Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eirebear wrote: »
    First League Title:1891 (Shared with Dumbarton) Celtic Competed
    First Scottish Cup:1894 Celtic Competed
    First League Cup:1946 Celtic Competed

:pac::pac:

You were still a club long before Celtic. Just because you couldnt win titles until then doesnt change anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Huge Downfall you say eh? :P

Yep,i do:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    You were still a club long before Celtic. Just because you couldnt win titles until then doesnt change anything

Of course it does, especially considering there was no titles to win untill that year!
    Celtic were there from the inception of the scottish football league, therefore had the opportunity to win every title that Rangers did.

Des: From Wkikipedia
    The league was formed in the 1890s to provide the growing number of football clubs in the country with a more consistent fixture list.

In its initial season Rangers and Dumbarton topped the league on equal points. No thought of separating teams by goal average, or goal difference had been considered and the two teams played a play-off to decide the winner. The result of the play-off was a 2:2 draw and both teams were declared joint winners, each taking possession of the trophy for six months. This was only occasion in which the Scottish league was tied. Goal average was only brought in for the 1921/22 season and replaced by goal difference for the 1971/72 season.[1]

And what were Rangers doing before the league was formed?

And what were Rangers doing before the league was formed?

Getting our arses kicked by Queens park every now and then....

Getting our arses kicked by Queens park every now and then....

You guys were playing football tournaments like the Glasgow Merchants and Charity Cup before Celtic was founded, 15 year head start

You guys were playing football tournaments like the Glasgow Merchants and Charity Cup before Celtic was founded, 15 year head start

You were good enough to be third place after a four point deduction (conspiracy theory?:eek:)
    2nd the season afterwards (to Rangers 5th)
    And Champions a year later to Rangers Runners up.

So in all honesty, you argument holds no water.
    The results i could find from those years
    September 1890
    6th, Celtic 1-0 Rangers, Scottish Cup First Round

May 1981
    2nd, Rangers 1-2 Celtic, League

August 1981
    22nd, Celtic 3-0 Rangers, League

January 1982
    4th, Celtic2-0 Rangers, Friendly:eek:

February
    6th, Celtic 5-3 Rangers, Scottish Cup

May
    7th, Rangers 1-1 Celtic, League

All these where taken from Kerrydale Street.com

So to say you couldnt compete with us due to the age difference between clubs is way of the mark mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

In terms of trophies won, I read something a while back that indicated Rangers are the most successful club in World football. Fair play to them, some people might not like them but the facts speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Got to say I always find this excuse laughable :p

• Advertisement

Well I hardly expected Rangers Supporters to agree

:pac::pac:

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

1967-european-cup.jpg

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

PauloMN wrote: »
    1967-european-cup.jpg

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

One season does not a history make my friend.....:p

One season does not a history make my friend.....:p

You would say same if Rangers won it ?

• Advertisement

You would say same if Rangers won it ?

If Rangers won it next year, I'd be drunk for about 6 months.

If Rangers won it 14 years before i was even born, i'd be proud to have it in my clubs history, but i doubt i'd still be celebrating it.

If Rangers won it next year, I'd be drunk for about 6 months.

If Rangers won it 14 years before i was even born, i'd be proud to have it in my clubs history, but i doubt i'd still be celebrating it.

Right;)

I know that wouldnt be so

Red Star Belgrade-European and World champions in 1991.

See,even we made it,do you feel more lousy to be Rangers fan?:P

Right;)

I know that wouldnt be so

Red Star Belgrade-European and World champions in 1991.

See,even we made it,do you feel more lousy to be Rangers fan?:P

Not in the slightest, even I remember when Red Star where a good european side....can't say the same about Celtic ;)

Not in the slightest, even I remember when Red Star where a good european side....can't say the same about Celtic ;)

Dont resort to trolling just because you dont have a european title :pac:

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Oh I'm not still celebrating it, just reminding you of it. :p After all, you were bringing up your 51 Scottish League titles, most of which are a lot older than our European Cup. :pac::pac::pac:

Anyway, the 51 titles that Rangers fans always quote will soon fade into the background when we overtake it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

In fairness I'd take the European Cup over a few more league trophies any day! Celtic will overtake that total in time, no doubt!! 4 in a row sounds nice to me!

believe me,its such a sweet thing to have something like this to tease biggest rival,we do that for 17 years and it can make them really pissed:pac:

Following on from reports this morning, does anyone feel the McGeady situation is going to get really nasty? Talking about appealling all the way to the SFA? Does anybody see McGeady playing again for Celtic? How can Strachan play him if McGeady is taking his dispute all the way to SFA? I think he should have taken his punishment and left it at that. Cant see him winning this one.

Oh I'm not still celebrating it, just reminding you of it. :p After all, you were bringing up your 51 Scottish League titles, most of which are a lot older than our European Cup. :pac::pac::pac:

Anyway, the 51 titles that Rangers fans always quote will soon fade into the background when we overtake it. ;)
    spiderdan wrote: »
    In fairness I'd take the European Cup over a few more league trophies any day! Celtic will overtake that total in time, no doubt!! 4 in a row sounds nice to me!

Meh!. I'd rather be the most continually succesful club in World football, but whatever floats yer boats lads ;)
    believe me,its such a sweet thing to have something like this to tease biggest rival,we do that for 17 years and it can make them really pissed:pac:

Ah yeah, its a nice thing to have no doubt. It was a great achievment by Celtic all those years ago.

But nowadays they tend to just get a little bit like England fans going on about the world cup zzzzzzzzzzz....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Meh!. I'd rather be the most continually succesful club in World football, but whatever floats yer boats lads ;)

Ah yeah, its a nice thing to have no doubt. It was a great achievment by Celtic all those years ago.

But nowadays they tend to just get a little bit like England fans going on about the world cup zzzzzzzzzzz....;)

So are you saying that Rangers have won 51 league title ''recently'' and are ''currently'' the most successful club in world football :confused: got to love double standards :p

So are you saying that Rangers have won 51 league title ''recently'' and are ''currently'' the most successful club in world football :confused: got to love double standards :p

See now your being silly Premierstone, how could we possibly have won all 51 titles recently?

My original point on the amount of trophies won came about because Delija spoke of the history of Celtic and how with some money they could become like Liverpool, Milan etc.

The European cup point inevitably came up, to which i pointed out that won season doesnt make a history.

Basically all i am trying to say is that while Celtic have a great history, and are a massive club but if you really know your history ;) you will see that its not quite as succesful or glorious as that of Rangers :P

Basically all i am trying to say is that while Celtic have a great history, and are a massive club but if you really know your history ;) you will see that its not quite as succesful or glorious as that of Rangers :P

Nice to see you've started your Christmas drinking early :D :P

Nice to see you've started your Christmas drinking early :D :P

After the last couple of results ive had to! :D

After the last couple of results ive had to! :D

Your not on your own there, and the way things are looking its going to get worse before it gets better

• Advertisement

Your not on your own there, and the way things are looking its going to get worse before it gets better

Heres hopin'! :p

"Glorious", "history" and "Rangers" are not words that would readily spring into my mind together I must say....

"Glorious", "history" and "Rangers" are not words that would readily spring into my mind together I must say....

In Scottish football terms its as glorious as youll get Paul.

Gentlemen, the season of goodwill is just around the corner! Be nice to one another and all mankind...

In Scottish football terms its as glorious as youll get Paul.

:D

Brewster wrote: »
    Gentlemen, the season of goodwill is just around the corner! Be nice to one another and all mankind...

Ach, EB knows I'm only joking. Goodwill is the order of the day, until the 27th anyway.

Then it'll be meltdown on here again!!!! :D I love this thread!

Ach, EB knows I'm only joking. Goodwill is the order of the day, until the 27th anyway.

Then it'll be meltdown on here again!!!! :D I love this thread!

lol, all in good spirit dude, thats what its all about.

Untill the 27th..... :D

You know you are wrong you no we don't have a european cup but we do have a european title :p

lol, all in good spirit dude, thats what its all about.

Untill the 27th..... :D

Whats on the 27th :confused: ........... theres hardly a big game is there? Sure WGS would hardly suspend he's best player if there was a big game coming up, would he??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Whats on the 27th :confused: ........... theres hardly a big game is there? Sure WGS would hardly suspend he's best player if there was a big game coming up, would he??

The old firm at ibrox man, get with the programme!

You are joking are'nt you :confused:

younge wrote: »
    The old firm at ibrox man, get with the programme!

You dont do sarcasm then i guess :D

You are joking are'nt you :confused:

Yes of course I am, seriously there should be a sarcasm smilie :rolleyes: :D

lol, ya pair of eejits!

Yes of course I am, seriously there should be a sarcasm smilie :rolleyes: :D

Phew thats a relief did'nt want to think anyone could be that dumb :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

0-1 tbh:D

0-1 tbh:D

I'll be happy to get throught the hibs game first before worrying about celtic in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm liking the recent activity in this thread. Keep it up! :)

I'm also liking the busy transfer activity behind the scenes at Celtic.
    CELTIC are preparing to bid for Bosnian midfield star Semir Stilic after running the rule over him again last night.

Gordon Strachan dispatched chief scout John Park to Holland to watch the 21-year-old Lech Poznan player in Uefa Cup action against Feyenoord.

And the SPL champions are now weighing up a £2million bid to land him during the January transfer window.

The Celtic manager has already received glowing reports about the goalscoring midfielder and is also thought to have watched several DvDs of the player.

And his decision to instruct Park to take one final look at Stilic in an indication that he is seriously considering bringing him on board.

Park would have been further impressed by the midfielder as he helped his team defeat the Dutchmen 1-0 to qualify from their Uefa Cup group. Stilic played for 70 minutes and impressed throughout.

It's now believed the Parkhead club will move swiftly to sound out Stilic's representatives before putting an official offer on the table to the Polish outfit.

A source close to the player revealed: "Celtic have now watched Semir several times.

"There is interest from several English clubs but there is no doubt Celtic are in pole position. The Celtic chief scout, John Park, has been speaking to his representatives on a regular basis and has told them they are now looking to sign him in January."

Strachan is also targeting a string of other talent from around Europe as he looks to improve his squad next month.

Hungarian international Szabolcs Huszti has been linked with a move to the Parkhead club as a possible replacement for Aiden McGeady.

The 25-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and is thought to be looking to quit Bundesliga club Hannover 96 on a Bosman.

CSKA Sofia defender Ivan Ivanov, who has only recently forced his way into the Bulgarian national team, is being linked with a £400,000 move to Parkhead.

Alexander Tomov, CSKA president, said: "We are aware of Celtic's interest towards Ivanov. We are waiting for their offer."

The Hoops have also had Croatian Under-21 stopper Igor Prahic on trial and the player now claims only a work permit is standing in the way of securing a future at Celtic.

He said: "My agent has told me I have a good chance of getting one."

However, one player who won't be moving to Celtic is Norwegian left-back Erlend Hanstveit, who has been told he didn't do enough during his trial spell to win a deal.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2476312.0.celts_plot_stilic_move.php

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Celtic also linked with Dundee keeper Zaluskas.

Bit of word going round that mcgeadys ban is set to be reduced to a week.
    No link just a reliable source from Kerrydalestreet

Does anyone know anything about these players and if they are any good or just a smoke screen for other bull

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement