Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'd say A.Young is the reason he didn't make it Villa. I don't agree with those that say Maloney is versatile. The only position he's proven himself in is left midfield and imo he has to play there. McGeady's just as good on the right. To fit those 2 and Naka in the team we'd have to go with 1 striker which I'd be happy to do.

Well I think Maloney coming back might mean that Naka is on his way home soon enough.

I wonder did we sign McCourt cos we thought Maloney wasn't gonna come to us? We also have Kiko Mizuna there as well. I hope that Strachan is not contemplating playing him as a striker, one thing he is not is a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well I think Maloney coming back might mean that Naka is on his way home soon enough.
    Yeh we'd be doing very well to have him after this season. I think he'll want to go home to Japan while he's still at his best and then build up for the 2010 world cup. Pity because if his body keeps up he'd certainly be as good in 4 years as he is now.

Apparantly the team for today is...

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Loovens --- McManus --- Wilson
    Hartley

Naka
    Brown
    McGeady
    Maloney
    Vennegoor

Not necessarily how they'll line up but that's the players that'll play.

Caldwell and McDonald's injuries came at a good time so. I really like McDonald but Maloney will really improve the football. Caldwell's in good form but the Caldwell-McManus partnership is average. Loovens gets an early debut. McManus is usually as good as his partner tbh.

Another terrible decision going against Rangers at the end of the game.
    They should have won that!!!

Hopefully Celtic will pump Falkirk, I hear they've something like 7 or 8 players out injured.

Rangers have started the seaon much better than we have.

Apparantly the team for today is...
    Scottish radio got it wrong. Samaras to start, Maloney on the bench. Still happy with that. Samaras and Jan can form a good partnership. They're really good mates and suit each others game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

1-1. For once a controversial decision goes against Rangers with Debeesleys goal offside decision. :pac:

1-1. For once a controversial decision goes against Rangers with Debeesleys goal offside decision. :pac:

Call it Karma for singing The Billy Boys after they scored and for their singing of the "Famine Song."

Call it Karma for singing The Billy Boys after they scored and for their singing of the "Famine Song."

Everybody knows that Rangers travelling support are a lovely bunch of fellas. I'm sure they'd never get involved in such sectarian chanting. :P

It didn't take long for Maloney to make his mark! :D Class yesterday. Set up Samaras' 2 goals. He just reminded me how good he is. More than good enough to be playing for someone like Liverpool imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

How did Scott Brown play? He must start performing soon Robson and Crosas deserve a chance especially Robson he has done nothing wrong once in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

According to a mod on here, the famine song is not racist or sectarian and he 'doesn't give a crap' if the cops and Kick Racism people say otherwise.

As I have total respect for the mods and their judgment, the darkside can sing what they like.

Badabing wrote: »
    How did Scott Brown play? He must start performing soon
    He played well apparantly. Really good start to the season. Man of the match in the first game and decent last week. Do you not think he's been playing well? Apparantly Crosas looked really good when he was on. Demanded the ball, always aware of those around him and technically superb. Brown will thrive beside someone like that.

Just have to wait til after the Rangers game to see a big change in the team because Strachan will go with the tried and trusted for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He played well apparantly. Really good start to the season. Man of the match in the first game and decent last week. Do you not think he's been playing well? Apparantly Crosas looked really good when he was on. Demanded the ball, always aware of those around him and technically superb. Brown will thrive beside someone like that.

Just have to wait til after the Rangers game to see a big change in the team because Strachan will go with the tried and trusted for that.

I would love him to get the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate our play he has a fantasic engine and will run box to box we haven't seen alot of that in the last 6 months, plus he was pushed of the ball alot in games i seen.

I know you would disagree but Hartley must play when fit espeically in the spl europe is different where we must change things and hold onto the ball better , should be ideal for crosas hopefully.

Badabing wrote: »
    I know you would disagree but Hartley must play when fit espeically in the spl europe is different where we must change things and hold onto the ball better , should be ideal for crosas hopefully.
    Hartley will hold onto the ball, rarely gives it away. The problem is his movement on the ball. He'll pass it and then move backwards. He's too slow on the ball and it really effects Celtic's play in the SPL. He's good in the holding role when the opposition have the ball so good to have him in a 5 man midfield in Europe. There's better options than him in the SPL though imo.

I agree with you about Brown should be dominating games like Roy Keane did. I think he's too cocky though. He doesn't want to be looking to burst a gut when Celtic are playing a poor team. I could be wrong but he seems to try a lot harder against better teams.

It is great to see Maloney back and performing so well. He improves this team considerably imo. Hopefully Samaras will gain confidence from his 2 goals.

Not much to choose from the big two at the moment it would seem, both on 7points, both playing reasonably well. I'm predicting a 1-1 draw in Sundays 1st Old Firm of the season, but definitely more confident with Maloney in there of a favourable result that without him.

Thoughts/predictions on Sundays Old Firm anyone?

According to a mod on here, the famine song is not racist or sectarian and he 'doesn't give a crap' if the cops and Kick Racism people say otherwise.

As I have total respect for the mods and their judgment, the darkside can sing what they like.

So if the following was sung to black people to tell them to go back to Africa then it wouldn't be deemed offensive or racist...

Why don't you go home,
    why don't you go home,
    Slavery is over,
    why don't you go home.

How acceptable would it be to sing the following to Spurs fans...

Why don't you go home,
    why don't you go home,
    The Holocaust is over,
    why don't you go home.

So if the following was sung to black people to tell them to go back to Africa then it wouldn't be deemed offensive or racist...

Why don't you go home,
    why don't you go home,
    Slavery is over,
    why don't you go home.

How acceptable would it be to sing the following to Spurs fans...

Why don't you go home,
    why don't you go home,
    The Holocaust is over,
    why don't you go home.

Thats what I said, but mr mod 'doesn't give a crap' if people think it's racist.

Case closed, the cops and other authorities know nothing, the moderators on here decided its acceptible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'm just getting around to putting down my thoughts on here on how Celtic are shaping up for this season.

I wasnt over enamoured by the signing of Samaras. I think we all know what we get with him, and for me whilst he will probably do so-so in the SPL at times, he is not good enough for Celtics CL aims I fear. I'd prefer if Celtic would splash out some cash on a good calibre striker. Granted there are few Larsson's around, but the strikers that are here are all mediocre and hence similar. McDondal and VofH and thats all thats there really.

I was also surprised to see Maloney back. Was it for 2.5m, which is 1.5m more than what Celtic sold him to Villa for? That's not good business in my book. Also, didnt he sort of want to leave or force Celtics hand in terms of money? That attitude cost Celtic. Its therefore an expensive rehabilitation to the fold and it will take me time at least to accept him back as a Bhoy. His 1st perforamnce back was good by all accounts so he is starting back in the right way. More of that and the past will have to be consigned to the past.

Midfield seems to be the biggest part of the team, with McGeady and Nakamura the obvious creatives and several options for central midfielders, most of which can do an okay job, such as Robson, Hartley, Brown. Crossas may do okay too as a Sno replacement.

In the back there are still a few doubts. Wilson and Hinkel seem okay at times but are prone to error, as are most of the centre-backs, some more than others.

Celtic have a very big 1st team squad, about 36, and that doesnt include 3 players out on loan.

From an Irish point of view, it will be interesting to see how much game time Darren O'Dea gets, when McCourt will get a run (I am sure he is being worked on fitness-wise at the moment) and if Cillian Sheridan will get a sub's berth at any time during the season.

After a sluggish start in the 1st 2 games, things were better in the last match. Next up, Rangers, the real season starts!

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is lovely indeed. Celtic fans should just get a life eh and accept this as banter? Accept having potatoes been thrown at you. :confused::confused:

I think the signing of Samaras is quite a good one tbh. He only cost 1.5 million, an absolute bargain when you think what players are going for in the EPL and Championship at the moment. He'll be great value for money and until we can sort out some way of making a decent amount of money off TV then we're always going to have to rely on signings like this. Though not all is bad on the money front... rumour has it that Nike are planning on offering us a minimum of £10m a year to continue making our jerseys which puts us up there with the big boys. Also, look at how many club shops Celtic have - I think the number is about 18, considering Liverpool have only 3 (according to my LFC supporting mate) then that number is incredible.

Anyway, I digress... Maloney was a great bit of business even though we paid more for him. He had only a few months left on his contract that's why MO'N snapped him up for only £1m, I can't understand how Villa let him go or how he didn't start every week, he is an exceptional talent... as his first game back for Celtic proved. Still don't like the way he was accepted back so easily by the Celtic fans though. maloney is a far better all round player than McDonald and him being on the pitch gave another outlet wth loads of movement for Naka and McGeady. There's not many teams that will be able to quieten the triple threat from Maloney, Naka and McGeady.

Crossas looks a player and Barca are very reluctant letting him go, that can only be a good sign. Delighted Sno is gone, nothing I've seen from him suggests that he's going to make it as a professional player never mind at a club like Celtic.

How O'Dea is not getting a look in never ceases to amaze me. I find Strachan's constant over-looking of him to be bordering on astonishing. Now that Loovens is here O'Dea is even further down the pecking order, his days at Celtic are limited I think though Strachan won't let him out on loan or onto the transfer list. McCourt will have to be patient to get any sort of look in, would really love to see him do well but I reckon he'll be back home soon enough. Sheridan has been injured for pre-season but Strachan seems quite eager to give him a run out so that can only be good news for the young Cavan fella.

Big game on Sunday. Hopefully Loovens, Crossas and Maloney start. Rangers will also be starting with many of their new signings making this one a harder one to call. Obviously I'm hoping for a win for the Bhoys... but I won't be putting any money on this one!

ziggy wrote: »

...and to think that some Eircom League fans associate themselves with this secatrian anti-Irish cancer to wind up Celtic fans?

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Sorry i am not into this story,whos singing this song? Why they offend irish people?

I think the signing of Samaras is quite a good one tbh. He only cost 1.5 million.

that's why MO'N snapped him up for only £1m, I can't understand how Villa let him go or how he didn't start every week

maloney is a far better all round player than McDonald

How O'Dea is not getting a look in never ceases to amaze me.

McCourt will have to be patient to get any sort of look in, would really love to see him do well but I reckon he'll be back home soon enough.

Sheridan has been injured for pre-season but Strachan seems quite eager to give him a run out so that can only be good news for the young Cavan fella.

The thing about Samaras is if that if he was rated, other clubs would have been looking to get him and pay above 1.5 million. That tells me something. If a player cant hold a place down at Man City, I dont think they are good enough for Celtic. He just doesnt seem sharp enough for my liking.

And with Maloney, it was the same Martin O'Neill that snapped him up who is letting him go now. Thats not a vote of confidence. Granted, its to a league where he is home and where he did well in the past, so if there is a place that will rekindle his potential form its back at Celtic. Its a good start for him so far but still early days. Btw, Maloney plays in a different position than McDonald so I dont think they can be compared. Lets see how he does against Rangers, although Gordy may select Robson for the cut and thrust of an old firm game.

Yeah, I agree that O'Dea should have been given more of a chance this season. Gordy seemed pleased with him when he mentioned him during the pre-season friendlies but for some reason he doesnt see him as a 1st 11 player so far.

McCourt has been given a big opportunity and will need to really polish his fitness and game, and then impress if he does come on. The reserve matches will be his testing (and proving) ground so it will be interesting to see how he gets on there. If anyone follows those matches, let us know.

Redspider

redspider wrote: »
    The thing about Samaras is if that if he was rated, other clubs would have been looking to get him and pay above 1.5 million. That tells me something. If a player cant hold a place down at Man City, I dont think they are good enough for Celtic. He just doesnt seem sharp enough for my liking.

And with Maloney, it was the same Martin O'Neill that snapped him up who is letting him go now. Thats not a vote of confidence. Granted, its to a league where he is home and where he did well in the past, so if there is a place that will rekindle his potential form its back at Celtic. Its a good start for him so far but still early days. Btw, Maloney plays in a different position than McDonald so I dont think they can be compared. Lets see how he does against Rangers, although Gordy may select Robson for the cut and thrust of an old firm game.

Yeah, I agree that O'Dea should have been given more of a chance this season. Gordy seemed pleased with him when he mentioned him during the pre-season friendlies but for some reason he doesnt see him as a 1st 11 player so far.

McCourt has been given a big opportunity and will need to really polish his fitness and game, and then impress if he does come on. The reserve matches will be his testing (and proving) ground so it will be interesting to see how he gets on there. If anyone follows those matches, let us know.

Redspider

I take your point on Samaras but were his goals for us last year worth 1.5m? They most definitely were. I see him as an understudy to JVoH and a half decent one too. I'd be surprised if he started all the time. Technically he is very good and if we play with Naka, Maloney and McGeady then Samaras's runs to the wing will create an awful lot of space for these fellas to run into. Samaras is very hit and miss though but his aerial strengths could be well utilised for games against European opposition where we need goals in the last 20 minutes.

I was very surprised that O'Neill came in for Maloney in the first place as O'Neill was never sure about Maloney when he was at Celtic. I know that McDonald and Maloney play in different postition but imo it will be McDonald that loses out to Maloney and will be dropped to make way for Maloney. In saying that I have never rated Maloney as an out and out striker, he panics and misses far too much for that position. However the movement last week up front between Maloney, McGeady and Naka was something that we've been missing for a long time and was an utter joy to watch.

I'll be getting updates on McCourt every now and then which I'll put up here.

• Advertisement

Sorry i am not into this story,whos singing this song? Why they offend irish people?

Very simply...

Celtic were set up as a result of The Great Irish Famine in the 1840's. (Famine is a misnomer as it implies there was not enough food in the country - there was more than adequate food to feed the starving Irish but this food was shipped out to other British subjects allowing upwards of 2 million people dead and millions more forced to emigrate over the next few decades. it is only now that Ireland's population is starting to recover to pre-"famine" times.) Amazing all throughout this period Ireland was actually a net exporter of food!

This "famine" caused Irish people to emigrate throughout the world and Celtic were formed in 1888 to feed the starving emigrant population (mostly Irish and Catholic but NOT exclusively so) in Glasgow. The word CELTIC was used to signify a common bond between Ireland and Scotland.

Now racist Rangers fans sing the song with the lyrics" The famine is over, why don't you go home." The only conclusion to this is that some (but not a minority as is obvious by their anti-Irish and Catholic songs and antics) Rangers fans have never accepted Irish people in society (up to our knees in Fenian blood, surrender or you'll die) and they want all people of Irish descent to go back to Ireland.

There's loads to read here on The Great Hunger... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Irish_Famine

...and to think that some Eircom League fans associate themselves with this secatrian anti-Irish cancer to wind up Celtic fans?

Idiots.

Whoa. That would be fans of one club which is well represented on here. One of whom asked the question in question a few weeks back (but not in a racist way - thanks to the mods for clearing that up).

I think ignoring them and waiting for the growing up would be the best tactic.

Very simply...

Celtic were set up as a result of The Great Irish Famine in the 1840's. (Famine is a misnomer as it implies there was not enough food in the country - there was more than adequate food to feed the starving Irish but this food was shipped out to other British subjects allowing upwards of 2 million people dead and millions more forced to emigrate over the next few decades. it is only now that Ireland's population is starting to recover to pre-"famine" times.) Amazing all throughout this period Ireland was actually a net exporter of food!

This "famine" caused Irish people to emigrate throughout the world and Celtic were formed in 1888 to feed the starving emigrant population (mostly Irish and Catholic but NOT exclusively so) in Glasgow. The word CELTIC was used to signify a common bond between Ireland and Scotland.

Now racist Rangers fans sing the song with the lyrics" The famine is over, why don't you go home." The only conclusion to this is that some (but not a minority as is obvious by their anti-Irish and Catholic songs and antics) Rangers fans have never accepted Irish people in society (up to our knees in Fenian blood, surrender or you'll die) and they want all people of Irish descent to go back to Ireland.

There's loads to read here on The Great Hunger... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Irish_Famine

Ah i suposed Rangers fans were those who were singing that song.....

I support irish Celtic and those Rangers jerks can only go and kiss some irish @sses

redspider wrote: »
    I was also surprised to see Maloney back. Was it for 2.5m, which is 1.5m more than what Celtic sold him to Villa for? That's not good business in my book.
    Put like that it doesn't sound like good business but Celtic could do with another flair player and I really don't think Celtic could have got anyone better than Maloney. In my honest opinion he's worth £7-8m. He went for £1m because he had 4 months left on his contract and wasn't going to play a big part in the rest of the season. It worked out well because Maloney leaving allowed McGeady to develop without the pressure of losing his place after 1 bad performance. That pressure is on him now and we'll see how he copes. It also means we won't have to worry about Maloney leaving for a few years because there's no chance of that happening.

I watched McCourt in the first reserve game of the season btw. At underage level Celtic teams play excellent passing football. McCourt tried his best to play this way and he actually looked a little out of his depth because he was so nervous. He won't play his own game. A good example would be... Celtic had a corner in the last couple of minutes. McCourt took it short and decided to try and keep it in the corner to waste a bit of time. He's just doing what he thinks they want him to do. He needs to lose the fear at that level if he's going to be making the step up to the first team though.

Maloney's a doubt for Sunday now. He got injured when tackling McGeady in training. :(

I think we'll see either Maloney or Jan. Jan will be risked if Maloney doesn't make it.

Can't wait for Sunday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7EVwGCuZA ;)

bobbysands81 > I know that McDonald and Maloney play in different postition but imo it will be McDonald that loses out to Maloney and will be dropped to make way for Maloney. In saying that I have never rated Maloney as an out and out striker

I see what you're saying. I agree, Maloney is not an out and out striker and is an attacking midfielder. With 3 attacking midfielders on the pitch (Naka,McG,Maloney), Celtic could play 2 attackers against the weaker teams and 1 against a stonger team. I think Strachan has more options now for tinkering with the formation but 4-4-2 is what he has based his success on so far so it'll be interesting to see which personnel he plays and where. McDonald is more threatened by Samaras I think as a striker. I think Stachan will play both of them and VofH interchangeably and will favour the pair that start getting the goals. Its good to have competition up front, although a settled partnership pairing can blossom with understanding of each other as well as with the wide players and midfield.

In terms of comparing McDonald with Maloney, I guess that can be done too and here I think I would agree with your original point in that Maloney is better at his role than McDonald has been at his role.

> I'll be getting updates on McCourt every now and then which I'll put up here.

ta.
    Celtic could do with another flair player and I really don't think Celtic could have got anyone better than Maloney.

I watched McCourt in the first reserve game of the season btw. He's just doing what he thinks they want him to do. He needs to lose the fear at that level if he's going to be making the step up to the first team though.

Can't wait for Sunday.

I suppose I just think that with the 1.5m for Samaras and 2.5m for Maloney, we could have spent 4m on someone better than both of them. Its good though to get a flair player like Maloney. I hope he can perform as his potential has suggested in the past. This is a great opportunity for him.

Yeah, McCourt is still adjusting mentally to where he is. Unlike an 18 year old that could just jump in, McCourt is sort of a late footballer who will be 25 soon and who is only getting his 1st chance at a big club. (Rochdale werent really big!). Thats a big mental test for him. Lets see how he develops during the season. He will be doing well to get any sub appearances in the 1st team but that should be his target for this season and next.

Sunday should be good alright .....

Redspider

• Advertisement

It is lovely indeed. Celtic fans should just get a life eh and accept this as banter? Accept having potatoes been thrown at you. :confused::confused:

Strathclyde Police have written to der Hun and advised them that any Rangers fan caught singing that song on Sunday and into the future will be arrested and banned.

Thankfully they see racism where the mods cannot / will not.

Strathclyde Police have written to der Hun and advised them that any Rangers fan caught singing that song on Sunday and into the future will be arrested and banned.

About time anti-Irish racism is being taken seriously in Scotland.

What do you make of the draw?

You gonna go to any away games?

Villareal sounds good!

What do you make of the draw?

You gonna go to any away games?

Villareal sounds good!

Tough draw, but could have been a lot worse. Good chance to beat Man Utd again and wipe the smile of a few Ole's twice on the spin.

I'm a bit tight for leave and cash with the new pad, so if I get to one it will be Villareal.

Trivia on Sunday or will you be there?

Tough draw, but could have been a lot worse. Good chance to beat Man Utd again and wipe the smile of a few Ole's twice on the spin.

I'm a bit tight for leave and cash with the new pad, so if I get to one it will be Villareal.

Trivia on Sunday or will you be there?

No, on antibiotics at the mo which react to drink so just gonna be sad and watch it at home!

Tough draw.

17 September - Aalborg (H)
    30 September - Villarreal (A)
    21 October - Man Utd (A)
    5 November - Man Utd (H)
    25 November - Aalborg (A)
    10 December - Villarreal (H)

First game's a must one. I'm hoping the last game is a must win as it'll mean we're still in with a shout. :)

Tough draw.

17 September - Aalborg (H)
    30 September - Villarreal (A)
    21 October - Man Utd (A)
    5 November - Man Utd (H)
    25 November - Aalborg (A)
    10 December - Villarreal (H)

First game's a must one. I'm hoping the last game is a must win as it'll mean we're still in with a shout. :)

I must say its a good draw,last season Celtic had harder group than this one.

Good schedule also,its good game against Villareal is last one to play and its home,that game good be the most important.

And i agree if Certic want to fight for 2nd place they need to win 1st game against Aalborg,otherwise already after that match they can think about UEFA cup

I think its a good CL draw for Celtic. Man Utd and Villareal will be tough matches, but having beaten Man Utd relatively recently the team will have no fears. Villareal will be tricky but the key is to win at home, and an away draw would be ideal. And an away win at Aalborg would help a lot. The Man Utd home game may not result in a win this time, and the result of that (or indeed any of the close matches) could be the deciding factor in whether Celtic finishes 3rd or 2nd.

Clearly the minimum target is to finish 3rd and get a Uefa Cup berth. That wouldnt be a disaster because I think Celtic could have a good run in the Uefa Cup and perhaps it is our best chance of winning a trophy in Europe (for now), perhaps that is stating the obvious! Whilst finishing 2nd in the group stage does have its financial merits and kudos, we are not likely to go all the way whereas in the Uefa Cup we could and the money at the end may even be more as they have upped the finance in that competition. Choices, choices ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeh I agree red spider, I was in barca last year and milan the year before and after each game I couldnt help wishing that we had maybe not got through the group stage as realistically we would not have much chance of progressing to the quarter's\semi-s, especially when you finish second in your group and you get drawn against the winners of the other groups.

Whereas you look at the gers last season they had a great cup run even if they got hammered in the final at least they made it there, Im sure every Tim would love another Seville.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Yeh I agree red spider, I was in barca last year and milan the year before and after each game I couldnt help wishing that we had maybe not got through the group stage as realistically we would not have much chance of progressing to the quarter's\semi-s, especially when you finish second in your group and you get drawn against the winners of the other groups.

Whereas you look at the gers last season they had a great cup run even if they got hammered in the final at least they made it there, Im sure every Tim would love another Seville.

If we got into the UEFA Cup and had a good run we'd improve our co-efficient no end as the points are the same in the UEFA as the CL for some stupid reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeh I was looking at the draw being made yesterday and was wondering why we were in the 3rd group of teams. I mean we've won our domestic league and got out of the group stages of the CL for the last 2yrs. I know its probably due to the fact that the SPL has a low fifa ratings compared to like the EPL and maybe this combined with the fact that were brutal in away games in CL.
    If we got into the UEFA Cup and had a good run we'd improve our co-efficient no end as the points are the same in the UEFA as the CL for some stupid reason.

I suppose thats why the likes of Bayern who werent even in the group stages of the CL last year but had a decent run in Uefa are ranked ahead of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Are we ready for the game?:D

Celtic are even money on Paddy Power, those odds are too good to ignore.

I hear the huns are planning to unfurl a banner to Sam English at today's game. Typical.

Starting rosters are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

From BBC text

"Celtic fans are waving their passports in the air to taunt Rangers fans about the fact that they were ousted from Europe early doors by Kaunas. Celtic play, among others, Manchester United in the Champions League. Oooh, cheeky! "

Brilliant :D

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    From BBC text

"Celtic fans are waving their passports in the air to taunt Rangers fans about the fact that they were ousted from Europe early doors by Kaunas. Celtic play, among others, Manchester United in the Champions League. Oooh, cheeky! "

Brilliant :D

Celtic fans were hilarious before the game.

They have a big "Murray must stay!" banner with picture of Pinnochio with his nose getting longer!

There's a small Southpark themed banner with "Oh my God! They signed Kenny!" on it.

Loads of people dressed in beach clothes with plenty of beach balls, buckets, spades, sombreros etc... as well as waving the passports!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No mention of the score in here?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Two reds:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Celtic not singing anymore eh? Kenny Miller scores goal, I hope someone had a camera to record the event :pac:

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement