Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

David Moyes to take over hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Strachan poll on KDS:

When would you like Gordon Strachan to be replaced as manager?

Now 10 (2.6%)
    If Celtic lose to Rangers in December 19 (4.8%)
    Before the end of the January transfer window regardless of results 5 (1.3%)
    If Celtic do not win the league 76 (19.4%)
    At the end of the season, even if we win the league. 112 (28.6%)
    I would like him to be in charge at the start of next season 170 (43.4%)

Total Votes: 392

Gonna stick the same poll on the Huddleboard and see what the results are!

Completely different I'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'll shove it up on gersforum......i bet i know what the answers will be! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'd like to see him stay. Its the board that needs to give him money if they want us to be more competitive in Europ. Like i mean 15-20 million pounds every summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

MOG7 wrote: »
    I'd like to see him stay. Its the board that needs to give him money if they want us to be more competitive in Europ. Like i mean 15-20 million pounds every summer.

Dont think given WGS that kind of money would solve anything going by some of the signings he's made

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dont think given WGS that kind of money would solve anything going by some of the signings he's made

So can we assume Premierstone is firmly in the "get him tae feck" camp then? :D
    MOG7 wrote: »
    Like i mean 15-20 million pounds every summer.

We'd all love to see that. Never gonna happen though. The board will spend what we need to win the SPL, going further in Europe realistically would need more than 15 to 20 million. Anyway, players at the next level generally don't want to spend their careers in Scotland.

PauloMN wrote: »
    So can we assume Premierstone is firmly in the "get him tae feck" camp then? :D

Nay not at all, but I dont think transfer dealings are one of he's strong points, no after Teusday night I was livid and would have said sack him now, but I've calmed down abit now and reality has taken over I think it would be redicilous to be even contemplating sacking a Manager of Celtic for not getting to the last 16 of the Champions league, and he's record in the SPL is well beyond fault really ( I just wish he'd stop trying to be all weird and sarky when he's doing an interviewbut thats a minor complaint)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Well guys, don't worry I won't destroy the thread with videos, just thought this video deserves a special mention. I think we could all do with a reminder of the good days after Tuesdays heartbreak. Found it on You Tube, best video of Celtic I've seen on it. Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

that music is so depressin...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I really, really, really feckin' enjoyed that video. I didn't even notice the music. What an end to a season, such a fitting tribute to Tommy Burns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

great video, relly enjoyed that. here's to another win today, after tuesday surely things can only get better.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hearts 2-0 up!! 2-1 now as I post....
    ziggy wrote: »
    It's MUCH higher than I expected, especially after just finishing bottom of the CL group. Even I'm a Strachan fan but still voted for "If Celtic do not win the league". I'd like a change regardless, mainly because I think he splits the fans too much so it's not really as enjoyable. Wanting the manager sacked actually helps you get over a defeat for some strange reason. It didn't really hurt to watch Ireland going behind to Cyprus in Croker because I just wanted any reason to get Stan out. So I'd like all the fans to be the same boat after a defeat, or a win. :) I also don't have as much faith in him as I previously did. I thought we'd have a really good team by now but Strachan thinks Caldwell-McManus is the best we can do at centre half.

Good results today, didn't see our game but sounded a bit shakey. 12th win in a row which is a great achievement. 7 points is a nice cushion to have now - I expect we might need it next weekend away to Hibs. Always a banana skin for us, although they've been poor this season.

Dec and Jan looking like tough months for Celtic - 5 away fixtures as well:

Celtic
    Sunday, 07 December 2008, Hibernian v Celtic, 14:00
    Saturday, 13 December 2008, Celtic v Hearts, 15:00
    Sunday, 21 December 2008, Falkirk v Celtic, 14:00
    Saturday, 27 December 2008, Rangers v Celtic, 12:30
    Saturday, 03 January 2009, Celtic v Dundee Utd, 15:00
    Sunday, 18 January 2009, Aberdeen v Celtic, 14:00
    Saturday, 24 January 2009, Celtic v Hibernian, 15:00
    Sunday, 01 February 2009, Inverness CT v Celtic, 14:00

Few tough games coming up for Rangers also - Dundee Utd and Aberdeen away, and of course the derby on the 27th. ;)

Rangers
    Saturday, 06 December 2008, Rangers v Hamilton, 15:00
    Saturday, 13 December 2008, Dundee Utd v Rangers, 12:30
    Saturday, 20 December 2008, Rangers v Hibernian, 15:00
    Saturday, 27 December 2008, Rangers v Celtic, 12:30
    Sunday, 04 January 2009, Inverness CT v Rangers,
    Saturday, 17 January 2009, Rangers v Falkirk, 15:00
    Saturday, 24 January 2009, Aberdeen v Rangers, 12:30
    Saturday, 31 January 2009, Rangers v Dundee Utd, 15:00

Loved Boyd's "celebration" today. :eek:

Good results today, didn't see our game but sounded a bit shakey.
    I watched the 2nd half and it was horrible tbh listening to the constant moans and groans from the crowd. You want to hear the noise when Naylor gave the ball away at one point. The pressure on the likes of Naylor and Sheridan must be unreal and I doubt anyone could play their proper game with that pressure.

Anyway, that's Strachan's record now of consecutive league wins. Keep it up.

Celtic v Dundee Scottish cup draw, Rangers v St Johnstone at perth, tie of the round Hertz v Hibs! All ties weekend of 10th january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Badabing wrote: »
    tie of the round Hertz v Hibs!

Ah gash. I hope they fail to pay their players a few times more. I don't fancy ours on current form against theirs. 6 weeks to improve.

Just watched the full match on Celtic TV. That's 3 really dire performances now in a row that Hartley has started in. And he's making the top 3 of the motm votes in each one. I'm sorry for picking on the guy constantly but I genuinely believe he's takes the team down a notch or 2 when he plays. Brown isn't even half the player when Hartley is playing.

That's not Hartley's fault and I've nothing against him obviously but it's getting to the stage where Hartley playing takes away from some of the excitement of watching Celtic because I'm expecting a poor game.

Anyway, Andy Hinkel was again my motm. What a right back he looks to be this season. And brilliant pass from Naka for the goal. As Strachan said, Maloney probably wouldn't have even made that run if anyone else on the pitch had the ball because Naka's the only one that could make the pass. Watching Naka play through a pretty sore injury though makes me think he's off next month (with the Japanese season starting in March there's enough time to rest before then). :(

But Celtic have won those 3 games and he scored in 2 of them and he won the tackle that then Nakamura crossed in for on saturday. He didn't play against Aalborg and our midfield went to pot in the last 20 mins.

Just watched the full match on Celtic TV. That's 3 really dire performances now in a row that Hartley has started in. And he's making the top 3 of the motm votes in each one. I'm sorry for picking on the guy constantly but I genuinely believe he's takes the team down a notch or 2 when he plays. Brown isn't even half the player when Hartley is playing.

I'm still laughing at your timing when you had a go at him on KDS. recently. I think you must literally have just hit the post button when he scored. :D

I do think you're a bit hard on Hartley though. I thought he might have offered something against Aalborg, and you have to admit that Naka was pretty poor 2nd half of that game. People complain a lot about "SPL standard" players like Hartley, Robson etc. but those are the guys pulling us through games a lot of times. Robson for example has been excellent lately.

• Advertisement

I'm still laughing at your timing when you had a go at him on KDS. recently. I think you must literally have just hit the post button when he scored. :D
    :D I think I posted it at half time. Would have posted it after the match anyway even though he scored... seriously! :)
    Badabing wrote:
    But Celtic have won those 3 games and he scored in 2 of them and he won the tackle that then Nakamura crossed in for on saturday. He didn't play against Aalborg and our midfield went to pot in the last 20 mins.
    As I said in my post, those last 3 games that Hartley has played in he's been in our top 3 player in the motm vote. He's actually probably motm in 2 of them. Doesn't change anything though. He's playing as well as he possibly can but for some reason Brown and the rest drop down a level or 2 when Hartley plays. I don't know if it's a coincidence which is the only reason I keep pointing out the difference in performances when he doesn't play. btw, I'm actually voting him for motm in these games too. I've nothing against him.

The team did crap themselves in the last 20 minutes in Denmark but I doubt it would have been any different if we went ahead and Hartley was on the pitch. The pressure to win that match was the biggest factor. But for the first hour or so Brown-Caldwell played much, much better than Hartley would have played with any available partner imo. Caldwell didn't sit too deep so allowed Brown the freedom to dictate the game and Caldwell often took the first time pass which Hartley rarely does.

I thought the 3-0 against Kilmarnock recently was one of the best performances of the season, if not the best, and that was with Donati and Brown in midfield. They also played in the away game against Killie and completely outclassed them. I also thought Crosas and Brown (sometimes Robson in with them) had us playing very good football for the most part. And Scotland improved hugely when Hartley was replaced in Macedonia, and then dropped for Iceland.

I genuinely hate picking on one of our own players so hopefully nobody rips into me and makes me feel any worse. :o

Strachan poll on KDS:

When would you like Gordon Strachan to be replaced as manager?

Now 10 (2.6%)
    If Celtic lose to Rangers in December 19 (4.8%)
    Before the end of the January transfer window regardless of results 5 (1.3%)
    If Celtic do not win the league 76 (19.4%)
    At the end of the season, even if we win the league. 112 (28.6%)
    I would like him to be in charge at the start of next season 170 (43.4%)

Total Votes: 392

Here's the results (so far) from The Huddleboard:

NOW! 46 12.74%
    If Celtic lose to Rangers in December 8 2.22%
    Before the end of the January transfer window regardless of results 3 0.83%
    If Celtic do not win the league 55 15.24%
    At the end of the season, even if we win the league 139 38.50%
    I would like him to be in charge at the start of next season 110 30.47%

361 votes.

Incredible really that only 30% of fans want him to be at the club at the start of next season when he has delivered three-in-a-row and is on his way to 4. This figure was at 20% up until yesterday morning.

70% want him gone by the start of next season, shows that there is a lot of apathy for the man at Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Interesting stuff, i'll create one on TalkCeltic to see the results there

70% want him gone by the start of next season, shows that there is a lot of apathy for the man at Celtic.

You're very pessimistic Bobby, I'd read it like 50% want him around next season (because we'll beat Rangers and we will win the league). :D

The fact that so many want him around after 4 years is a good thing - especially as these "surveys" were done straight after a very poor European campaign. It would be like asking people if they liked FF straight after the medical card fiasco.

Come the end of the season, I guarantee 2 out of every 3 at least will want Strachan around for another season, and most of the remaining folks probably just want a change rather than having anything against the chap.

You're very pessimistic Bobby, I'd read it like 50% want him around next season (because we'll beat Rangers and we will win the league). :D

The fact that so many want him around after 4 years is a good thing - especially as these "surveys" were done straight after a very poor European campaign. It would be like asking people if they liked FF straight after the medical card fiasco.

Come the end of the season, I guarantee 2 out of every 3 at least will want Strachan around for another season, and most of the remaining folks probably just want a change rather than having anything against the chap.

I take your points re the vote is just after another disaster in Europe and some will soften when we get 4-in-a-row.

However, where are you getting your 50% from?

I take your points re the vote is just after another disaster in Europe and some will soften when we get 4-in-a-row.

However, where are you getting your 50% from?

:D

Based on the assumption that if people want him gone depending on certain things happening, that if those things don't happen, those people won't want him gone.

i.e. by adding these to the 30% Huddleboard folk who want him regardless:
    If Celtic lose to Rangers in December 8 2.22%
    If Celtic do not win the league 55 15.24%

Close enough to 50% anyway.

Have I just failed my statistics exam? :confused:;) Was never good at stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Whatever about Strachan, (and i feel we could do with a new manager) we definitely need a new striker. On the big stage Samaras fluffs his lines spectacularly! Banging in a few against Saint crappy Mirren means bugger all at the end of the day if he can't do it when it really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Alright folks, first post in the Soccer Forum so be gentle, what about Ben Hutchinson? Don't think we need a new striker just yet.

• Advertisement

Just saw there Mark Wilson got a 3 year extension on his contract. Not his greatest fan but I suppose he can be useful to have in the squad.
    Giving this left back a trial as well. Hopefully his some bit good.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2472528.0.Bergen_leftback_could_be_perfect_solution_for_Celtic.php

If Ben Hutchinson cannot get a sniff of a game when JVoH, Samaras and even Killen were injured, he's not got a hope for the time being. I don't know what's gone wrong there, but it doesn't seem to be working out for the lad.

So I would agree that we do need another striker, and a quality one at that. I know I'm dreaming when I say we need a replacement for Larsson, and we've not a snowball in hells chance, but essentially that's what we need. Another Henrik please!

Samaras is great in the SPL, but we've got serious problems in Europe with our strikeforce. 2 goals in 5 games this season is shocking, just shocking. We only conceded one away in Villarreal, and 2 in Aalborg (one of which was really bad luck). 2 offsides in Manchester. Compare with previous CL seasons, it's a big improvement defensively. I said it before, our lack of goals in the CL is what cost us, and this year has been especially bad.

Midfield I think is ok for the moment, especially with Naka around until end of season it seems. We're pretty strong there when without injuries with Naka, McGeady, Brown, Crosas, Maloney, Robson, Hartley and hopefully Mizuno to come into the squad. A decent left back would have me happy enough with the back line with Wilson, Hinkel, Caldwell, McManus to also choose from. Would like to see more of Caddis and O'Dea though.

Upfront we do need another striker. Get rid of Killen, possibly Hutchinson and try spend the majority of the budget on a striker with some sort of pedigree. Eastern Europe would be the place to look given our budget I suppose, but we definitely need to add firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Alright folks, first post in the Soccer Forum so be gentle, what about Ben Hutchinson? Don't think we need a new striker just yet.

Welcome on behalf of the local Bears :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Sorry if i interrupt something,i have a question which was probably asked before but i wasnt find any answer.If Celtic win against Villareal in last round and Aalborg loose in manchester which is expected,who will go to UEFA Cup,is it goal difference who decide or 2 matches between Aalborg-Celtic where danish team has better score?

Sorry if i interrupt something,i have a question which was probably asked before but i wasnt find any answer.If Celtic win against Villareal in last round and Aalborg loose in manchester which is expected,who will go to UEFA Cup,is it goal difference who decide or 2 matches between Aalborg-Celtic where danish team has better score?

Aalborg are in Uefa cup because of there head to head with Celtic.

Oh crap,i thought there is still a chance:(

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

Coz my sig cant be bigger than this otherwise i am gonna be banned or something:D

Coz my sig cant be bigger than this otherwise i am gonna be banned or something:D

Not an excuse, just remove the Man Utd one and replace with:

celticCrest1.jpg

Not an excuse, just remove the Man Utd one and replace with:

celticCrest1.jpg

Pfff no can do:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

so the whole celtic support seem to be on a bit of a downer, me included. bit strange considering our league position and our recent domestic domination over the last 3 years but i read an article on sky sports by charlie nicholas and i thought it explained my feelings(and most of yours i reckon) very well. he wrote it just after the aalborg defeat but i cant find it. anyway news of wilson's contract extension hasnt exactly cheered me up too much. in my opinion i reckon we stick with strachan until the end of the season then change manager. i feel he will walk away at that stage anyway.a foreign manager would be my prefernece, altough i agree they have not proved successful at celtic i think the time has some were a more technically minded manager was in place. heart and soul and bravery etc are no doubt th eopitomy of celtic but i think that only gets u so far, ie: grand domestically, pish in europe. its time we moved up a notch, whether that means having a bad season or twon in the league or not remains to be seen. technically sound players might not be up to the scottish physicallity but are more suited to the champions league. thats my opnion in the current climate anyway. oh and ive just heard roy keane has left sunderland, id take him too!
    prediction for sunday, celtic 2-1

• Advertisement

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    oh and ive just heard roy keane has left sunderland, id take him too!

Oh please God no. I like Keane as much as the next fella, but I wouldn't want him near Celtic as a manager. Two reasons: one, I feel that he played for Celtic more for himself than for any benefit of the club, and two, I don't want a manager who'll walk away from the job when times are getting tough.

I await the slating I'm bound to get.... :D

Just thinking...

Naka signed in 2005 on a 3 year + 1 year option. (the 1 year option was just a way of getting around the FIFA 3 year rule that Webster exploited)
    That would take it up to 2009, after the 1 year option.
    He signed a 1 year extension to his contract in 2006.
    That would take it up to 2010, if Celtic decide to take the option.

Naylor, who Strachan wanted to replace in the summer and who apparently wants to leave, had the 1 year option in his contract activated a few months ago. Basically, they want to get a fee for him in the summer.

So it seems to me that Naka is contract until 2010 if Celtic activate the option. The only reason I could see them not activating it is if they'll let him leave for free as a thank you for his service. Any chance of that?

Oh please God no. I like Keane as much as the next fella, but I wouldn't want him near Celtic as a manager. Two reasons: one, I feel that he played for Celtic more for himself than for any benefit of the club, and two, I don't want a manager who'll walk away from the job when times are getting tough.

I couldn't agree more with you. Prior to him leaving Sunderland today I remember reading an article a few weeks back in The Star I think.It was on about how he would be the right man for Celtic because of his commanding figure, his apparent determination and several other poor excuses. I think today showed us clearly the mans drive. I always like Keano as a player, thought he was excellent but if I'm being brutally honest, I can't stand him personally. He always has an opinion on something. His always yapping on about someone or something that does not concern him. The time of the Cork hurlers strike last year he was giving his points on Setanta and I remember saying to myself, this fella hasn't a clue about the Cork hurlers strike. I'm not saying I know but I wouldn't yap on about it for that reason alone. His far too outspoken for my liking. He has publicly slated his Sunderland players after games this season when they've lost, no manager should ever do that on live television. I wish him well but I hope I don't see him outside Paradise with Lawell sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just thinking...

Naka signed in 2005 on a 3 year + 1 year option. (the 1 year option was just a way of getting around the FIFA 3 year rule that Webster exploited)
    That would take it up to 2009, after the 1 year option.
    He signed a 1 year extension to his contract in 2006.
    That would take it up to 2010, if Celtic decide to take the option.

Naylor, who Strachan wanted to replace in the summer and who apparently wants to leave, had the 1 year option in his contract activated a few months ago. Basically, they want to get a fee for him in the summer.

So it seems to me that Naka is contract until 2010 if Celtic activate the option. The only reason I could see them not activating it is if they'll let him leave for free as a thank you for his service. Any chance of that?

The new contract didnt include the year option. Celtic didnt mention anything about a year option when they announced that new contract and they usually do nor have they mentioned its possibility in the media.

No slating from here Paulo infact couldnt agree more, one of the biggest challenges as Celtic manager is getting quality players in with a limited budget and convincing quality players that Celtic is the right maove for them and it would seem that Keane is lets say not very well qualified in either.

One of he's defences when questioned about the amount of money he had spent was that it was very hard to attract top qualuty to a club like sunderland due to its location so how would he ever be able to convince them to come to the SPL??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

how would he ever be able to convince them to come to the SPL??

Celtic is infinitely more attractive than Sunderland though.

50/50 chance of winning the league every year. Sunderland are relegation candidates.

Always in the CL. Sunderland get knocked out of the Carling Cup in September.

Huge fanbase in Celtic Park every second week.

Des wrote: »
    50/50 chance of winning the league every year.

50/50? Wise up. ;)

Celtic is infinitely more attractive than Sunderland though.

50/50 chance of winning the league every year. Sunderland are relegation candidates.

Always in the CL. Sunderland get knocked out of the Carling Cup in September.

Huge fanbase in Celtic Park every second week.

Ah Des you dissapoint me your almost sounding like a Celtic Fan now, will I put you down for the supporters club (promise i wont tell any of the LOI boys);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ah Des you dissapoint me your almost sounding like a Celtic Fan now, will I put you down for the supporters club (promise i wont tell any of the LOI boys);)

I hate both clubs equally, but a fool can see that it would be easier to persuade a player to go to Celtic over Sunderland.

I hate both clubs equally, but a fool can see that it would be easier to persuade a player to go to Celtic over Sunderland.

Hate is such a strong word Des, especially when your posting on the Celtic thread ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement