Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

2-0. McGeady.

Delighted obviously, but also makes me more pissed off about the Aalborg games though. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic qualified for the CL with Man Utd, Benfica and Copenhagen. We finished bottom this year. I think I said it before but match for match Celtic have been much better this year than that 06/07 campaign.

Such a pity McGeady, Naka, Maloney and Brown won't get a chance to play in europe together again (if Naka's leaving).

Brown's worth £10m+ no doubt about it. I've been saying it even when his form was poor and I don't think anyone can have any doubts in him when he's performing like he has been this campaign. Brilliant to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Brown's worth £10m+ no doubt about it. I've been saying it even when his form was poor and I don't think anyone can have any doubts in him when he's performing like he has been this campaign. Brilliant to watch.

Sorry there is no way he's worth that. If he's worth that then the likes of Carrick, Barry etc are worth the madness figures of (16 and 18m) that they've been labelled with.

Trilla wrote: »
    Sorry there is no way he's worth that. If he's worth that then the likes of Carrick, Barry etc are worth the madness figures of (16 and 18m) that they've been labelled with.
    It's the madness figures I'm judging him by obviously. Hargreaves £20m, etc. I think a few premiership teams would pay £10m for Brown.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Poor Nakamura.... not even left yet and Eirebhoy has moved onto a new love already. :D

Brown has definitely improved over last season, no doubt about it. He's matured as a player big time. Where's all the yellow cards this season as well? ;) Seems to have his temper under control.

£10m? Who knows, sounds excessive, but in EPL terms, maybe not. I'm just glad he's finally proving to be worth what we paid for him.

Naka is my MOTM at the moment, his passing is brilliant tonight, where was that Naka earlier in the campaign? Brown and Caldwell are both playing great. We really missed McGeady when he was out and it looks like he was never injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

10 Million?!

I'll have some of what Eirebhoys drinking thanks!

Sure, hes hitting a wee bit of form justnow, but he has only been doing it for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A tad optimistic at £10m! Very cold night to be sitting on your arse watching a game that had no bearing of the positions in the group

PauloMN wrote: »
    Poor Nakamura.... not even left yet and Eirebhoy has moved onto a new love already. :D
    :)
    Naka is my MOTM at the moment, his passing is brilliant tonight, where was that Naka earlier in the campaign?
    Clear choice for motm tonight. The thing about Naka is though, you can write him off playing like that against the likes of Man Utd because Celtic are a couple of levels below them and just don't see anywhere near enough of the ball. Even in the 1st half in Spain a couple of months ago I remember thinking Naka was playing very well. He probably played as well then but with half as much of the ball. He needs the ball and needs to be playing in a good team to play to the best of his ability. I think I must have said it about a hundred times but I believe he'd do well playing for the best football teams in the world, that's his level and that's what suits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Think Hinkel deserves a special mention aswell, he was awesome tonight and has been one of our most consistent performers all season

Eirebear wrote: »
    10 Million?!

Sure, hes hitting a wee bit of form justnow, but he has only been doing it for a few months.
    Nothing to do with his form. I've been saying all this about Brown for ages now. Even when Celtic fans doubted him at the end of last season and all through the summer. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind he's a class act. I know some players can give a false impression of themselves playing on a cloud of confidence but I don't think Brown gets too affected by confidence.

I've been trying to find some posts to back up what I'm saying but it's tough. :) I did rate him highly before he's even joined though:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53251127&postcount=444

And just to back myself up that I defended him through his bad form:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/single/?p=2347506&t=537769

He's been brilliant for us in the CL since he joined...
    Excellent at home to Aalborg, certainly 2nd half, and scored a good goal which was wrongly ruled out.
    Probably our best player in Villarreal.
    Wasn't bad in Old Trafford.
    Played very well at home to Man Utd.
    Our best player in Denmark.
    And top 3 players tonight.

Last season...
    Decent in both Spartak games.
    Very good game at home to Milan.
    McGeady was unanimous choice for motm at home to Benfica but Brown was next best imo.
    Excellent game at home to Shaktar, dominated the Celtic midfield.
    And away to Milan I thought he was best player after the 2 centre halves.

So that's a lot of good performances in just 2 Champions league campaigns.

If Hargreaves can go for £20m then definitely Brown is worth £10m now imo. And I'm sure Strachan wouldn't be tempted by a fee which doesn't come close to that.

• Advertisement

So anyway, I think we have to stick to this 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Maloney, McGeady and Naka are too good to be sitting on the bench. There's bound to be goals with the 3 of them on the pitch, as much as 4-5-1 looks more defensive on paper than a 4-4-2. And I wouldn't play Maloney up front either as he's nowhere near his best in that position.

So anyway, I think we have to stick to this 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Maloney, McGeady and Naka are too good to be sitting on the bench. There's bound to be goals with the 3 of them on the pitch, as much as 4-5-1 looks more defensive on paper than a 4-4-2. And I wouldn't play Maloney up front either as he's nowhere near his best in that position.

Well our goals are coming from midfield at the moment, so no arguments there. Nothing from the strikers again today - ok, we only had a single striker on for most of the match given that Samaras came off for McDonald, McGowan came on late, and McDonald himself was only on for 10 mins, but Samaras just isn't doing it in the big games at the moment.

We should go for this or a very similar team for Hearts at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Think Hinkel deserves a special mention aswell, he was awesome tonight and has been one of our most consistent performers all season

100% Agreed, been playing very well but no kudos from the fans which is a little disappointing tbh

Dempsey wrote: »
    100% Agreed, been playing very well but no kudos from the fans which is a little disappointing tbh
    He's been getting heavy praise for weeks now.

KDS motm 2008/2009

25-Oct-08 Celtic 4-2 Hibernian SPL Brown S - Hinkel - Sheridan
    29-Oct-08 Killie 1-3 Celtic CIS McGeady - Brown - Caldwell
    02-Nov-08 Hearts 0-2 Celtic SPL Robson - Brown S - Hinkel
    05-Nov-08 Celtic 1-1 Man Utd CL Caldwell - McManus - Brown S
    08-Nov-08 Celtic 2-0 Motherwell SPL Brown S - Hartley - McDonald
    12-Nov-08 Celtic 3-0 Kilie SPL Sheridan - Donati - Hinkel
    16-Nov-08 Hamilton 1-2 Celtic SPL Hartley - Brown S - Robson
    22-Nov-08 StMirren 1-3 Celtic SPL Hinkel - Nakamura - Samaras
    25-Nov-08 Aalborg 2-1 Celtic CL Robson - Caldwell - Brown S
    29-Nov-08 Celtic 1-0 ICT SPL Hinkel - Hartley - Nakamura
    07-Dec-08 Hibernian 2-0 Celtic SPL Hinkel - Wilson - Maloney

And will no doubt make the top 3 players after tonights game. So that's 7 top 3 votes in the last 12 games (included 3 motm's). Not bad for a right back!

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8044344/1

Dempsey wrote: »

Was in my top three on the KDS MOTM thread also, along with Naka and McGeady. I think the fans appreciate him big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

10 Million?!

Just like Boumsong and Cuellar???!!!

Just like Boumsong and Cuellar???!!!

And Hutton!

Cuellar performed for a full season, as for the other two i reckon we got amazing deals.

Was in my top three on the KDS MOTM thread also, along with Naka and McGeady. I think the fans appreciate him big time.
    McGeady's good things were very good but he lost possession too much imo. Brown was definitely one of the top 3 influential players of last night imo. For me it was;

1. Naka
    2. Brown
    3. Hinkel

Maloney, McGeady and Wilson then all had good games. The game past Hartley by and it showed in the overall team performance.

Celtic to bid £5m for Bellamy in Jan according to this:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1093817/Celtic-target-5m-West-Ham-striker-Bellamy.html

Personally I'd like to have him back around. He's a bit off the wall but I think he could really do a job for us and I enjoyed his short spell with us a few years back.

Of course, it's probably complete bullsheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Any other rumours about transfers in Celtic so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Ah i thought they will for change try to bring someone more experienced and not to keep taking some kids around

Didn't see yesterday's game but when I heard Celtic were poor you know who I guessed would have been motm? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Didn't see yesterday's game but when I heard Celtic were poor you know who I guessed would have been motm? ;)

Paul Hartley:rolleyes: I'll watch tomorrow on Celtic Tv and keep an eye on Mr. Brown.

We've just signed some 18 year old left back I think...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Im surprised talk of Aiden McGeady leaving Celtic is not bigger news on the forum? Is it media rubbish?

Brewster wrote: »
    Im surprised talk of Aiden McGeady leaving Celtic is not bigger news on the forum? Is it media rubbish?

How many spats has he had with Strachan now? I make it 428.

Nothing much to say about it other than I think if he doesn't go in Jan, he will in the summer. I just wonder how much he'll go for, probably not as much as Hutton, Cuellar or Craig Gordon did - which is criminal - but that's the climate out there right now.

Edit: I should probably add that I would be gutted to see him leave, if that wasn't obvious from previous postings about him.

McGeady just has that "annoying little brother" type character which is why I think he can infuriate certain people. If Strachan critisises him McGeady will have no problem answering back if he feels he's in the right. That would make the blood boil just because McGeady has that character. We saw Lennon go for him after a match a couple of years ago for answering him back.

I'm sure Strachan treats McGeady more harshly than he does Naka or Maloney but that's just life. Alex Ferguson wouldn't have kicked a boot at a player he had a lot of respect for. So I'm sure they both have some part to blame for what seems to be constant rows.

If the story about the half time row at the Rangers game is true I'd blame Strachan for that. He was supposed to have shouted at McGeady for not putting enough effort to track back for the Rangers goal. I'm sorry but McGeady tracks back as much as any player and doesn't deserve to be shouted at for one incident. It's only natural for McGeady to answer back. Any player would but as I said, most players wouldn't have been shouted at in the first place.

Seems like it's true.

Also seems like one or the other might be for the off in January.

I'm praying it's Strachan.

• Advertisement

Some glowing praise from Samaras for McGeady.

Last Sunday's Tribune:

Samaras was so impressed by McGeady in the victory over Villarreal that he applauded him off the field when he was substituted.

"He can provide that extra-special spark you need on big European nights. He could play anywhere in the world, for any club. He is a player who can produce magic moments. He is unique. We had one Maradona, we had one Zidane. There is only one McGeady."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Some glowing praise from Samaras for McGeady.

Last Sunday's Tribune:

Samaras was so impressed by McGeady in the victory over Villarreal that he applauded him off the field when he was substituted.

"He can provide that extra-special spark you need on big European nights. He could play anywhere in the world, for any club. He is a player who can produce magic moments. He is unique. We had one Maradona, we had one Zidane. There is only one McGeady."

I think Samaras needs to concentrate a little more on he's own game than trying to be some sort of PRO for the CSC

Well said PremierStone.... Placing McGeady in the same sentence as Maradona and Zidane is madness!

I can understand why Samaras would say such a thing to endear himself to the faithful, but Bobby do you actual believe the sentiment expressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suddenly sounds like he's a gonna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Suspended for two weeks so he'll miss the Huns game and maloney is out injured as well. FfS!!:mad:

Eirebhoy, i reckon those poll results may be changing a little bit!

I cant wait to see how celtic fans react towards strachan if things dont go his way on the 27th :eek:

Suspended for two weeks so he'll miss the Huns game and maloney is out injured as well. FfS!!:mad:

Fair play to Celtic. Not privy to what went on, but McGeady has always struck me as an arrogant little so and so. Bout time someone brought him down a peg or two. I wouldnt worry re the 27th, McGeady was AWOL during the last OF game from what I can remember.

Eirebhoy, i reckon those poll results may be changing a little bit!

I cant wait to see how celtic fans react towards strachan if things dont go his way on the 27th :eek:

Won't change my opinion either way. Think it's time for him to go.

Fair play to Celtic. Not privy to what went on, but McGeady has always struck me as an arrogant little so and so. Bout time someone brought him down a peg or two. I wouldnt worry re the 27th, McGeady was AWOL during the last OF game from what I can remember.

So, you are not privy to what went on but still decide to praise one side in the row. Very odd.

I wouldnt worry re the 27th, McGeady was AWOL during the last OF game from what I can remember.
    Stop trying to wind people up (this is the Celtic thread after all). If you said he was awol regularly against Rangers you might have a point.

• Advertisement

(this is the Celtic thread after all).

Ah come on now, its not like you to play that card EB. I seem to remember this thread was much busier as the SPL thread if you want to be like that.

So, you are not privy to what went on but still decide to praise one side in the row. Very odd.

I wasnt in the dressing room to hear the exact words that were said, but reading between lines it wouldnt take a brain surgeon to figure out what happened. The manager is always right. End of story. Its not a matter of taking sides or otherwise.

Stop trying to wind people up (this is the Celtic thread after all). If you said he was awol regularly against Rangers you might have a point.

Eirebhoy, all im saying is that it might be a blessing in disguise. Im not trying to wind up anyone in making this statement. He was posted missing in the August OF game, so hopefully Robson will be back for you. He wont go missing when the tough gets going, thats for sure!

McGeady needs to be taught a lesson, it will make him grow up and he will be a better footballer as a result and Ireland will hopefully reap benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Ah come on now, its not like you to play that card EB.
    I think reported 1 post in my years on this site. This was it:
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Thank f*ck Celtic didn't get into the UEFA Cup. After that disgrace of a performance against Utd at Parkhead, the last thing football needs is another Rangers getting to the final.

I wouldn't have reported that post if it was in another thread because people can slag off Celtic all they like on neutral threads. That's the only reason I brought up that about it being on the Celtic thread.

I don't even think Brewster's comment would be fit for the SPL thread because I just think it will only result in an argument and surely he has the sense to realise that.

"Bougherra was pretty rubbish the last time he played Celtic so Rangers might be better off without him on the 27th"

^^ maybe it's just me but that's a childish comment and that's how the McGeady one comes across.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You've lost me here. :) Who's the culprit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

You've lost me here. :) Who's the culprit?

maybe its bobo tryin to get some attention off him :P

I think reported 1 post in my years on this site. This was it:

I wouldn't have reported that post if it was in another thread because people can slag off Celtic all they like on neutral threads. That's the only reason I brought up that about it being on the Celtic thread.

I don't even think Brewster's comment would be fit for the SPL thread because I just think it will only result in an argument and surely he has the sense to realise that.

"Bougherra was pretty rubbish the last time he played Celtic so Rangers might be better off without him on the 27th"

^^ maybe it's just me but that's a childish comment and that's how the McGeady one comes across.

Its got nothing to do with you reporting posts Eirebhoy, i think your taking me out of context.
    Ive slagged off Celtic in this thread, the SPL thread and in its previous life as the Celtic thread. I would be dissapointed if you pulled that one with me TBH.

Childish or not, Brewster made a point and to be fair McGeady didnt do much in the last old firm game.

If were going to get so precious about "The Celtic Thread" it will become just like any of the bog standard English team threads with their petty to-ing and fro-ing to the mods, thats where this one was always different.

I'm happy to go and use a Rangers related forum for really letting loose on Celtic, as you guys do on KDS The Huddleboard etc. This forum was always good for chatting with generally decent football fans about both halfves of the divide.

Its got nothing to do with you reporting posts Eirebhoy, i think your taking me out of context.
    My point about reporting a post was only to show why I brought up "this is the Celtic thread after all". Make any biased, childish comments you want about Celtic outside of this thread but there's only a few people that regularly contribute to this thread and we're not neutrals.
    Eirebear wrote:
    Childish or not, Brewster made a point and to be fair McGeady didnt do much in the last old firm game.
    So that means we're not going to miss him on the 27th? The strangest logic I've ever heard. It's just filled with bias and childishness imo and is only going to wind people like me up.

It's that specific comment only. I don't pick people up on all their comments the are aren't pro-Celtic. Jesus we've had many debates about Nakamura but I've never accused you of being childish or trying to wind me up.

Saying a player played badly in 1 game means he won't be missed in another game is just a stupid comment and as I said, you're not going to have Rangers fans wanting Bougherra dropped because he wasn't at his best at Celtic park. If any Celtic fan said that and wasn't joking I'd think he was a childish WUM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ive always thought the people in this thread seing as it is still basically the SPL thread as there is no rangers etc one got along very well tbh.

What price tag do you think McGeady could command ? swear i heard on SSN Bayern (bullplop probably) were sniffing about him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement