Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hate is such a strong word Des, especially when your posting on the Celtic thread ;)

meh, I don't care for the politics of specific threads.

Anyway, I'll bow out now, my point is made.

Ciao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Des wrote: »
    meh, I don't care for the politics of specific threads.

Anyway, I'll bow out now, my point is made.

Ciao.

Who mentioned anything about politics, how would other supporters of any other team re-act if soeone came on their thread and said btw I hate your club :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ah here, it's hardly a secret is it.

:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Heard this on the radio just there:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12/05/gordon-strachan-and-sam-allardyce-battle-to-replace-roy-keane-as-sunderland-boss-115875-20946712/

Only half caught what they were saying, but I thought they said Strachan would be willing to go having failed to secure funding to improve Celtic's team for European footie.

Hopefully it's bollocks. I think he's be mad to go there, but if it's true, and if the bit about him failing to secure funding is true, that would be really bad news. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dempsey wrote: »
    The new contract didnt include the year option. Celtic didnt mention anything about a year option when they announced that new contract and they usually do nor have they mentioned its possibility in the media.
    All I know is that he signed a one year extension. Lawwell travelled over to Japan to sort it out. Unless he was basically just going over the give him a pay rise I'm guessing they added 1 year on top of his previous deal.

"It will be common knowledge that there have been offers for me to play elsewhere and these are always very flattering, but I am delighted to be playing at Celtic, one of the world's biggest football clubs.

"I am also pleased to agree a one-year contract extension with the club."

PauloMN wrote: »
    Heard this on the radio just there:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/12/05/gordon-strachan-and-sam-allardyce-battle-to-replace-roy-keane-as-sunderland-boss-115875-20946712/

Only half caught what they were saying, but I thought they said Strachan would be willing to go having failed to secure funding to improve Celtic's team for European footie.

Hopefully it's bollocks. I think he's be mad to go there, but if it's true, and if the bit about him failing to secure funding is true, that would be really bad news. :(
    Strachan walked out of today's press conference when asked about his long term future. No chance of him leaving mid season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Strachan walked out of today's press conference when asked about his long term future. No chance of him leaving mid season.

But that's precisely the thing that annoys me about him. I like him as a manager, but why not at that point just dispel the rumours straight off instead of playing games? Now he's given the media more speculation, and the fans are left wondering wtf he's gonna do next.

The fact that he didn't just come out and say "no chance" means there's always a chance of him leaving. I hope for the team's sake that at least the players know the score, because Sunday is a very important game for us. A win on Sunday will be a big big step towards 4IAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eirebhoy, my sources are relaible media outlets with Celtic prss officers , yours arent. There isnt a 1 year option, accept it

But that's precisely the thing that annoys me about him. I like him as a manager, but why not at that point just dispel the rumours straight off instead of playing games? Now he's given the media more speculation, and the fans are left wondering wtf he's gonna do next.

The fact that he didn't just come out and say "no chance" means there's always a chance of him leaving. I hope for the team's sake that at least the players know the score, because Sunday is a very important game for us. A win on Sunday will be a big big step towards 4IAR.
    I think we can say for certain that he walked out on the media for evening questioning his commitment to Celtic. If he was thinking about leaving he might have stayed and answered their questions. He just hates the media asking stupid questions and if he was thinking of leaving it would have been a valid question.
    Eirebhoy, my sources are relaible media outlets with Celtic prss officers , yours arent. There isnt a 1 year option, accept it
    oohh whooo. :D:) I was only giving my opinion. I thought you were also giving your opinion. I thought it was pretty clear in my posts that I was only guessing. "All I know", "I'm guessing", "just thinking", "any chance?". So I'm surprised at your very dismissive reply to an ordinary post. ;)

btw, the BBC and the Scotsman to name just 2 think he might have a 1 year option to keep him at Celtic until 2010.

Sorry for the attitude, was drunk :pac:

• Advertisement

Wow Boruc's reputation is falling apart. Another couple of howlers today, one very costly. No longer in the top bracket of goalkeepers unfortunately.

First league defeat in a few months. Crosas badly needed back if we're going to be sticking Caldwell and Hartley in central midfield. McGeady looked bright when he came on.

Boruc has been poor this season, seems to have lost his way. Problem is I'm sure the interest in him is also waining so he won't command the same fee as he did when he signed his new deal. I hope that new contract hasn't been a fatal mistake.

Aside from that, the lack of goals is the problem again. I know the team selection was a bit strange, and I wish WGS would leave Caldwell in defence rather than messing around with midfield and putting Loovens in, but we had plenty of ball in their box and again didn't capitalise. We just don't have enough up front at the moment. Sheridan needs to head back to the bench for the time being, Samaras or JVoH when fit need to start with McDonald, but I think we definitely need another striker option (once we get our left-back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Didn't see the game but having seen the result, all I can say is....

Go Go the Hibees!.:).

Actually thought about having a sneaky bet on this, as the odds for the Hibees were fairly long (at least 5-1) for a home win.

Didn't, but would probably have jinxed the result if I had....

I wouldn't have expected a win given our recent history there, and the fact that Easter Road seems to be cursed as far as Boruc's form goes. I'd have bet on a draw myself, but to not even reply with one goal hurts.

The goal differences of the top two look mighty different this week. :) As there's always the possibility of finishing on the same points as TFOD, we need to get our scoring boots on, and quickly.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I'd pump every penny of the transfer window money to get another striker, even dare I say it, at the expense of a left back. Ok, maybe not quite, but we really need some firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I think this link says it all about Boruc, his commitment to Celtic and his wife. Drop him for a few games and hope he gets his act together.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1945841.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

younge wrote: »
    I think this link says it all about Boruc, his commitment to Celtic and his wife. Drop him for a few games and hope he gets his act together.

I posted something similar a while back, Boruc is becoming a liability. If he was worth 10m at his peak, then surely he is worth no more than 5m now? Hes not a very stable character following on from his revelations he doesnt have ANY mates at Celtic. Thats odd....??

Thought Celtic were a certainty for 4inarow. Not as convinced now, Hearts next wkd is massive now. Hearts are playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Brewster wrote: »
    I posted something similar a while back, Boruc is becoming a liability. If he was worth 10m at his peak, then surely he is worth no more than 5m now? Hes not a very stable character following on from his revelations he doesnt have ANY mates at Celtic. Thats odd....??

Thought Celtic were a certainty for 4inarow. Not as convinced now, Hearts next wkd is massive now. Hearts are playing well.

Sorry didn't know that. Hopefully we'll have Robson back for it. I think his one of our most consistent players every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Everything about our team yesterday is the reason why I want Strachan gone from the club immediately.

Everything about our team yesterday is the reason why I want Strachan gone from the club immediately.

And what of Boruc?

And what of Boruc?

Boruc was dreadful yesterday and it's up for grabs whether he should actually be playing at the mo such is the state his head seems to be in. If we had a decent back-up keeper then he might even have a spell on the bench at the mo. Mark Brown is not good enough though.

What sort of team did Strachan put out yesterday?! He got it absurdly wrong.

Boruc was dreadful yesterday and it's up for grabs whether he should actually be playing at the mo such is the state his head seems to be in. If we had a decent back-up keeper then he might even have a spell on the bench at the mo. Mark Brown is not good enough though.

What sort of team did Strachan put out yesterday?! He got it absurdly wrong.

Bobby, having seen goal on news last night, its right up there with the worst goalkeeping gaffs of all time. The distance the shot was hit from was laughable, I dont know what was more laughable, the guy actually thinking he should shoot or the actual attempted save itself!!

• Advertisement

Boruc is only partially to blame though in fairness. True, he's been poor this season, but I've (personally) even less faith in his replacement. If Boruc is dropped now, he'll need to be dropped immediately and kept out of the game against Rangers.

Lack of goals is costing us, or more specifically strikers not scoring, and piling all the blame on Boruc is avoiding the issue.

When Mark Brown played, we kept clean sheets. He did nothing wrong so he should be given a further chance until there is a better option

Bobby, having seen goal on news last night, its right up there with the worst goalkeeping gaffs of all time. The distance the shot was hit from was laughable, I dont know what was more laughable, the guy actually thinking he should shoot or the actual attempted save itself!!

Agree Brewster that is was a serious co*k up but bobby is right the team that was selected yesterday was a joke and Strachan has to put he's hands up for that, it took nearly three years of mediocrity from Caldwell to finally turn him into a fine centre-half and had been in the form of he's life so what does strachan decide to do put in some donkey instead of him and play Caldwell as a central midfielder it would actually be funny only its so fcukin stupid and if hes going to play Caldwell there what does o'dea have to do to get a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Got to say as a Bear I found wee Chesney's team selection a bit strange and for the life of me I can't see Caldwell as a centre mid.
    In saying that I enjoyed the result :P

younge wrote: »

That's old news...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/740/celtic/2008/11/22/976397/strachan-boruc-can-drink-smoke-and-kiss

"It was his weekend off and he can do what he wants."

Some of Strachan's comments after the Hibs game...

We Should Be Proud of Our Performance Today
    The boys did everything right.
    Never gave Hibs a chance.
    They forced the pace.
    Caldwell was immense in midfield.
    Wilson and Hinkel magnificent.

More reasons to hate the man.

Stoke City weighing up a move for Caldwell in January.

:D So you don't like him then Bobby?

I am baffled by his team selection though, especially with regard to Caldwell and Brown. It's hard enough for ex-players going back to a ground where the fans will be on their backs without being played out of position. Very strange decision to play Caldwell in midfield.

As for the comments, I've come to expect that from Strachan. It's just bull**** for the press. He gets bull**** from them and just gives them barrow loads of it back. He'll know as well as everyone else that our lack of goals is costing us big games.

3 games without 1 single goal from a striker. McDonald hasn't scored in a month. Whatever about Samaras, he has to start ahead of Sheridan, who aside from a bright start, has been very poor overall.

:D So you don't like him then Bobby?

I think any manager in the SPL given the starting point that Strachan had and given the funds that Strachan has at his disposal would have won 3-in-a-row.

I honestly think he's a terrible manager.

I think any manager in the SPL given the starting point that Strachan had and given the funds that Strachan has at his disposal would have won 3-in-a-row.

I disagree completely

He had to reduce the wage bill significantly and have to sign players like Mo Camara and Paul Telfer because of the financial wreck left by MON

What about the 2 Last 16 appearances would the likes of Stephen Kenny have achieved that?

I disagree completely

He had to reduce the wage bill significantly and have to sign players like Mo Camara and Paul Telfer because of the financial wreck left by MON

What about the 2 Last 16 appearances would the likes of Stephen Kenny have achieved that?

He choose to sign that dross no-one forced him to and he's still at it we're now in competition with Swansea for a player ffs and it looks like we're going to loose out aswell :mad:

• Advertisement

Some of Strachan's comments after the Hibs game...

We Should Be Proud of Our Performance Today
    The boys did everything right.
    Never gave Hibs a chance.
    They forced the pace.
    Caldwell was immense in midfield.
    Wilson and Hinkel magnificent.

More reasons to hate the man.

Stoke City weighing up a move for Caldwell in January.
    I'll just pick the one in bold for a full quote on that please. :)

Celtic did force the pace, Hibs placed in the break. Caldwell had a decent game but certainly not immense. And I thought our full backs were excellent again. Proud of the performance? Stupid thing to say and it would say all about the standards at Celtic currently.

Anyway, there's no way Strachan said that bit in bold in the context someone wants us to take it.

Martin O'Neill failed to win the league in his last season. I don't think losing Arvelade's 6 goals made Rangers 18 points worse than Celtic the following season. I can't stand people trying to play down Strachan's achievement of 3 in a row.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill failed to win the league in his last season. I don't think losing Arvelade's 6 goals made Rangers 18 points worse than Celtic the following season. I can't stand people trying to play down Strachan's achievement of 3 in a row.

Great - he won 3-in-a-row but break it down and look at how he did it and look at the dross we beat. We have a much much better starting point than any other team (budget etc...), I know that doesn't guarantee success but we have one title rival and they are at the lowest ebb that I can remember them being at. He has signed sooooo many terrible players, plays his favourites, shocking team selections, clueless in tactics, doesn't know what a sub is, players step in and play incredible... then get dropped (O'Dea, Caddis - even McGeady had to put up with this a couple of seasons ago) even though he says otherwise, players play terrible but don't get dropped (Heid and Hoof at the back)... I could go on and on...

Dempsey - re the wage bill. I would be surprised if it is less now than in MON's last year.

If MON had Strachan's luck we would have won the CL.

Just reading the posts this morning re lack of goals etc and it got me thinking. How do Celtic fans feel about Scott McDonald? Is he turning into yet another one season wonder striker? They come along so often, have a fab first season but then it all goes south afterwards. My Rangers supporting pal was telling me Kenny Miller is one of gers most important players now. Some turn around eh? Were Celtic too quick to get rid of him? Discuss....

Just reading the posts this morning re lack of goals etc and it got me thinking. How do Celtic fans feel about Scott McDonald? Is he turning into yet another one season wonder striker? They come along so often, have a fab first season but then it all goes south afterwards. My Rangers supporting pal was telling me Kenny Miller is one of gers most important players now. Some turn around eh? Were Celtic too quick to get rid of him? Discuss....

Kenny Miller is gash, he's never been anything other than gash. He works well for them as he is an incredibly hard working striker - he is almost a defensive striker!

McDonald is a one season wonder - he is not a great striker (far too greedy) but has the uncanny knack of popping up at the right time in the right place (there is nothing to suggest he won't continue to do this). We are crying out for a decent striker.

Interestingly the more we play Samaras the less likely McDonald is to score imo. McDonald is best acting as a foil to a big man, chasing down knock-ons etc... Samaras's propensity to make runs into the channels will result in less flick-ons meaning less goals.

Kenny Miller wouldn't be the solution to our goal scoring problems. Boyd is a much more important player to Rangers than Miller imo. I don't regret getting rid of Miller.

I was more worried about Rangers having Velicka as I always thought he was a decent player at Hearts. Where the hell has he gone? :confused:

As for McDonald, he's scoring but not enough. We've been unfortunate with injuries upfront and haven't had a settled strike partnership for quite some time now. It's clear to me that we miss JVoH, as Samaras still needs time after his injury spell to get back to the form we saw at the start of the season. Sheridan is not ready for first team starts yet imo, although he'd be a useful sub.

I keep saying it, but I hope and pray we get a striker in Jan.

All that said, I fully expect we'll beat Villarreal tonight. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Kenny Miller has been outstanding for Rangers so far this season, and we honestly missed him while he was out.
    Believe me I am as surprised as anyone to be saying this.

He seems to work perfectly with lazyarse Boyd, and as long as the pair of them work well together we will score goals.

As for Velicka, the "talk" is that he was told when he signed that he would be given untill the new year without being asked to play too regularly. This is supposedly due to the fact that he played around 20 months of football between Hearts and Viking without a break.
    How much this is true i dont know.

I think the best qualities of Boyd combined with those of Miller would produce an excellent player.... Maybe even some JVOH thrown in for good meaure for a bit of a physical presence!!

I've just realised this match is interactive only. Is there anyway plebs such as myself who get their Sky Sports from UPC can watch the match tonight? Normally Setanta and/or STV would show the Celtic games but it appears not to be the case tonight.

• Advertisement

I've just realised this match is interactive only. Is there anyway plebs such as myself who get their Sky Sports from UPC can watch the match tonight? Normally Setanta and/or STV would show the Celtic games but it appears not to be the case tonight.

STV only show Tuesday games Paul, unsure about Setanta but i thought SKY had exclusive rights to Wednesday games.

I reckon your out of luck unless you go to the pub. Or find a decent stream of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

i think that many celtic fans only realise how much we miss big jan when he's not playing. i remember not too long ago there were many people calling for his head, on this forum included. ive always been a big fan on him and look forward to his return. despite sheridans good start hes been very poor recently and its clear he has a lot to learn. would like to see darren get a run out tonight, was talking to him a while ago and looks like he'll be heading out on loan in january, could be a chance to advertise himself to some championship clubs, burnley, cardiff etc.

as for the match tonight, its probably the first time in my LIFE that im not excited for a Celtic game, feels weird....
    still hope we can put on a good show.

So its probably only on Sky Interactive?

Great - he won 3-in-a-row but break it down and look at how he did it and look at the dross we beat. We have a much much better starting point than any other team (budget etc...), I know that doesn't guarantee success but we have one title rival and they are at the lowest ebb that I can remember them being at.
    Rangers lost Arveladze. They also lost Boumsong halfway through their title winning season but also signed Kyrgiakos, Ferguson, Buffel in that window as well as Hemdani, Rodriguez and a few others in the summer of Strachan taking over and a lethal SPL striker in Boyd the following January.

So the squad Rangers had when Strachan beat them by 18 points was not weaker than the squad that won the league in the previous season. Strachan had to replace McNamara, Bellamy, Valgaeren and a few others and his only signifacant buys were Zurawski, Naka and Boruc. As well as Keane and Wilson for half the season but we were miles ahead by then anyway.

The match is on Setanta 1 btw if you don't have Sky Digital.

Haven't been following the coefficients this year but mate tells me we need to win tonight for SPL winners to get automatic qualification in 2 years time (next year's already guaranteed)...

If I say so myself I'm pretty good at predicting Strachan's teams. :D;)

teamvvillarrealmi4.jpg

Very happy with that team. If Crosas was available and had a couple of games under his belt he might have played and that lineup would really excite me then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

1-0 sellik, Maloney.

Suspiciously offside looking i hear...;)

Thanks lads, I'm watching it on Setanta 1.

I refer to this:
    http://www.livesportontv.com/sportindex.php?id=1

which is normally accurate but doesn't show Setanta 1 having the game. I should be watching Kettering v Notts according to that!!

Red card for Villarreal there very harsh I thought. Actually would prefer to play 11 men in this game to be honest.

Strange atmosphere there tonight, looks only half full. The reaction when Maloney scored sounded just like a goal against Falkirk or St. Mirren at home, not a CL goal.

Eirebear wrote: »
    1-0 sellik, Maloney.

Suspiciously offside looking i hear...;)

Not offside in the slightest by the way. :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement