Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Babybing wrote: »
    Its definitely derogatory...in a the same way people calling spurs fan spuds or ManU ManUre or when fans call their rivals "the filth" or "the scum" is derogatory.

Nothing sectarian about it though.

No more sectarian than anything is in the West of Scotland! (See the hokey cokey for example!)

The difference with "Huns" and "Tims" for example though is that while "tims" can obviously be used as a derogatory term, it doesnt have its roots that way, and is quite happily used by Celtic fans as a general term for themselves.

These people arent real Celtic fans and real Celtic fans i would imagine would love if there was a way to distance the club from these people and their muppetry.

Unfortunately you can swap the "celtic" for the name of just about any club in the world..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Eirebear wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can swap the "celtic" for the name of just about any club in the world..

that is true although in Ireland Celtic Jersies are often worn as symbols by (idiots) people who want to portray themselves as 100% Irish (anti-english tbh) even though the club itself is Scottish. This is not obviously as common with people wearing jersies from other clubs as not many clubs have the historical/religous devide as Celtic/Rangers ie one beiong seen as Irish the other English when both are actually Scottish. These people as I said arent real celtic fans and it is unfortunate that they exist because if it werent for them celtic would have IMO one of the best fan reputations going afterall you always hear great things about Celtic fans that travel away in europe etc, but then again they are real fans not wannabe hardmen from Dublin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Indeed, but try telling some of the... ahem... people on this forum that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

PauloMN wrote: »
    Indeed, but try telling some of the... ahem... people on this forum that.
    C'mon Paul that would mean they would have to use some common sense :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Crosas played the 90 minutes today for the reserves so he's back fit for the first team. Doubt his first top flight start in over 2 months will be coming against Rangers but he should be back in the team for January thankfully. Hutchinson scored again. 13 goals in the reserve league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

the celtic jersey percepsion is definately the thing that annoys me most about supporting celtic. when i see scumbags wearing the hoops it makes me angry, i bet they dont even know anyone who plays for us....eh henrik larsson would be a response id expect. my own mates even slag me joking about wearing my jersey even though they know im a 'real' fan.

good win yesterday, good to see the lads who came in do well. wonder if o'dea will still head to leeds in jan now that mcallistar has been sacked and theat he might be set for a run in the team. really looking forward rto saturday, i think a win would seriously dent rangers mentality for the next month or so.

that is true although in Ireland Celtic Jersies are often worn as symbols by (idiots) people who want to portray themselves as 100% Irish (anti-english tbh) even though the club itself is Scottish. This is not obviously as common with people wearing jersies from other clubs as not many clubs have the historical/religous devide as Celtic/Rangers ie one beiong seen as Irish the other English when both are actually Scottish. These people as I said arent real celtic fans and it is unfortunate that they exist because if it werent for them celtic would have IMO one of the best fan reputations going afterall you always hear great things about Celtic fans that travel away in europe etc, but then again they are real fans not wannabe hardmen from Dublin.

I can completely understand where your coming from, after all we have the notorious "plastic paddy" issue in Scotland.

I find it hard to agree with the historic/religious divides though as all over the world there are examples of football clubs becoming symbols of political ideals, or class divides.
    Barcelona and Real Madrid for example, or Roma and Lazio.

Unfortunately this one is a problem which affects two very small countrys in Scotland and Ireland therefore it seems to engulf every little aspect of life.
    (again i point to the great hokey cokey debate!)

And while i also feel that sometimes on this forum Celtic fans, much like Liverpool fans ;), are a little quick to jump on the defensive.. i do understand there issues when these people get associated with them and their club.

Thats a bit all over the place, hopefully it makes some sense....:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I find it hard to agree with the historic/religious divides though as all over the world there are examples of football clubs becoming symbols of political ideals, or class divides.
    Barcelona and Real Madrid for example, or Roma and Lazio.

made sense and tbh I think we are in complete agreement plus I only mentioned the Celtic/Rangers historic/religous divides as that I think is the thing that the idiot jersey (not real fans)wearers latch onto and why they supposidly identify with Celtic and its their jersey they wear as apposed to say a Sundeland jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Personally i find the term "hun" offensive, but it depends on the useage in all honesty.

Celtic fans quite happily call themselves "Tims", its a completely different thing.

mmmm dont find most offensive including hun.. but im from glasgow and cant say i agree with the above statement

tims is a bit like "gers"

hun is more around the grounds of "fenian"..

can we cup the crap talk and get back to talkin about the hoops though.. so fkin sick of listening to this crap when i have to talk about celtic, its bloody football team, same as any other and this CRAP needs to come to a stop............ :(

• Advertisement

Big Chief wrote: »
    mmmm dont find most offensive including hun.. but im from glasgow and cant say i agree with the above statement

tims is a bit like "gers"

hun is more around the grounds of "fenian"..

and again, depending on which side of the divide you stand "fenian" is not always derogatory.

Hun however is ALWAYS derogatory, it is an insult.

Gers is a shortened version of Rangers, nothing offensive, or even relevant in that to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Its a derogatory term Bobby, no more no less.

Supposedly it came about after the war years, when it would be regularly sung on the terraces from fans of teams up and down the country "Go home ya huns", in reference to the nickname used by the allied forces when talking about the Germans, the Nazi's.

Celtic fans have kept it on long after this fad died down for other clubs as a term for Rangers fans.

There is nothing acceptable about it for a Rangers fan to call himself a hun, and you will very, very rarely find anyone do so.

Now i'm sure you can pick holes in this, because im fairly sure you are already aware of the connotations of the term so ill finish with this, i am not completely offended by it every time someone uses it, but sometimes i feel it can be overused on this forum.

Would you agree that there's no religious connotation to the term?

Would you agree that there's no religious connotation to the term?

Originally i dont think there was any religious connotations to it.

Unfortunately its like everything else in this god forsaken part of the world, it gets turned and used to mean something religious/political.

Its all about context i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

tbh Its not anti-celtic but anti the idiots who often wear Celtic jersies because of the image they think it projects instead of football reasons. These people arent real Celtic fans and real Celtic fans i would imagine would love if there was a way to distance the club from these people and their muppetry.

Paulo, as you will know from my previous postings I would be 100% in agreement with this. I guess thats why a significant number of Irish people cannot fully embrace Celtic as a club because of their association with idiots that wear Celtic jerseys as a sign of their anti Britishness. However, being xmas week I dont want to start a slagging match!

Brewster wrote: »
    . However, being xmas week I dont want to start a slagging match!

Xmas week?

I think you will find its Old Firm week Brewster! :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Xmas week?

I think you will find its Old Firm week Brewster! :D:P

Two reasons then not to start a slagging match!!

The now annual 60 minute interview with Strachan:
    http://www.clyde1.com/Article.asp?id=623527&spid=24537

Here's hoping for a good game tomorrow and no trouble between the fans
    I am going for 2-1 to the Gers (Boyd/Miller) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Here's hoping for a good game tomorrow and no trouble between the fans
    I am going for 2-1 to the Gers (Boyd/Miller) ;)

Have some faith in us man will you! :rolleyes: Here's to a 2-1 Celts result!

younge wrote: »
    Have some faith in us man will you! :rolleyes: Here's to a 2-1 Celts result!
    I have faith in my team mate look at my name 2-1 the Gers :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Very cold winters morning here, -4c outside.

Looking forward to this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Man, that was one awefull game of football. Barry Robson was very good, everyone else on both teams were god awful. It was a very very nagative game.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

What a result! I'm off to the pub to celebrate!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

i think we'll all agree it was a great game, but i think we showed more desire to win the game, the defence won header after header. rangers ran out of ideas. the 7 point gap and the phsychological advantage should be enough for us to claim 4 in row now. at that point i think strachan would walk.

Great goal today, really happy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BAcy287tkmk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anyone gonna start giving Strachan a break now?

Poor game but it was on a frozen pitch and tbh a lot of flair players would have been eaten up in that game. Delighted with that result though.

Well Done lads, Celtic took their chance where we squandered ours and as much as i am dissapointed with certain other aspects of the game i suppose thats what it all comes down to.

Well Done lads, Celtic took their chance where we squandered ours and as much as i am dissapointed with certain other aspects of the game i suppose thats what it all comes down to.

Well you guys were certainly on top for long periods of the game. Should have had a peno (handball) and a good save from Artur kept the game scoreless.

I thought we coped with your high balls into the box with ease and you played into our hands with that. McManus needs to be run at by players, pumping high balls in is playing to his strengths.

It's rare that we win a game with only about 3/4 players having a good game (Brown, Boruc, McManus and Caldwell - for their headers alone. Robson had a good second half). I honestly thought we were dire in the first half and you guys were well on top, your lack of firepower up front killed you though. Broadfoot at centre half??? Do you not see how bad he is???

Great goal from McDonald though, taken very well.

• Advertisement

Incidentally...

(From another website...)

People at game today might've noticed that their fans had a banner with a big red bus (the offended bus as they put it) driving towards a road sign saying Stranraer (how witty?!)

They unveiled it today. What they didn't realise though is one of their group -Blue Order- told us of their plans so we made a similar banner to show them up.

Our bus was green and yellow and was driving towards a 4-in-a-row road sign

They were fuming and promptly pulled their banner away to chants of Hahahaha from the Celtic support

This was after we dished out 7000+ bags of confetti which made a nice wee mess

Their banner... (note the usual racist undertones)

25p6duf.jpg

Our banner...

8y4xhw.jpg

It's rare that we win a game with only about 3/4 players having a good game (Brown, Boruc, McManus and Caldwell - for their headers alone. Robson had a good second half). I honestly thought we were dire in the first half and you guys were well on top, your lack of firepower up front killed you though. Broadfoot at centre half??? Do you not see how bad he is???

Great goal from McDonald though, taken very well.
    With or without his goal, McDonald was contender for motm imo. I thought at the time he was excellent before he scored his goal.

On the ball that was the worst I've seen Brown in a long time but he more than made up for it with his work off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

dfu9s7.jpg

bobbysands81,Check out the guy holding on to their banner, his face is priceless, guess he just saw the GB banner unveiled. :D:D:D

eirebhoys wrote: »
    dfu9s7.jpg

bobbysands81,Check out the guy holding on to their banner, his face is priceless, guess he just saw the GB banner unveiled. :D:D:D

Saw that on another message board as well - fantastic!!!

Incidentally...

(From another website...)

People at game today might've noticed that their fans had a banner with a big red bus (the offended bus as they put it) driving towards a road sign saying Stranraer (how witty?!)

They unveiled it today. What they didn't realise though is one of their group -Blue Order- told us of their plans so we made a similar banner to show them up.

Our bus was green and yellow and was driving towards a 4-in-a-row road sign

They were fuming and promptly pulled their banner away to chants of Hahahaha from the Celtic support

This was after we dished out 7000+ bags of confetti which made a nice wee mess

Their banner... (note the usual racist undertones)

25p6duf.jpg

Our banner...

8y4xhw.jpg

Plase explain where you see these racial undertones Bobby :confused:

I was wondering that too. I'm guessing he means the paddy hat on the bus driver. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Get on a bus to Stranraer so you can go home to Ireland? Are you two serious in saying you cannot see the racist undertones in that?

Personally I don't mind the banners like that tbh. Doesn't bother me, but if you cannot see the message there, you are totally missing the point of it.

What do you think it means?

Just back from a 1 week ban by the way. Poor game the other day, good result from a great goal though. Broadfoot still thinks he's a rugby player I see.

The pitch was woeful, they seemed to have way overdone it with the watering pre-match. Mizuno seemed to spend the game just slipping. The pitch didn't help the game at all.

Get on a bus to Stranraer so you can go home to Ireland? Are you two serious in saying you cannot see the racist undertones in that?
    Didn't cop on to that that. I thought the fact I didn't cop on to it was pretty obvious in my reply. :) Never actually got a ferry to Scotland before.

It's actually pretty obvious now looking back at both banners what Stranraer was a reference to. Should have guessed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I didnt get it either as I fly to Prestwick when going over.

But anyway, would people call the saying/song "where in Ireland is Glasgow?" racist? There was loads of Ireland flags at Ibrox on Saturday. I certainly wouldn't be offended by that and the same goes for any similar songs towards Sunderland if they had've grown a huge support over here. To me that banner is about as offensive as that, not offensive to me anyway.

It is feckin obvious what this banner was trying to achieve. I take it in a light hearted way but come on!

Thousands of Celtic fans travel on the ferry to Celtic Park (especially Stranraer)
    Tens of thousands of Scots with Irish heritage/ancesters/backround came to Scotland on the ferry/by boat (especially Stranraer)
    The only thing Stranraer is famous for is the ferry to Ireland!
    O'ffended is a parady of Irish surnames

• Advertisement

The pitch was woeful, they seemed to have way overdone it with the watering pre-match. .

Especially when it was -2c, what did they think would happen to the water!

Plase explain where you see these racial undertones Bobby :confused:

Why do you think the bus is going to Stranrear??? Do you really think it was for any other reason than to tell us to go home???

O'ffended??? Another oblique reference???

Come on pal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Why do you think the bus is going to Stranrear??? Do you really think it was for any other reason than to tell us to go home???

O'ffended??? Another oblique reference???

Come on pal...
    I'd love to see the day when one of these Rangers fans stands up and admits something their fans do is racist

The main thing is that the Celtic fans keep the hard-earned respect they have in general by not fighting fire with fire. The bus-ted banner was a brilliant response to their go home banner.

Another thing I missed out on was the O'ffended bit. Still doesn't offend me though that Rangers fans slag off the Irish links. That's to be expected with any rivalry tbh. No way would I class that as racist. Obviously it's going a bit far when having a joke about the famine though.

The stick James McCarthy gets just because he chose to play for Ireland is racist (or whatever the correct term is) imo. He would not be getting booed if it was another country.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Another thing I missed out on was the O'ffended bit. Still doesn't offend me though that Rangers fans slag off the Irish links. That's to be expected with any rivalry tbh. No way would I class that as racist. Obviously it's going a bit far when having a joke about the famine though.

The stick James McCarthy gets just because he chose to play for Ireland is racist (or whatever the correct term is) imo. He would not be getting booed if it was another country.

You have a point eirebhoy but the thing people forget it's not only Gers fans who give him stick he gets it off every club except of course his own and the Tic fans rightly or wrongly many people are disgusted by his choice For myself I could'nt give a feck who he plays for

I don't agree with that. I've seen McCarthy play a couple of times and he got no abuse (Dundee Utd, Aberdeen). There's plenty of teams in the SPL that would have an anti-Irish element anyway. I'm absolutely certain that if this guy was half Scottish/Jamaican and he chose to play for Jamaica at the age of 15 while relatively unknown, he wouldn't be getting booed by Scottish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Is Crosas back at all lads?

He's back but Strachan didn't want to risk him in the first team until he got a couple of games in the reserves. If last Saturday's game was against any other SPL team he would have played. He played the last half hour for Cataluna against Colombia the other day and should definitely play some part against Dundee Utd on Saturday.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. I've seen McCarthy play a couple of times and he got no abuse (Dundee Utd, Aberdeen). There's plenty of teams in the SPL that would have an anti-Irish element anyway. I'm absolutely certain that if this guy was half Scottish/Jamaican and he chose to play for Jamaica at the age of 15 while relatively unknown, he wouldn't be getting booed by Scottish fans.

Well we will have to agree to disagree I only see Hamilton on the telly but every time they have been on he has had stick as I also said could'nt care less who he plays for

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement