Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He's back but Strachan didn't want to risk him in the first team until he got a couple of games in the reserves. If last Saturday's game was against any other SPL team he would have played. He played the last half hour for Cataluna against Colombia the other day and should definitely play some part against Dundee Utd on Saturday.

I actually watched the Catalunya vs Colombia game, Bojan scored a beautiful counter attacking goal. Crosas came on when Catalunya was 2-0 up so he didnt need to make much of an impact, he was solid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Happy New Year to you all :D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Happy New Year all from Paul!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

...and a Hoopy New Year to you too mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Heard that McGeady didnt even make the bench, he'll be just watching this one.

Interesting that Bazza could be on the move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

CELTIC: Boruc; Wilson, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor; Nakamura, Hartley, Brown, Robson; Samaras, McDonald

Subs: Fox, O’Dea, Crosas, Loovens, Vennegoor of Hesselink, Mizuno, Caddis

Dundee Utd back from 2-0 down to 2-2. We've been rubbish since going 2 up. Our luck with Hartley in midfield could well run out. There's only so much sitting back and letting the opposition play we can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Can't believe how easily Celtic threw that away. Clearest sign that the rift between McGeady & Strachan is here to stay. McGeady will be gone this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The stick James McCarthy gets just because he chose to play for Ireland is racist (or whatever the correct term is) imo. He would not be getting booed if it was another country.

In fairness, the celtic fans at lansdowne don't mind slagging off Rangers players when they line out for their country. Even if it's actually tha wrong player!

• Advertisement

Celtic fans slagged a Rangers player because he plays for Rangers. McCarthy does not play for Celtic so it is not 'in fairness'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

So Celtic fans slagging off Rangers players at an Ireland match: ok
    Rangers fans slagging of a Irish player at a Scottish match: not ok
    Seems to me they're as bad as each other.
    Don't get me wrong, I have experience with Celtic and Rangers fans and Rangers are 10 times worse. But booing any players at a totally unrelated match is wrong no matter who does it.

So WTF has Celtic got to do with Rangers fans booing McCarthy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Quint wrote: »
    So Celtic fans slagging off Rangers players at an Ireland match: ok
    Rangers fans slagging of a Irish player at a Scottish match: not ok
    Seems to me they're as bad as each other.
    Don't get me wrong, I have experience with Celtic and Rangers fans and Rangers are 10 times worse. But booing any players at a totally unrelated match is wrong no matter who does it.

It's football! A player can get booed for million of different reasons some as dumb as can be but, .. its football so it's expected.

younge wrote: »
    It's football! A player can get booed for million of different reasons some as dumb as can be but, .. its football so it's expected.

:eek:
    Whats this?!

Common sense?!

I seriously think its time we got over this McCarthy thing lads, i mean come on, players have been boo'd all over the world for other ridiculous reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Eirebear wrote: »
    :eek:
    Whats this?!

Common sense?!

I seriously think its time we got over this McCarthy thing lads, i mean come on, players have been boo'd all over the world for other ridiculous reasons.

To be fair, Scottish lads who play football in Ireland don't get boo'd here.
    There's a wealth of difference between the 2 countries - this McCarthy thing is only a minor demonstration as to why Scotland is years behind the rest of the world when it comes to dealing with Sectarianism and associated hatred.

If you think it's bad here, it's 100 times worse and more ingrained in society there.

Blackjack wrote: »
    There's a wealth of difference between the 2 countries - this McCarthy thing is only a minor demonstration as to why Scotland is years behind the rest of the world when it comes to dealing with Sectarianism and associated hatred.

If you think it's bad here, it's 100 times worse and more ingrained in society there.

There is a sectarianism issue in scotland!?

What really? :eek:

Jeez Blackjack point out the obvious why dont you?
    There will always be one untill people in Scotland realise that its a two sided problem.

But in all honesty, im sick to the back teeth of discussing it on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Dissapointed with todays result but come the end of season a point could prove crucial, it's good to see Dundee Utd go and play at the Old Firm grounds with a bit of luck they might push Rangers for second spot, the cup semi final will be very tough in a few weeks i can see it going to penalties.

I havent seen any football in the last 10 days im in Chicago and can only access the computer for a little bit every day, seen Mcdonalds goal tho on youtube;)

But in all honesty, im sick to the back teeth of discussing it on this thread.

then why bother replying to it when it's discussed?.

then why bother replying to it when it's discussed?.

Thankyou for that grown up and thought out insight into the whole thing.

I think youll find my only reply to the whole thing was basically a nod of agreement to someone elses comment.

• Advertisement

Thankyou for that grown up and thought out insight into the whole thing.

What really?

Jeez Blackjack point out the obvious why dont you?

Pot, Kettle.

Quint wrote: »
    In fairness, the celtic fans at lansdowne don't mind slagging off Rangers players when they line out for their country. Even if it's actually tha wrong player!
    When that wrong player was booed at Lansdowne it was the majority of the crowd booing so obviously most of them hadn't a clue what they were booing for as most of them weren't Celtic fans. When politicians and the like came out and asked to stop booing Rangers players before the Australia game it worked. There wasn't a boo to be heard when Muscat touched the ball. So I think all that was taken way out of proportion. It was banter more than anything.

Anyway, coming up to half time in Inverness and still 0-0. Pretty boring last 20 minutes or so.

Cracker from Mendes. 0-1 Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Any truth in the rumor that McCarthy is on strackens list this window?

Pot, Kettle.

:o

Any truth in the rumor that McCarthy is on strackens list this window?

Who does stracken manage again?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dempsey wrote: »
    Who does stracken manage again?

Think it's Keltik. Top of the Skottish Premier League they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

only 100 miles up the road it's just as bad, if not worse. 'neil lennon rip' if i remember correctly, the sash and no surrender clearly belted out at linfield and glentoran games. we may be behind the rest of the world when dealing with sectarianism in scotland, but it's also a lot closer to your own doorstep than you claim. even so, sectarianism it may be in scotland, this was never an issue in italy, russia, spain, germany to name a few where it would be fascism and/or racism.

poindexter wrote: »
    only 100 miles up the road it's just as bad, if not worse. 'neil lennon rip' if i remember correctly, the sash and no surrender clearly belted out at linfield and glentoran games. we may be behind the rest of the world when dealing with sectarianism in scotland, but it's also a lot closer to your own doorstep than you claim. even so, sectarianism it may be in scotland, this was never an issue in italy, russia, spain, germany to name a few where it would be fascism and/or racism.

I was referring to Ireland as in the Republic of Ireland. It may be close to home, but Northern Ireland is politically a different country as far as I am concerned.

And you're absolutely right, it is Racism as opposed to Sectarianism.

I was referring to Ireland as in the Republic of Ireland. It may be close to home, but Northern Ireland is politically a different country as far as I am concerned.

And you're absolutely right, it is Racism as opposed to Sectarianism.
    it's still the same island, and many would say the same country (mabye just when it suits though:rolleyes:). whatever way u wanna view the north of ireland, it is still part of your country, just look at ur rugby team, and there is as much sectarianism there as there is in scotland. a lot in scotland don't have a clue why they are booing aiden mcgeady, neil lennon or james mccarthy, it just seems as the cranberries put it, everyone else is doing it, so...............

• Advertisement

it's still the same island, and many would say the same country (mabye just when it suits though:rolleyes:). whatever way u wanna view the north of ireland, it is still part of your country, just look at ur rugby team, and there is as much sectarianism there as there is in scotland. a lot in scotland don't have a clue why they are booing aiden mcgeady, neil lennon or james mccarthy, it just seems as the cranberries put it, everyone else is doing it, so...............

Many would say Northern Ireland is the same country, I wouldn't. If you can point out where I've stated differently, please feel free to do so.

And what Sectarianism are you on about in Rugby?. If this exists in Northern Ireland or the Ulster team, then I'll refer you again to the earlier statement.

Sectarianism this side of the border is nowhere near as bad as it is North of it or in Scotland.

Getting off topic now.

Many would say Northern Ireland is the same country, I wouldn't. If you can point out where I've stated differently, please feel free to do so.

And what Sectarianism are you on about in Rugby?. If this exists in Northern Ireland or the Ulster team, then I'll refer you again to the earlier statement.

Sectarianism this side of the border is nowhere near as bad as it is North of it or in Scotland.

Getting off topic now.
    all i'm saying is the north and south are one and the same to me. i never meant sectarianism in rugby, i'm only stating how they are classed as the one country and people are more than happy for that to be the case. so to me, sectarianism does exist in ireland, not only in scotland where some claim are 100 years behind the rest of the world.

off topic indeed. here's hoping teh Bhoys have their sights firmly set on a left back and a solid CB or two

all i'm saying is the north and south are one and the same to me. i never meant sectarianism in rugby, i'm only stating how they are classed as the one country and people are more than happy for that to be the case. so to me, sectarianism does exist in ireland, not only in scotland where some claim are 100 years behind the rest of the world.

off topic indeed. here's hoping teh Bhoys have their sights firmly set on a left back and a solid CB or two

Northern Ireland is about 300 years behind the rest in that regard, but that's a different thread altogether.

As regards the football, the Edinburgh Derby was not a very exciting game - Riordan should have made more with the opportunities he had, but I'll take the draw given it was at the big Pink Bus-shelter (soon to be Tesco's).;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

When that wrong player was booed at Lansdowne it was the majority of the crowd booing so obviously most of them hadn't a clue what they were booing for as most of them weren't Celtic fans. When politicians and the like came out and asked to stop booing Rangers players before the Australia game it worked. There wasn't a boo to be heard when Muscat touched the ball. So I think all that was taken way out of proportion. It was banter more than anything.

Well said, it was pure banter. While i am a Celtic fan, my mates with me are not and everyone in the crowd around me was in high spirits and joining in for the crack. FFS at one stage we even started booing Shay Given and he lapped it up. To compare this to the appalling abuse Aiden and James get at SPL grounds is ridiculous/

Rangers have agreed a fee for Boyd it seems....

Better luck next decade!! :pac:

Dempsey wrote: »
    Rangers have agreed a fee for Boyd it seems....

Better luck next decade!! :pac:

:(
    2ykesmv.jpg

The idea of sellig fringe players really backfired spectacularly or is that what they wanted?

Is HBOS driving this on Rangers because of their own mess?

I wouldn't have minded Celtic going for Boyd. :D Really rate him. He hasn't scored many against the best but he's hardly played against the best and when he has he's not exactly being set up tons of chances.

I wouldn't have minded Celtic going for Boyd. :D Really rate him. He hasn't scored many against the best but he's hardly played against the best and when he has he's not exactly being set up tons of chances.

I'm gutted he's gone, i have absolutely no idea where the goals are gonna come from now.

• Advertisement

I'm gutted he's gone, i have absolutely no idea where the goals are gonna come from now.

Whats the fee? do Rangers really need to sell quickly? I also rate him highly his goals ratio is world class

Badabing wrote: »
    Whats the fee? do Rangers really need to sell quickly? I also rate him highly his goals ratio is world class

He's not gone yet, seemingly contract talks have stalled but that will be sorted before long.

Fee is somewhere in the region of 3.5 million with another million in extras if he scores x amount.

looks like fergie could be off aswell.....

He's not gone yet, seemingly contract talks have stalled but that will be sorted before long.

Fee is somewhere in the region of 3.5 million with another million in extras if he scores x amount.

looks like fergie could be off aswell.....

Jesus! That would be a surprise, didn't he sign a 6 year deal when he returned from Blackburn saying he would never leave Rangers again. I wouldn't expect anything much over 2-3 million for him.

Boyd would be the big loss, not Ferguson. Ferguson doesn't look half the player he was, and I don't think he'll ever regain the form he had a few years ago. Mendes is a much better player than Ferguson.

Boyd is banging goals in, I cannot believe they'd let him go, but obviously money talks.

Talk of Boruc going to Newcastle:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1106806/THE-INSIDER-Villa-keen-Upson-Heskey-Cole-latest-City-target-Boruc-heading-Toon-Spurs-watching-Lieges-Jovanovic.html

and McGeady for 'Boro:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1106223/Boro-Bhoy-Middlesbrough-boss-Southgate-set-bid-Celtic-outcast-McGeady.html

I'm surprised there's no talk of offers being made for McDonald tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Delighted Boyd's going.
    Always rated him highly. Rangers could struggles for goals now.
    Do Hibs and Burnley both get a percentage of this sale??:pac::pac:

Rumours now circulating that the Boyd deal is OFF after some last minute hitches in negotiations.....

I wont hold my breath untill the start of February though...

Paul, i agree completely on Ferguson, hes not been the same player since coming back and i would gladly see the back of him for the reputed 2.5 million in all honesty.

Other rumours are Bougherra to Newcastle, Burke to Cardiff......and Charlie Adam to Real Madrid:pac:

Jimmyboy...theyll need to get in line with the banks for their "percentage" by the sounds of things...

• Advertisement

Paul, i agree completely on Ferguson, hes not been the same player since coming back and i would gladly see the back of him for the reputed 2.5 million in all honesty.

Other rumours are Bougherra to Newcastle, Burke to Cardiff......and Charlie Adam to Real Madrid:pac:

Boyd, Bougherra and Mendes are the players you definitely do not want to lose imo, they're the best hopes Rangers has of getting back into the title race. Obviously Thomson when fit also.

Still baffled by Velicka tbh. He always struck me as the equivalent of a hun-skelper. :D A tim-skelper maybe? :) Either way, I was sure he'd have been a big hit at Rangers, and I'm very surprised he could be on his way also.

The other thing is you'd wonder how effective Miller will be without Boyd now, they seemed to have a good partnership going there.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Boyd, Bougherra and Mendes are the players you definitely do not want to lose imo, they're the best hopes Rangers has of getting back into the title race. Obviously Thomson when fit also.

Still baffled by Velicka tbh. He always struck me as the equivalent of a hun-skelper. :D A tim-skelper maybe? :) Either way, I was sure he'd have been a big hit at Rangers, and I'm very surprised he could be on his way also.

The other thing is you'd wonder how effective Miller will be without Boyd now, they seemed to have a good partnership going there.

Velicka is a strange one alright, there was talk a few weeks back that there was an agreement not to play him too much last year due to the fact he had played something like 18 months of non-stop football before coming to us and that we will see him in the second.....that remains to be seen.

As for Miller, he's been off the boil the last few weeks as it is so who knows.
    I dont see where our goals will come from to be honest, i had a look at our strikers career stats today on Wiki, and it would seem that Nacho Novo is our most consistent striker.....says it all really

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Delighted Boyd's going.
    Always rated him highly. Rangers could struggles for goals now.
    Do Hibs and Burnley both get a percentage of this sale??:pac::pac:

Would love if Hibs did but it's more likely Kilmarnock if anyone. Burnley?:confused:.

Would love if Hibs did but it's more likely Kilmarnock if anyone. Burnley?:confused:.

I think he was meaning that we still owe Hibs and Burnley money for deals in the past...

Kilmarnock will get 20% of any fee in the Boyd transfer, thats a another kick in the stones for ye too.

Any more on the rumour that its off?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement