Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

CELTIC have taken Chivas USA's Sacha Kljestan on trial for a week as they step up their bid to crack the American market.

The 23-year-old attacking midfielder left the US national training camp in Los Angeles last night, where he was preparing for a friendly against Sweden on January 24, and will train at Lennoxtown under Hoops boss Gordon Strachan until next Friday.

Strachan is waiting to welcome the American when he arrives later today and said: "John Park has arranged this. "He has admired him for a while. Now we can get him in and see him close up to have a look. "That's good."

Rated in the £1-2million bracket, Kljestan has also attracted interest from Heerenveen, FC Twente, Monaco, Leverkusen, Schalke, Wolfsburg, Olympiakos and Zenit St Petersburg.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2482228.0.usa_ace_in_for_celtic_trial.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Trilla wrote: »
    Well lads, whats a decent travel agent to use for the Celtic games? Can only find http://www.holidaysonline.ie/sports/index.asp?team=Glasgow%20Celtic&aff=

thanks
    aer lingus mate. you'll get a ticket easy enough and book into jury's or if on a budget, the eurohostel across the street. there are loads who do this every week, you won't be alone

eirebhoy wrote: »
    A guy on KDS who I'm 110% knows a certain Man City player says we're trying to sign Gelson Fernandes and Javier Garrido.
    He just gave an update on this. We've had loans accepted for the 2 players until the summer and it's now up to them. The player who is giving this info told him Garrido just lacks a bit of pace but he rates him and would stroll the SPL. A bit unsure about Fernandes though. Gives the ball away quite a bit apparently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58318792&postcount=1313

He's already in the squad for tomorrow's game!

http://www.chovanecsport.cz/cs-novinky-447
    Mišůn in the squad for the match in Aberdeen!

Milan Mišůn will travel for the first time with the Celtic first team for Sunday's league match in Aberdeen. Coach Gordon Strachan has selected him in the squad! He heard this joyful and unexpected news after this morning's training. He never expected to progress so fast after his transfer. "I am quite shocked, but I am very happy" Milan said to us from Glasgow.

"I had no problems with the transition to British football, I have already played two matches for the reserve. Now I want to do everything possible to get a chance in the first team," admitted Mišůn. The last match played as a reserve on Wednesday against Sunderland, his team lost 0:1. Post match reports said his performance was very good.

"When I got the news today that Milan was in the squad for Aberdeen, I had a particularly great joy. Moreover, it is obvious that Celtic respect his potential. When negotiationthe transfer they said to us that he will get the chance to play soon. Personally, I expected that it will take a little longer, maybe two months," revealed Player agent Ondrej Chovanec. "But it's great for Milan. He deserves it. He's an extremely hardworking boy. It's not easy in Příbram to break through from the reserve team, and it's the same at Celtic, unsurprisingly" he added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Boruc injured in the warm up, so Mark Brown comes in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

according to the oficial site he made it onto the bench after boruc pulled out during the warm up with an injury. robson set to start at left full. to be honest id rather robson plays instead of hartley and slot o'dea in at left full, altough its not his best position. my prediction: 3-0, scorers: brown, mcdonald and hesselink on as a sub.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    A bit unsure about Fernandes though. Gives the ball away quite a bit apparently.

:eek: Yikes, just what we need eh? As if we don't have enough of those... :o

2-1 to Aberdeen, pretty open game so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Aberdeen winning 4-2. Witnessing some of the most shambolic defending I've seen in a long time from Celtic. Why the hell is O'Dea sitting on the bench with two clots out on the pitch embarrassing themselves?

Good win for Aberdeen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Disgraceful performance from Celtic. Were 7pts ahead when they won at Ibrox a fortnight ago, now only 2pts ahead. Won't be surprised if they are behind in a few weeks time.

Well done Aberdeen, well up for the game.

Every single time Paul Hartley plays in a 4-4-2 I'm on here posting to complain about our performance. I know everyone's probably fed up with me going on about him but his role is too influential not to. He's not a left back. He should be the heartbeat of the team. He is simply a very, very poor footballer. Brown is so much better playing beside Crosas because Crosas gives Brown the option of a pass. When Brown is playing beside Hartley the pass to Hartley isn't an option because he'll be behind him.

:mad:

Anyway, Crosas will be in for the next game. Himself and Jan didn't play today because of fitness issues. He has 6 wins in 6 starts so lets hope he keeps it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

bit of a nighmare today. feel sorry for brown, aberdeen had 5 shots on target and scored 4 but i dont think he was t o blame. thought mcgeady and brown did well, apart from that there was nothing too positive.

by the way anyone know if the cup semi final is on tv??dont sky sports usually do the cup?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No, Brown wasn't to blame, at least not for all of the goals. That aside, he's still gash and isn't good enough, not even as backup.

Very poor defensively today. Set piece defending is surely something we should be better at. The window is still open Gordon and the board, get the fingers out and the wallets open for some fresh blood.

This crap from Strachan is imo why a lot of supporters haven't taken to him:
    "The consolation is that my team played well, made chances, showed great determination and great character, while the two goals we scored were absolutely fantastic.

"If they play like that for the rest of the season, I will be happy. If they defend like that at set-plays, I will be a worried man."

:confused: Aside from Brown (Scott), McGeady and spells from McDonald, I didn't see a whole lot of good play today. Samaras needs some time on the bench also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    bit of a nighmare today. feel sorry for brown, aberdeen had 5 shots on target and scored 4 but i dont think he was t o blame. thought mcgeady and brown did well, apart from that there was nothing too positive.

by the way anyone know if the cup semi final is on tv??dont sky sports usually do the cup?

The Tic game is on BBC Scotland on the 28th Jan. Sky show the Scottish cup this is the League cup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Couldn't agree more PauloMN, Samaras could do with a spell on the bench. I remember when Greece won the European Championship he was an excellent player. I don't rate him at all for Celtic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Who would have thought it Bhoys? Who would have thought Rangers could go top of the league on the 24th January following result on 27th Dec? Not many people id say....

However, not sure if Rangers will beat Aberdeen as they are pretty poor too.

Some Celtic fans were on here after Rangers game saying Dundee United might even pip Rangers to 2nd place! Too lazy to go back through the board searching for the person who said this, you know who you are!

Celtic might yet get challenged for the league title!

first time in 12 years we've lost a league game in January, and what a way for it to end, PUMPED. samaras is a fekn imposter and has to go, as does zonal marking. how much is it to ask for a left back. captain drastic mcamaniac consistenly outdone too

get it the gither celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Agree with what most of you are saying here Samaras just isnt cutting it at the moment and just what Strachan has against O'Dea is a mystery I cant believe that he hasnt been snapped up in the transfer window by one of the clubs in England.

Also though Naka was shockin yesterday and Mcgeady and the two Scotty's were the only ones who seemed to give a sh*t

• Advertisement

I know some of you guys on board have a problem with Strachan. I think he is a top top manager and person. However,I read this morning he is angry over Aberdeen's third goal on Sunday. This incident isnt even worth talking about, big Jan is all over the Aberdeen player. Penalty. End of story. 1 nano sec later the ball is in the net. Advantage played, goal. End of story. In no way did the ref blowing the whistle alter events. The right decision was made, build a bridge Gordon and get over it. Storm in a teacup I would have thought. He should concentrate on teaching his back four to defend dangerous set plays rather than moaning about refs.... (Especially considering some of the decisions Celtic got at end of last season and start of this season by all accounts!)

See Burnley are being linked with a loan move for Darren O'Dea. Would be a great move for the lad, hopefully get some game time. Needs to be playing football as he is getting older.

Brewster, as I've said before, it's very easy for someone who is not a supporter to say "oh he's a great guy" etc.. Sure someone posted on here a while back about how he was great because he was funny on TV etc.. Yeah, funny if his team selections don't affect the team you follow.

As a Rangers man, you must be happy to be only 2 behind now. Plenty more twists and turns yet.

As for O'Dea, I just wish he'd get more 1st team action with Celtic. He absolutely deserves it given the dross we're seeing getting regular slots at the moment. Caddis should be getting a shot as well, and can play further forward also. He's as good as Wilson from what I've seen of him.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Brewster, as I've said before, it's very easy for someone who is not a supporter to say "oh he's a great guy" etc.. Sure someone posted on here a while back about how he was great because he was funny on TV etc.. Yeah, funny if his team selections don't affect the team you follow.

As a Rangers man, you must be happy to be only 2 behind now. Plenty more twists and turns yet.

As for O'Dea, I just wish he'd get more 1st team action with Celtic. He absolutely deserves it given the dross we're seeing getting regular slots at the moment. Caddis should be getting a shot as well, and can play further forward also. He's as good as Wilson from what I've seen of him.

That was me Paul! I do like Strachan I must admit, I really think his distain for the media is top drawer and its a quality needed to be a top class manager. His sense of humour is immense. I dont know enough about the guy and the decisions he has made to annoy the Celtic fans to pass judgement, but TBH I dont think theres a manager out there whose decisions dont get questioned from time to time! Even the great man himself at United gets criticism from time to time. If you ask any average fan of a premiership club i.e myself, most will say Strachan is a top bloke and good manager.

If O'Dea cant get a game for Celtic, I would be delighted if he moved elsewhere. Hes highly thought of, and could make the step up to International level and we arent exactly blessed with top quality centre halfs as yesterday's squad announcement displayed!

I was glad Celtic lost, only for the reason it makes it a more competitive interesting league for the neutral observer such as myself, not cos I am Rangers fan.

Brewster wrote: »
    That was me Paul! I do like Strachan I must admit, I really think his distain for the media is top drawer and its a quality needed to be a top class manager. His sense of humour is immense. I dont know enough about the guy and the decisions he has made to annoy the Celtic fans to pass judgement, but TBH I dont think theres a manager out there whose decisions dont get questioned from time to time! Even the great man himself at United gets criticism from time to time. If you ask any average fan of a premiership club i.e myself, most will say Strachan is a top bloke and good manager.

If O'Dea cant get a game for Celtic, I would be delighted if he moved elsewhere. Hes highly thought of, and could make the step up to International level and we arent exactly blessed with top quality centre halfs as yesterday's squad announcement displayed!

I was glad Celtic lost, only for the reason it makes it a more competitive interesting league for the neutral observer such as myself, not cos I am Rangers fan.

It's fine to have a dislike of the media, and I can understand his frustration at them some times. But he also has to remember that he speaks to the fans through the media. Fans are bums on seats - we buy tickets and merchandise and essentially fund the club to a large degree. Sometimes I just feel he spouts a load of crap just to get interviews over and done with, but the fans are getting tired of the same old "I know what's wrong", "I thought we played excellent football", "We had 20 chances and didn't take them, they had 1 chance and took it" lines. It's tedious and I'd go as far as to say it's disrespectful of the fans.

As for the Rangers bit - aye, right - you're not a fan. I believe you, millions wouldn't. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Brewster, as I've said before, it's very easy for someone who is not a supporter to say "oh he's a great guy" etc..

no it isnt. :D

It's fine to have a dislike of the media, and I can understand his frustration at them some times. But he also has to remember that he speaks to the fans through the media. Fans are bums on seats - we buy tickets and merchandise and essentially fund the club to a large degree. Sometimes I just feel he spouts a load of crap just to get interviews over and done with, but the fans are getting tired of the same old "I know what's wrong", "I thought we played excellent football", "We had 20 chances and didn't take them, they had 1 chance and took it" lines. It's tedious and I'd go as far as to say it's disrespectful of the fans.

As for the Rangers bit - aye, right - you're not a fan. I believe you, millions wouldn't. ;)

Paulo, I have friends on both sides of OF divide, Im sure I have mentioned this on this forum before and as such I am kept well briefed on the Scottish game! Doesnt make me a fan because I express on opinion one way or another! I have a brain which I occasionally use!! Your statement though gives an interesting insight into the mindset of a typical Irish Celtic supporter though, 'he doesnt always post positive comments about Celtic; yup he must be a Rangers fan!' Hmmmmm

:D

Your secret is safe with me. Don't worry, you won't be shunned around here, even though we know where your loyalties lie. :pac:

• Advertisement

:D

Your secret is safe with me. Don't worry, you won't be shunned around here, even though we know where your loyalties lie. :pac:

Thats a weight over my shoulders, ok ok I am season ticket holder for past 100 years, my hair is orange, ......I hate every single Irish person on the planet! My hair is red, white and blue some weeks..... I wear red, white and blue socks. I wear a sash to work, No scratch that, I am unemployable. I dont work......!

Im just your typical Irish Rangers fan!! Comedy gold!

I must contact Sir David, he has many thousands of fans in Ireland he never knew even existed! They could certainly do with an income boost! They are missing out! Now has anyone got a number for them?!

Thats a weight over my shoulders, ok ok I am season ticket holder for past 100 years, my hair is orange, ......I hate every single Irish person on the planet! My hair is red, white and blue some weeks..... I wear red, white and blue socks. I wear a sash to work, No scratch that, I am unemployable. I dont work......!

I must contact Sir David, he has many thousands of fans in Ireland he never knew even existed! They could certainly do with an income boost! They are missing out! Now has anyone got a number for them?!

Yep, it's a free-phone:

1690-666-666

it's like yer typical hundercover guy who just tries that wee bit too much. so what if u support us or them??

poindexter wrote: »
    it's like yer typical hundercover guy who just tries that wee bit too much. so what if u support us or them??

I have a lot of time for both clubs to be honest, such unblinkered people do exist! Its the idiot fans on both sides I have the problem with, and the blinkered view that they take on each others supporters......

So O'Dea is off to Burnley on loan. Good news as he's never going to get his chance at Celtic.

It looks like we'll sign an 18 year old off Chelsea, Morten Nielsen. He turned down a 3 year contract offer from them and there's also interest in France but he wants to join Celtic.

His father, who travelled to Lennoxtown with him, said: "Morten was very impressed with the people in Glasgow and the facilities. He has told me he wants to sign for Celtic.

"I hope everything can be agreed this week. His next move is very important, and he feels Celtic is the right club for him.

"Morten's contract expires on July 1 and Chelsea have offered him a new deal. But he needs to make the step up to the first-team level and he feels he can make that move at Celtic."

Someone critisised zonal marking a few posts back. Have you actually seen our team? If the opposition have 5 or 6 good headers of the ball do you think we've enough players to man mark them? I certainly don't. There's very little height in the team. Zonal marking means if you have 4 good headers of the ball they can cover the 4 danger area's where the vast majority of headed goals are scored. The likes of Brown and Hartley can cover the other area's. It also means our players can focus solely on getting the ball and not be put off by the run of a striker.

• Advertisement

It feels almost as dirty as linking to a dark side site, but here's Chelsea's page on Nielsen:
    http://www.chelseafc.com/page/TheReservesProfiles/0,,10268~1233186,00.html

(I Googled Morten Nielsen but it seems to be Denmark's equivalent of Googling "John Smith") :D

18 year old centre forward. Must have something if he ended up at Chelsea. Mind you, the same could be said for Makalamby. :eek: Nice to see some young blood coming in if - and it's a big if - they end up playing.

(I Googled Morten Nielsen but it seems to be Denmark's equivalent of Googling "John Smith") :D
    ha. :) You probably know this but if you put double quotes around what you're searching it'll search for those words as 1 word.
    Example search:
    i went home today
    - will search for all 4 words in on a webpage in any order.

"I went home today"
    - will search for that exact phrase on a webpage.

It's vital to know for googling. :)

I honestly think losing Boruc just before the game threw things a bit. Brown inspires no confidence at all. Boruc - clangers aside - would have been much more commanding for 2 of those goals, and imo would have had a decent chance of saving them.

I dislike seeing Mark Brown on the pitch as much as Eirebhoy dislikes seeing Hartley. :)

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2483392.0.strachan_about_to_strike_an_ace_deal.php
    CELTIC'S transfer window business has finally kicked into gear with the club closing in on a £1.2million deal to sign Welsh hitman Ched Evans from Manchester City.

Chelsea's Morten Nielsen should also be tied up within the next few days, and a decision on a £2m deal for American midfielder Sacha Kljestan is also expected before he heads back to the States on Friday.

Loan bids for another couple of English-based players - at least one a defender - are also being stepped up.

Those other 2 loan bids are most likely for Garrido and Fernandes.

huge game tommorrow, especially with the way the last 2 games have gone. i can imagine some of the worst boos in a long time if the final whistle goes without 3 points in the bag.

prediction: 2-0, mcgeady and jan the man

• Advertisement

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    huge game tommorrow, especially with the way the last 2 games have gone. i can imagine some of the worst boos in a long time if the final whistle goes without 3 points in the bag.

prediction: 2-0, mcgeady and jan the man

I agree. Can't see anything other than a win tbh. Anything other than 3 points tomorrow would be a disaster.

Looks like Boruc is back (thankfully). JVoH will hopefully get a decent run out, but Samaras needs to get a goal. As long as we don't shop silly goals tomorrow we'll pick up 3 points.

It feels almost as dirty as linking to a dark side site, but here's Chelsea's page on Nielsen:
    http://www.chelseafc.com/page/TheReservesProfiles/0,,10268~1233186,00.html

18 year old centre forward. Must have something if he ended up at Chelsea. Mind you, the same could be said for Makalamby. :eek: Nice to see some young blood coming in if - and it's a big if - they end up playing.
    we have our own younger players who can do a job, paul caddis for one. why this lad keeps being overlooked i'll never know. his first game thrown in was v barca, in at right back v henry and ronaldinho and he stood his ground. the young team have celtic flowing through their veins and will sweat blood for the team.
    come on Celtic, lets get back into the swing of things today.
    is fletcher banned for hibs? he was sent off two weeks ago i think it was?

Celtic's team to face Hibernian today: Boruc, Hinkel, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor, Nakamura, S.Brown, Crosas, McGeady, McDonald, Vennegoor of Hesselink.
    Subs: M.Brown, Samaras, Loovens, Robson, McCourt, Sheridan, O'Dea

personally think this is a great 11 to start with, especially the midfield.
    anyone watching this one on 'myp2p'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good win coupled with Rangers drawing means Celtic are back to 4 points ahead :)

great game by scotty broon

well in broony

As predicted Hartley and Samaras were dropped for Crosas and Jan. Good to see. That'll be the team now for a while. Hopefully Crosas can stay injury free this time.

Celtic after Radoslav Kovac accoring to the Record this morning, with talk of McManus going to Newcastle for £4m:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2009/01/26/exclusive-celtic-chase-spartak-moscow-star-radoslav-kovac-86908-21071825/

Also I never knew "A Dynamic Edge" was an anagram of Aiden McGeady, but there you go... proof you can learn something from newspapers, even the Daily Record. :eek: :D

Celtic after Radoslav Kovac accoring to the Record this morning, with talk of McManus going to Newcastle for £4m:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2009/01/26/exclusive-celtic-chase-spartak-moscow-star-radoslav-kovac-86908-21071825/

Also I never knew "A Dynamic Edge" was an anagram of Aiden McGeady, but there you go... proof you can learn something from newspapers, even the Daily Record. :eek: :D
    the daily ranger, wouldn't wipe the **** off ma ass with it

hail hail and what a dynamice edge wee aiden brought to the team on sat.
    what position is this kovac dude?? left back????

poindexter wrote: »
    what position is this kovac dude?? left back????

No, centre-back, but Jose Enrique is a left-back (it's hit the BBC):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7851263.stm

I guess Kovac would slot into McManus's spot if he did go. Agree with the sentiments above about O'Dea and Caddis though, two very good prospects who should be playing regularly.

sky sports 1 right now theres a good programme on about the lisbon lions

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement