benefit of hindsight, most people with any knowledge of the game would have seen this last night.

Spot the contradiction!!! "I'll debate anytime with any man... but I'm not answering your questions!!!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good man Robert.. If Celtic had more characters like you in their team, who refuse to admit when their beaten, theyd be better off eh. Gary Caldwell certainly played the ball and not the man last night... Played it too well eh!!

""
    There was a thread on here recently about Strachan and why is it that some Celtic fans hate him. Some of the less educated on here claimed it was because he didn't have a Celtic background and that their pals in Glasgow had told them that a lot of Celtic fans thought this - utter rhubarb.""

Funny that, I was listening to Talksport last night on the net, and one Celtic fan called in and said " Strachan must go because he is not a Celtic man. Give the job to Lennon, hes a Celtic man" or words to this effect. So despite it not being an issue for seemingly all the Celtic fans on this board, it is an issue among the Celtic support. How widely this view is held, who knows? However, to deny this sentiment exists and call it 'utter rhubarb' is riduclous. The facts speak for themselves. It may only be a minority, but it exists folks......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is well known that only numpties phone Talksport

Funny that, I was listening to Talksport last night on the net, and one Celtic fan called in and said " Strachan must go because he is not a Celtic man. Give the job to Lennon, hes a Celtic man" or words to this effect. So despite it not being an issue for seemingly all the Celtic fans on this board, it is an issue among the Celtic support. How widely this view is held, who knows? However, to deny this sentiment exists and call it 'utter rhubarb' is riduclous. The facts speak for themselves. It may only be a minority, but it exists folks......

How do you know he wasn't a Rangers fan on the wind-up?

And why are you so insistent on bringing this point up again and again on this thread when it is patently clear that not one Celtic fan who posts on this thread believes this whole Celtic-minded bit?

Seriously Brewster, change the record.

""
    There was a thread on here recently about Strachan and why is it that some Celtic fans hate him. Some of the less educated on here claimed it was because he didn't have a Celtic background and that their pals in Glasgow had told them that a lot of Celtic fans thought this - utter rhubarb.""

Simple solution really - get us a real Celtic fan who wants Strachan to go "because he is not Celtic minded" - they might exist but I doubt they'd be able to string a sentence together. I have never met one nor have any of my Celtic supporting mates, from various different countries, met one.

• Advertisement

Good man Robert.. If Celtic had more characters like you in their team, who refuse to admit when their beaten, theyd be better off eh. Gary Caldwell certainly played the ball and not the man last night... Played it too well eh!!

How could I be beaten when you wouldn't even start the debate? You took your ball and ran home - even now you still can't answer the question.

Stop trolling.

How do you know he wasn't a Rangers fan on the wind-up?

And why are you so insistent on bringing this point up again and again on this thread when it is patently clear that not one Celtic fan who posts on this thread believes this whole Celtic-minded bit?

Seriously Brewster, change the record.

Paulo, I was the person that raised the issue. I would not have raised issue again except for the fact that there is a sentence in Bobby Sands posting which indicated that the person who raised this issue may be 'less educated' and in effect that person, i.e. myself, was talking utter rhubarb... I agree it could be a Rangers fan on the windup, however in the circumstances I dont think so. This is not the first time ive heard this, and while I fully accept that it is not an issue for you personally or the other genuine Celtic fans on here, your wrong to completely dismiss it as a non issue and claim I have brought this issue up time and time again. Not true.

Who is this guy?

Is a major part of football not about playing to your strengths?

Man Utd are a far beter side than Celtic, just as Barca were against Rangers last year.
    When the better side is pushing you to the limits, it is inevitable that the weaker side will pull back and try and hold on.

Rangers got to the final last year because they deserved it, plain and simple. Just as Zenit deserved to win the tournament because they were the first team in it who managed to break down the defence.

Celtic played to their strengths, fair enough. Glad they're not in the UEFA Cup though to watch them 'play to their strengths'. Awful stuff, just like Rangers last year

Paulo, I was the person that raised the issue. I would not have raised issue again except for the fact that there is a sentence in Bobby Sands posting which indicated that the person who raised this issue may be 'less educated' and in effect that person, i.e. myself, was talking utter rhubarb... I agree it could be a Rangers fan on the windup, however in the circumstances I dont think so. This is not the first time ive heard this, and while I fully accept that it is not an issue for you personally or the other genuine Celtic fans on here, your wrong to completely dismiss it as a non issue and claim I have brought this issue up time and time again. Not true.

Ok, so you think it's an issue. I think it's a non-issue; as does every other Celtic supporter on this thread as far as I can see. I guess my reasoning is based on the fact that I've never met or heard from a Celtic fan who has held the belief that Strachan should go because he's not "Celtic minded".

Ok, so you think it's an issue. I think it's a non-issue; as does every other Celtic supporter on this thread as far as I can see. I guess my reasoning is based on the fact that I've never met or heard from a Celtic fan who has held the belief that Strachan should go because he's not "Celtic minded".

Accept that 100% as my posts have indicated.....

• Advertisement

Celtic played to their strengths, fair enough. Glad they're not in the UEFA Cup though to watch them 'play to their strengths'. Awful stuff, just like Rangers last year

I wish you'd stick to "expressing your inner anguish through the majesty of song" instead of expressing it by talking shіte on this thread. :pac:

Celtic supporters think it's a non-issue.

Non-Celtic supporters think it's an issue.

I think this is what's known as trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I as a non Celtic supporter don't thonk its an issue Bobby :p

I as a non Celtic supporter don't thonk its an issue Bobby :p

;):D

bobbysands81 - Don't agree with a lot your post. Midfield was a success last night. No way would Hartley have improved it and I'd be surprised if they played as well with Hartley in midfield. Caldwell is actually a much more inventive and creative player than Hartley which says it all. And I've never seen Brown play that influential role he did last night with Hartley in the team. Robson was superb too.

As for McManus, man of the match in both Man Utd games for me. He's a big game player. Loovens looked shaky last night but it's not as if Boruc had much to do other than take 2 cruel goals out of the net.

In GAA Samaras would have been taken off after 20 minutes... This isn't GAA and football managers don't make decisions like that for whatever reason so critisise Strachan and you're critisising for that the best of them. Samaras improved considerably after half time. And I don't know a Celtic fan that wouldn't have started him.

Celtic were the better team last night. There's plenty of matches where I'll blame Strachan's team selection and tactics but not last night.

Actually, we beat Shakhtar last season and I wasn't overjoyed after the game because Celtic were 2nd best. Shakhtar were unlucky to lose. It's a results based business but I just don't judge every game on the final result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Caldwell has been excellent at the back this season that's for certain but i just wish Strachan would tell him to keep it simple when playing in midfield and stop trying to be Zidane all the time.

We got over run in the middle in the last 10 minutes when calm heads were needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If I see more posts like this, I'll be very unhappy and start to think you are a troll.

Wow, like a derby game on here today... yellows and reds being dished out all over the place. :eek:

Why on earth have I got into trouble for this post???

Non-Celtic fans posting on the thread just to cause trouble and I get a warning for the above post???

Non-Celtic fans posting on the thread just to cause trouble and I get a warning for the above post???

I think we got a mod on a bad day yesterday. :(

• Advertisement

I think you needed censoring Bobby... The yellow card was probably for persistent fouling over a period of time, rather than one bad tackle!

I think you needed censoring Bobby... It was probably for persistent fouling over a period of time, rather than one bad tackle!

Careful Brewster, that's the type of comment I got a warning for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Accusing someone of trolling is against the charter.

bloody hell. this thread is in a bad way....

And the "Troll of the Week" award goes to...... ^^^^^^ :rolleyes:

I'd rather take a "yellow" for the above (pretty tame in my view) joke than to be a sneaky prick and report posts to mods. I'll probably get another "yellow" for this post of course. :D

PowerTrip CSC :rolleyes:

Whats a troll Paulo for the less well educated on here such as myself?!? Im presume trolling is the adjective!

Who reported who? Wasnt me......

Whats a troll Paulo for the less well educated on here such as myself?!? Im presume trolling is the adjective!

Who reported who? Wasnt me......

Troll

I don't think anyone reported anyone, at least as far as I know!

I got a "yellow" for making a joke about Monkey9's comments, because it was seen to be me accusing him of trolling. Apparently I was "back seat modding". :D

It seems that people should report posts they feel are trolling rather than mention the fact that they are trolling. My last post was just saying I'd rather just let someone know what I think on the thread (within reason ;)) than go and report posts that really don't need to be reported (which I just feel is sneaky).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Post reported for trolling and back sit modding and personal abuse and calling all Celtic fans gob****es and infantile mispronunctions and baiting and gross generalisations of Celtic fans and finally for talking about football

Probably the last will will be actioned on ;)

Strachan poll on KDS:

When would you like Gordon Strachan to be replaced as manager?

Now 10 (2.6%)
    If Celtic lose to Rangers in December 19 (4.8%)
    Before the end of the January transfer window regardless of results 5 (1.3%)
    If Celtic do not win the league 76 (19.4%)
    At the end of the season, even if we win the league. 112 (28.6%)
    I would like him to be in charge at the start of next season 170 (43.4%)

Total Votes: 392

• Advertisement

Interesting poll, very few want him gone now even after the shambles on Tuesday.

I'd like to see what happens in January with transfers, but right now I have no wish for him to leave. Aside from some mildly annoying traits and some strange decisions, he's been a great manager for Celtic I reckon. As hard as it is to see at the moment given recent events, we have played better away in the CL this season than we have in previous years. We outplayed Aalborg in both games, and realistically should have now been sitting on 7 points, with the Villarreal home game to come.

I don't think he'll stay after this season though. I was a little surprised he stayed this long, but I honestly think he'll call it a day after this season and likely end up in the EPL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement