Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What price tag do you think McGeady could command ? swear i heard on SSN Bayern (bullplop probably) were sniffing about him.
    I'd say Strachan would accept £7-8m for McGeady definitely but I think he might sell for more because clubs would be willing to pay more. I'd say he'd sell for around the £10m fee in the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eirebhoy wrote: »

Jesus we've had many debates about Nakamura but I've never accused you of being childish or trying to wind me up.

Exactly why im surprised you played the "Celtic thread" card, Brewster may be a win up merchant, but at the end of the day what he said about McGeady wasnt exactly damning was it?

What price tag do you think McGeady could command ? swear i heard on SSN Bayern (bullplop probably) were sniffing about him.

Seemingly Bayern confirmed interst yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd say Strachan would accept £7-8m for McGeady definitely but I think he might sell for more because clubs would be willing to pay more. I'd say he'd sell for around the £10m fee in the papers.

I used to like the idea of him at Villa (of course there would be the fear of McGeady mk2) and for that price would still welcome the signing but since Milner joined we dont really have the need. Wonder who would though that actually has the money?

if Sunderland had a manager (or Keane) id say them, or maybe even a surprise team like Portsmouth spending their Diarra money. Would be really interesting though if a team like Bayern did come in for him, just to have a member of the irish team playing with a huge club abroad would be intereting,

• Advertisement

I used to like the idea of him at Villa (of course there would be the fear of McGeady mk2) and for that price would still welcome the signing but since Milner joined we dont really have the need. Wonder who would though that actually has the money?

if Sunderland had a manager (or Keane) id say them, or maybe even a surprise team like Portsmouth spending their Diarra money. Would be really interesting though if a team like Bayern did come in for him, just to have a member of the irish team playing with a huge club abroad would be intereting,

I take it you mean Maloney? :p

I actually rate Maloney higher in all honesty, although they are quite different players

Eirebear wrote: »
    Exactly why im surprised you played the "Celtic thread" card, Brewster may be a win up merchant, but at the end of the day what he said about McGeady wasnt exactly damning was it?
    And my reply wasn't either. :)
    Eirebear wrote:
    Seemingly Bayern confirmed interst yesterday.
    The papers said they put a bid in for him recently which was rejected straight away but Schweinsteiger looked like was for the off then. He signed a new contract over the weekend. Unless Ribery is leaving they won't be signing McGeady.

It'll be interesting anyway. I wonder would he move abroad.

Looks like he's not accepting the suspension too. Who does he appeal to though?:confused:

Agent:
    "I can confirm that Aiden has been fined by the club and suspended.

He's shocked, disappointed - and I can say he will be appealing.

He feels that the action is completely unjustified."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I cant believe my comments have created such farore! Everyone knows McGeady is a wonderfully gifted footballer. Most knowledgable football people would acknowledge that when the going gets tough McGeady can be posted missing. Wheres the windup in this folks? I dont understand? Ibrox on the 27th will be a battlefield, there will be no room for passangers. I am justified in saying that McGeady has been a passenger at times, thats all im saying. In this regard, it may not be a big as blow as some Celtic fans seem to think it will be. Talking to my Celtic pal, he said he pick Robson over McGeady at Ibrox everytime. This is his opinion, he is entitled to it. Some will agree, some wont but to accuse me of being childish because of my post is laughable. If you actually think carefully about what I wrote, you might realise what I wrote has some substance to it! Ive said my piece and am happy to leave it at that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I take it you mean Maloney? :p

I actually rate Maloney higher in all honesty, although they are quite different players

whoops yes. I always rated Maloney too just a pity for him Ashley Young developed the way he did, Young left no room for the wee scottish fellah.

And my reply wasn't either. :)

The papers said they put a bid in for him recently which was rejected straight away but Schweinsteiger looked like was for the off then. He signed a new contract over the weekend. Unless Ribery is leaving they won't be signing McGeady.

It'll be interesting anyway. I wonder would he move abroad.

Looks like he's not accepting the suspension too. Who does he appeal to though?:confused:

Agent:
    "I can confirm that Aiden has been fined by the club and suspended.

He's shocked, disappointed - and I can say he will be appealing.

He feels that the action is completely unjustified."

Yeah the "appeal" is a strange one, especially considering the board stated that thye back strachan.

Maybe hes planning on taking it to the Players Union?

• Advertisement

Carew actually said Maloney was always the best player in training. I do think there's only room for 1 of Young and Maloney in the same team without one of them being limited to about half their ability by being played out of position (at least McGeady's equally good on either wing).

That brings me to the match on Saturday. Why on earth does Strachan persist on going 4-4-2 for the sake of having 2 strikers? The performance against Villarreal was perfect. 4-5-1. Maloney, McGeady and Naka from midfield will always pose a goal threat (as will Brown when he has the security of an extra central midfielder). Why move Maloney up front and go 4-4-2? Maloney and McDonald just doesn't strike me as a great partnership. Brown and Hartley just don't play well together in a 2 man midfield. While Naka has proven to be dominate games from central midfield.

4-5-1 suits McGeady, Maloney, Naka, Brown and Hartley down to the ground. It would get the best out of every one of those players. Samaras is off form atm but even still he's great at laying the ball off and keeping moves flowing.

Listening to McGeady's agent it seems his future depends on this appeal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7783858.stm

And if some panel overturn this decision I can't see Strachan accepting him back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Listening to McGeady's agent it seems his future depends on this appeal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7783858.stm

And if some panel overturn this decision I can't see Strachan accepting him back.

I think appealing this is just fuelling the fire. What a pointless waste of time.

Nobody knows what happened exactly, it's all conjecture. But there's a few things to think about.

- Whoever let this leak should be ashamed of themselves. This sort of stuff should be kept within the dressing room to be sorted out internally.
    - Strachan and McGeady are both stubborn characters from what I can see. One is as bad as the other if rubbed up the wrong way. It would seem that Strachan has had it in for McGeady, but another way of looking at it - and McGeady has said this himself before - is that if you are constantly told to improve, it means there is the belief that you can keep getting better. This is a positive thing.
    - McGeady should not be abusive to the manager like it has been reported (if true). The club have to punish such action and as far as I'm concerned have done what they had to do.
    - Strachan needs to take a look at how he manages players though. Again we don't know the details, but it would appear that certain players are blamed more than others for poor performances, and his favourites never seem to be dropped like McGeady has been.

I can't see a good outcome to this, especially with this talk of an appeal. I think McGeady is gone come January, and Strachan will be gone by the end of the season. This could be a big turning point in the league campaign I reckon, but more importantly I think over the last couple of seasons we've blown a chance to have a prolonged period of dominance over a poor Rangers side. We should be looking at beating our 9 in a row, but I fear we're going backwards at the moment, this whole McGeady thing being another body blow.

I'll put my neck on the line here - I reckon whoever wins on the 27th will take the title. Seriously, Rangers have a great opportunity to use this to their advantage.

Strachan is gonna get dogs abuse at the weekend from the away crowd.

FFS, why can't it be Naylor he's clashing with? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

just to have a member of the irish team playing with a huge club abroad would be intereting,

John O'Shea at Manchester United
    Robbie Keane at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Surely this is the final straw for Strachan, the other Celtic players any time I've seen or heard them interviewed have always lavished praise on McGeady and he seems very popular with the other players and now coming up to the biggest domestic game of the season so far and as someone else said this could really be a hugely defining moment in the season Strachan has imo opinion thrown away any chance Celtic had of winning that game, we will now be playing Rangers without Maloney and McGeady and with no striker in form or anywhere near it, so my point is and iv went the long way around making it :D is surely Strachan will have lost the dressing room or at least a large portion of it

PauloMN wrote: »
    I think appealing this is just fuelling the fire. What a pointless waste of time.

Nobody knows what happened exactly, it's all conjecture. But there's a few things to think about.

- Whoever let this leak should be ashamed of themselves. This sort of stuff should be kept within the dressing room to be sorted out internally.
    - Strachan and McGeady are both stubborn characters from what I can see. One is as bad as the other if rubbed up the wrong way. It would seem that Strachan has had it in for McGeady, but another way of looking at it - and McGeady has said this himself before - is that if you are constantly told to improve, it means there is the belief that you can keep getting better. This is a positive thing.
    - McGeady should not be abusive to the manager like it has been reported (if true). The club have to punish such action and as far as I'm concerned have done what they had to do.
    - Strachan needs to take a look at how he manages players though. Again we don't know the details, but it would appear that certain players are blamed more than others for poor performances, and his favourites never seem to be dropped like McGeady has been.

I can't see a good outcome to this, especially with this talk of an appeal. I think McGeady is gone come January, and Strachan will be gone by the end of the season. This could be a big turning point in the league campaign I reckon, but more importantly I think over the last couple of seasons we've blown a chance to have a prolonged period of dominance over a poor Rangers side. We should be looking at beating our 9 in a row, but I fear we're going backwards at the moment, this whole McGeady thing being another body blow.

I'll put my neck on the line here - I reckon whoever wins on the 27th will take the title. Seriously, Rangers have a great opportunity to use this to their advantage.

Strachan is gonna get dogs abuse at the weekend from the away crowd.

FFS, why can't it be Naylor he's clashing with? :D

Gud summary of issues Paul. There is always the possibility that Celtic want to cash in on McGeady by forcing him out in this way. McGeady will still be seen as a hero in supporters eyes. The fact that the board have backed Gordy says it all. In relation to the 27th, you wouldnt need to be a genius to realise that if Celtic win the title is theirs. A draw id say the title is still theirs, and even if Rangers won, I still think the title will end up at Celtic Park. Why? Celtics ability to grind out results and Rangers inability to win away from home.. (Last two results aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    Well said PremierStone.... Placing McGeady in the same sentence as Maradona and Zidane is madness!

I can understand why Samaras would say such a thing to endear himself to the faithful, but Bobby do you actual believe the sentiment expressed?

Of course not.

McGeady has the ability to be an incredibly talented footballer though.

I certainly wouldnt go writing off Celtic's chances of the title lads, even if they lose at Ibrox.

What will be a big factor though, is how this is affecting the dressing room.

We can all speculate as to what happened, what was said, who is right and wrong but the only other people there where the players.

If this causes splits in the team, then it could very well have the same affect on Celtic as the PLG/Ferguson saga had at Ibrox.
    And even now, we dont really know what happened there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The manager is always right. End of story.

Not true, look at Paul LeGuen and Barry Ferguson.

Not true, look at Paul LeGuen and Barry Ferguson.

Disagree Bobby,

There is no way the board of Celtic would allow Strachan to discipline a player if he didnt deserve it. You dont cross a manager. The manager is the boss. End of story. If it was simply a personality clash it would have been sorted out behind closed doors. What McGeady said/did was obviously appalling and he has been rightly punished.

The only other explanation here is that the board/ Strachan want rid of McGeady to bring in funds and seeing as he is their most saleable asset currently and they deliberately pick on the guy to force him out. Hes still a hero in fans eyes. Its one or the other?

To be honest, theres still a chance McGeady will play on the 27th. I think things will be made up and he will be in the squad. Just a gut feeling I have.

• Advertisement

There is no way the board of Celtic would allow Strachan to discipline a player if he didnt deserve it. You dont cross a manager. The manager is the boss. End of story. If it was simply a personality clash it would have been sorted out behind closed doors. What McGeady said/did was obviously appalling and he has been rightly punished.

How do you or any of us know what McGeady said or for that matter what Strachan said to him, all we have is Strachans word for it and thats all the board have either and this would explain why McGeady is appealing the decision so he can put he's side of the case forward and then and only then should the board be in a position to either support Strachan or not

How do you or any of us know what McGeady said or for that matter what Strachan said to him, all we have is Strachans word for it and thats all the board have either and this would explain why McGeady is appealing the decision so he can put he's side of the case forward and then and only then should the board be in a position to either support Strachan or not

Premierstone, please!!

Do you honestly think the Celtic board are going to back their manager without being absolutely sure of the facts involved? Things dont work like that! The Celtic board are 100% satisfied with Strachan's versions of events. Without knowing what was said exactly between too, I would be 100% certain that what McGeady said was out of order. End of story. Are you honestly suggesting Strachan has gone to Celtic board and made up a pack of lies about wee innocent Aiden???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gud summary of issues Paul. There is always the possibility that Celtic want to cash in on McGeady by forcing him out in this way. McGeady will still be seen as a hero in supporters eyes. The fact that the board have backed Gordy says it all. In relation to the 27th, you wouldnt need to be a genius to realise that if Celtic win the title is theirs. A draw id say the title is still theirs, and even if Rangers won, I still think the title will end up at Celtic Park. Why? Celtics ability to grind out results and Rangers inability to win away from home.. (Last two results aside)

Strachan and Caldwell have stated the long term plan of Celtic. Its to keep the best players together so they gain experience together hence all the 5 year contracts bring handed out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dempsey wrote: »
    Strachan and Caldwell

Caldwell? :D

Caldwell? :D

The conspiracy thickens! ;)

All Caldwell seem to be saying there is that Celtic havnt offered him a contract, nothing about 5 year ones certainly.

Hmm, its editted from when I read it. It included comments made about keeping players.

I hate when websites edit their articles!!

Premierstone, please!!

Do you honestly think the Celtic board are going to back their manager without being absolutely sure of the facts involved? Things dont work like that! The Celtic board are 100% satisfied with Strachan's versions of events. Without knowing what was said exactly between too, I would be 100% certain that what McGeady said was out of order. End of story. Are you honestly suggesting Strachan has gone to Celtic board and made up a pack of lies about wee innocent Aiden???

And how can they be sure of the facts, tell me how it works enlightened one :rolleyes: and you been 100% certain that McGeady was out of order really doesnt hold too much weight with me considering you said earlier he's absence on the 27th Dce wont weaken the team :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

got to get my opinion in on this. firstly the manager is not always right. yes he is the boss and should have total control but hes not always right. the reason i think strachan is at fault is as follows: at every club, well most anyway, there is a 'stubborn brat' as they would say. mc geady, altough being one of my favourite players has got a bit of this about him. im sure most of u will agree. but i think its up to the manager to accept this and treat all players in a different way. the notion that all players should be treated the same is rubbish. some people just need to be pulled aside and given quiet word, others need a good shouting at. its the attribute of a good manager to recognise this. the fact that the board support strachan on this case is not even worth a mention in my opinion, they have to support the manager publically, end of. the fact now is that its happened, maybe mcgeady will go, some will be unhappy at this. darren o'dea is moving to leeds in january and aiden being his great mate might be off to england too. strachan will be gona at the end of the year in my opinion, think thats his time up and we need to move on.

And how can they be sure of the facts, tell me how it works enlightened one :rolleyes: and you been 100% certain that McGeady was out of order really doesnt hold too much weight with me considering you said earlier he's absence on the 27th Dce wont weaken the team :eek:

Premierstone, there are are ways and means of finding out these things especially if your Peter Lawell. Perhaps a quick call to other first team players to ask them for their views? Perhaps a call to the kitman to ask him? It wouldn't need Sherlock Holmes intellectual ability to piece together what went on tbh! McGeady and his attitude problem would be well known to the Celtic hierachy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

quote from the official celtic site: ''McGinn shunned interest from England to sign up with his boyhood heroes and was overjoyed to join Celtic.''

what a load of bull****, he clearly stated united were his first team and celtic were his 'scottish team', hardly boyhood heroes.

quote from mc ginn himself: "I was a Manchester United fan as a boy but Celtic were my Scottish team''

Premierstone, there are are ways and means of finding out these things especially if your Peter Lawell. Perhaps a quick call to other first team players to ask them for their views? Perhaps a call to the kitman to ask him? It wouldn't need Sherlock Holmes intellectual ability to piece together what went on tbh! McGeady and his attitude problem would be well known to the Celtic hierachy.

Well tbh imo you are making the same mistake as strachan is and allowing your personal feelings on McGeady affect your judgement and it looks like a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face from strachan, but then again perhaps I am guilty of the same thing and allowing my personal feelings on Strachan affect my judgement, so we'll just have to agree to disagree ;)

I would imagine that a number of the other players who were around when the alleged incident took place were called in by the board for their stories.

I think the club would have to be very sure of an incident and its severity to issue a punishment like it has, so there's no doubt in my mind that what McGeady did was serious.

If that incident was abusing Strachan in front of other players, that is bang out of order.

That does not mean that Strachan is snow white in all of this, and if it transpires that either himself and/or Pendry has been bullying McGeady or treating him unfairly, then they'll both have a case to answer as well.

Either way, it's **** news all round to be honest. We're very possibly looking at the swift exit of one of our best, if not our best player, and the potential exit right in the middle of a season of our manager. I wouldn't like to see McGeady gone at all, and I would prefer if Strachan was in charge until the end of the season for the sake of the league challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I just dont get where the feck is some rich arab guy to buy the club

• Advertisement

I just dont get where the feck is some rich arab guy to buy the club

The board wont sell to one person, they've already stated that last season :rolleyes:

The board wont sell to one person, they've already stated that last season :rolleyes:

I wont ask you to find a newspaper article to prove that dont worry ;):p

TBH, I wouldnt want a rich Arab buying Rangers, and im fairly sure you guys feel the same about Celtic.
    Its all gonna go bust sooner or later in football, and the Chelseas and Man Citys of this world will feel it.

I wont ask you to find a newspaper article to prove that dont worry ;):p

TBH, I wouldnt want a rich Arab buying Rangers, and im fairly sure you guys feel the same about Celtic.
    Its all gonna go bust sooner or later in football, and the Chelseas and Man Citys of this world will feel it.

It was actually this season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7681588.stm

I couldnt resist those smilies :pac:

No but its just,when i see such an club with history,good stadium,best fans probably,nothing worse than any premier league club i dont get why is it not atractive for someone to buy it,maybe coz the scotish league is not that good but on the other hand they are all looking at champions league as some meaning for success so...

I just think Celtic has everything they need but money to become something like United,Pool and other clubs

Well tbh imo you are making the same mistake as strachan is and allowing your personal feelings on McGeady affect your judgement and it looks like a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face from strachan, but then again perhaps I am guilty of the same thing and allowing my personal feelings on Strachan affect my judgement, so we'll just have to agree to disagree ;)

Premierstone, everyone is entitled to their opinion granted. PauloMN has expressed similar views to myself on this issue, Celtic would not impose such a strict punishment without being certain of what went on. I honestly cant see how anyone could come to a different conclusion?

As I expressed earlier, the only other explanation is that McGeady is innocent and Celtic are trying to force him out. I wouldnt rule this out at all at all. Its one of the two premierstone, take your pick??

• Advertisement

I just think Celtic has everything they need but money to become something like United,Pool and other clubs

Rangers..:p

Have you seen Rangers annual report? It doesnt make for good reading and when your manager is talking about selling 10 players in january, you must be worried about the future

I agree.... we would need more money to spend £3.5m on the likes of Lafferty so we could become more like Rangers - even worse than we are. :pac:

As I expressed earlier, the only other explanation is that McGeady is innocent and Celtic are trying to force him out. I wouldnt rule this out at all at all. Its one of the two premierstone, take your pick??

Whatever about the other possibility I think if this is the case then the baord have made a right balls-up of it all they have achieved is knocking a few million off the price tag, what are they selling now - a player with an apparent suspect temperment who has no choice but to leave, if I was a perspective buyer I certainly wouldnt be paying anywhere near what i would of this time last week

In case of huge downfall yes,but i hope that wont happen

Have you seen Rangers annual report? It doesnt make for good reading and when your manager is talking about selling 10 players in january, you must be worried about the future
    The money situation isnt good at all, weve known that for a while.
    Unfortunately it wont change untill Murray quits stalling and finds a buyer.
    I agree.... we would need more money to spend £3.5m on the likes of Lafferty so we could become more like Rangers - even worse than we are. :pac:
    :D To be honest, what we need is a manager who spends 3.5 million on the likes of Lafferty only to play him as a left winger :confused:
    In case of huge downfall yes,but i hope that wont happen

Scottish League

Rangers 51 Celtic 42

Scottish Cup

Rangers 32 Celtic 33

League Cup

Rangers 25 Celtic 13

Total Trophies

Rangers 109 Celtic 89

Huge Downfall you say eh? :P

Scottish League

Rangers 51 Celtic 42

Scottish Cup

Rangers 32 Celtic 33

League Cup

Rangers 25 Celtic 13

Total Trophies

Rangers 109 Celtic 89

Huge Downfall you say eh? :P

Rangers - 1873
    Celtic - 1888

15 years in the difference :pac:

Rangers - 1873
    Celtic - 1888

15 years in the difference :pac:

First League Title:1891 (Shared with Dumbarton) Celtic Competed
    First Scottish Cup:1894 Celtic Competed
    First League Cup:1946 Celtic Competed

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

First League Title:1891 (Shared with Dumbarton) Celtic Competed

wtf?

Did Ranges and Celtic ever share the title?

Des wrote: »
    wtf?

Did Ranges and Celtic ever share the title?

Nah, i think this was the only time it ever happened TBH.

I cant find any facts on it right now, but it was before Goal Difference was brought in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement