Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

poindexter wrote: »
    the daily ranger, wouldn't wipe the **** off ma ass with it

The Daily rebel your right neither would I ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's a bloody rag alright but they more accurate than most with their transfer rumours for Scottish clubs.

Lenny confirmed on Celtic TV that we're trying to sign Willo Flood. He said if Naka doesn't play we only really have Scott Brown for the right side. I think a few players would have something to say about that. :) Anyway, Flood has been playing centrally a lot for Utd. Bit of a "meh" signing if it happens. Squad player and we've plenty of them.

Kovac agent confirms we're one of a number of clubs interested:
    http://www.sportovninoviny.cz/zpravy/kovace-laka-celtic-glasgow/357025

He says there's not much time left in this window and Kovac wants to leave by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The pitch at Hampden park was terrible last night and i presume wont be much beter for tonights game, i hope Strachan still plays Crosas and Brown in the middle tho he'll probably bring in Robson.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Didn't see the match last night, I was watching Crimewatch. ;)

As for tonight, very tough game, United will be gunning for the final, and to be honest, while I'd obviously like to win, I won't be too upset if they go through because I could see them wreaking revenge on Rangers. In a way, I'd like to see that. :D

I'll go for a slim Celtic win though, with JVoH bagging one.

Badabing wrote: »
    The pitch at Hampden park was terrible last night and i presume wont be much beter for tonights game, i hope Strachan still plays Crosas and Brown in the middle tho he'll probably bring in Robson.

Agree the pitch was a disgrace was pleased to see that Rangers played some decent passing football though. Thought Mendes and Novo were great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    Didn't see the match last night, I was watching Crimewatch. ;)

As for tonight, very tough game, United will be gunning for the final, and to be honest, while I'd obviously like to win, I won't be too upset if they go through because I could see them wreaking revenge on Rangers. In a way, I'd like to see that. :D

I'll go for a slim Celtic win though, with JVoH bagging one.

Paulo, what are you saying, you won't be too upset if you lose a cup semi-final! Well I never! Ive read alot of rubbish on this board from supporters, thats right up there though! Well in man!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    Paulo, what are you saying, you won't be too upset if you lose a cup semi-final! Well I never! Ive read alot of rubbish on this board from supporters, thats right up there though! Well in man!!!

Oh get over yourself Brewster. It's quite simple really, but like most things with you, they need a bit of further explanation.

The League Cup is not a competition I get hugely excited about. For me, winning the SPL is the most important thing. Next to that is a good run in Europe. Next to that is the Scottish Cup. Of least interest to me is the League Cup.

Of course I'd like to see Celtic win it, but I don't think there's anything especially shocking about me not being inconsolable should Dundee United get through tonight. They are really the only other team in the SPL that I like, and I do enjoy them giving Rangers a hard time.

It's a personal opinion, nothing else.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Oh get over yourself Brewster. It's quite simple really, but like most things with you, they need a bit of further explanation.

The League Cup is not a competition I get hugely excited about. For me, winning the SPL is the most important thing. Next to that is a good run in Europe. Next to that is the Scottish Cup. Of least interest to me is the League Cup.

Of course I'd like to see Celtic win it, but I don't think there's anything especially shocking about me not being inconsolable should Dundee United get through tonight. They are really the only other team in the SPL that I like, and I do enjoy them giving Rangers a hard time.

It's a personal opinion, nothing else.

Thanks for the explanation!! Was badly needed! Well I truly hope Celtic win, its the day after Scotland Ireland in 6Nations and would be a good end to the weekend for alot of the Irish supporters in Edinburgh.

• Advertisement

Scrappy game so far, that pitch is dreadful which is not helping at all. United out-muscled Celtic for the first half hour, Celtic only started coming into it a bit more towards the end of the first half.

Anyone's game at this point - no room in midfield and the strikers and Naka early on in particular giving the ball away too easily. Crosas picking out some decent passes but he definitely needs more games under his belt. Loovens... how did we spend £3m on him? Don't think Caldwell, Naylor or Hinkel have done much wrong.

The pitch doesn't look too bad to me actually but as soon as you see the ball "rolling" on it you realise how bad it is. It must be near impossible to play on.

Have to say Naka has been brilliant tonight. The best I've seen him this season probably. All over the pitch, attacking and defending. Some beautiful passes.

Crosas and Brown a little quiet but I liked 2 or 3 first time passes from Crosas (takes him an instant to make a pass if its on). McGeady not enjoying this pitch, same goes for McDonald. 2 full backs are doing well. Just wish Caldwell didn't hoof it every time.

Extra time not surprising really. Celtic very poor finishing, so many corners coming to nothing. McGeady not getting an inch, probably best he was hooked.

Hope it's won in extra time by whoever. Feckin' hate penalties.

Penalties now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

if i remember correctly boruc's first touch as a celtic player was a penalty save, nervous time....

This is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have never seen a shoot out like that. First class penalties all round

**** for Dundee United, as exciting a game as it was, what a ****in' ****e way to go out. They caused us major problems.

Mind you, I really thought we were going to finish it in the last 5 mins of extra time.

I have never seen a shoot out like that. First class penalties all round
    Some U21 match. Holland v England I think was like that. Incredible alright.

Can't believe that was a 0-0. One of the most exciting 0-0s I've seen all season. It started at a fast pace with no player getting a second and by extra time it was 100 miles an hour.

Well done for Crosas first of all. The 2nd youngest player on the pitch after Buaben and looked one of the most composed and mature. Got better as the game went on and nobody can question his fitness levels after that game.

Naka had a dodgy 2nd half but came back to life in extra time and was my motm.

I think its unfair writing Loovens off this early. He has plenty of pace in him which is what Celtic lack at the back.

Anyway, am I right in saying we haven't beaten Rangers in a cup final since '89? Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

what score was the pens?

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Some U21 match. Holland v England I think was like that. Incredible alright.

Can't believe that was a 0-0. One of the most exciting 0-0s I've seen all season. It started at a fast pace with no player getting a second and by extra time it was 100 miles an hour.

Well done for Crosas first of all. The 2nd youngest player on the pitch after Buaben and looked one of the most composed and mature. Got better as the game went on and nobody can question his fitness levels after that game.

Naka had a dodgy 2nd half but came back to life in extra time and was my motm.

I think its unfair writing Loovens off this early. He has plenty of pace in him which is what Celtic lack at the back.

Anyway, am I right in saying we haven't beaten Rangers in a cup final since '89? Bring it on!

Your right it was 89 the last time you beat us in a final and bring it on :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Des wrote: »
    what score was the pens?

11-10

what score was the pens?

11-10

Both goalkeepers scored. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

what score was the pens?

11-10, both goalkeepers scored with the 11th penalty :eek:

Edit: I would say the Boruc penalty was the best one as well. Top right hand corner, no chance for any goalkeeper to save it.

Boruc's peno was fantastic alright. Didn't really get much credit on Setanta as only big John thought he meant it. :)

:eek:

Wow, something out of the ordinary in Scottish Football :p

say it was hell to watch eh?

:eek:

Wow, something out of the ordinary in Scottish Football :p

say it was hell to watch eh?
    Dundee Utd v Celtic/Rangers is usually a must see. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7857428.stm

Wages in the English transfer market are unsustainable and it will implode, says Celtic manager Gordon Strachan.

Surely the recession with bring this house of cards down, its killing football everywhere

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7857428.stm

Wages in the English transfer market are unsustainable and it will implode, says Celtic manager Gordon Strachan.

Surely the recession with bring this house of cards down, its killing football everywhere

Case in point being that left-back from Newcastle (José Enrique) there was talk of a few days ago when the McManus story broke. He was quoted as something like "a £40k per week bench warmer". It's gone mad down there.

Suppose it's like the housing market, the bubble has to burst some time. Hard to believe we had the 5th highest wage bill in Britain only a few years ago though. Suppose that changed when Lenny retired. ;)

• Advertisement

Levein was asked what he had said to Flood after his spot-kick heartbreak. He said: "I told him he's a useless wee Celtic git but that was honestly meant as a joke."

:D LOL, hats off to Levein, that's brilliant! :D

Great entertainment, watched extra time and the penalties. Penalties were top drawer, well most of them... However, if anyone thinks Boruc meant to be so precise with peno you are deluded! It was very lucky, he leant back slightly and was lucky it didnt go six foot over.

Great result and a great weekend ahead, Scotland Ireland, Celtic Rangers..

Paulo, I take it you'll be desperate to win league cup once again?!?:pac::D

Paulo, I take it you'll be desperate to win league cup once again?!?:pac::D

Yes, because it's against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

However, if anyone thinks Boruc meant to be so precise with peno you are deluded! It was very lucky, he leant back slightly and was lucky it didnt go six foot over.

laughable!

he took like a slowed down goalkick - the only way goalkeepers know how.
    Goal keepers are taught to to precise with kicks...
    Did you ever watch Kevin Pressman take penalties for Sheffield Wednesday?

laughable!

he took like a slowed down goalkick - the only way goalkeepers know how.
    Goal keepers are taught to to precise with kicks...
    Did you ever watch Kevin Pressman take penalties for Sheffield Wednesday?

Interesting! We'll have to agree to differ... Emailed a few guys this morning asking them did they see the shootout on Setanta, 3 out of 4 highlighted Boruc penalty and said how blessed he was.... Opinions, what makes footie such a great game!

I probably can guess the answer to this, but seeing its an OF final I guess tickets will be hard to come by.. Would you pick up a ticket off a tout say outside ground on the day? I am flying home from Glasgow as it happens, could be a good way to put day in!

Boruc meant to be so precise with peno you are deluded! It was very lucky, he leant back slightly and was lucky it didnt go six foot over.

Look for his penalty during a match for Legia on youtube, the guy is well able to take penos

http://celticfc.net/news/stories/news_070109090116.aspx - 7th Jan 09

http://celticfc.net/news/stories/news_290109103118.aspx -29th Jan 09

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

just wondering if you guys are surprised at the resentment/ hatred for Celtic FC on this forum by the posters. Is it something that comes with the territory when being a avid Celtic fan? i.e. Irish fans automatically thinking you're a "Ra fan"?? I ask this as I posted the question in the "teams you hate" thread. Everyone is so quick to distance themselves from the Irish links/ roots.

spiderdan wrote: »
    just wondering if you guys are surprised at the resentment/ hatred for Celtic FC on this forum by the posters. Is it something that comes with the territory when being a avid Celtic fan? i.e. Irish fans automatically thinking you're a "Ra fan"?? I ask this as I posted the question in the "teams you hate" thread. Everyone is so quick to distance themselves from the Irish links/ roots.

From what I read in that thread, they sound like ignorant stereotyping fools that started following their EPL team (e.g. United & Liverpool) to avoid being slagged at school. They know very little about the history of Celtic and indeed Rangers but act like they know it all. I await a copy and paste session from google to prove their knowledge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

From what I read in that thread, they sound like ignorant stereotyping fools that started following their EPL team (e.g. United & Liverpool) to avoid being slagged at school. They know very little about the history of Celtic and indeed Rangers but act like they know it all. I await a copy and paste session from google to prove their knowledge!

Yeah, cos you really stuck your neck out with originality of your choice of club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, cos you really stuck your neck out with originality of your choice of club!

What are you on about! You write in that hate thread
    ''Celtic are a British club! It's not patriotic to support them. If it's patriotism you want, go support a LOI team''
    You support Liverpool and you come to a Celtic thread giving out as if their part of the monarchy over their. Liverpool are to the fore of 'British' teams. Worst still their English. Stupidy coming out of your mouth monkey! No one on this thread has claimed its patriotic to support them however I will now. It's far more patriotic than liverpool. I'm not going to go into a long speech but the basics are Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow during the famine back home. The reason the club was set up was to raise money for charity for the Irish. It's majority owned by an Irish man. It has Irish ties at every level from players to board members. A tri-colour flys over parkhead. I'm not a 'ra' head and I'm devoted Celt because I love the club. It's a Scottish/Irish club that plays in Scotland.

monkey9 wrote: »

I have better reasons for supporting Celtic than the sheep that started supporting EPL clubs to avoid standing out in school. Now stop following me into different threads to drag them offtopic
    I don't think they so much hate Celtic as hate that some people see them as being Irish as opposed to Scottish.

That and the "skanger" element of fans.

I hate that stereotype. Just because you can buy the jersey doesn't make you a fan tbh

younge wrote: »
    ''Celtic are a British club! It's not patriotic to support them. If it's patriotism you want, go support a LOI team''
    You support Liverpool and you come to a Celtic thread giving out as if their part of the monarchy over their. Liverpool are to the fore of 'British' teams. Worst still their English. Stupidy coming out of your mouth monkey! No one on this thread has claimed its patriotic to support them however I will now. It's far more patriotic than liverpool. I'm not going to go into a long speech but the basics are Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow during the famine back home. The reason the club was set up was to raise money for charity for the Irish. It's majority owned by an Irish man. It has Irish ties at every level from players to board members. A tri-colour flys over parkhead. I'm not a 'ra' head and I'm devoted Celt because I love the club. It's a Scottish/Irish club that plays in Scotland.

Hail Hail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement

I sound like a follower of an English team?

At least I support a real Irish team, not a pretend one.

ziggy wrote: »

I agree with you, but when you have clueless idiots spouting off about it being somehow patriotic for an Irish person to support a Scottish club, it kinda paints the wrong kind of picture of Celtic fans

younge wrote: »

The Famine was from 1845 to 1852 just a wee bit before Celtic were formed

I sound like a follower of an English team?

At least I support a real Irish team, not a pretend one.

That post you quoted was made before any post in that thread today. I wasnt referring to you at the time

As for your 2nd statement, see the post you quoted for the ignorant stereotyping fools bit :rolleyes:

The Famine was from 1845 to 1852 just a wee bit before Celtic were formed

What are you trying to make out??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement