Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about these players and if they are any good or just a smoke screen for other bull

Zaliuska (Sp?) was on the news earlier saying that he was in talks with Celtic after turning down a contract at Utd.
    Good keeper, could spell the end of Boruc.

Rangers seemingly linked with Martin Stranzl of Spartak Moscow, while Darcheville looks like joining Valenciennes.
    Imagine having Sebo and Darche as your strike force!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Does anyone know anything about these players and if they are any good or just a smoke screen for other bull
    Never seen any of them or even heard of them. Stilic has been linked for a while though. Prahic is in the Croatian papers saying he just needs to sort out permit. Ajax were also interested.

Bellamy says Celtic can't afford him.

"I have been with Celtic and I like Celtic a lot - everybody knows that I had a great time there.

"But when was the last time Celtic paid £7million for a player?

"When was the last time Celtic went to the wages that I am earning at West Ham?

"I know the chief executive Peter Lawwell very well. I've spoken to him and I know that he would like to have me there and I would like to go there one day.

"But if we are all being realistic, and living in the real world, it's never going to happen."

He'd be 30 next summer so too old for an injury prone player who relies heavily on pace. In fact, Naka has probably more years left in him at the highest level than Bellamy and he looks to be heading back to Japan.

In other news, Barca are letting Sylvinho go in the summer and he says Celtic have offered him a 2 year deal. He'll study his options and make a decision next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

John Hughes and Barry Ferguson are giving the impression in interviews that McGeady will be playing. Anyone think this is a rouse or just McGeady appealling and the suspension is being delayed until then?

John Hughes and Barry Ferguson are giving the impression in interviews that McGeady will be playing. Anyone think this is a rouse or just McGeady appealling and the suspension is being delayed until then?

I think its more a case of them saying that they wont bank on him NOT playing, that it doesnt affect their plans for the games and they would prepare for it in the same way as they would if he does play.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

No of us really now whats happening behind the scenes right now but I can't see McGeady playing under Strachan again. Apparently the board have fully backed Strach without hearing both sides of the story. Fair f**ks to McGeady going to Sfa and so on about it. Hope it works out for him. I wouldn't be one of the many Strachan haters among the fans but I would like to see a change at the end of the season maybe. New manager, new ideas.

Eirebear wrote: »
    I think its more a case of them saying that they wont bank on him NOT playing, that it doesnt affect their plans for the games and they would prepare for it in the same way as they would if he does play.

Probably

but these sort of comments are strange, no?

Hughes -

'aiden mcgeady will play on sunday, all our training has been with that in mind, trust me, aiden will play'......

Press Conference, sorry no link

Bawbag -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/7790721.stm

Its like they aint falling for it :confused:

younge wrote: »
    No of us really now whats happening behind the scenes right now but I can't see McGeady playing under Strachan again. Apparently the board have fully backed Strach without hearing both sides of the story. Fair f**ks to McGeady going to Sfa and so on about it. Hope it works out for him. I wouldn't be one of the many Strachan haters among the fans but I would like to see a change at the end of the season maybe. New manager, new ideas.

You've kinda believed a rumour there :pac:

I didnt realise they were being quite so blatant about it, maybe they know something we dont?

Mind you it wouldnt surprise me, Celtic have played the "He's injured.....oh wait no he isnt" card for years! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

It wouldnt surprise me at all at all. Cant see Strachan giving away too much in his interview either!

• Advertisement

McGeady's not going to play on Sunday, not a chance. We'll see what happens after that though.

Anyway, poster on KDS:
    bit of a rumble that we're not interested in sylvinho as of this week because misun was so impressive as soon as they clocked him in training and if he's not quite ready to play straight away he will be a first pick by the start of next season

Lennon says Misun was class in a trial match, the best player on the pitch. The club didn't waste any time signing him up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

When you look back to them dropped points home and away to Aalborg it just a killer,
    what makes it worse is that Villareal got drawn against Panathanaikos.
    Bst chance we were ever gonna gte to make last 8:(

**** it

Here we go four in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

No point for crying about what could happen,but to look what we can do about next chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Probably

but these sort of comments are strange, no?

Hughes -

'aiden mcgeady will play on sunday, all our training has been with that in mind, trust me, aiden will play'......

Press Conference, sorry no link

Bawbag -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/7790721.stm

Its like they aint falling for it :confused:

Can't see Strachan rowing back at all on his decision to suspend McGeady, he would lose too much face and a man as arrogant as Strachan couldn't stand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Kris Boyd got a second half goal for the huns. A one nil victory at Ibrox isn't very convincing though. Would anyone there agree that Rangers only play anybit good against Celtic? They're nothing special most games.

Kris Boyd got a second half goal for the huns. A one nil victory at Ibrox isn't very convincing though. Would anyone there agree that Rangers only play anybit good against Celtic? They're nothing special most games.

lol, i take it you havnt seen any of the game, or any of the reports on it?
    Seemingly it was 1 going on 5 nil dude. Hibs never had a look in.

And considering this team is the one that beat you lot 2-0 a couple of weeks ago, and going on our curent form, i would suggest that any win is a decent result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Careful. I got a warning for using the H word.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No, they are not anything special. In fact, they're gash. Problem is, we're pretty gash as well, we've got strikers who aren't scoring, two of our best midfielders are out for the Rangers game among the other injuries.

We need a win tomorrow, as I just don't think we're going to get a win at Ibrox in our current situation. I'd jump at the chance for a draw to be honest. I hope we don't concede sloppy goals like we did in the first game this season.

Hopefully January will see us a stronger side. I think the Zaluska transfer would be a great move for all parties if it comes off, I think he has the potential to be as good as Boruc was last season and the season before. Assuming we get Misun, it sounds like we might have a solution to our left-back problem, at least for next season anyway. McGinn and this other winger Huszti if we get him will be other options, along with Mizuno, which we'll need if McGeady is out the door.

Next summer should be interesting. We'll be free of Balde which should free up enough cash for the wages of 2, maybe 3 new players. Personally I think the Balde contract has caused a lot of problems for us over the last couple of transfer windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Careful. I got a warning for using the H word.

Oh dear me poor you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

FT Falkirk 0 - 3 Celtic

48' [0 - 1] G. Samaras

90' [0 - 2] K. Mizuno

90' [0 - 3] S. McDonald

Looks like cracking at the last moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

waiting to watch the match on channel67 as dont have setanta on sky and internet was that bad live streaming was a nightmare :-(

great to see hoops picked up the result to get 4 points ahead again of rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Big Chief wrote: »
    waiting to watch the match on channel67 as dont have setanta on sky and internet was that bad live streaming was a nightmare :-(

great to see hoops picked up the result to get 4 points ahead again of rangers

Not a bad attempt at humour but don't give up the day job :P

Great debut for Mizuno. He looks really good and you'd never have known he was a right footer on todays performance. He'll make it, no doubt.

So the big one on Saturday. I'd snap up a draw now if offered. Probably go 4-5-1 with Hartley back in. One things for sure, if Hartley plays it has to be a 4-5-1.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

McDonald was excellent today. Working flat out for the 90 minutes. I thought he looked so much better than he has of late. Delighted with the goals - two from strikers who'd not scored in a long time, and one for Mizuno on his first start.

Mizuno's goal was well finished under pressure. Thought he was a bit quiet in the first half, but really came into it 2nd half. I agree he looks good, seemed to also cope well with the ****e conditions. Naylor looked decent as well :eek: but Samaras still needs to improve - missed a couple of sitters.

Injuries doubtless cause problems, but they can also force fringe players into the team. O'Dea was a case in point and I thought he did very well, great clearance for the Falkirk goal that almost was!

Worried about Brown though, seems to have slipped back a bit into mediocrity. Himself and Caldwell were only average I thought - excusible for Caldwell but not so for Brown. I hope he can gain a bit of form by next weekend!

As for next weekend, I'll go for a draw. Will be interesting to see what the team sheet looks like given how many injuries we have. Strachan said he was down 9 players either injured or just recovering - presume he was including McGeady in those 9, but I wonder how many of those will be back. I guess the 9 would be:

JVoH
    Maloney
    McGeady
    Crosas
    McManus
    Hartley
    Robson
    Wilson (?)

Not sure who he's counting as the 9th.... Donati? Killen?

Robson will be a key player next week imo. I hope he's fit for it. Would also hope that McManus is fit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Paulo, Robson is a super player any time ive seen Celtic play. Very under rated to be honest, not the best player in the SPL quite clearly, but I tell you what, he doesnt half have a huge big heart.

I posted on here before that Robson is a more important player than McGeady for Ibrox. Some people ridiculed me, I tell ya all, I stand by it. Yeah McGeady can create something with a piece of magic but he is equally likely to go missing in the game as he has done many times in the past in big games, but Robson will run for 90+ mins and is always likely to create something also.

Didnt see game today, I will watch next Sat though. Should be a good game.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Worried about Brown though, seems to have slipped back a bit into mediocrity. Himself and Caldwell were only average I thought - excusible for Caldwell but not so for Brown. I hope he can gain a bit of form by next weekend!
    Interesting as I thought Brown played well and voted him 3rd in the motm behind McDonald and Mizuno. I thought he started moves off from deep and also did very well defensively. I think a lot of Brown's performances are judged on how many successful driving runs he makes with the ball. It wasn't that type of performance but Brown and Caldwell certainly had the better of the midfield which hasn't been the case when Hartley has played with Brown this season.

So....Rangers fans are to be arrested if they dare to sing the hokey cokey eh?

'Tis the silly season alright! :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5375697.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5375699.ece

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...cle2060575.ece

Those links don't work EB, I get 404s on all of them.

Maybe it's just as well.... ;):D

Oh by the way, I guess some of you might be offline over the next week or so, so if you are, Happy Christmas to you all.

I'll be around anyway for the Celtic thread meltdown on the 27th. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

McDonald was excellent today. Working flat out for the 90 minutes. I thought he looked so much better than he has of late. Delighted with the goals - two from strikers who'd not scored in a long time, and one for Mizuno on his first start.

Mizuno's goal was well finished under pressure. Thought he was a bit quiet in the first half, but really came into it 2nd half. I agree he looks good, seemed to also cope well with the ****e conditions. Naylor looked decent as well :eek: but Samaras still needs to improve - missed a couple of sitters.

Injuries doubtless cause problems, but they can also force fringe players into the team. O'Dea was a case in point and I thought he did very well, great clearance for the Falkirk goal that almost was!

As for next weekend, I'll go for a draw. Will be interesting to see what the team sheet looks like given how many injuries we have. Strachan said he was down 9 players either injured or just recovering - presume he was including McGeady in those 9, but I wonder how many of those will be back. I guess the 9 would be:

JVoH
    Maloney
    McGeady
    Crosas
    McManus
    Hartley
    Robson
    Wilson (?)

Not sure who he's counting as the 9th.... Donati? Killen?

Robson will be a key player next week imo. I hope he's fit for it. Would also hope that McManus is fit for it.

Crosas was on the bench iirc but i think had just come back in time.

McDonald looked very good, nice to see the usual him back again. Samaras as usual missed a few sitters and even gave up on a few passes it looked like he should have got to:rolleyes:

Mizuno did look good, better than what i seen of him for Japan during the summer anyway, all he did was miss a penalty:)

Those links don't work EB, I get 404s on all of them.

Maybe it's just as well.... ;):D

Oh by the way, I guess some of you might be offline over the next week or so, so if you are, Happy Christmas to you all.

I'll be around anyway for the Celtic thread meltdown on the 27th. :pac:

Should work now Paul.

And a Happy Christmas, a rubbish 27th, and a Great New Year to you too!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why on earth would they want to sing that song anyway?

Kills two birds with one stone I suppose. If they feel it'll offend Catholics, they'll sing it. They might modify the lyrics for a bit of racism as well for Koki Mizuno, ala "Nakamura ate my dog".

You know what they're like.

I've no idea, the closest ive heard to it is "Oh **** yer Holy Goalie".

it just sums up how ridiculous things are in the west of Scotland though.

Kills two birds with one stone I suppose. If they feel it'll offend Catholics, they'll sing it. They might modify the lyrics for a bit of racism as well for Koki Mizuno, ala "Nakamura ate my dog".

You know what they're like.

Ah come on now Paul, i had a catholic upbringing, i learned the hokey cokey at school......

Am i to believe that it was evil protestants who had subverted our young minds at that tender age in order to brainwash us for the future?

When politicians are getting involved in this sort of bull**** its well out of order IMO, i mean come on.....the hokey cokey.....really....?

Ah come on now Paul, i had a catholic upbringing, i learned the hokey cokey at school......

Am i to believe that it was evil protestants who had subverted our young minds at that tender age in order to brainwash us for the future?

When politicians are getting involved in this sort of bull**** its well out of order IMO, i mean come on.....the hokey cokey.....really....?

:D

I never said I agreed with it!! I think it's pretty daft to be honest, and have never known the Hokey Cokey to be anything other than a kids song.

But you know and I know that this will be the new Famine song that they can "get away with" - depending on which selection of lyrics makes the final cut. ;)

:D

But you know and I know that this will be the new Famine song that they can "get away with" - depending on which selection of lyrics makes the final cut. ;)

TBH if they have any sense they will just sing it as the words are, dont mess about with it and it should highlight just how ridiculous tho whole thing is.

Judge: Would the defendant please stand.
    William Williamson, how do you plead to these charges of singing Hokey Cokey in a public place?
    :confused:

Why are people getting infractions for using the word "hun"???

It is about as offensive as using the term "Tim" for a Celtic fan, "Manc" for a Utd fan or "Scouser" for a Liverpool fan.

Personally i find the term "hun" offensive, but it depends on the useage in all honesty.

Celtic fans quite happily call themselves "Tims", its a completely different thing.

• Advertisement

Personally i find the term "hun" offensive, but it depends on the useage in all honesty.

Celtic fans quite happily call themselves "Tims", its a completely different thing.

Do you really find it offensive?

On what grounds? (I'm not trying to turn this into a slinging match (nor will I), I am genuinely interested in your point of view - and others.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

William Williamson

LOL at King William Williamson

I see the anti-Celtic brigade are out in force today in the "Your most Controversial Soccer opinions" thread. What a bunch of сunts.

Do you really find it offensive?

On what grounds? (I'm not trying to turn this into a slinging match (nor will I), I am genuinely interested in your point of view - and others.)

Its a derogatory term Bobby, no more no less.

Supposedly it came about after the war years, when it would be regularly sung on the terraces from fans of teams up and down the country "Go home ya huns", in reference to the nickname used by the allied forces when talking about the Germans, the Nazi's.

Celtic fans have kept it on long after this fad died down for other clubs as a term for Rangers fans.

There is nothing acceptable about it for a Rangers fan to call himself a hun, and you will very, very rarely find anyone do so.

Now i'm sure you can pick holes in this, because im fairly sure you are already aware of the connotations of the term so ill finish with this, i am not completely offended by it every time someone uses it, but sometimes i feel it can be overused on this forum.

I see the anti-Celtic brigade are out in force today in the "Your most Controversial Soccer opinions" thread. What a bunch of сunts.

And it wasnt me! I was too busy being anti-liverpool seemingly.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Not that you have to justify yourself or explain yourself to anybody but just out of curiosity what made you support Rangers Eirbear (Im assuming you moved to Glasgow later in life)?

And it wasnt me! I was too busy being anti-liverpool seemingly.....:rolleyes:

Ach I know that EB. Anyway, if you came on and said "I hate Celtic", I wouldn't mind in the slightest. Why? Because you post on here all the time, get involved and give your opinions on stuff.

What you don't do is just randomly post crap about hating teams for no reason, or assuming someone is a scumbag because of a football top.

It drives me mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Its a derogatory term Bobby, no more no less.

Supposedly it came about after the war years, when it would be regularly sung on the terraces from fans of teams up and down the country "Go home ya huns", in reference to the nickname used by the allied forces when talking about the Germans, the Nazi's.

Celtic fans have kept it on long after this fad died down for other clubs as a term for Rangers fans.

There is nothing acceptable about it for a Rangers fan to call himself a hun, and you will very, very rarely find anyone do so.

Now i'm sure you can pick holes in this, because im fairly sure you are already aware of the connotations of the term so ill finish with this, i am not completely offended by it every time someone uses it, but sometimes i feel it can be overused on this forum.

Its definitely derogatory...in a the same way people calling spurs fan spuds or ManU ManUre or when fans call their rivals "the filth" or "the scum" is derogatory.

Nothing sectarian about it though.

Babybing wrote: »
    Not that you have to justify yourself or explain yourself to anybody but just out of curiosity what made you support Rangers Eirbear (Im assuming you moved to Glasgow later in life)?

Nah i was born in Glasgow, i moved to Ireland at the age of 9 and my family still live there. I moved back to Glasgow about 18 months ago for personal reasons

My old man is a bluenose (BroxiBear_Eire) so i guess it came from there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tbh Its not anti-celtic but anti the idiots who often wear Celtic jersies because of the image they think it projects instead of football reasons. These people arent real Celtic fans and real Celtic fans i would imagine would love if there was a way to distance the club from these people and their muppetry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement